info@namibianhunter.com.na
www.huntingnamibia.de

In total we shot:

4 Kudu - best was 51", due to the rains the big bulls were up in the hills
3 Zebra - 3 stallions, one was a real monster
2 Oryx - best was 41 3/4" bull
3 Springbok - two of them were 17"
2 Wild cats
1 Leopard - 5'9" female (shot over bait at last light)
1 Eland - 35.5"
1 Warthog - for bait
1 Blessbok - cant remember the size, but it was above avg.
1 Harteebeast - as above
1 Impala - 21"

Guns used: 375 H&H (300 grn A frames) and 300 WSM (180 grn Fail Safe). The 375 performed superbly. The 300 WSM with the FS were another story. FS's are the lousiest bullet I have ever seen. Yes all the animals died and yes the mushroom is lovely. BUT the bullets are just too hard, behaved more like a solid than a SN. A springbok shot in the shoulder at 50 yards, took 5 minutes to drop, behaved as if it was shot with a bow! I am not 100% sure but it looks like it went back to eating grass, more likely had its head down with the shock! The impala shot just off center in the chest ran off like nothing happened. We were lucky to find it in the long grass, the bullet was found in the rear leg. With a softer bullet that animal would have crumpled to the shot. Both oryx ran 60 yards before dropping with perfect shoulder shots, exit holes were same as entry holes.NO MORE FAIL SAFE.

Flights booked thru Kathi (wild Travel 708 425 3552). Best travel agent in the business. We took off late from ATL, so missed our connection to Windhoek. Kathi was in touch all the time and called me as soon as we stepped off the plane in Joburg, she did her best to put us on to the Air Namibia flt but it was full so we had to overnite in SA. I strongly advise using her, next time you travel to Africa.

Namibia: Unfortunately we didnt get to see much of the country. Loved what we saw. Heaviest rain in 95 years! Grass was over a foot high. Fortunately the terrain was still firm enough to drive around. Many other farms can't hunt with the ground being soaked.

Dirk and Rita are the best. We wanted for nothing. Rita runs a super house and we were very comfortable. The food is best described as gourmet cooking. Dirk is a great PH, and was a pleasure to hunt with. He is very knowledgeable about the country, game, rifles, etc.

I can highly recommend hunting with them. They hope to have a booth at the SCI show and that will be a great place to make contact with them and meet them personally. If you have any further Qs feel free to PM me. I will add pix of our trip in due course.

Lastly we ended up staying the night in Joburg. I called Louis of Afton Guest House from the airport and he was there to meet us in 10 mts eventhough we had no prior booking. As always he and his wife Annelise were great. Thanks to them for everything. he can be reached at aftongh@netactive.co.za, Louis can also arrange gun permits in advance.

We just left our guns and checked baggage in bond, so did not have to worry about clearing guns in SA. I strongly advise all hunters to do the same, leave your guns and checked baggage in bond and overnite in Joburg instead of trying to connect all the way through to your final destination, as you will probably miss your connection, a few hours to connect is not enough time in long distance travel in Africa, most times!!!

51" Kudu - 250 yards with 375 H&H

Hartebeest -180 yards, 300 WSM

Kudu 50" - 300 yards, 300 WSM

We didn't shoot everything!

The second zebra shot minutes after the 1st one - a truly massive stallion, 375H&H, 250 yards.

Both zebras together. The big stallion is on the left. First one was shot at 80 yards with 375H&H, while examining it we saw the herd going up a hill about 250 yards away. Set up for the shot and got the bigger stallion, also with 375H&H.

17" Springbok, 50 yards, 300 WSM

The smaller 17" springbok, the bases were thinner. 50 yards, 375 H&H

41 3/4" Oryx Bull, 60 yards, 300 WSM

Leopard - 375H&H, from blind, 50 yards.

The 1st Oryx also a bull, shot with 300 WSM, about 50 yards.

Eland bull 35.5", 375H&H, about 100 yards. 1st animal of the trip.

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip -- I look forward to your pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics, we need pics. Sounds like a great hunt.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!

What effect would you say the heavy rains have had on the hunting in Namibia this year? I leave for Namibia in 31 days.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
reddy375,

Sounds like a great hunt!

Lets see some pics...... Smiler

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
reddy375
Could you please give details on bullet performance with the 375H&H with the SAF and your final thoughts of this combo.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great safari.

For reference a couple of links:

Afton Guest House

Rifle Permits

I'm also going to add a link to this report in the Hunting Reports - Africa Forum.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Magnificent Gemsbok, and a gorgeous Sako Safari .375 (isn't it?) Thanks for the pictures as they so add to a wonderful hunt report.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great hunt! Dirk and Rita are great folks to hunt with.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a wonderful hunt! Impressing trophies indeed..
Memories from Namibia is getting very strong when I read such reports.
Thanks for sharing!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
reddy375,

congrats on a fine safari and good shooting...That 375 really works...What bullets were you shooting??

Mike

13 weeks till the Selous

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Great report and pics. Thanks for sharing with us.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why was a Gemsbock in a Car Wash???? Wink

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WORLDHUNTER1:
reddy375
Could you please give details on bullet performance with the 375H&H with the SAF and your final thoughts of this combo.

I think its probably the best soft nosed bullet for the 375 H&H. I have used it now from Springbok to Hippo and Buffalo and it worked fine. It expands well and is also hard enough for good penetration as well. In terms of penetration I shot a blessbok up the backside and the bullet was found in the chest, that"s close to 3 feet of penetration!

Posts: 2539 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt, congrats. Those springbok were huge! First bad reports I have heard with the Failsafe bullets though! Oh well...least they all ended up in the salt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap clap clap

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
World class Springbok and Oryx and a Leopard on the last day, Not to bad ! I still find it unbelievable Dirk's daily rate is only $165 (US) for a 1x1 hunt and you can shoot a Leopard ! Did you shoot any jackals? How many snakes did you come across? I can't wait to go back (Sept.07) I hope you guys leave a few Oryx and Kudu

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still find it unbelievable Dirk's daily rate is only $165 (US) for a 1x1 hunt and you can shoot a Leopard!

After he pays for booth at SCI, he may have to raise his rates. I would think he would be better served going to the Dallas and Houston Safari Shows.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Great pictures...Congrats on your hunt.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a good hunt. Those Springbok are monsters and a 41" male gemsbok to boot! Well done!!

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
nice report and photos. i have a hunt with Dirk in august.
the FAIL SAFES do suck! worst bullet ever! i tested them a few years back for winchester in .338winMag on a Wy elk hunt. i reported my findings(same as yours). i HATE to hear when anyone uses them. use regular not unleaded!!!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your nice trophies! Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos and report. Where will you be heading next?

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redy375,

FS performance....you say they have a lovely mushroom,but you are not happy with the size/dia.of the mushroom, is that correct?
How quick did the Kudu(300yds),and Hartebeest(180yd) go down, when hit with the failsafe?

On lighter game, I have had good sucess with FS.
320-350yds shots on wild boar with 230gn/338win.Some drop very quickly,others ran short distance,plenty blood. I was surprised how quick they killed at such distance on such relative light built animal.
Those SakoSafaris are a nice rig.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I too am hoping to go with this group in '08. Love to hear more.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Those are some great animals. Thanks for sharing.

In our local guiding business I've been quite impressed with the results of the Fail Safe bullets. My hunting partner made ELEVEN one-shot-kills in Namibia with them. After each animal fell in it's tracks, the PH would say, "What was that bullet again?" He was shooting the 230gr. in a .330 Dakota.

I guess as with so many other products.... Your mileage may vary."

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt. Looks like a great group of trophies!!!

Also, I really like the photo of the giraffe peering over the tree tops - now that's Africa!!!

Nice report on a good outfit.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic hunt.Fine pictures.

Best-Locksley,R.

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine hunt and sime superb trophies. Just a request - could you post pics on the Indians4Guns forum to cheer up the boys over there? They are trying hard to get a trust formed to promote hunting and conservation in India and need all the help they could get.

Thanks and congratulations again,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your pic of the two giraffes poking their heads up belongs in National Geographic!
I had a hunt lined up with Dirk this spring and had to cancel it...now I regret that!
ScottW

SCI, NRA Life Member

Warm trails and blue skies!

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and your friend on a wounderfull hunting trip and i also nice oryx and kudu. thumb

Hamdeni cheers

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Mad (the look of jealousy)

great trophies! cheers

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you had a wonderful safari. My wife, my 2 best friends and I have a 14 day unt booked with Dirk in June 07.I am recuperating from rotator cuff surgery and Africa is constantly on my mind. PM with any advice you may have. Thanks, Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Federal has just come out with a new 300 WSM load. A 180 grain Barnes MRX. I think it might solve your Fail Safe woes.

Posts: 1 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cheers Great looking photos and report. My wife and I are booked for Sept/Oct with Dirk & Rita. Will have to see how to get there since SAA is pulling out of Atlanta.

Posts: 188 | Location: Northern, Tennesse | Registered: 19 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
ARTP:
Check on flying from Seattle or LA to Amsterdam or Frankfurt. We flew with KLM/NW. Namibian Airlines flies from Frankfurt to Windhoek, I think. You can bypass the paperwork hassles at Joburg and it cuts the flight time down by a couple hours each way.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! looks like a great time, I am really impressed with that monster gemsbok. It's been almost a year since I went, and looks like another one or two before I get to go again. Don't hesitate to fill in with a story or two for those of us who can't go as often as we would like.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reddy375

What was leopard hunting like on Dirks ranch?
What would you do different if you were to go back and hunt with Dirk?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote