THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Bill Quimby - updated with Bill's passing today
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Quimby - updated with Bill's passing today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sad to learn of his passing. Like many, I only “knew” him on AR. His posts were always insightful. It’s interesting how I have only met a few of you in person, but feel like I know many more of you from this great forum.

RIP, sir.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Bill occasionally to get his advice on what books to read and study. He helped with my writing skills. I am an engineer and cannot write without numbers, so he sorted that for me.

What many may not know was that he was integral part to SCI's rise as a hunting organization rather than a good old boys club. He hunted with C. E. McElroy several times, he ghost wrote many well known books, he edited the SCI magazine for many years. He helped SCI transition away from McElroy's club to a real club.

He lamented that SCI has lost its way lately but felt solid about the core members. He was a voice of reason for that group.

Good guy that left a legacy.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Condolences to his Family and Friends.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
What many may not know was that he was integral part to SCI's rise as a hunting organization rather than a good old boys club. He hunted with C. E. McElroy several times, he ghost wrote many well known books, he edited the SCI magazine for many years. He helped SCI transition away from McElroy's club to a real club.

Here's quite a bit from Wikipedia about Bill's life and accomplishments.

Bill Quimby

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Did not know he received the Capstick award.

He was generous enough to offer an introduction to Fiona Capstick who kindly sent a signed bookplate from herself and Adelino for my copy of Winds of Havoc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace Bill,I enjoyed your posts. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear of Bill's passing. I knew him for about forty years, and wrote a few yarns for him when he was the editor of Safari Magazine. He was a fine man.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bill always held a good hand, yet always close to his vest.

I respect that.

May he rest in peace.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13395 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
Bill and I swapped a few books through the years. And being from Tucson I had met him a time or two. We often talked about flying up to see one of old friends Cpt. Brandt near Alamosa. But his health or mine kept us from doing that. Now the Captains gone also. I turned my pilot license in because of health and sold the plane. We seemed to enjoy much the same things. I have several of the books he wrote. He will be missed by me and those who knew him either in person or here on the forum. Adios Amigo, I will miss you.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just seeing this thread - in JNB after a hunt. I communicated with Bill a few times.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please give his family my best if you see them Tony.
He has always been one of the good guys to hunt or share a campfire with.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear that. A real gentleman.

Prayers and condolences to his family.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIP.... life is so darn precious!

Condolences to his family and friends.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, gone already?
Just read about him going to hospice a couple nights ago.
Didn't get on last night and had a foul up the night before.

Tonight as I got online thinking I'd better send a note before getting sidetracked here.
I just got it sent and came over here to find out it's too late.

RIP Bill, we're gonna miss you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest In Peace.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
RIP Bill

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today I got a reply to my "too late" message to Bill.
from his Dau Stephanie.
Sent the obit, a long poem, and a couple other such things. I tried to fwd it to Saeed and was rejected.
I sent it to a few others on here and it seems to have gone thru. Hope someone will post it. That's beyond my experience.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, Bill.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Has an official obituary been published in a newspaper?

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post

REMEMBERING BILL QUIMBY

By- SportsAfield

Hunter, conservationist, writer, and author of many bestselling big-game hunting books, he left his mark on the outdoor world.

Author, editor, publisher, columnist, and lifelong Arizonan William R. “Bill” Quimby has died at age 81.

From 1983 to 1999, Quimby was editor and publisher of Safari Club International’s Safari magazine, the annual SCI Record Books of Trophy Animals, and the monthly Safari Times and Safari Times Africa newspapers. From 1967 to 1994, he was the outdoor editor of the Tucson Citizen and a member of its editorial board from 1987 to 1994.

He was born in Tucson on September 30, 1936, and attended schools in Yuma before returning to Tucson in 1954 to enroll in the University of Arizona’s College of Business and Public Administration. After graduating with a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, he was employed in the advertising divisions of Levy’s and Jacome’s department stores, and at local advertising and public relations agencies. He founded and published Arizona Outdoor News, a regional newspaper covering Arizona’s hunting and fishing opportunities, for three years in the 1960s.

He was a founding member of the Tucson Art Directors Club and southern Arizona chapters of Ducks Unlimited and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. He also served as the 1990 president of the One Shot Antelope Hunt’s Past Shooters Club in Lander, Wyoming.

During the 1960s, Quimby won several metalicas siluetas—long-distace, high-power rifle shooting contests—in Sonora, Mexico.

In 1973, the Arizona Wildlife Federation presented Quimby with the Conservation Communicator of the Year award for “outstanding contributions to the wise use and management of the nation’s natural resources.” In the 1980s he served as a member of a governor’s panel that advised the Arizona Game and Fish Department on fundraising methods.

After retiring in 1999, he divided his time between his home in Tucson and a cabin in Greer, and wrote or edited more than two dozen books on international big-game hunting subjects.

One of his books, Royal Quest, told of the hunting expeditions of Prince Abdorreza Pahlavi, brother of the last Shah of Iran. Another of his books chronicled the history of Safari Club International. His own memoir, Sixty Years a Hunter, was published in 2010.

Quimby received numerous awards as a reporter, columnist, editor, and publisher, and, in 2003, he became one of only three authors to be presented the Peter Hathaway Capstick International Literary Award, the highest award a hunting and adventure author can receive. He was inducted into the Arizona Outdoor Hall of Fame in 2006.

Quimby hunted in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, and the South Pacific, taking more than sixty different types of big-game animals, including all ten species found in Arizona. Utilizing his knowledge of hunting in Africa, he moderated Safari Club International’s popular “Your First African Safari” seminars for nearly twenty-five years at the club’s annual conventions in Nevada.

He is survived by Jean, his wife of more than 62 years, daughter Stephanie Quimby-Greene of Tucson, and grandchildren Natalie Greene of San Francisco and Logan Greene of Tucson.

https://sportsafield.com/remembering-bill-quimby/

Posts: 2929 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

We're going to miss you big guy.

Sincerely,

Ty Beaham

Posts: 2929 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
RIP Bill, you will be missed and remembered.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deepest sympathy to his family and his friends. He was a superb contributor to this Board.

Thanks for publishing the obituary, Ty.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote