New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video with LONG range shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If one goes the following website, they have an excellent video of some serious long range shooting in Africa. The longest shot was something over 1100 yards! The gun appears to be very high tech. I believe it is called Tracking Point.

www.ezulugamereserve.com

Click on the blog.

Enjoy.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Charles Price was talking to me about that in Reno. He said it's not quite as easy as it looks, but it's definitely an incredible machine and makes those shots much easier than with traditional equipment (or even equipment built for long range shooting).

I hadn't seen the video, very well done!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me 'n R2D2 go huntin'... a exactly how is this different from the guy offering "remote hunting" over the internet?

I have a long range rig and I have shot game over 500 yds with it, but, this doesn't seem to offer the same type of challenge as actually putting some work into it. Now, obviously, they make it sound fall off a log easy (that in itself might be a problem) and it probably does require serious practice. Still, this seems creepy techno to me.

I shoot prairie dogs but prefer to hunt larger game...

I doubt this will get out of hand given the $17,500.00 price for the "entry level" unit.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone told me that the gun as equipped was $32,000. Not sure of that is true or not.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brian simmons
posted Hide Post
i stayed at the river lodge and there are extremyl long shots there charles is a great guy

brian r simmons

Posts: 186 | Location: nj | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
April from tracking point won our prize draw at DSC. she was saying that having done no shooting before she was hitting targets at 700 yards.

Quite some feat.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thing doesn't solve the problem of wind deflection, which is what separates the men from the boys. (He had some good hits, but that kudu was a bad shot - he hit it way too far back...lucky it hit the spine.

The only thing really new is the trigger that locks on.

Even if you buy one, I am guessing that there is significant risk such a system, esp the trigger, will be made illegal for hunting, at least here in the US.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brian simmons:
i stayed at the river lodge and there are extremyl long shots there charles is a great guy

Yes he is, and that camp is great (my favorite). All of their camps are great really.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Someone told me that the gun as equipped was $32,000. Not sure of that is true or not.

Their website says $20,000.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ethics aside, that's a pretty neat toy. Looks like the gun locks on target, and fires when the crosshairs cross the game.

As AAZW said, the wind is your biggest factor. Wind blows from different directions in hilly terrain. You may have 5kt wind from 270 where you are but the bullet will travel through many different "wind zones" if you will, changes in speed, direction, not to mention updrafts and downdrafts.

This is where the ethics comes in.

First, some of those shots were clearly marginal kill shots. Too far back and high up on the Kudu, far back on the eland. You gotta wonder how many times they missed and didn't put it in the film. I wonder how many animals were wounded and lost?

Looks like a good tool for military use. Pig and varmint eradication, but I wouldn't personally use it for sport. But ... that's just me.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My Mcaffee blocks the site as malicious!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11195 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I am old fashioned, but there is a difference between shooting and hunting.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
in my opinion, this is shooting, not hunting. One could use a wire guided missile and achieve the same result, but it wouldn't be "hunting" as I (and, I would venture to say, a number of others) would opine. Not the same as the gentleman with the remote controlled, internet guided, deer "hunt" reported on these pages, but close. I am personally disgusted by this wanton display of technology for obliterating game animals.

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I found that pretty unsettling. I surprised that some of you seem excited about this.

Even with very limited use I could see something like this really hurting hunting.

I hope this type of technology is made illegal for hunting before the antis have a chance to use it against us.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
First drones, now this...what's next, some hunter asking his PH to kill the animal for him...oh..wait... nevermind...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disgusting.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Disgusting.

Just wait until they perfect Doppler laser anemometers...then you can calculate the wind drift in real time...until of course, it changes during the more than one second it takes to fly 1000 yards.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I found that pretty unsettling. I surprised that some of you seem excited about this.

Even with very limited use I could see something like this really hurting hunting.

I hope this type of technology is made illegal for hunting before the antis have a chance to use it against us.

Just to be clear - I'm with you on this. I don't think it's ethical or even considered hunting when you get into this type of technology. Mark my words, it will be illegal for hunting in the US and frankly I'm surprised they could clear customs in RSA with that kind of gun. The video had good production value (almost looked like they used a helicopter in some of the shots), that's all I was saying.

It's an interesting weapon, and would be fun to shoot at long range, stationary and non-animal targets. I like my gadgets as much as the next guy, but this thing takes it overboard when used in a hunting scenario.

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jason:

I said this on the LR hunting site, but let's assume this thing kills every thing you aim at. The success rate on animals would skyrocket, esp big mature animals. That will force game departments to issue even less tags for rifle hunters, resulting in a loss of revenue (AZ gets $7 per application plus a non res hunting license if you want a P point). The lack of drawing odds and/or higher fees will discourage even more hunters from continuing to hunt.

We as hunters could easily convince game departments to make this illegal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great for a military application but it aint hunting!

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Jason:

I said this on the LR hunting site, but let's assume this thing kills every thing you aim at. The success rate on animals would skyrocket, esp big mature animals. That will force game departments to issue even less tags for rifle hunters, resulting in a loss of revenue (AZ gets $7 per application plus a non res hunting license if you want a P point). The lack of drawing odds and/or higher fees will discourage even more hunters from continuing to hunt.

We as hunters could easily convince game departments to make this illegal.

Interesting point. However the price tag will prevent this from happening anytime soon. This will be adopted by military ... Maybe not here Roll Eyes but the developers will sell it to someone.

Even if the price drops by 50%, very few of your everyday Joe's would be able to afford, much less even want one.

Than goodness.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting military setup for sure.A group of guys with these things in 50 cal could do some serious harm. But it is not hunting. I'm not sure that it is great shooting either if the gun does everything for you???
JCHB

Posts: 421 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot every week at long range. This setup will do absolutely nothing for me. When I miss, it is due to wind. At 800 yards even a .338 300 SMK drifts 2.5 inches for every mile of wind. Even if you can hold 1/2 MOA, or four inches, you need to estimate the wind within 1.2 inches before you begin missing (because your bullet may be 2 inches to one side just because you can't shoot a one hole group). TOF is one second.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I watched the whole thing and have no idea how that thing works.

But it seems as though all the "shooter" does is wave it in the general direction of the animal and wait for it to go off.

Not my style. Way too high tech.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13618 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great. More animals being shot at from ranges of a kilometer. Bullet flight times of a second or more, giving the target animal time to move several feet. More wounding, more lost game. That'll certainly improve the image of hunting and hunters.

Here it comes now..."As long as its legal, do what you like."

LEGAL OR NOT, I am certain that most hunters will agree that this is unethical. Shooting at steel or paper targets? Have at it. Military snipers? Everything's fair...it's not a game. But hunting? Please!!!

I'll say it (after all, name-calling is legal, isn't it?): The guy in the video, shooting at flighty animals like Springbok, a kilometer away...is an UNETHICAL, AMORAL JERK.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
jwm:

I owe you a beer...

Cheers

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
jwm:

I owe you a beer...

Cheers

I'll buy him another. Well said JWM!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know, until we start writing/emailing to the companies that sponsor shows like "Best of the West," it is just going to keep getting worse.

When I hunted in the Yukon they told me my hunt was done if I drew blood. Why? Too many long range "experts" have wounded too much game.

Boddington has an excellent story in the current issue of Rifle Shooter (I think it was that). I do admire the way he has come out against all of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:

I'll say it (after all, name-calling is legal, isn't it?): The guy in the video, shooting at flighty animals like Springbok, a kilometer away...is an UNETHICAL, AMORAL JERK.

Inclusive of all those involved, i.e. Ranch owner/outfitter who had a vested interest in this promotional display.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fall of Rome as demonstrated in modern hunting culture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It takes the thrill of the hunt out of the experience for me :-(

Posts: 20159 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are close to being able to let you hunt off your PC and pull the trigger with your mouse. No need to travel. Just photoshop your mug in the trophy shot and send the trophy to you.

Mac

Posts: 1746 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'll never know how much game is wounded or lost, or both by the long range "wannabes". Anybody who says they can dope an inconsistent, swirling wind consistently is full of crap.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
If one goes the following website, they have an excellent video of some serious long range shooting in Africa. The longest shot was something over 1100 yards! The gun appears to be very high tech. I believe it is called Tracking Point.

www.ezulugamereserve.com

Click on the blog.

Enjoy.

has anyone hunted with this outfit? Looks like a place I can get the wife to go too.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
This thing doesn't solve the problem of wind deflection, which is what separates the men from the boys. (He had some good hits, but that kudu was a bad shot - he hit it way too far back...lucky it hit the spine.

The only thing really new is the trigger that locks on.

Even if you buy one, I am guessing that there is significant risk such a system, esp the trigger, will be made illegal for hunting, at least here in the US.

the 1100 yard spring buck he needed to add in about another mil and half of wind. he was way too far forward....As for the rifle its just a AI and a Surgeon action, nothing special there. But that scope, well i guess its nice till you drop it. Being a former Army bolt gun shooter, I like my stuff a little more robust then what that thing looked like.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hunting with Ezulu in September and I am bringing my wife. When my wife comes with me to Africa I tend to select nicer places so she is comfortable.

I talked with a rep from Tracking Point at SCI mostly because I was curious and had seen the promo on Ezulu's website. The rep told me that the military is definitely interested. I wouldn't hunt with it but I think it has great potential for our troops.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Careful what you are advocating here. This is not my cup of tea, but I don't think the answer is to outlaw it. That's the other side's argument. No "military weapons", "assault rifles", "high capacity magazines", etc. Let's not join their ranks.

Posts: 10311 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We don't have to make it illegal. We just have to shun people who do it. The power of the group and not Government is needed.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
C'mon guys. I do this on a regular basis with my .600 and 4-bore!
Seriously, this is an embarrassment to what is our passion. There was no hunting here. No tracking. No keeping the wind in the correct direction. In fact, there was no good shooting. Using high tech and computers and all the other gadgets takes the skill out of shooting. There was nothing here but a gent who wanted to prove himself. He can't hunt and he can't shoot so he takes the easy (albeit expensive) way out. Excuse my language, but an absolute piece of shit.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
C'mon guys. I do this on a regular basis with my .600 and 4-bore!
Seriously, this is an embarrassment to what is our passion. There was no hunting here. No tracking. No keeping the wind in the correct direction. In fact, there was no good shooting. Using high tech and computers and all the other gadgets takes the skill out of shooting. There was nothing here but a gent who wanted to prove himself. He can't hunt and he can't shoot so he takes the easy (albeit expensive) way out. Excuse my language, but an absolute piece of shit.
Cal

I agree with Cal, being a long ranger shooter, I can tell you it takes years of practice. Just to read the wind alone has taken years behind the glass. It's hunting when you do it your self, not when a computer says shoot here.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member