Trophies or Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Glad Steve Arhenberg and Jim have acknowledged they like to engage in a bloodsport.

I do too. I like to kill stuff too why else would I go 10,000 miles, spend 40-50 percent of median us worker annual income to sometimes bring back trophies that are basically worthless after I spend lots of money mounting it. Going on safari does not relax or de stresses me like it does some other ar members. I enjoy the hunting and killing part but the whole process - air travel, packing, being out of electronic communications sucks and is stress full.

At least for me I can take the killing out of vacation and just go on a green vacation of Africa cause I am trading off traveling with guns, $$$$ spent for other stuff.

I can get my bloodsport in the us and at the same time have meat.

The conservation in hunting comes from $$$$ spent, private property rights, rational economic agents maximizing profits over time and optimal use of a renewable resource. The act of killing an animal does little for conservation directly - it's all the indirect stuff. But if there is no property right - there will be little conservation.

One even occasionally kills fish in catch and release.

Mike

Great points Mike. As to your point about catch and release fish dying. You saw with your own eyes the amount of time spend with the Piraiba prior to release.

Our group did in fact lose one and you saw the reaction. We immediately discontinued fishing for them for the balance of the trip. You hooked one fishing for another species. Paul hooked one Payara fishing also,but he was in a Kayak.

A 200# fish on a bass rod, from a kayak. Eeker

+1

I have only seen one true conservationist in all my hunting and fishing - that was Abel the indian guide in Brazil. A true conservationist is one who will choose conservation and take a stand resulting in a serious economic loss.

I think it was because he came from a world view so removed from a consumerist world view one finds in 98-99 percent of humanity.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say one thing about engaging in a bloodsport and killing few to many animals a year.

I have become very aware of the act of killing. Not in the sense that I want a trophy on the wall or meat in the freezer.

It is I don't want to waste animal protein be it in a food from animal hunted or any other protein. I have significantly minimized my food wastage.

I am also more aware of animal cruelty in what it takes to generate animal protein in society. The killing in hunting is far less cruel than the killing to make chicken nuggets.

If what is done billions of time each year to chickens to harvest their protein was every done to any bird or animal hunted there would be a firestorm on AR.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Glad Steve Arhenberg and Jim have acknowledged they like to engage in a bloodsport.

I do too. I like to kill stuff too why else would I go 10,000 miles, spend 40-50 percent of median us worker annual income to sometimes bring back trophies that are basically worthless after I spend lots of money mounting it. Going on safari does not relax or de stresses me like it does some other ar members. I enjoy the hunting and killing part but the whole process - air travel, packing, being out of electronic communications sucks and is stress full.

At least for me I can take the killing out of vacation and just go on a green vacation of Africa cause I am trading off traveling with guns, $$$$ spent for other stuff.

I can get my bloodsport in the us and at the same time have meat.

The conservation in hunting comes from $$$$ spent, private property rights, rational economic agents maximizing profits over time and optimal use of a renewable resource. The act of killing an animal does little for conservation directly - it's all the indirect stuff. But if there is no property right - there will be little conservation.

Mike

Great points Mike. As to your point about catch and release fish dying. You saw with your own eyes the amount of time spend with the Piraiba prior to release.

Our group did in fact lose one and you saw the reaction. We immediately discontinued fishing for them for the balance of the trip. You hooked one fishing for another species. Paul hooked one Payara fishing also,but he was in a Kayak.

+1

I have only seen one true conservationist in all my hunting and fishing - that was Abel the indian guide in Brazil. A true conservationist is one who will choose conservation and take a stand resulting in a serious economic loss.

I think it was because he came from a world view so removed from a consumerist world view one finds in 98-99 percent of humanity.

Mike

That tribe of Indians would sooner lose the economic impact from our expeditions if they felt it endangered the health of their environment and or indigenous species.

A gentler, kinder and more respectful people I have yet to see.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

Tips will change that.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Mike

Tips will change that.

Not so sure.

They like consumer stuff - everyone does. They like the comp via tips and fishing to buy stuff - boats to get around river. Stuff.

But I think they have a deeper tie to the river and the fish. They will trade stuff/money/tips for very little change to the river. Maybe that changes over time.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Man, this philosophical stuff is really making my head hurt! Lets just go hunting!! Smiler

Better than you chest. sofa

+1

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Tips will change that.

