Find
Notify
Tools

Planning 1st Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted
Hello! I'd like some suggestion on where to go/what to hunt on an "expeditionary" African safari. For the first trip I'd like to focus on plains game and have heard good things about Namibia. Can someone recommend a good outfitter for a 1st safari? Please try to think relatively economically (starving college student). Thanks a lot!

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
See the other post on here for Namibia safari. Though plains game in RSA or Namibia are generally the most reasobable in terms of cost, I'm not certain "starving college student" and "African Safari" are consistent terms.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...try SAVANNAH SAFARIS in Namibia. E-mail:
maggie.c@mweb.co.za The owner/operator is Bryan Connock.

Good luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only one African hunt under my belt, but the best advice I got I will pass on.
'Don't go bottom fishing for a safari. You catch suckers bottom fishing!'
I listened and had a good time in Namibia, but everybody has different expectations.
Good Luck
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son and I are leaving in three weeks on our first, we are hunting with www.huntersgame.co.za

Nihan Engelbrecht, prices are reasonable, very good references, plus his brother is my MD here in Canada.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
31/2 I and many of my acquaintances have hunted in S Africa with Huntley Ferriera safaris located west of Aldays and just south of the Botswana border in the Limpopo area. Theirs is a family owned and operated area with some leased property as well. They have hunts in all price ranges and offer dangerous game hunts in Zimbabwe and Zambia near the Kafue park. Huntley has guided me for buff in Zambia twice. PM if you want more info. YOU don't have to spend major bucks for a good hunt just do your homework and you know all about that. Adrian.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starving college student may have been an overstatement. I simply wanted to indicate I was looking for a reasonable price. I appreciate all the input and that which is to come.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you first give some thought to what experience you wish to have. Do you want to stay in a tent or lodge? Do you want to hunt the real bush, or are you happy being on a fenced ranch? ( keep in mind that the ranches tend to be huge) What trophies would be priorities? Keep in mind that you will not likely find Red Lechewe, for instance, in the same area that you will find Gemsbuck.

Once you have defined the experience that you want, you will find people here who can set you up. Actually, you can find reasonable plainsgame hunts in several countries in addition to Namibia. Botswana has some very reasonable ranch hunts. South Africa is loaded. Zim is an alternative although most of us think of it as a dangerous game location.

The bottem line is; the clearer you are on what you want, the more likly you are to have a rewarding experience.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Seems like we've got a couple of "new posters" on the forum tonite.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, let's see. For my first safari, a lodge would be fine. I don't want to go too far in over my head right off the bat. As far as game species, Kudu and Gemsbok would be the main animals on the agenda with additional trophies such as Impala, Duiker and Warthog also considered. Hunting on a ranch is not a problem, as I understand the scale of African ranches in phenomenal. As long as it's all fair chase and a fairly demanding hunt--I don't want to be taking shots from a land rover and whatnot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just look below or above which ever the case may be 2007 Plains game special. I think Terry B hunts with these people and recomends them.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote