New
Find
Notify
Tools

an imaginary question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i just watched track where a guy shoots a buff and they had to chase the lions off the carcass. so, if you shoot a buff and a pride of lions claim the thing and won't let anyone close. you have to abandon the carcass - do you pay the trophy fee?? You shot it, drew blood, killed it etc. but there are no lions on quota, you could not scare them off etc. do you still pay the trophy fee?? i know this is really off the collar but what??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
yes, those photos would be more worth than some buff on the wall or a nice "trophy photo".

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
And you get a skull mount with chew marks on the nose! Big Grin

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I would expect to pay the trophy fee. The lion stealing your buffalo is beyond anybodys control and just part of your safari "experience". I personally would think it was pretty cool. I expect the horns could somehow be retrieved makng a unique trophy.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NUTS

That just aint right--if its dead and we can find it , its up to the Company to retreive it.

Part of what you are paying for is care of the trophy--well-take care of it.

What would be next-its to dark or its muddy?

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Cross L, it all depends on who you ask and whether they have been on a safari or not. Not meaning to be down on any one, but for some people Africa is a One Time deal. there won't be no going back and collecting a second trophy or a better trophy, and unlike say Kodiak Island where if a brown bear confiscates your deer, you just go and shoot another deer, you can't do that with Cape Buffalo.

It is the possibility of situations like that happening that kept me from trying to go to Kodiak. It gets pretty easy for people that are not paying for what may be a person's Once In A life Time Hunt, to give their thoughts on the intrinsic values of a particular "trophy", but their attitude might be completely different if they are the one paying for the hunt.

On the other side of the coin however, I am not sure that even a pride of lions would be so bold as to try and claim a carcass with an armed hunting party in the area.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will still be able to retrieve the horns and I suspect the Safari Co. will have at least one hunter that doesn't want his cape that they can make available to you.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I think that would technically fit under the "Acts of God" clause in your contract.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the same show. I said to my wife they need a really big squirt bottle of water.
The trackers were pretty aggressive to the lion, yelling and throwing rocks at it. It took off fast.
Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just want to experience having a lion take my buffalo carcass. Sounds like a WAY COOL experience.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the PH cant chase off a few lion then I would not feel very safe in his company.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told of a case in Zim several years ago where PH and Client were coming in riding in the cab of the bakkie and wife and dau were on safari seat with game scout and tracker. A lioness lept in the back to take the Buffalo. Tracker managed to beat it back from fighting with the ladies over possession and PH had a back up gun that he jammed in lioness head and killed her....after much discussion, Game Scout decided too much paperwork would be involved and disposal was undertaken.

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you draw blood you bought it, even if no trphy is retrieved. I have actually heard of two seperate instances, and I am sure it has happened more than twice, where wounded leopards were ripped to bits by Hyenas before PH and crew could recover them. Client still had to pay trphy fees. Actually had another client that shot a leopard in Moz 3 years ago and hyena circled and harrased them until the truck arrived trying to get at the dead cat.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The imaginary answer is that all you have to do when you see this:

Or this:

Is just run straight at them clapping your hands and shouting SHOO!

Roll Eyes

But of course........ you might not get the reaction you want!

animal

All pics are my copyright BTW.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smarterthanu:
Once you draw blood you bought it, even if no trphy is retrieved. .

Absolutely spot on right! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just chase the lions off. It is not that difficult. I had a pride of eleven lions feeding on a tuskless ele cow we had returned to butcher and they buggered off as soon as they saw us. It was daylight though, might be a different story at night.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, a buffalo trophy fee would be a small price for an experience like that. A lion chewed skull mount would be way more interesting than conventional taxidermy and trophy photos.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Is just run straight at them clapping your hands and shouting SHOO!

"What was your word...'shoo'?", turning towards the buff,"SHOO!!!"

"Why, thats a mighy powerful word you got there, Baroness.", as the herd thunders off.
Robert Redford as DF-H.

If you could say it like Redford, I'm sure it work on a pride of lions as well. Wink

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You never can tell what lions are going to do. One day (or night) you can walk or drive into them and they'll run for the hills. The next, they might confront you and the next they might treat you with the utmost distain.

Some years ago I had an entire pride decide that wanted to eat the staff and night after night, they came into camp and terrorised the guys...... we even chased them with trucks and they just stepped into the bush as we went by and out again as we passed.

The client wrote a piece for Man Magnum about it if I remember correctly. old

BwanaCole,

It'll only work if you clap your hands together at the same time. (Just like in the Wizard of Oz) jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clapping your hands together is kinda like bending over putting your head tightly between your knee's and kissing your ass good bye isn't it??? shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
clapping your hands together is kinda like bending over putting your head tightly between your knee's and kissing your ass good bye isn't it??? shocker

Yup........ but it'd be bloody funny to watch. animal

You need to clap & shout SHOO! at the same time to make it work! jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:

Not if you look like R R, which you miss by a bunch.

jumping

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
By a WHOLE bunch of bunches! animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose a load of birdshot in the tail would be out of the question...

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Ask your PH if it is a good Lion (6 years plus) and if affirmative then shoot it. Your buffalo would then priced as a bait animal.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hyenas win and you dont even get horns and skull because they ate then too....but you pay!.....unlees Game Scout bribe is big enuff! Then you start over.....

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I watched the same show. I said to my wife they need a really big squirt bottle of water.
The trackers were pretty aggressive to the lion, yelling and throwing rocks at it. It took off fast.
Mark

I would pay the trophy fee jsut to watch someone go after a pride of feeding lions armed with a squirt bottle!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
yes, those photos would be more worth than some buff on the wall or a nice "trophy photo".
Hell, yes. I would pay even more to be part of that Big Grin

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it never done to use lit, hand held torches to move off such beasts?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ever watch the Nature shows where they got fugging spotlights on Lions pursuing a kill and they ignore them???

One very small spot of brown gut material cost me a trophy fee once allbeit not a large one....move on and pay up!

The answer to the question, "Are you winning?" becomes NO! in this instance!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a lion in May. The others moved off a bit and returned. One ate the bait while another lay down at the base of our tree stand. Shining a very bright torch in their eyes caused them to blink but not move off. When the truck came, they moved off but just a bit, while we loaded the lion and skedaddled. The next day, in broad daylight, we returned to get all our stuff and there was still one there.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.