Not so sure.

They like consumer stuff - everyone does. They like the comp via tips and fishing to buy stuff - boats to get around river. Stuff.

But I think they have a deeper tie to the river and the fish. They will trade stuff/money/tips for very little change to the river. Maybe that changes over time.

Mike

I think I agree with Mike. These people are far different than anything you have or will ever experience. They could carry all their personal possessions in their hat. They don't see any need for anymore.

Some mornings fishing, we start fishing with small snails, gathered on the bank. We then catch Pacu and other small baitfish with the snails, we then have bait to fish for the desired species. To them, everything has a reason and a flow, no need to be in a hurry. I've learned volumes about life in general from them.

Their days all begin with the morning and end with the evening with the same happy and peaceful smile they had, greeting you at the boat in the morning.

A thunderstorm while traveling the river is normal. We (clients) put on our raincoats. Some of them have raincoats, some don't. Those that don't simply carry on, with no reaction to the rain.

As mentioned we lost a Piraiba. The group before us lost three. The reason was unknown so we just stopped. Paul, who speaks their language was concerned not only for the fish but that they might throw us off the river, which they can do.

Comparing them to the trackers and villagers in rural Africa isn't going to even be a close comparison. If I had to really reach for a comparison, think of the relationship the big blue monkeys had with the land in the movie Avatar. It is in fact that spiritual to them.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Trophies or pictures either are fine. No moral harm as long as the animal is not wasted - meat, hide, products are salvaged for human use. I see no difficultly in this and no philosophical debate.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Tips will change that.

Not so sure.

Mike

I think I agree with Mike. These people are far different than anything you have or will ever experience. They could carry all their personal possessions in their hat. They don't see any need for anymore.

Some mornings fishing, we start fishing with small snails, gathered on the bank. We then catch Pacu and other small baitfish with the snails, we then have bait to fish for the desired species. To them, everything has a reason and a flow, no need to be in a hurry. I've learned volumes about life in general from them.

Their days all begin with the morning and end with the evening with the same happy and peaceful smile they had, greeting you at the boat in the morning.

A thunderstorm while traveling the river is normal. We (clients) put on our raincoats. Some of them have raincoats, some don't. Those that don't simply carry on, with no reaction to the rain.

As mentioned we lost a Piraiba. The group before us lost three. The reason was unknown so we just stopped. Paul, who speaks their language was concerned not only for the fish but that they might throw us off the river, which they can do.

Comparing them to the trackers and villagers in rural Africa isn't going to even be a close comparison. If I had to really reach for a comparison, think of the relationship the big blue monkeys had with the land in the movie Avatar. It is in fact that spiritual to them.

Can't wait till Nov to experience it!!!!! To the original question, since my house is totally full of trophies and I can't afford to enlarge it or build a free standing trophy room, should I quit hunting Africa or anywhere else other than here on my farm for meat???

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That sounds real fun!!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

That sounds real fun!!!!

To watch!!

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

A lot more catch and release fish die than people think. There have been studies on mortality rates on fish 5 to 7 days after release. For some fish it can be 30% or higher.

Go Duke!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
quote:

Mike

A lot more catch and release fish die than people think. There have been studies on mortality rates on fish 5 to 7 days after release. For some fish it can be 30% or higher.

These fish would be seen were they dying in previous years. I've likely caught 25-30 of these Piraiba. We have always put a tail rope on them when we get them to the boat. I've never lost one.

No pressure applied to the rope, just in case they were to come un-hooked on the paddle over to a beach for pictures. A few pictures of the fish in the shallow water of the beach, then I get in the water with the guide and the fish and spend as few as 20 minutes and as long as 45 or so for them to swim away with some power.

There was some water anomaly this year. The water was like 90 or more degrees on the bottom, which is over 80 feet in this hole. When you would reel up a bait or a fish, it was actually HOT to the touch.

I personally think it was the lower oxygen content of the superheated water killing them. When released, they go straight to the bottom, couldn't recover from the lactic acid. And floated to the top to be consumed by Piranha and birds. It seemed to take three-four days for them to die.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Aaron and others on this. My house is full of trophies. My office is full of trophies. My partners have given me one conference room at the office and it is full. I have a safari at the taxidermist and I'm going again in July.

I had to rent a storage unit this year for trophies. We are in the process of looking into architects to design a new house to include a trophy room, but at some point that too will be full. But I'm hardly going to stop hunting.

Steve, while I agree with Ruark's sentiment, I think a photo would suffice, so long as the animal is not wasted.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus one for photos, have little interest in trophies. Hunting gives me access to wild areas without a ton of strangers around, allows me to participate in the ecosystem, get to know the people in camp and learn about the country, see some beautiful scenery, and have an adventure with friends or family. And unless chasing DG, it can be done for less than the price of a fancy safari lodge.....

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
killing for the fun of killing just does not excite me whatsoever

I do not think that is what you are hearing from most folks . . . that they hunt for the fun of killing. I think the quote by Jose Ortega y Gasset sums it up nicely:

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted...If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job."

This is great quote and really sums it up for me. Photos all the way for me. I don't have much interest in taxidermy. I just love to hunt. I enjoy the entire process, starting on practicing with my rifles months before the hunt, and ending with taking the game in Africa. There is so much more to it than pulling the trigger. What's better than rolling into hunting camp on the first day?? I've had many great days in the bush where we walked 10+ miles chasing buffalo or elephants and never fired a shot. Being in the bush disconnected from my job is very relaxing and recharges my soul.

The other point about the link between hunting and conservation is also very important. The local population has to see value in the animals.

As long as the animal is not wasted, there is no moral issue just because you are not stuffing head. Apart from a couple jackals, the meat from the animals that we've killed in African was recovered and utilized. No moral issue for me.

Go Duke!!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nothing is ever wasted in Africa!

I would shoot any animal on life like lisence, if no one eats it - the vultures and hyaenas would!

And I love vultures and haenas clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't use or enjoy something then why pay for it.I like having taxidermy done as long as I can enjoy it.If it were to get to the point that I would have so much as to have the mounts lying around everywhere in a wasteful sense then why do more? I would prefer to not leave a trophy there but I would have to compromise depending on a given situation.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've discarded all of my mounts and now only have skull or horn mounts. Several trips I did not take anything home. A few and I didn't even take any pictures. The memories are just fine.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting question to ponder. I clicked that it would be OK to leave the trophies there, but then, even if I were to leave most of the trophies there, I suspect I'd likely always bring one or two home. Pictures, yes many, of everything. For me it is less about whether to bring trophies home or leave them, than it is to hunt animals I find of interest. As an example, I have absolutely no interest in shooting any blesbok, bontebok, genetic mutation springbok ot tsessebe. Those animals are simply of no interest whatsoever, even if a Rowland Ward world record. On the other hand, I'll always be interested in hunting more Buffalo, regardless of whether I bring them home or not.

I've found that mounting animals has become less and less important to me in recent years. My trophy room is 'tastefully' full, as I don't like crowding them just for the sake of adding another mount, but I do like having the antlers, horns, skulls around as a memento of a great hunting experience. An example would be elk, as I have 7 of the good bulls my son and I shot in my room. My fireplace will only hold 5 of them, so I have my first big 6 pt. bull up there, along with my sons 1st and my biggest all up on the chimney. I have antlers of a couple solo archery 6 pt. bulls sitting on the hearth, but two of our biggest bulls are sitting in other areas on the floor. I doubt they'll ever get mounted or put on my fireplace but I always enjoy looking at them and remembering those hunts.

Heck, I have skulls from an old strip buck and a B&C pronghorn I killed solo last fall sitting out in the garage. I doubt I'll ever mount them or even put them in the house-but I like seeing them every day.

I guess it just isn't that important to me either way as I've grown older.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Nothing is ever wasted in Africa!

I would shoot any animal on life like lisence, if no one eats it - the vultures and hyaenas would!

And I love vultures and haenas clap

tu2
I love the whole aspect of the safari but don't really need anymore trophy so on the walls

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a house full of taxidermy and a bunch in waiting with the taxidermist for me to give him the word to mount it. I must say Sadie is responsible for a lot of that as she really loves the taxidermy. Having said that if hunter comes to me on a tight budget and wants to hunt Africa badly the first thing I might tell him is cut out the trophy shipping and taxidermy. As long as the animal is utilized I see no moral dilemma there. To me it is important to spend a few moments with the dead animal and thank him for what he has provided and just admire a magnificent creature but that's just my routine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I have a house full of taxidermy and a bunch in waiting with the taxidermist for me to give him the word to mount it. I must say Sadie is responsible for a lot of that as she really loves the taxidermy. Having said that if hunter comes to me on a tight budget and wants to hunt Africa badly the first thing I might tell him is cut out the trophy shipping and taxidermy. As long as the animal is utilized I see no moral dilemma there. To me it is important to spend a few moments with the dead animal and thank him for what he has provided and just admire a magnificent creature but that's just my routine.

Mark

Both of the bolded statements had meaning for me.

As to the first, before we went on our first trip across the pond, which was going to be the only "trip of a lifetime", we discussed taxiedmy. Joyce was fairly adamant there would be no dead heads anywhere but the "TV" room.

I negotiated an approval that the cape buffalo would go in our great room since this was really the only African animal I truly dreamed about hunting since childhood thanks to the "black death" hype.

Something interesting happened. Joyce shoot a couple guinea fowl and a crap load of doves for the table while in Zambia. I didn't tell her but had the guinea fowl skinned and sent back with the other trophies. Jerry mounted them first and shipped them up.

When deciding where they should go in the house guess what. They were the first African critters to get to us and they went into the great room on prominent display at her choice. Big Grin

Fast forward ---- the Leopards will be in the open floor plan dinning room staring at dinners in the future. Wink

As to the second bolded part, I would not have mounted near as many critters from that first trip if I had it to do over. But remember I also didn't expect to go back and kill a bunch more.

Now like you Mark, we have all the critters from the hunt with Andrew, except the Lion, still with Jerry as well as the leopards. He's holding them for us and we will have one last big mounting splurge in the next couple years.

I have no idea what will ever happen with these 3D memories when we pass.

For a really frugal couple it's the stupidest finance decision in 43 years of marriage but somehow, other than limiting the mounts from that first trip, I likely wouldn't do anything different.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
killing for the fun of killing just does not excite me whatsoever

So what are you killing for?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
This is an interesting question to ponder. I clicked that it would be OK to leave the trophies there, but then, even if I were to leave most of the trophies there, I suspect I'd likely always bring one or two home. Pictures, yes many, of everything. For me it is less about whether to bring trophies home or leave them, than it is to hunt animals I find of interest. As an example, I have absolutely no interest in shooting any blesbok, bontebok, genetic mutation springbok ot tsessebe. Those animals are simply of no interest whatsoever, even if a Rowland Ward world record. On the other hand, I'll always be interested in hunting more Buffalo, regardless of whether I bring them home or not.

I've found that mounting animals has become less and less important to me in recent years. My trophy room is 'tastefully' full, as I don't like crowding them just for the sake of adding another mount, but I do like having the antlers, horns, skulls around as a memento of a great hunting experience. An example would be elk, as I have 7 of the good bulls my son and I shot in my room. My fireplace will only hold 5 of them, so I have my first big 6 pt. bull up there, along with my sons 1st and my biggest all up on the chimney. I have antlers of a couple solo archery 6 pt. bulls sitting on the hearth, but two of our biggest bulls are sitting in other areas on the floor. I doubt they'll ever get mounted or put on my fireplace but I always enjoy looking at them and remembering those hunts.

Heck, I have skulls from an old strip buck and a B&C pronghorn I killed solo last fall sitting out in the garage. I doubt I'll ever mount them or even put them in the house-but I like seeing them every day.

I guess it just isn't that important to me either way as I've grown older.

I have well over 50 life size,shoulder mounts, skulls, rugs, and skins in my TR. It is getting a bit crowded. I also have a lot of elk, caribou, and deer antlers in the garage. Like you, I have a hard time not keeping "something." I always shoot a deer in MN for meat (you can party hunt there so I have always been able to shoot a deer for meat and keep hunting) because MsAZW doesn't eat beef and we both like game. In 2014 I shot a small forkhorn and left the antlers at my daughter's house. This past Nov when I arrived for my hunt she and her hubby presented me with a welcome basket that contained among other things a beer bottle opener made from one of the deer antlers. One of my favorite "trophies" now - it hangs on the wall next to the beer fridge in the bar in my TR.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet there are very few minimalist with trophy rooms.

People who have a lot of trophies also will tend to have a lot of stuff - not just hunting or fishing but also general stuff in life.

My goal in life is to have very little stuff beyond guns and books. I need to start getting rid of guns and give away some books.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

People who have a lot of trophies also will tend to have a lot of stuff - not just hunting or fishing but also general stuff in life.

My goal in life is to have very little stuff beyond guns and books. I need to start getting rid of guns and give away some books.

Mike

You've been to our place. I don't think we are minimalists and certainly not excessive accumulators. The issue for us at this stage of life and retirement is downsizing the "stuff" when that "stuff" generally has some nostalgic attachment.

Our native art and craft collection is a good example. To anyone else that are baskets, and ivory carvings, and animal parts turned to art.

To us they are Anna Beaver, Margaret Wassillie, Samuel Fox and other's legacy. You just can't part with that easily. I'm sure eventually, unless we die suddenly, they will be gifted to friends and relatives.

I already promised Brett Barringer the Croc but he has to take it down. Big Grin

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

You've been to our place. I don't think we are minimalists and certainly not excessive accumulators. The issue for us at this stage of life and retirement is downsizing the "stuff" when that "stuff" generally has some nostalgic attachment.

Our native art and craft collection is a good example. To anyone else that are baskets, and ivory carvings, and animal parts turned to art.

To us they are Anna Beaver, Margaret Wassillie, Samuel Fox and other's legacy. You just can't part with that easily. I'm sure eventually, unless we die suddenly, they will be gifted to friends and relatives.

I already promised Brett Barringer the Croc but he has to take it down. Big Grin

Cheers
Jim

Jim:
You and Joyce do have a beautiful home and tastefully done. One question: why the life-sized statue, bronze bust, and portraits--all of Shootaway?
Just wondering?
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Cheers
Jim

Jim:
You and Joyce do have a beautiful home and tastefully done. One question: why the life-sized statue, bronze bust, and portraits--all of Shootaway?
Just wondering?
Cal

That is seriously funny! jumping

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Cheers
Jim

Jim:
Just wondering?
Cal

That is seriously funny Cal.

Jim you guys are the exception.

I was thinking more of Biebs who has taxidermy in crates in his garage. He also has a lot of earthmoving equipment to keep raising the berm on his private shooting range dancing

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas

Jim:
Just wondering?
Cal

He was much cuter as a child . . .

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I simply feel my responsibility goes further, its really that simple.

Perhaps not. You say above that you would not hunt lion or elephant without the ability to import the trophies. Not hunting lion and elephant means that critical dollars from trophy fees that are necessary for anti-poaching, research, habitat preservation, etc. are lost . . . to the detriment of both species. It could be suggested that only hunting those animals if able to import the trophies is actually acting irresponsibly as to both species and that those that continue to do such hunts despite the import restrictions are actually acting more responsibly. Just another perspective.
tu2

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas

Jim:
Just wondering?
Cal

He was much cuter as a child . . .

animal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Cheers
Jim

Jim:
Just wondering?
Cal

Hey Cal,

Have you forgotten I'm handling the food at the double rifle shoot? I have a new secret sauce for your burger my friend. Big Grin

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Cheers
Jim

Jim:
Just wondering?
Cal

That is seriously funny! jumping

Best not to encourage him when he's off his meds. sofa

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
All of you make up the AR I love so much.
Cheers in good fun to you all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
I responded anonymously above but it raised a question in my mind regarding the interplay of trophy exports and tipping. If you are on a canned lion hunt in South Africa with Mark Sullivan in order to complete your Inner Circle Diamond Award and receive a World Hunting Award Ring and you are successful on the hunt but elect not to export the trophy, how does that affect the appropriate tip?

Confused

TOP POST OF 2017!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love cull/management hunting for the thrill of the hunt. If I want to bring a trophy home, I will. If I don't, I won't. I will lose no sleep over it.

Other people's opinions on my legal hunting activities are irrelevant to me.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I have no problems leaving animals in Africa or anywhere for that matter. I caught a lot of shit for not having my lion shipped back, but couldn't get anyone to shell out the money for shipping and taxidermy.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote