THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Namibia mountains? [added info as requested & safari collage]

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Namibia mountains? [added info as requested & safari collage]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm doing some photo paintings on canvas from my Namibia PG safari last year to frame and display on my walls alongside my trophies...

I was in Central Namibia, Omaruru District...

Does anyone know the name of these two mountains?

Thanks!

[work in progress]

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Roland,
I believe those could be the twin peaks of the Omatako Mountains (Herero for "buttocks").
they are about 7200 ft high, arising from a floor at 4600 ft.. But it's difficult to tell. The Omatakos are really tall and peaked. It might not be them.
If you have google-earth or a map, they can be found at :
21* 12' 25.30" S
16* 42' 57.66"E

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve I appreciate the info...I'll google it and check it out!

Thanks a bunch my friend... beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like Omatako to me... I believe Steve is right.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not think those are the Omatako's they are to small, on who's Ranch did you hunt then I will have a better idea and help you name them. I lived in the Omaruru area for 8 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corne Omujeve:
I do not think those are the Omatako's they are to small, on who's Ranch did you hunt then I will have a better idea and help you name them. I lived in the Omaruru area for 8 years.

Corne,

PM sent...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been told they are called the "Twin Sisters" by two different professionals while driving up that way, several years apart. That may be local slang and not the proper name.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post

PH Cornie Coetzee and the actual Omatakos viewed from the north. From the West, they do not appear as steep, and appear a little further apart. The usual view is from the East on the Hiway.

In North America, these would be called "Squaw tits Mountains" or something similar. Why the Herero call them "buttocks" instead is a mystery. Confused

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:

In North America, these would be called "Squaw tits Mountains" or something similar. Why the Herero call them "buttocks" instead is a mystery. Confused

Kind of like the "Grand Tetons" in Wyoming.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the confirmation...Those are indeed them two peaks that I saw in the distance for sure!!!..... thumb

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Squeeze,

Please do tell me - and maybe a few more - a bit about the method of 'photo painting on canvas'?

Thanks.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
Squeeze,

Please do tell me - and maybe a few more - a bit about the method of 'photo painting on canvas'?

Thanks.

Andrew McLaren

Sure Andrew... beer

Let me tell you about Safari Moments on Canvas...my new online start-up business and the exciting direction its heading!

Currently...

HUNTERS send me 2MB IMG_jpg.FILE(s) of TROPHY SHOTS and SCENIC SHOTS that they would like to have proudly displayed.

I study their images intently and determine the overall quality of the image as is. Next, I look closely into the image and analyze the artistic merit and its detail and features. Next, I try to gain a masterful insight into what can I do as an artist to emphasize its strengths and downplay its weaknesses.

Once I gain THE VISION for a personalized, custom PIECE according to my distinct artistic-style...then I go at it!!!

First, I build a foundation according to the direction I want a PIECE to go...

I do this by building layer upon layer of depth into an image to develop a strong foundation.

Next, I meticulously build upon that foundation with more layers upon layers with a very small digital paint brush to manipulate every inch of pixels in the entire image.

Next, I begin to accentuate the image by strategically adding color in different amounts of layers to add depth and balance.

I do all of this on a digital canvas or a without one as a typical print.

Depending on what I "see" in the original image and the VISION I have for a particular PIECE, that alone will determine the order in which I will develop each image.

Like in a TROPHY SHOT I do not use the same exact techniques, I use some and incorporate others! I want the HUNTER and TROPHY to be the focal point of course. So, I eek-out all the detail that's possible from that area of the image and I only paint the background of the image on canvas and balance the entire scene with its subtleties.

The process may take me from 3 to 5+ hours for a complex SCENIC SHOT...and 1 hour for a typical TROPHY SHOT...

Once done, I will send the client a low-resolution PREVIEW file...Once accepted I send them a PayPal Invoice/request pymt. and once pymt is confirmed I send the client the FINAL high-resolution IMG_jpg.FILE where he/she can take to print and enlarge.

If requested, I will recommend an on-line print lab that does exceptional quality enlargements.

And this is the direction I am heading, but once my website is live, I will work exclusively with my printer and have prints delivered-direct to client...Its just easier for a lot of folk...And I will eventually offer frames too as I develop into an on-line one-stop shop serving Europe, Africa, and US.

In a nut-shell that's what Safari Moments on Canvas is offering exclusively to HUNTERS...

A hunter, for HUNTERS offering affordable, quality art from your digital image files...each PIECE personalized and customized
by yours truly... thumb

Digital Enhancements and Digital Photo-Painted Art on Canvas or without!

The image itself is to be printed on typical photo paper, yet the appearance of the image will display a canvas-like rendition of it being done on canvas.

I felt this was a great opportunity to explain what Safari Moments on Canvas is all about and to clarify the who, what, when, where, why of the business...

I have noticed a great need for this UNIQUE service...I too often see many hunters who post images to this forum and several others that I frequent, with digital photos straight out of their cameras or auto-enhanced... shame

Every digital image needs to be
processed...at the very LEAST with the basics...But how much more, if they had an professional individual such as myself to personally process them. Their photos even from a typical POINT & SHOOT camera would make an incredible difference in QUALITY...I see this every day...Its all I see... bewildered

Either hunters don't know how and/or don't own the more expensive processing softwares or they do know how to process their photos but just lack the time and energy!

I'm here to SPECIALIZE and take care of these hunters and offer my expertise and my artistic-style and talent if needed. I'm not into the numbers, but I'm into QUALITY at a fair price for my work. I cannot AUTOMATE the process and techniques that I use...I must work creatively on each image and gently manipulate and massage each image until I successfully reach my objectives.

I am not able to ACHIEVE the QUALITY in my images by using Auto Enhance...there's no one CLICK here and its all done!!!...LOL...it'll NEVER HAPPEN...LOL

Another important note here Andrew is that I'm now featuring "collage" work...HUNTERS can do specific hunts or they can do a HUNT SEASON as a collage print enlargement...yes, celebrating one whole year with a collage of all their trophies taken that season....

Below is a sample of Namibia 2008 for me and my son...It is not done canvas-style but normal print. The background is an African sunset and I built all these photos into it with white-bordered photos. My wife wanted to put up a whole bunch of our photos, I showed her this instead and she was really happy!

This will be printed 36"x54" to proudly display on the main wall of our trophy room/living room/dining room/tv room....hehehe

It'll definitely be a conversation piece...

The possibilities are endless in what I can envision with my clients, as there's a myriad of options...

Its UNIQUE, because I'm creating something from the hunter's SPECIAL collection of hunt images that they took with their own camera and their own safari and their own hunt...I "dubb" the work I do to friends as THE FINAL SHOT!!!!

Its not me offering for sale my wildlife images that I took with my own camera and as valuable as they are...

You just can't beat...
The HUNTER who is the PHOTOGRAPHER and this is my SPECIAL way for me to present his/her very special shot in a very unique way for their special display!

I tell you Andrew...I love my job and I'm very passionate about it...

Anyway, here's just a sampling of Namibia 2008 36"x54" Print...