THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is elephant hunting really that great?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is elephant hunting really that great?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
Is it better than any other hunting in Africa? I am asking those that have hunted elephant and have hunted other game; whether it be plains game or other DG. For the record, I have hunted plains game 3 times and buffalo once.

If Hell don't freeze over and the creek don't rise, I am planning to go in the near future, probably in the next few years. I am about 3/4 there in savings. I even have a double rifle.

I look at the amount of money I have to save and what I could hunt with what I already have right now. And I don't want a tuskless cow, I want a trophy bull.

So tell me what it was like. The tracking, sorting out a good bull, the stalk, closing in, the shot, what you felt after shooting such a magnificent animal. I want to hear about the apprehension, the nervousness, the fear, the awe, the elation, the smells, the sounds.

Or should I just go on another buffalo hunt?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
two words.
HELL YES.
and I walk past the ivory at my home and office every day and just touch it.

Go man go!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
We've probably read and watched the same things so from that, the answer is a clear "YES"

I'll let you know at the end of November - by then I'll be able to compare PG to Cape buffalo to leopard to elephant based on first-hand experience.

Hippo and lion will be next ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but i prefer hunting cats, especially the spotted variety

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or should I just go on another buffalo hunt?

In a word, no. If you can afford it and obviously you are almost there, elephant hunting is the pinnacle of the hunting experience in Africa! At least it has been for me. I love hunting buffalo and because of their availability and cost I have taken quite a few... but elephant are special. Keep it a priority on your bucket list!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeff h:
two words.
HELL YES.
and I walk past the ivory at my home and office every day and just touch it.

Go man go!

EXACTLY WHAT HE SAID.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Elephant hunting is like crack cocaine for hunters. Some are able to do it once and move on. Others, myself included, find it addicting and all consuming (elephant hunting that is). The experience of tracking an elephant for six hours, getting the wind right, stalking up to within 20 yards and taking a frontal brain shot is something to be experienced to be believed. Add early season green bush or jesse and the experience is all the more special. Just be careful, as I said, do it once and you are likely to be immediately planning to do it again. And don't sell the tuskless short. Hunting a tuskless cow combines all the foregoing plus you are likely to be hunting the tuskless in a group of cows. Shoot a bull in a small group of bulls and the others all run for the hills. Shoot a tuskless cow in a group of cows and all that does is make the others start trying to find the offending hunter. Don't get me wrong, hunting a bull is a special event, but hunting tuskless cows is not chopped liver.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
without a doubt a big yes.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow...how to describe it. Stalking to within 15 or 20 yards of an animal that towers over you and whose weight is measured in tons. You watch the trunk rise straight in the air and then rotate like a periscope, trying to detect scent. The ears start to flair out in uneasiness. Then another unseen Elephant "makes" you, and lets out a blare that gives you goosebumps, and comes running head-down to deal with the intruders. With time in slow motion, you center your sights on an invisible spot halfway between the weeping gland on his cheekbone and his earhole. Your PH starts to shout and wave to deter the charging cow coming quickly. You pull the trigger and are jolted back by the recoil. As you regain your attention on the animal, his trunk stretches high above his head, his rear legs collapse, and he falls to the ground with an impact you can feel in your boots.

PS: Yeah...it's awesome!!!! :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Confused

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
That question is kind of like explaining the joys of sex to pre teens. You need to experience it for yourself to see how wonderful it is. Yeah, it's all that, and then some.

Go get some!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
RAC,

My answer would be it all depends on the quality of the entire experience, A good bull unearned with a douche for a PH...no thanks.

A well earned hunt, and I agree with MJines, A frontal in good country with a good PH and crew that is fun to be with heck yes.

I will add this, not to take away from others opinions on tuskless, I WANT IVORY.......Big thick Botswana Ivory. That said I want to shoot a Tanz. bull someday as well.

The nerves...can't be explained....the anticipation...can't be explained. Standing before a beast of that size, willingly putting yourself in harms way, the pinnacle of human exhileration. Mark Sullivan puts it best, Safari is one of only two great adventures left on this planet, DG hunting (jumbo's) and Expedition Mountaineering
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
That question is kind of like explaining the joys of sex to pre teens. You need to experience it for yourself to see how wonderful it is. Yeah, it's all that, and then some.

Go get some!

Jack, Pre Teens? where did you grow up? Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3536 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was the most exciting thing I have ever done.

Posts: 97 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, and I just hunted a tuskless. A bull would be even better, and the ivory beautiful, but unfortunately is outside my range. It was the most exciting, exhilarating, and scary (around cow herds) type of hunting I have ever done. Being close to elephants is unique.

I would do it every year, if possible!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
When you have forgotten what sex was like, or how to spell it, the memory of elephant hunts gone by will burn just as fresh and just as bright til the day you die.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAC,

I would have to answer your questions with a yes. I don't know that it's better than some other hunts but it's a unique and throughly thrilling experience that I definitely could do again. I personally have too much stuff I'd like to do in Africa and not enough money to dedicate my hunting to a particualr species.

I'm sure that a tuskless or non trophy hunt is a blast but if your only going to do it once I think a trophy bull is the way to go.

Joe Coogan told me before my elephant hunt in Botswana that there was nothing quite like walking upto a giant bull elephant with rifle in hand intending to kill that bull. He was right!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
What is elephant hunting really like to me? Where these came from I do not know, and never came to me before. Is the gun loaded? Yea ! Closing in on the bull ele, is this cartridge 458Lott big enough? and yes Did the firing pin break on the last shot of the target range? Working your way around in the jess and keeping the wind and all of a sudden you look off to the right front and a bull ele is standing at 20 feet away and you look at its big brown eye. One step towards you and it can reach out and grab you.
Twenty to thirty yards is to far of a shot. Shooting a big truck at 100yds with a scope does nothing for me. Closing in tight with open sights hearing his breathing and stomach sounds is what it is. My whole attitude has changed since being privileged to hunt the elephant.
Biebs inside of 15yds.

Mike
Running is not an option "Its time to defend yourselves"

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have a picture of a bull Ele that I took at what we figured was about 9 feet. It filled the lens on my camera. PM me your email...makes a great wallpaper on my computer!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Tuskless ain't "chopped liver" as Mike says.... particularly if all you have in your hand is a bow!

BTW, this was the first elephant I saw in Africa. It was quite the introduction to the toothless ladies. Hunting them is a great thrill as said above and I'll do it every year I can walk... unless, it's 2013 and I'm in Botswana with Ivan trying to get an 80 # giant.

Go. Bull, cow, management, tuskless or Little Ernest, you'll never regret it! Just go!!!!!

dancing

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To my point, hunting tuskless ain't chopped liver (this was a tusked cow in a herd we were checking for a tuskless in). Dancing with a Zambezi Lady:

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clearly shows the advantage of "the quick second shot" that a double offers!

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I never get tired of seeing the brass from Buzz's rifle eject over Hunter Jines' head.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Now that is a good one Will.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nicholosi
posted Hide Post
Mjines,
I was on the fence whether a tuskless was a worthwhile hunt. I think you may have just cost me money.

John

Life Member Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member NRA
DRSS

Posts: 131 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Is it that great? In a word...YEP!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I only enjoy hunting the old males.

No cows, please. They are not trophies, and remind me of junk yard curs. Just not my cup of meat.

Never understood it. Give me teeth, or give me a plane ride home empty handed.

In point of fact, I would rather hunt impala rams than cow elephants.

But bull elephants, now that's hard core fun, for me.

Still, I have as much fun hunting Cape buffalo, especially dugga boys, in small groups, far from the herds.

It would be hard for me to choose between the two.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't that interested until I watched Ivan Carter on "Boddington on Elephant". Then I asked a friend of mine who has taken a few elephant, and he said after hunting elephant everything else pales into insignificance.
Now I am trying to work out how to raise the money.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
"Is Elephant hunting really that great?"
Absolutely, most certainly not!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing like elephant hunting. NOTHING.

At least for ME. It is my most favorite hunt.

I do like hunting ivory, but cow elephant hunting is very exciting.

Especially when you brain shoot them from 3 to 12 yards, with a double rifle of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think what is very thrilling in any hunt is the chance of scoring on a nice trophy compared to the price you pay for the hunt, and the work involved.On my Makuti buff hunt, I feel I payed a good price and worked hard for a couple of nice trophies.If one pays a fortune for an ele hunt some place, and sees a 50 pounder while seated in back of the land cruiser, hops off, stalks a short distance, and gets an easy shot,then that doesn't sound too exciting.On the other hand if one pays a good price,had a difficult hunt, and gets a 70 pounder, like the gentleman did last year hunting with Rich Tabor of Charlton Mccallum safaris,that would make it a great hunt,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem solved: Hunt both elephant and buffalo next hunt...add plans game too.

The author of the above statement is a geniuses!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I've never hunted ele,all things being equal,I think an ele hunt would be better than a buff or leopard hunt but I doubt that it would be as good as a stalked lion hunt hunt with open sights.It is one thing to be scared of being stomped on and another to become pray.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daleW:
Problem solved: Hunt both elephant and buffalo next hunt...add plans game too.

The author of the above statement is a geniuses!
Thanks!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
To my point, hunting tuskless ain't chopped liver (this was a tusked cow in a herd we were checking for a tuskless in). Dancing with a Zambezi Lady:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0"
height="349"
width="560"
><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="never"
></param><param name="wmode"
value="transparent"
></param><param value="never"
/><param value="transparent"
/><param value="never"
/><param value="transparent"
/><param value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5KCQLwpJX8s?fs=1&hl=en_US"
name="movie"
/><param value="true"
/><param value="always"
/><embed allowScriptAccess="never"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
wmode="transparent"
pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
height="349"
width="560"
src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5KCQLwpJX8s?fs=1&hl=en_US"
/></object>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I love that clip!! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a word - YES!!! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting a good area where one can get up close to big old Jumbo bulls, on their terms - FANTASTIC AND SUCH A PRIVILEGE!!!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion trophy bulls are for bone collectors and tuskless, management, PAC elephants are for elephant hunters. Why? Because you can hunt 10 non-trophy elephants for what it costs to hunt one trophy bull in Botswana. In addition cows are much more dangerous to hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I too like that video. One thing I noticed is just how hard Buzz ejects the round from his Ruger, I mean he really yanks that bolt back and the case goes flying, a good tip to learn from a pro.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
When you have forgotten what sex was like, or how to spell it, the memory of elephant hunts gone by will burn just as fresh and just as bright til the day you die.

Gentlemen the above statement is bound to be true, because it was uttered by a man old who likely knows of where he speaks ..........ON BOTH SUBJECTS!
......................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote