Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino Dart Hunting closed in SA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted
This may have been addressed before, but a simple search didn't turn anything up.

Is it true that Dart hunting for Rhino has been closed down? I heard it from a first hand source, but thought I would check with you guys as well. I would assume it was a vet suggestion based on the effects repeatedly drugging an animal, but who knows. Anyone want to weigh in on this one?

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if it's not closed down, it should be in my opinion. However, like every other opinion it's worth what you paid for it. To be used or discarded as it it fits your nees.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Greg,

Oops.... sorry. I've just checked my mailbox and was told the vets have refused to be in attendance.

Give me time and I'll come back with more.

Sorry about that.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Here you go. We received this from PHASA on August 2nd.

Dear Members,

A. We received the following notification from the Department of Environmental Affairs last week.

The Veterinary Council proposed amendments to their legislation that will have an impact on the darting of rhinos by foreign clients. Herewith is a summary of the information:

1. According to the proposed amendments only veterinary professionals, or persons authorized by the Veterinary Council and under the supervision of a veterinary professional, will be permitted to administer Schedule 5 or 6 medicines with the purpose to tranquilize or anaesthetize an animal.

2. These amendments have not been published for implementation yet. However, the Veterinary Council will probably forward these proposals to the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) next week, for DAFF to obtain approval from the Minister to publish the amendments in the Gazette for implementation. The implementation will then be with immediate effect.

3. The rules will be published in terms of Section 30 of the Veterinary and Para-Veterinary Professions Act, Act 19 of 1982. (Act)

4. The Veterinary Council went through the consultation process, but did not extend this to the professional hunting industry.

5. According to the policy of the Veterinary Council, it would officially be unethical for veterinarians to be involved in darting safaris from 1 June 2010. As a result of the industry not being informed of the time frame of the implementation, there are Hunting Outfitters who have permits to conduct these safaris, and safaris have already been booked. There would thus be an interim period from 1 June 2010 until publication of the amendments, that Outfitters would have problems with existing contracts. The Veterinary Council was therefore requested if it would be possible for them to honor existing permits. The Registrar of the Council undertook to forward our request to the Executive Committee for approval.

6. In the mean time, it is recommended that provinces do not issue new permits for applications for darting safaris. Further, it is requested that all provinces must indicate to us how many permits they have issued of which the safaris still need to take place. The reason is so that we can indicate to the Council how many permit holders will be affected by the interim period (my proposal was that the Council regard this period until publication, as an official phase out period for permits).

7. DEA will have to amend the TOPS Regulations to make provision that only veterinary professionals or persons authorized by the Council, may dart animals. Therefore, written approval from the Council will be a prerequisite for a person other than a veterinary professional, to obtain a darting permit.

B. UPDATE:
The Department of Environmental Affairs informed us as follows on the Veterinary Council's decision taken at their meeting of 30 July:

"Decision taken by Council that the conduct of any veterinarians involved in green hunts i.r.o. permits issued after 30 June 2010 will be investigated.
Permits issued prior to 30 June 2010 not affected."

This means that darting safaris for existing TOPS permits may continue, but no new TOPS permits should be issued for foreign clients to do the darting, as veterinarians may not be involved in those safaris.

The above provision only affects the 5 outstanding permits issued by MTPA.
All other provinces indicated that they have no outstanding permits (permits that have already been issued, of which the safaris still need to take place).

We will amend the TOPS Regulations accordingly to give effect to the decision of the South African Veterinary Council.

PHASA
www.phasa.co.za

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Tragic, wait till Saeed sees this...I believe he was really looking fwd to his next thrilling rhino dart hunt. Big Grin

I know little about this...but perhaps it is due to the perceived "ethics" as noted in the PHASA memo, and I suspect what started as a useful tool and way to offset costs soon turned into a money-grab by the greedy landowners giving the do-gooders the ammo they needed. Or, maybe it was felt that green-hunting rhino would somehow interfere with the organized poaching...nah, couldn't be that!

What will all the SCI Big-5 collectors do now? Wink

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Rhino darting is not my cup of tea.

But, I am very sad to see it being stopped, especially that many people seem to enjoy it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I agree with the post above.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I darted a rhino 2 years ago in SA. It was alot different than I ever imagined. Very exciting to stalk within 6 yds of a bull. Everything was done under the supervision of a vet. I bought this "hunt" at an auction as part of a package that included rifle hunting for several plains game species. Would I do it again- no, but Iam glad to have done it once.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a blast on my White Rhino darting hunt in the Limpopo about three years ago. It was more exciting than I expected and I believe much more difficult and dangerous than just shooting one. We had a Vet there who loaded up the dart gun, the crew immediately wetted the rhino once it was down taking special care to protect its eyes and once the photos were taken (ten minutes) the Vet allowed me to inject the drug behind his ear. The rhino recovered almost immediately and sauntered off into the bush. I would think even the greenies would be happy with this sort of money raising hunt. What is the problem?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
When conducted correctly, green hunts were more difficult than a rifle hunt, requiring more serious stalking closer to the animal and accurate placement of the tranquilizer dart from a compressed air "rifle" that had a restricted range and was not terribly accurate.

Rhino research was greatly contributed to by collection of blood samples for examination (DNA) and often implantation of micro-chips and aside from veterinarian benefits, the income generated by green hunts helped substantially in encouraging farmers to protect the Rhino as a renewable resource - you know, value on the land?

Just like Lion hunting when canned, the green Rhino hunt could easily be abused by operators, especially if clients didn't know what to look for in an ethical outfitter (and most didn't). Green hunts also made the completion of the African Big 5 by the "common man" an affordable goal instead of a fiscal impossibility for most of us; not an unreasonable option.

My guess is that a vast majority of the naysayers have never participated in an ethically conducted green hunt. I personally know of more than a few experienced African hunters who had completed four of the Big 5, lacking only the Rhino, due to the ungodly expense of taking a Rhino via firearm - $100,000? Some have described it as one of their hardest hunts, taking many days of hunting and stalking to even get a shot with the tranq.

I did a green Rhino hunt in 2003 after more than a dozen safaris in more than 8 countries and am glad I did. It was a wonderful, exciting experience and one that stands out among all my African safaris. I've highly recommended the green hunt and have sent other experienced safari hunters on them without any complaints.

BTW, most of the Rhinos who are green hunted have names, given to them by taxidermists who model their horns. As a renewable resource I have no problem with that.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Lionhunters post completely. I did one in 2005 and it was a gas. I was the closest I have come yet to getting clubbed by a critter. It is challenging and very rewarding to see the critter regain his senses after the vet secures his various samples. Once was enough. But i really enjoyed it and have zero regrets.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shakari.

Dang, I wished I was wrong about it but it's good to get confirmation.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Whether you agree with it or not, it's just one more hunting related door that has been closed for good. Saeed's ongoing advice to hunt Africa while it's still possible, takes on greater meaning every day.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I wish you were wrong as well. Confused

I enjoy the dart hunts and find it hard to believe that I remember a time when it was being discussed as a new idea..... In fact, I remember going out and shooting them in the arse with a catapault to see how they might react to a dart if we could ever get hold of the darting kit. rotflmo

As UEG quite rightly says, "it's just one more hunting related door that has been closed for good". Frowner

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Our last Rhino dart was done on a female. Blood samples were taken as well as a simple physical. She would be tested for pregnancy. I learned more on that green hunt than I've ever known about Rhino's, even though I've been around them many times. Very interesting animal and a joy to watch it revive after 60 seconds. It is NOT an easy "hunt" as one might think. Sure, many appear to be on tv, but in this case it took two days. I was excited to hear for the first time ever, the vocalizations a Rhino employs. Sitting hidden from 20-30 yards will give you some great entertainment. It was a good education to learn that spooked Rhino do not run around anything; they go straight through what ever stands in their way. IMHO, I think money or should I say greed is at the bottom of anything Rhino. Dead or alive, too many evil eyes are upon this magnificent animal.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Whether you agree with it or not, it's just one more hunting related door that has been closed for good. Saeed's ongoing advice to hunt Africa while it's still possible, takes on greater meaning every day.
Absolutely. I sort of always thought I might do one of these just to see what it was all about...

What is surprising is that "we" somehow missed it up until now. Maybe with all the attention on "canned lions" and whatever in SA it flew under the radar, but it is a pretty significant closure. And, all kidding aside, does have implications on those looking to get their "big-5".

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I mentioned it in a thread when someone asked about darting Rhino. Not only Rhino green hunts, but any green hunt is now closed. Mainly the Rhino and Ele were darted. I found out when I was inquiring about an Ele dart for a client. The most exciting "hunt" I've ever done was darting a Lion. Wasn't a green hunt but it was a problem Lion that had been snared and injured. He was transferred to a Lion park but his wound wasn't healing so....damn that cat was pissed at me Eeker

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are Rhino darting hunts being closed down? What is the rationale?

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
Why are Rhino darting hunts being closed down? What is the rationale?

Some silly nitwit with a do-gooder attitude thinks it is bad for the rhinos!

I really hate it when those who have absolutely nothing to do with something stick their noses in other people business.

There are a lot of activities I would not dream of participating in, for one reason or another. But, I would never try stopping those who enjoy them from having to stop.

Sadly, in our modern society, it is cropping up in every facet of our lives.

Years ago, we were snorking and spear fishing under a pier.

There were some European women fishing off that pier. They were catching tiny little fish, and throwing them back into the sea dead!?

These little fish were attracting bigger fish, which we were happy to spear.

One of the ladies took exception to this. Screaming at us that spear fishing is illegal.

Apparently it was in her closed mind, but not in Dubai.

We ignored her and continued fishing.
She called the police.
The police patrol arrived.
The policeman looked down at us - he knew all of us, including one of his senior officers who was fishing with us.

Asked what the problem was, we told him.

Afterwards he told us he spend quite a long time explaining to that lady that if she did not like somethiong, it does not make it illegal for others to do.

And like all do-gooders, she conveniently forgot that she was killing fish for no reason at all, while we were killing them to eat.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It cannot be stressed enough how these green hunts generated an awful lot of money, much of which went back into Rhino preservation, and this encouraged more farmers to engage in the protection and revival of the White Rhino. Without green hunts, the White Rhino may well have become extinct everywhere but in the zoo and game parks (where the poachers would get them).

Only a few years ago we were touting how the hunting community had saved the White Rhino. Green hunts were a very powerful part of that process. Black Rhino programs were started, modeled directly after the White Rhino programs.

It is extremely foolhardy to now condemn green hunting of the Rhino. Let's try to think a bit before we start typing how "bad" the green hunts are/were. I predict only an increase in poaching and a decrease in the numbers raised on farms, as much of the potential value has now
been negated. Big mistake!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Check this out...this is from the South African Veterinary Association's (SAVA) website:
quote:
Press Statement

The South African Veterinary Council and the South African Veterinary Association would like to express its extreme dismay and concern over the escalation in rhino poaching in South Africa. We are horrified by the brutal slaughter of these animals and promise to do everything in our power to stop the people responsible.

We are also incensed and deeply saddened by the alleged involvement of veterinarians in these inhumane activities and distance ourselves completely from any colleagues found guilty of such an offense.

We would like to bring to the attention of the public that only veterinarians registered with the South African Veterinary Council may possess and use anesthetic drugs. We request the assistance of the public in reporting lay persons that are in possession of game anesthetic drugs, and/or are darting game animals, to the police, the South African Veterinary Council or the South African Veterinary Association. This will greatly assist in curbing the present tragic situation.

Persons wanting to report any illegal activity linked to the above should do so to the following organisations:

South African Veterinary Council...
PMB stock theft unit...
Their local SAPS office...
Perhaps SAVA is looking to totally distance themselves from implications in poaching (and/or illegal rhino dehorning?), and this includes ANY involvement in "darting" period including "green hunts". Smart move, or knee-jerk reaction??? As was pointed out, will this only further to escalate the poaching problem.

I am still amazed that there was no attention drawn to this by the hunting organizations and "reports" out there. I mean, think about the hunting industry's push-back to say, the polar bear hunting closure. But - perhaps with all the attention drawn to the "rhino poaching" problem, those that were aware felt it better to distance themselves too? And/or maybe thought it a good move? I don't know.

SAVA Website: http://www.sava.co.za/index.ph...=frontpage&Itemid=13

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah well I dont know what it is like in S Africa but here in AU veterinarians are NO FRIEND of hunters. Even if they work with hunting groups they will drop you like a sack of shit.

Our own Vet Assoc here openly opposes recreational hunting fullstop.

sorry if not relevant...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am of the opinion that this will help escalate the poaching of Rhinos. Without some profit in keeping them alive, they will all be gone in a decade or so.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MAYBE ALLOWING US TO DART THE POACHERS. I RECON NOONE WOULD ARGUE THAT IT WOULDNT BE SPORTING. IN THIS CASE NIGHT VISION OR SPOTLIGHTS OK FOR THE FOLKS WITH THR DARTS TO USE TO COMPENSATE FOR THE LIMITED RANGE.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Well the writing is on the wall. Ifaw and ARA are getting bigger and stronger here in SA. Ron Thomson has an excellent article in the December African Outfitter. Maybe it is time that we took his advice, stood together and did something to help ourselves. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the current status of the closure and if there are plans to reopen or not?

Thanks,

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ran into the outfitter for my Green Rhino hunt in RSA at this past SCI convention. He told me he is ignoring the ban since it was put in place by a bunch of anti hunting vets. He stated he will still do them and has a vet that will participate.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!