Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Benin (Pics added)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Hey guys, just got back in last night and it is good to be home in the good ol' USA. Had a great hunt in Benin... excellent buffalo, massive hartebeest, old roan bull, a super Nagor reedbuck... probably the new #1 SCI (if your into that), oribi and warthog. Damned bushbuck drove us crazy and I was never in the right place at the right time. Ditto for red-flanked duiker, if they were sitting in the open, posing, they were female! The males were always haulin a$$... but "c'est la chasse", eh?

Will post some pics in a few days and a hunt report in a week or two, right now I have a ton of work staring me in the face... oh well, you play...

Hope the Show season went well and Dallas and Reno were good to everyone! Cheers.

Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7552 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I look forward to your full report and photos.

The SCI show was good but there were less people and prices through the ceiling.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Welcome back! I look forward to the full report and pictures. It sounds like congratulations are in order. beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Russ welcome home and catch up on sleep...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Hi Bwanamrm

Congratulations.Especially for Your trophy reedbuck.
Were You hunting along the Pendjari National Park with Club Faune, PH Yann le Bouvier?
or Atakora range.........with? Coatmelec ?

According to ErikD, Nyamey is one of the "less attractive" towns in Africa. Your opinion?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jean-Bernard, I'm going to guess he went through Cotonou, not Niamey. Neither are destination resorts of course.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations.Especially for Your trophy reedbuck.
Were You hunting along the Pendjari National Park with Club Faune, PH Yann le Bouvier?
or Atakora range.........with? Coatmelec ?

Jean-Bernard,
I did indeed hunt with Yann and Club Faune in the Porga concession of Pendjari National Park. Yann is a super PH, very intense and passionate about the sport and his areas. C-F has made great strides in developing the Porga concession into an excellent hunting concession with lion, buffalo and elephant seen regularly. Contonou and most of Benin is, how would one phrase it, less than attractive? But it was a very interesting adventure!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7552 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Welcome back. Congrats on your trophies. I am VERY interested in your full report.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12972 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Welcome home.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's great to have you back safe and sound Russell. We're all looking forward to your hunt report and pics.

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Glad you made it home. I Look forward to the report and photos.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you decided to venture to a part of Africa that is not the usual course. It's hard to believe, but Dakar (maybe even Benin)is closer to Moscow than Capetown (or somebody told me that?).... anyway, Africa is Africa, but parts are amazingly intriguing in wonderfully different ways. I can't wait to get a full report. I've been to Burkina Faso, but am looking at a Benin hunt as a possibility.

BTW, I must have killed your bushbuck for you. When I shot mine in Burkina, we walked over and found two dead. The game scout just smiled, took fifty euros from me, gutted the smaller, cut the legs and head off, put the whole thing in a large duffle and we never mentioned it again.... I guess he had a good supper? Would you like to have me see if I could get someone to look for the head? It had good horns..... Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7670 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Russell, looking forward to the full report. Good luck digging out from under the email at work.

Mike

Posts: 21520 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Okay Russell, take a day off then let's read some hunt stories!! Welcome back!

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
welcome home ....

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for your photos and story. Get some sleep and then get busy!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russell Glad you're home.
e

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad your adventure was a good one and looking forward to the story.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
thanks Wink and bwanamrm

I made a slip of the tongue, of course Cotonnou seems to be not a very attractive place. Niamey is in Niger and in the past has got a real fame but...........concerning 2 legged not this wild game.
I am glad You'd fun with Yann l B. I made a hop there to have a couple of beers and refueling and the area looked like a game paradise. Not so with elephants. The few we saw had me got the jitters. Really wicked.
Congs again
jb

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Russell. Sounds like a very nice bag. Tell us about it when you've taken care of business.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
contratulations. I'm very curious to see the report

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Russell.

West Africa is not a hot destination for Americans. I know little about it and am very interested in your impressions.

Just be sure to start at the beninning, okay? Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13567 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
i saw this and it made me laugh out loud... hope you enjoy the humor in it too!

"I swear guys, it wasn't me, I just lifted the wartie's tail and..."

On a slightly more serious note, my Benin buffalo.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Russell, why are you and the warty the only ones smiling??
That is one heck of a buffalo---congratulations--I didn't know they got that big!!

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
The "pisteurs" aren't smiling perhaps because they are Muslims and dislike handle a pig?

A nice bull buffalo indeed. Why don't You shoot a red one instead? I suppose You could have shoot either a red or black one?

J B de Runz

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
JB,
I saw red buff on the trip, in fact I saw lots of buffalo of every hue, but none as big as the bull I shot. A red buff cow.

Thanks Steve... where are you hunting in '08?

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a hunt. Can't wait to read the hunt report. Congratulations Russell.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Russell, sounds like you had a great hunt and adventure.

The non smiling staff was also the first thing I noticed. Was that the norm or just in that photo?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was that the norm or just in that photo?

Just that photo... that's why i found it so funny. Think everyone but me got caught unaware by the camera's click!

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures -- it looks like you did quite well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote