New
Find
Notify
Tools

best for buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
using factory ammo, which is the best choice for buffalo?

1.) 458 Win Mag or 416 rigby

2.) 458 Win Mag, 416 rigby or 470 NE

Please, I know many of you would take the 458 Lott over anything, but I'm only interested in these 3 calibers. Please stick to them.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
I think bullet choice is more important than caliber.

416 Swift A-frame

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1878 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
All three have very good factory ammo available and all three are proven performers on buffalo. I prefer the 416 Rigby to the 458 Win Mag, and I like bolt guns so the 470 isn't on my list. That said, I'd be happy to use any of the three in a suitable rifle.

Top Predator makes a very good point.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
I agree with ForestB.

The most important for me is:

Use the rifle you can shoot without flinching.

Make sure your first shot counts.

It is better to place a good shot with a small caliber, than a bad shot with a big caliber.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you were my client I would prefer you bring- the rifle you shoot best.

If you are equally comfortable with all, then I would prefer the .416 preferably with a good low powered scope

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP_PREDATOR:
I think bullet choice is more important than caliber.

416 Swift A-frame

DITTO

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
416 with Swift A-Frames , WOODLEIGH solids and low powered scope.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TerryR:

Please, I know many of you would take the 458 Lott over anything, but I'm only interested in these 3 calibers. Please stick to them.

TerryR

Being a double rifle user it would have to be the .470. However, that said, for most people I would vote the .416 and a low power scope. I have used all three and any of them will do fine.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I can work equaly well with both bolt, and double rifle, but I prefer a double for Buffalo, so my first choice would have to be the 470NE. However, if I had to choose between the other two, it would be the 416 Rigby, over the 458 WM!

I also agree with the bullets choice of Swift A-frame, and North Fork solids, or if one bullet were to be used, it would then be the NF cup point solids in the 416 Rigby.
In the 470NE I would go with the NF cup point solids, exclusively. Both rifles would be fitted with a low powered varible scope with quality QD rings, and bases!

The 458 WM is a good cartridge, if the loader is carefull, and though I don't use factory ammo in anything, I think Federal would be my brand, in the 470NE, and 416Rigby, and I wouldn't use any factory in a 458 WM! If I used a 458 WM at all, it would be with very carefully loaded handloads, probably with NF cup points!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle you own for some time and shoot often PRIOR to going to hunt buff. That said, Jaco and the gang have it pegged. I personally took a 470 double. But, that being said, if you are ONLY hunting buff, any of the calibers are good...the 458 seems loaded a bit anemic in factory loads, however. If PG are or may be on your list, the Rigby shoots flatter and with 300/350 grain bullets would be ideal. Just remember to shoot each load MANY TIMES so you know and are familiar with POI and the DIFFERENT POI for the 400 gr buff bullets and the 300/350 gr PG bullets.
There's my rambling....GOOD LUCK. The purchase of a new big bore is an exciting thing..........

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
DO NOT consider Hornady Interbonds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I'll be the odd ball vote here because I like the 458 Win. Mag. Actually I don't disagree with anything the above posters have said. Ballisically on big game and you spoke of buffalo all 3 calibers you mentioned should be more than adequate so that really is not much of an issue. The rifle itself is an issue and a 458 can be had in a handier package that a 416 Rigby which needs a true magnum action and just a physically larger and heavier rifle. The 470 is a double rifle and in my opinion not very practical for the average buffalo hunter for a number of reasons which have been discussed here many times.

So I vote for the 458. It's a handier more portabe package, can be built on any 30-06 length action, loaded ammo and components are readily available and cheap compared to the 416 and 470. I think its only drawback which is not a factor at present day is it has no nostalgia value and in the past it had some bad factory loadings that have tainted its reputation until this day. The 458 in my mind is a much more practical alternetive than either the 416 Rigby or 470 NE.

Put your money in trophy fees and leave the spendie nostalgia inducing rifles for someone else.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Terry,

I'll be the odd ball vote here because I like the 458 Win. Mag. Actually I don't disagree with anything the above posters have said. Ballisically on big game and you spoke of buffalo all 3 calibers you mentioned should be more than adequate so that really is not much of an issue. The rifle itself is an issue and a 458 can be had in a handier package that a 416 Rigby which needs a true magnum action and just a physically larger and heavier rifle. The 470 is a double rifle and in my opinion not very practical for the average buffalo hunter for a number of reasons which have been discussed here many times.

So I vote for the 458. It's a handier more portabe package, can be built on any 30-06 length action, loaded ammo and components are readily available and cheap compared to the 416 and 470. I think its only drawback which is not a factor at present day is it has no nostalgia value and in the past it had some bad factory loadings that have tainted its reputation until this day. The 458 in my mind is a much more practical alternetive than either the 416 Rigby or 470 NE.

Put your money in trophy fees and leave the spendie nostalgia inducing rifles for someone else.

Mark

Handier? That sounds like Ray Atkinson talk!

Yes it is true it can be handier but how many guys are make themselves a 7.5 lb. 458, which is all it needs to be?

Anyway, I like the 458. Any of his possibilities are fine, but the 470. Shooting buff with an unscoped 470 is just asking for trouble if the buff is further away than spitting distance.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would base my decision on whether or not I was hunting for a true trophy animal or just wanted the thrill of hunting any adult bull. If I was a dedicated trophy hunter I would go with a scoped 416. Your dream bull may be 125 yards away on the other side of a herd and you may only have a small window between other animals in the herd to take the shot. I therefore would prepare for the worse case scenario. If I just wanted to hunt a bull then an open sighted 458 or 470 double would be my choice. Something magical about carrying a big bore double in the jesse.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I saw a very nice .458 Win. It was built on a Checkezlovakian Mauser. It has a 22" tube in a very well done synthetic stock. It was topped with a 2.5X scope with Q.R. bases and a pop up aperture sight which sat under the rear scope ring.

The whole thing probably weighed in at about 8-9 lbs and shot very well. If were to have a .458 Win that would be it.

I am wondering however, how an iron sighted double in .470 NE is inferior to any other iron sighted heavy rifle?

This sounds like a bad case of someone projecting their inadequacy as a rifleman onto the world at large.

As a matter of fact if one were to check the stats. The highest number of wounded, non recovered and troubles are caused by hunters shooting scoped .375 H&H’s. Gee I wonder why? Could it be that there are more of those rigs going over every year by a factor at least 10?

I am not saying you should go out and buy a .470. But if you do and you practice with it. This rifle is just as good as anything else available and better in some circumstances.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

"Ray Atkinson talk" You really know how to wound a guy. Handy? My 458 is just a Mark X barrelled action in a McMillan stock. With a 1x4 scope it weights 8.75lb and with its 20" barrel it seems to be about right and very "handy". It may start a shit storm but I could not agree with you more on the 470. I see a big double as a PH back up rifle or a rifle for a disciplined experienced hunter that will not take anything but a very close range shot. The average buffalo hunter is on a short safari and to limit your opportunities and budget with a double seems silly to me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
416 - Swift A-Frames.

I like Marks thinking regarding the 470. Good competent gun, but not as useful as a good 416.

That 416 is a great all around DG and plainsgame gun, It can shoot accurately as far as 95% of the shooters are able to anyway. It is nice to have a DG gun that can accurately exceed your usable range.

After all, follow up shots can be long. It is nice to be able to make one in a pinch if need be. The 416 is able to do this with no problem at all.

While most like to believe that you will stalk up to a Buffalo at 50 yards and make a perfect shot, I believe some who have hunted quite a few would disagree. Sometimes a 100 yard shot is what is presented. I would rather not be handicapped by having to use a double on a longer shot. (because everyone knows to put a scope on a double is akin to stocking it with a synthetic stock ... right?)

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

TerryR

You should take whatever rifle you are more comfortable with. Just make sure you use premium bullets, and hit them right the first time. They would never know the difference, and you will be amazed at how easy it is to kill buffalo.

All this talk of them being "bullet proof" is a load of rubbish - unless, of course, you screw up your first shot. Then all bets are off.

At my age I cannot shoot worth a damn with open sights, so a scope is a must. Which can come in handy if the first shot does not do the buffalo in. You can easily brain him before he decides to come even the score.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Will,
Thanks for the info Will, I had my doubts but now I know for sure, Mark Young and Ray are the same person, or maybe they're brothers?

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where will you be hunting? Looking at Saeed's videos he seems to be shooting at pretty long ranges, best with a scoped bolt action I would think. For the "thick stuff" and I have seen some other videos from this forum, where they have this, I would think a double rifle would be best. Just my thoughts, never having been there done that!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I like the 458 Win for the reasons Mark gave.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Terry,

Handier? That sounds like Ray Atkinson talk!

quote:
I would rather not be handicapped by having to use a double on a longer shot. (because everyone knows to put a scope on a double is akin to stocking it with a synthetic stock ... right?)

Wendell Reich

Both sound a little like RAY to me!, but Wendell sounds like a blood brother, with that "IT's A SIN to SCOPE A DOUBLE" statement!

jumping jumping

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr.Huff-Acher,

Your comments on my supposed dual personality and or siblings brings two words to mind that I'd like to share with. One begins with F the other with Y. Don't ponder the puzzle too long. It's not that dificult even for a Texan.

Kind Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Duely noted Mark, but you better be nice to me or I'll tell everyone about the funny noises you make when you are moose hunting animal

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the posters who say the 470 limits your range...I took my buff that way, but WAS handicapped in the fact that I limited myself to 100 yds MAX.....and yes, I practiced a lot. As a matter of fact, I passed on a bull at about 150 paces because I would not shoot with the 470 at that range. I still say that the 416 is the MOST VERSATILE of the calibers you list. You have quite a variety of opinions to digest....good luck.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning towards the 416. On my last, and only, Buffalo hunt I used a scoped 375 at 80 yds. It worked. I'm switching because I inhereted both a 416 rigby (Ruger) and a 470 (Krieghoff}. I included the 458 because I took a couple of shots with my PH's and it felt comfortable.
As I said I'm leaning towards the 416 because I have it and I just feel more comfortable with a bolt. I've used a double and have had good results, but I just feel better with the bolt. I guess it's because I've had much more experience with it.

TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot buff yet but I like the .416 Rigby with woodleigh soft and solids out of the calibers you mention.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Mac = stir

Big Grin

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AR Clan,
You would have trouble beating the .458 with A-Square ammo(Triad) solids, dt soft point, and lion load. They give you distance and perform on most everything you may come upon. They all three at 465 grain shoot to the same point of aim through my variable low power Leupold scope.
I made one shot kills on many DG animals recently in Lolkisale.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

TerryR

Just take whatever rifle that you shoot well and feel comfortable with. And preferably a rifle that is cool in safari camp, such as a double or a custom bolt gun assmebled in the finest of Mauser sporter style, such as the model B. Smiler

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Mac = stir

Big Grin

You know I'd never stir anything up!

jumping jumping beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
If my preference was a double I would choose the .470 out of your list.

If my preferred rifle type was a bolt action, the .416.

From the choices of your selection.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote