Find
Notify
Tools

Mark Sullivan and SCI Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ExpressYourself
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see this topic has returned as I believe the SCI Executive Board has imposed a political decision in the hopes that it is perceived as something else. Any type of expulsion or limitation to SCI membership should not occur without transparency and due process.

I have spoken up for Mark on AR regarding this topic and directly with SCI as well. I consider Mark a friend, but with that being said, SCI owes him and the membership a detailed explanation or should allow him to return immediately with full privileges at the convention.

I look forward to Mark’s decision to join the AR forum and allowing more to learn about this topic. I also hope this will motivate SCI members to call and write SCI to respectfully request this issue is addressed fully and openly with Mark and the SCI membership.

Shawn Joyce
Diizche Safari Adventures
P.O. Box 1445
Lincoln, CA 95648
E-mail: shawn.joyce@diizchesafariadventures.net
Cell: (916) 804-3318

Shoot Straight, Live the Dream, and Keep Turning the Pages to Your Next Adventure!™
Website- www.DiizcheSafariAdventures.com
Blog- http://diizchesafari.blogspot.com/
Twitter- http://twitter.com/DiizcheSafari
YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/user/shawncjoyce
Facebook- http://on.fb.me/gYytdn
Instagram: diizchesafari_official

Posts: 874 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 24 January 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know a lot of you can name many more, but let's get to the bottom of this one first?

Why?

There has been a lot more important things SCI was up to we wanted to get to the bottom of.

How come this has taken precedence over others?

Regardless how important this is, it pales into insignificance when compared with what we have been asking before.

I am not holding my breath of getting any sense out of the SCI management, let alone their so called "ethics" committee. Who by the sound of it does not even know what the word means.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I bought a Mark Sullivan video back when I was a teenager and didn't know who he was.
yes the video has a couple charges in it. Of course before the charge instead of just finishing the animals off he has to stand in from of the camera and give his spill about letting the animal choose how it wants to die and all that.
The video would be good to use as firewood

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Nobody has answered the question yet; was MS allowed to exhibit at DSC in 2010?

regards to you all,

Rich
DRSS

Rich I answered your question right below the post where you asked it!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Mark Sullivan and he explained to me that he has registered to be a member of this site(accurate reloading),he will be registered using his name(mark sullivan),he also explained to me(capebuf)that he will answer any questions that people want to ask him and also the BS that people have made up about him,he will be posting by tomorrow.Mark welcome aboard glad to have you...........

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
My suggestion is that everyone here who is a member of SCI and anyone else who thinks MS is getting the shaft from SCI, flood the Tucson office with calls or e-mails on this subject. I am out of my office right now but will try to get a name, number or e-mail address of a person, other than the receptionist who will get the full jest of our complaints and concerns. If anyone else can get this info prior to my doing so please post it here please. This elitist Executive Board arrogance and silence to the general membership needs to cease.

I really think if we can raise enough concern down there in Tucson and the Board sees enough input from members something will be done???

It's just like all other things political, we have to make the effort and make the call/calls. Most here know I am an real supporter of SCI, but this is one of the only things in over 12 years of membership than has me concerned about their behavior. I know a lot of you can name many more, but let's get to the bottom of this one first?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry,

If you or someone posts contact info for the correct person to whom correspondance should be sent, I will be among those writing to demand an explanation.

Unfortunately, though noble I think the effort will be unrewarding. Those who make the rules rarely believe the rules apply to them. We see it in all walks of life.

My father, a longshoreman and far smarter man than I, often says of these people:

"Money talks, bullshit walks."

Translation: for some, only a substantial hit to the wallet has any impact on their behavior.

I hope he is wrong on this one - but I doubt it.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I for one will welcome MS to the AR forum and believe he has a lot he can add to it. I also believe he will be candid and forthright as there is nothing to be gained and much to be lost if he were deceptive. Unlike OOA, I've never heard anyone who actually hunted with Mark say anything negative about their experience, and in fact are quite supportive of his skill and ability.

The American sense of justice and fair play has been trampled upon by SCIs actions re:MS. This has resulted in a backlash in support of Mark and against SCI. This is as it should be.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I for one will welcome MS to the AR forum and believe he has a lot he can add to it. I also believe he will be candid and forthright as there is nothing to be gained and much to be lost if he were deceptive. Unlike OOA, I've never heard anyone who actually hunted with Mark say anything negative about their experience, and in fact are quite supportive of his skill and ability.

The American sense of justice and fair play has been trampled upon by SCIs actions re:MS. This has resulted in a backlash in support of Mark and against SCI. This is as it should be.

This sure is a weird day, I am agreeing with Lionhunter. bewildered

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
There you go, AR can bring together anyone. Glad we are of the same mind on this one, John. wave

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capebuf:
I just got off the phone with Mark Sullivan and he explained to me that he has registered to be a member of this site(accurate reloading),he will be registered using his name(mark sullivan),he also explained to me(capebuf)that he will answer any questions that people want to ask him and also the BS that people have made up about him,he will be posting by tomorrow.Mark welcome aboard glad to have you...........

popcorn

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all this MS talk, I've got a hankering to sit down and watch ALL his movies..

Any of you detractors own the complete set of DVD's and want to get rid of them?? Let me know. I'd like to buy them.

I had 4 or 5 of them from years ago, but they were on VHS tape..haven't seen the last few from the last 8-9 years or so..

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something to think about....

I have NEVER heard a SINGLE bad work from anyone that has ACTUALLY hunted with him...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have often been a detractor of MS here for various reasons, but i feel he got the shaft there( ESPECIALLY WHEN FORMER PRESIDENT MIKE SIMPSON ADMITTED TO SHOOTING GAME FROM A CHOPPER AND ETHICAL ISSUES WERE NOT RAISED).this really pisses me off to the extent that i am seriously considering cancelling my membership and attending the DSC convention instead. i may not agree with someone's hunting tactics but i sure as hell think they deserve a fair hearing before their accusers- everyone knows the SCI Executive Board is the epitome of the "good ole boys" club.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13390 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capebuf:

Excellent. I look forward to MS telling his side of the story.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
There you go, AR can bring together anyone. Glad we are of the same mind on this one, John. wave

There must have been "divine intervention". Wink

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
I bought a Mark Sullivan video back when I was a teenager
great to hear of a teen interested in african hunting..
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:
he has to stand in from of the camera and give his spill

I think you meant schpeel, right?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
no one in our justice system understands those word any more either.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Want to feel sorry and outraged by the treatment someone is getting? Save it for the estimated 100,000 people in China who are imprisoned every year ...

Mark Sullivan is Chinese?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if Mark Sullivan is banned from Dallas Safari Club?

This is so simple to correct...support Dallas Safari Club and not SCI. Visit Mark Sullivan's booth in Dallas. Tell Sullivan how you really feel about him, shake his hand and book a hunt with anyone you want in Africa.

Let the free market determine the fate of Mark Sullivan...and SCI!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
My suggestion is that everyone here who is a member of SCI and anyone else who thinks MS is getting the shaft from SCI, flood the Tucson office with calls or e-mails on this subject. I am out of my office right now but will try to get a name, number or e-mail address of a person, other than the receptionist who will get the full jest of our complaints and concerns. If anyone else can get this info prior to my doing so please post it here please. This elitist Executive Board arrogance and silence to the general membership needs to cease.

I really think if we can raise enough concern down there in Tucson and the Board sees enough input from members something will be done???

It's just like all other things political, we have to make the effort and make the call/calls. Most here know I am an real supporter of SCI, but this is one of the only things in over 12 years of membership than has me concerned about their behavior. I know a lot of you can name many more, but let's get to the bottom of this one first?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry,

If you or someone posts contact info for the correct person to whom correspondance should be sent, I will be among those writing to demand an explanation.

Unfortunately, though noble I think the effort will be unrewarding. Those who make the rules rarely believe the rules apply to them. We see it in all walks of life.

My father, a longshoreman and far smarter man than I, often says of these people:

"Money talks, bullshit walks."

Translation: for some, only a substantial hit to the wallet has any impact on their behavior.

I hope he is wrong on this one - but I doubt it.

Paul is right. I will go to Dallas this winter and if SCI adjusts its secrecy policy, I will go to Reno also. If not, Dallas will do.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Something to think about....

I have NEVER heard a SINGLE bad work from anyone that has ACTUALLY hunted with him...

Me neither. I have met MS only once and he was quite decent. We have mutual friends, who also are PH's, and I respect their opinions of him greatly. Any time he was spoken of, it was in a positive light. That's good enough for me.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Regarding Mr. Sullivan joining AR to answer questions:
If I were you Mark, I wouldn't bother. What, at one time, was an enjoyable daily visit to AR too soon became more irritating than tsetse bites on your ankles. Now, I go months without logging on revisiting only to find more flaming, personal attacks, self-proclaimed "experts" criticizing another man's trophies and vulgarity.
While you, Mr. Sullivan, may need SCI from a business standpoint, you certainly don't need the abuse I expect will be heaped on you by your detractors on AR. SCI isn't the only place lacking ethics.
Good luck and good hunting.
Dave Payne
Llano, CA

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an SCI member, I find the board's actions toward Mr. Sullivan to be very high handed. What I find very humourous is in the past at an annual sportsman's show here in Pittsburgh the local chapter of SCI would have Mark Sullivan videos playing non stop as tickets and memberships were being sold. There are some very high ranking SCI members in this local chapter. I guess Mark Sullivan can help sell tickets but can't go to the big dance.
It is too bad Allen Day has passed. He was a regular with Sullivan and a no nonsense kind of guy. I wish he were still alive to comment on some of the cheap shot comments being posted. I'm still waiting for the first person who hunted with him to step forward negatively.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've missed you Dave...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
horse horse horse horse

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He ain't here yet...

Has anybody here besides me come to the notion that he is giving us the same treatment that he alleges SCI has given him? This is his place to make his case. Use it...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho what if people made up things about you and how you hunt,and people asked you to prove youself and you know that what they are saying is not true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He ain't here yet...

Has anybody here besides me come to the notion that he is giving us the same treatment that he alleges SCI has given him? This is his place to make his case. Use it...

Rich
DRSS

Rich - As stated already, Mark leaves for Tanzania tomorrow. I have talked to him several times, via email over the past couple days. Hopefully when he returns, he will post for all AR members to see. I am certain he is not avoiding you, or others, but simply trying to prepare for his upcoming safaris.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he has time to Email you more than once, he has time to post here with that same information.

Tell him when he sits down to take a dump this evening, to use his laptop...

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
quote:
If he has time to Email you more than once, he has time to post here with that same information.

Rich
DRSS

If you're speaking from personal experience that might explain a lot about your posts ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:

Rich
DRSS

If you're speaking from personal experience that might explain a lot about your posts ...

Oh, the humanity..

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
quote:
Originally posted by KPete:
quote:

Rich
DRSS

Oh, the humanity..

dancing

I'd be rolling on the ground if my computer chair didn't have sides!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He is not going to post here. Try and shift the focus of the thread onto me as you might, he isn't going to be here.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Idaho: Have you read the post of the guy who, "...is not going to post here?"

As this seems to be your forum, I look forward to your comments on Mark's letter.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Idaho: Have you read the post of the guy who, "...is not going to post here?"

As this seems to be your forum, I look forward to your comments on Mark's letter.
Cal

I fear Napoleon may have arrived at his Waterloo.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected on two points.

I have sent a letter encouraging SCI to handle this matter in public.

My earlier comments were entirely based on Mark Sullivan's video content and lack of input.

I am satisfied with his post. Still don't care for his style.

regards,

Rich
DRSS
killing my own game, since 1956.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I stand corrected on two points.

I have sent a letter encouraging SCI to handle this matter in public.

My earlier comments were entirely based on Mark Sullivan's video content and lack of input.

I am satisfied with his post. Still don't care for his style.

regards,

Rich
DRSS
killing my own game, since 1956.

That is a gracious response Rich.

Emotions run high sometimes, I've done it, everyone's done it. While accepting my apology Craig Boddington told me that computers are a funny thing and that it's easy to hit enter when you maybe shouldn't, said he's even done it. No worries. beer

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It really makes no difference how any of us disagrees with how Mark Sullivan hunts.

SCI, being an orgenization which supposed to belong to its members, has absolutely no grounds to ban him from exhibiting without giving him full reasons of their decisions.

I have had an email saying that SCI has asked Mark to stop showing his videos on the show several times previous, and apparently he did not listen, despite being warned several times.

The same message also said SCI has asked several exhibitors to not display "gory" hunting photos.

I really have no idea what they mean in this instance, as any hunting photos can be classified as "gory" by at least some individuals.

Are we going to be blackmailed by the PETA mentality and stop showing hunting photos and videos?

SCI has been accused being run like a tin pot dictatorhsip. And, sadly, it seems this description does fits.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68618 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
It really makes no difference how any of us disagrees with how Mark Sullivan hunts.

SCI, being an orgenization which supposed to belong to its members, has absolutely no grounds to ban him from exhibiting without giving him full reasons of their decisions.

I have had an email saying that SCI has asked Mark to stop showing his videos on the show several times previous, and apparently he did not listen, despite being warned several times.

The same message also said SCI has asked several exhibitors to not display "gory" hunting photos.

I really have no idea what they mean in this instance, as any hunting photos can be classified as "gory" by at least some individuals.

Are we going to be blackmailed by the PETA mentality and stop showing hunting photos and videos?

SCI has been accused being run like a tin pot dictatorhsip. And, sadly, it seems this description does fits.

Excellent point. The anti-hunters are going to hate us regardless of what we do, we must not let them define us as hunters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked SCI if the members owned it. The answer was an emphatic "NO". You guys have all mixed up organization with association. It's a privately held company, and we are not stockholders.

Rich
DRSS