Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite safari book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Kambaku" by Harry Manners and that was a great read I toughroughly enjoyed it.
And now I'm busy with a "Pioneering hunter" by Brian Marsh also very good so far. Some of the stories inside the book as been printed in the Magnum Magazine over the years.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geronomo:

Nyschen's "MONTHS OF THE SUN". I am lucky enough to have a signed copy and to have spent an entire afternoon with Mr. Nyschens four months prior to his passing last year.

I have a copy of his Months of the Sun and really enjoyed it as well.

I've heard mixed reviews, though, about the follow-up book he wrote, "FOOTSTEPS OF AN IVORY HUNTER."

Has anybody read it?

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter was good, but not as well edited and put together as Months of the Sun. Still a good read though.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way I could pick one or even several favorite books. There are just too many good ones and more than a few bad ones.

I will say that if you don't have Richard Harland's 3 books then you are really missing out. Here we have a true Africa legend that is still hunting. You need to contact him for a signed copy. He posts here infrequently as he is often out in the field.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari-Hunt:
Just finished "Kambaku" by Harry Manners and that was a great read I toughroughly enjoyed it.
And now I'm busy with a "Pioneering hunter" by Brian Marsh also very good so far. Some of the stories inside the book as been printed in the Magnum Magazine over the years.

Both are excellent. I just finished them in the last few months. Worth the time and the money.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I am reading "Horned death" By Burger.
Excelent book.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pondoro Last Of The Ivory Hunters by John Taylor

I have an original publication. Cool

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a copy of his Months of the Sun and really enjoyed it as well.

I've heard mixed reviews, though, about the follow-up book he wrote, "FOOTSTEPS OF AN IVORY HUNTER."

Has anybody read

I have read it and I enjoyed the book very much. It is a different type of book than "MONTHS" in that it is more a compilation of many short stories in a more or less chronological order, rather than a single chronology in the style of "MONTHS OF THE SUN". I found the second book so interesting because I had hunted some of the very areas and knew some of the characters mentioned in the book. I would say a worthwhile read for anyone.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat, you did not mention Peter Flack's Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa. I enjoyed that very much.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read Flack's book this summer. Great book and I really enjoyed his chapters on the Tiny Ten, etc.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"A Guiding Son" by John Osborne

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
dogcat, you did not mention Peter Flack's Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa. I enjoyed that very much.

My mistake, it is a very good book and I recommend it. Peter Flack is an outstanding sportsman and hunter.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to vote for Horn of the Hunter also.
Followed by Man eaters of the Tsavo

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my vote goes to "Horn of the Hunter" by Ruark

Posts: 116 | Location: Waterloo, Ontario | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eric 98
posted Hide Post
Kill or Be Killed by Major W. Robert Foran, the kind of man sorely lacking in today's society and one I'd like to have in my corner when TSHTF.

I'll quit buying guns when my wife quits buying shoes.

Posts: 287 | Location: Florida USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100% elephant hunting in Kenya with 1 year foot safari to Lake Turkana. I was fortunate to take a camping trip to the lake. The howling wind, desolation was exactly as decribe. Great read.

Neumann, A. ELEPHANT HUNTING IN EAST EQUATORIAL AFRICA

Another good book on elephant.

Pardal, J. ELEPHANT HUNTING IN PORTUGUESE EAST AFRICA

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order:

1. Horn of the Hunter
2. Death in the Long Grass
3. Mount Kenya to the Cape

These 3 books are the ones that got me hooked on Africa.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Search for the spiral horn" by Craig Boddington

Posts: 7 | Location: Rakkestad, Norway | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Favorate book is African Rifles and Cartridges By John Taylor. I have an interest in rifles used. There is another one also that is a very good read can't think of the name tho.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choices:
1. use enough gun
2. Horn of the Hunter
3. Man eaters of Kumaon by J Corbett.
4. My India, J corbett
ken andersen was a nut: hunting tigers with a .405!

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love Safari By Elmer Keith.Its a fine book for double rifle lovers.I still have three copies of it.I like all of John Taylors books and Robert Ruarks.I think African Game Trails by Teddy Roosevelt is the story of the greastest Safari ever in the 20th century.I just shot a 405 Winchester in a 1895 Winchester and love it ,gotta have one.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Death in the Long Grass--PHC

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Use Enough Gun.

\
I knew it. I am psychic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my absolute favorites is the very elegant Out in the Blue by Vivienne de Watteville.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Dogcat: You are psychic! dancing

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter - Ruark
Killers in Africa- Lake
Months of the Sun- Nyschens
Karamojo Safari- Bell
The Upsidedown Tree- Hardy Kruger

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone read "Mambas and Man-eaters" by Ionides?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Dogcat: You are psychic! dancing

Psychotic is more likely.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Finished "Pioneering Hunter" by Brian Marsh this weekend.

Fabulous book, Marsh was one of the first professional hunters in ZIM and the well known Roy Vincent also worked for him when they were cropping game for meat.

Very realistic with no imaginery nonsense true to hunting as it was not so long ago. Excellent read and would recommend it for anyone. thumb

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote