THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Hunt Reports & Offered/Discounted Hunts
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt Reports & Offered/Discounted Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

How about we all agree to try and stop turning threads on those two forums into pissing matches. If you don't like canned Lion hunting tell everybody about it here. If you don't agree with someone's idea of maturity of game or the method in which it was taken voice it with a thread here.

It's just not right pissing on someone's report or hunt offer.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7617 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

How about we all agree to try and stop turning threads on those two forums into pissing matches. If you don't like canned Lion hunting tell everybody about it here. If you don't agree with someone's idea of maturity of game or the method in which it was taken voice it with a thread here.

Cheers
Jim

+1

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 more. Good post Frostbit.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
+3

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13346 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+4

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen (and Ladies),

Cheers
Jim

Frostbit:

This is a Public Forum where posts are open to discussion, opinions and criticisms. The only persons who can object to what you are claiming are the Administrators/Moderators.
It would be even better for canned hunts to be offered as canned hunts and not camouflaged as a natural hunt where the offered animal is pen raised or genetically modified and where, in a number of cases, decent clients unwittingly get taken for a ride.

Remember the World Record lion?

So, if you are a 'put and take', 'pen raised' or 'genetically modified' fan you know where to go shopping and feel relatively safe from the critics (at least we we all know who's who).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe we need a "SHOUT OUT" forum for those organizations & individuals that provide the canned hunts, that PERMIT THE KILLING OF IMMATURE GAME.

Many hunters are 1st time hunters & won't know the SUBTLE DIFFERENCES between a shooter or let it get a little older (not an excuse for taking what is obviously immature game). Although a person may have hunted plains game many times, their 1st time big 5 shooting decision should be the joint decision of the PH & the hunter.

So, as Frostbit said no pissing matches but take it to the "SHOUT OUT" forum and give a big shout out to those responsible for letting it happen.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:

That sounds reasonable to me.

I don't think we need a SHOUT OUT forum. All we need is for outfitters to provide full disclosure about the type of hunt they are promoting and how it is to be conducted. Maybe the Admins could add such a requirement and hold outfitters to it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
"pissing" on someone's thread from 2 clicks away seems rediculous to me, what's the difference? I would rather be involved in a forum where people feel free to speak their minds. You feel that something you have posted has been twisted or misrepresented, post it with the proof, you have the same posting priveledges the naysayers do. Let your posting history, reputation and content Of post determine whether you have credibility or not. This isn't 5 yr old soccer where we don't keep score and spend our energy building up everyone's self image. How about a forum where I post my honest thoughts and don't worry about what some anonomous hack in BFE posts in respOnse to it. Knowing that you are going to be "held accountable" by those who know is the only bs filter this medium has.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Civility is a lost word these days.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gibs. I would rather be able to speak my mind especially on canned shooting. Shooting an animal in a 2000acre pen isn't going to look good to any of the non hunters out there. Hunting Whitetails where your garanteed a buck over 170" as posted in the past isn't what I consider hunting.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think we need a SHOUT OUT forum. All we need is for outfitters to provide full disclosure about the type of hunt they are promoting and how it is to be conducted. Maybe the Admins could add such a requirement and hold outfitters to it.

It is still just another form of censorship.
There is nothing illegal about what was posted. Again this is simply a matter of differing tastes and opinions. If we go down this route, then where do you stop.
It is really a matter of protecting the Rights of Hunters. As long as we bicker amongst ourselves and impose our values on fellow hunters, we are actually breaking down the sport regardless of what our intentions may be.

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Quest,

As long as we attack each other, then the anti's work is done for them.

If you like or do not like put and take Lion hunting doesn't matter. It helps save wild Lions plain and simple. Look at what High Fenceing has done for the Plains Game, 20 years ago Blesbok were almost gone. Now they are one of the cheapest on the pricelist. There are more Blackbuck in Texas than in India.

This issue has been hammered out hundreds of time here on AR and it is pathetic. Just because you don't shoot an animal behind a fence doesn't make you better than someone who does.

Do you feel that by not hunting put and take the anti's are not going to come for you if fencing is outlawed? Please!

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldnt it be simpler if some additional rules, faq's as it were ... were posted for every entry in that section.... such as...

1. Is it high fence/low fence - not some bullshit excuse, like the fence is fallen down on one side. It either is or it isnt.
2. Will I be hunting a natural breeding herd?
3. Will I be hunting for the biggest trophy available? Are there any premiums to be paid for bigger trophies?

These are the types questions that most buyers want to know... you might as well be honest upfront and everyone post them!!

These same questions/answers can be applied to any trophy hunt - providing them (and possibly others) upfront may even cut down the BS and innuendo!! Anyone who doesnt want to post the answers to these questions - doesnt want to be upfront and honest.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
Wouldnt it be simpler if some additional rules, faq's as it were ... were posted for every entry in that section.... such as...

1. Is it high fence/low fence - not some bullshit excuse, like the fence is fallen down on one side. It either is or it isnt.
3. Will I be hunting for the biggest trophy available? Are there any premiums to be paid for bigger trophies?

These are the types questions that most buyers want to know... you might as well be honest upfront and everyone post them!!

These same questions/answers can be applied to any trophy hunt - providing them (and possibly others) upfront may even cut down the BS and innuendo!! Anyone who doesnt want to post the answers to these questions - doesnt want to be upfront and honest.

+1 tu2

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is the Save fenced then?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:

+1 tu2

465H&H

+2

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe the intent is good, problem is that as anyone who has "concession" hunted in RSA knows, you may hunt a different concession every day, I think it would be burdensome and confusing to the neophyte and Outfitter both.

My only heartburn on this issue is the "pile on" mentality we so frequently see on anything related to Lions, Fences and the like. What on earth is wrong with just bypassing the offered hunt?

The other thing that is quite surprising to me is how PH's from some countries seemingly attack PH's form other hunting countries. If PH's can't even live and let live, we as an industry are screwed.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3514 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
I agree with Gibs. I would rather be able to speak my mind especially on canned shooting. Shooting an animal in a 2000acre pen isn't going to look good to any of the non hunters out there. Hunting Whitetails where your garanteed a buck over 170" as posted in the past isn't what I consider hunting.

If you think 2000 ac is a pen , you don't know what trees and brush looks like.

Just for instance in texas a white-tail buck will have a home range 0f @400-500 acres-

Shooting any animal doesn't look good to the anti's and neither does your judgmental holier than thou attitude.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Just for instance in texas a white-tail buck will have a home range 0f @400-500 acres-

Shooting any animal doesn't look good to the anti's and neither does your judgmental holier than thou attitude.

Cross, you are right.
I often find that most people who post comments like these have never hunted in Africa. These forums unfortunately play host to hordes of people who are here solely to fight over any and everything that may be on the table.
The fact they have never set foot in Africa means little to them.

It is also unfortunate that some outfitters have used these same issues as a marketing tool and have unwittingly done damage with the commentary they have delivered at any given opportunity.

I for one will take part in any hunt I damn well choose to that is within the laws of the land. I only wish more people would do the same. For those who dont approve, stick it in your pipe and smoke it. beer

Good hunting to you all
AHQ

Posts: 305 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 13 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by African Hunters Quest:
quote:

It is still just another form of censorship.
Not allowing outfitters to mislead potential customers on the forum is a form of censorship?

To me it doesn't matter what is being sold. It could be candy, Kayaks, or kudu. If it is sold as one thing and it is another then that's wrong.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

The last I knew the the Save had 16K's of its fence down. That's basically 10 miles. I guess it would have to be up to the individul if they thought the SAVE constituted a fenced property or not. To me the fence is irrelevant. The point is does the SAVE offer fair chase hunting and I believe it does.

To your original topic as others have suggested perhaps a little more tweaking of the rules for posting a hunt offering should be implemented. I personally have left out details on a hunt that I should have known, included and I apologized for that. I was not intentionally being deceptive but I was in a hurry to put something up and was not careful enough. So I would be more than happy to include more mandatory details. What I object to is the bashing an individual may get because their hunt offering does not fit someone's idea of an ethical hunt or they feel the hunt is too expensive etc. Saeed's philosophy is that if it is legal you can post it. I think all legitimate questions about who, what, where should be addressed by the one offering the hunt but these threads on a hunt that go off into space about whether high fence, low fence, no fence, put and take, naturally breeding etc constutute real hunting seems out of place to me on the Offered and Discounted Hunt forum.

As for the bashing of an individual's hunt report I just find that to be in extremely poor taste. When a bunch of people tell an individual that their hunt was shit when they are obviously quite excited about their experience is just not necessary. This bashing has made me rethink what I personally will include in future hunt reports. Over the last year or so several posters here have said to me "Why would I ever post a hunt report on AR".

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12972 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AMEN Mark. No need to abuse somebody. I wonder if those who bash would have enough balls to say these things face to face?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fujotupu:

It would be even better for canned hunts to be offered as canned hunts and not camouflaged as a natural hunt where the offered animal is pen raised or genetically modified and where, in a number of cases, decent clients unwittingly get taken for a ride.

I agree with this statement. An open market relies upon word of mouth, whether it be good or bad. A good product will receive praise. A bad product will be marked as such. All those commercials we see on TV for 24 karat gold plated buffalo nickels are meant to lure people into buying reproductions. Through very careful wording, the company that makes them leads one to believe that one is buying an authentic US Mint coin. I feel it is my responsibility to inform people that what they are considering ordering is not the real thing, not what they think it is. How are these canned lion hunts that are being marketed very carefully so as to lead one to believe they are free-range not the same thing as the 24 karat gold plated buffalo nickels? Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. If one's product is inferior and receives negative publicity, then perhaps the problem lies with one's product, not with those who criticize it.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Jim,

The last I knew the the Save had 16K's of its fence down. That's basically 10 miles. I guess it would have to be up to the individul if they thought the SAVE constituted a fenced property or not. To me the fence is irrelevant. The point is does the SAVE offer fair chase hunting and I believe it does.

To your original topic as others have suggested perhaps a little more tweaking of the rules for posting a hunt offering should be implemented. I personally have left out details on a hunt that I should have known, included and I apologized for that. I was not intentionally being deceptive but I was in a hurry to put something up and was not careful enough. So I would be more than happy to include more mandatory details. What I object to is the bashing an individual may get because their hunt offering does not fit someone's idea of an ethical hunt or they feel the hunt is too expensive etc. Saeed's philosophy is that if it is legal you can post it. I think all legitimate questions about who, what, where should be addressed by the one offering the hunt but these threads on a hunt that go off into space about whether high fence, low fence, no fence, put and take, naturally breeding etc constutute real hunting seems out of place to me on the Offered and Discounted Hunt forum.

As for the bashing of an individual's hunt report I just find that to be in extremely poor taste. When a bunch of people tell an individual that their hunt was shit when they are obviously quite excited about their experience is just not necessary. This bashing has made me rethink what I personally will include in future hunt reports. Over the last year or so several posters here have said to me "Why would I ever post a hunt report on AR".

Mark

I agree 100%. I only mentioned the Save (having never been there) because the reference to a part of a fence being down in another post.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Overland:
quote:
Frostbit:

I agree with this statement. An open market relies upon word of mouth, whether it be good or bad. A good product will receive praise. A bad product will be marked as such. All those commercials we see on TV for 24 karat gold plated buffalo nickels are meant to lure people into buying reproductions. Through very careful wording, the company that makes them leads one to believe that one is buying an authentic US Mint coin. I feel it is my responsibility to inform people that what they are considering ordering is not the real thing, not what they think it is. How are these canned lion hunts that are being marketed very carefully so as to lead one to believe they are free-range not the same thing as the 24 karat gold plated buffalo nickels? Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing. If one's product is inferior and receives negative publicity, then perhaps the problem lies with one's product, not with those who criticize it.

The above post that appears attributed to me was NOT my post. It was fujotupu.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apologize Frostbit. I made an error with the quotation feature. It has been corrected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit, what a nice sentiment! To suggest that people actually try to show one another some common courtesy...what a concept! If you have nothing good to say, then say nothing. Naturally, the thread that you started to promote this idea has already deteriorated into the type of food-fight that you were decrying...but, hey, it's the thought that counts.

Some of the posters who are so insulted at the notion that their negative comments are not welcomed with open arms should carry it one step further...take it off the internet, and into real life. The next time you see a couple walking down the street that consists of one attractive human and one that is less than beautiful, just prance right up and tell'em. I mean, it's not illegal or anything. You CAN do it, so why on earth shouldn't you do it?

"Hey, buddy...you look pretty normal. How did you wind up with such an ugly mutt for a girlfriend? The two of you seem so happy, it just doesn't seem right. I just thought you should know, 'cuz if I can't be that happy, I don't think you should be, either."

Honesty is the best policy, after all. The people on this site who post trophy pictures are implicitly asking to be critiqued, aren't they? Surely, they aren't merely happy with their hunts and their trophies, and looking for a place to share their happiness with like minds, are they? No, I think they are definitely here to be stomped on and ridiculed...yeah...that's gotta be it...they're asking for it.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwm:
Frostbit, .... Naturally, the thread that you started to promote this idea has already deteriorated into the type of food-fight that you were decrying...but, hey, it's the thought that counts.

John

John,

I think food fights are fine. Sometimes you learn from them.

The thought I'm trying to express with this thread is to do the food fighting on this general African hunting forum and not on the hunt reports or offered hunts forums.

Let's be serious. The regular posters that bash outfitters on the offered hunts forum are doing it for their own entertainment and nothing more. They can try and say they are attempting to save the unwashed masses from being duped into a canned Lion hunt but it's obvious it's a hobby for them and nothing more.

Why else would someone ask something like is it extra to have the ear tag removed and then later try and say I was just joking when you got called on it.

Do that crap here on this forum and leave the hunt reports and offered hunts alone!!

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only heartburn on this issue is the "pile on" mentality we so frequently see on anything related to Lions, Fences and the like. What on earth is wrong with just bypassing the offered hunt?

There is the crux of the deal, no one is being forced to book with anyone.

At what point does it become the Potential Client's responsibility to check out an operation BEFORE making a commitment.

More and more frequently as of late a Kangaroo Court Mentality has evolved among some members of this site. If the hunt being offered is inside a high fence, it should not be on here. If an animal is not up to some individuals trophy standards, pictures should not be posted. All Guides/Outfitters/PH's should only allow their clients to shoot "Trophy Quality" animals, if no real trophies are seen the client should go home empty handed and try again in the future. Any Guide/Outfitter/PH caught not enforcing that standard should be Publicly flogged and never allowed to be in the buiness again.

I think the rules the PTB's on this site have set up concerning postings on the topic area in question are more than fair and at some points potential clients have to grow some nuts and guts and gather information for themself.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall,
As usual, you rendered it down to the nuts and bolts. The only winner is the poster who's ego is somehow inflated by his witty remarks about a high fenced this or a soft bossed that or an immature whatever.

The looser's are many, how many members of this forum, past present and future will not post trophy pictures for fear of ridicule, or just have grown tired of the theatrics.

There are, I'm sure an exponential amount of lurkers, who love to look at pictures of hunts, animals and places that they could only dream of. They read these reports with wonder and amazement. Those of us that have chosen to not share, are not thin skinned, or "have our balls in our GF's purse". Why on earth would someone willingly subject themselves to this, from a bunch of guys you don't even know?

Those that we wish to share them with, we do, pretty simple concept huh. Like I said the forum looses.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3514 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Randall,
As usual, you rendered it down to the nuts and bolts. The only winner is the poster who's ego is somehow inflated by his witty remarks about a high fenced this or a soft bossed that or an immature whatever.

The looser's are many, how many members of this forum, past present and future will not post trophy pictures for fear of ridicule, or just have grown tired of the theatrics.

There are, I'm sure an exponential amount of lurkers, who love to look at pictures of hunts, animals and places that they could only dream of. They read these reports with wonder and amazement. Those of us that have chosen to not share, are not thin skinned, or "have our balls in our GF's purse". Why on earth would someone willingly subject themselves to this, from a bunch of guys you don't even know?

Those that we wish to share them with, we do, pretty simple concept huh. Like I said the forum looses.

Steve
A lot of that comes down to the moderation though dont you think?? It is all well and good to have a very open and inclusive discussion - but when people start stiring for petty point-scoring - it must be the moderators who step-in?? I would think...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of that comes down to the moderation though dont you think?? It is all well and good to have a very open and inclusive discussion - but when people start stiring for petty point-scoring - it must be the moderators who step-in?? I would think...

Damn Good point Matt. I really like this place because moderation is not all that heavy handed, but with something like this, it might be better that the thread is locked, and when someone wants to post a hunt offering it has to go thru a Moderator, and regular members only option is to either PM the person offering the hunt, or start a discussion in one of the other topic areas, specifically the one where the hunt is being offered i.e. Africa/America/Canada etc. etc. etc..

I have seen some sites where this is S.O.P., folks offering hunts, posts can not be responded too, so they will not be reduced to pissers contests.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:

SSR

Sorry if you took offence Cross. I was not putting you down for huning like this but simply stated how I felt about it. I also do feel 2000acres is a very small piece of land to hunt on. To give you a little history I have hunted in SA. It might shock the one poster that suggested I have not. I wanted a Zebra on my trip and it happens they took me to a small area of 4000 acres. We walked around in circles and blew about 4 stalks till we finally got my zebra. Was I really thrilled about it? Not really. The Zebra had no chance to get away from me. It ran off after we blew a stalk and we just had to close the distance again to see if we could get it done. I ended up shooting 12 species in 8 days on 60 000 acres. It was a good experience but looking back it was not a chalenge and I felt like I was collecting more than hunting. That is why this time I am headed to Zimbabwe and doing things a little differnt.

You mention a buck roaming 400 acres. The thing is some of these fenced areas will have a pil eof monster bucks in them and after a couple days of sitting there over a feeder or on an open area the success is pretty high is it not? To me it is not something I want to do but if you do it then have at it and I hope it is fun for you. I won't understand it myslef but as long as it is the experience you want then there is nothing wrong with it. I know for me I don't want to be in the same situation as I was last time in SA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
Randall,

Steve

Matt,
Yes, I think you are correct, believe it or not, I am actually a Moderator on another forum, it is not a hunting forum, more of a Boating / Motorsports enthusiast forum with a Hunting forum in it. The rules are extremely liberal, cussing is OK as is posting near nude stuff. no nip slips or pube shots. Point is, yes we give infractions for this type stuff, its called "Threadcrapping" you get enough infractions and you receive a "vacation".

That forum is more like Animal house than anything else and moderation keeps the hostility between members in check. Ever been rick rolled on a forum?

Big Grin

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone here advocating for civility and responsible posting is suggesting that anyone else be prevented from holding certain opinions about the game or the manner taken. If you feel the need to be derogatory or offensive - whatever - why not just take it somewhere else instead of the hunt report? I'm less certain this should extend to the hunt offered section but recently when I started reading the attacks on the legal lion hunts and high fences within that section, I started moving that direction too. If you're trying to make money here, you should be subject to more scrutiny, but the general "I hate that kind of hunting" attacks should be posted somewhere else.

I understand Frostbit's idea is to promote civililty in specific threads started by people taking the time to report back on their adventures. These are real people - not just avatars with however many posts ....

And for the record, I also often think WTF to myself when I see certain pics or read reports .... And I've been guilty of some negative commentary - particularly of that New Yorker's SA lion bow hunt on You Tube - Damn that was bad. But we can be better, no? Shouldn't we avoid cannibalizing our own?

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nube,
You hit the nail on the head!! I agree 100% with you! Where hunt whitetails, 20,000 acres is nothibg. I feel its a real hunt!!
I admire your fairchase ethics...good luck in ZimbabweSmiler

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Damn Good point Matt. I really like this place because moderation is not all that heavy handed, but with something like this, it might be better that the thread is locked, and when someone wants to post a hunt offering it has to go thru a Moderator, and regular members only option is to either PM the person offering the hunt, or start a discussion in one of the other topic areas, specifically the one where the hunt is being offered i.e. Africa/America/Canada etc. etc. etc..

I have seen some sites where this is S.O.P., folks offering hunts, posts can not be responded too, so they will not be reduced to pissers contests.

I am afraid we do not have the time to shift through offered hunts.

My own outlook on this is that outfitters should state exactly what is offered.

I see nothing wrong with hunting on farms, whether high fenced or not, as long as the individual client knows this before hand.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68239 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:

SSR

Sorry if you took offence Cross. I was not putting you down for huning like this but simply stated how I felt about it. I also do feel 2000acres is a very small piece of land to hunt on. To give you a little history I have hunted in SA. It might shock the one poster that suggested I have not. I wanted a Zebra on my trip and it happens they took me to a small area of 4000 acres. We walked around in circles and blew about 4 stalks till we finally got my zebra. Was I really thrilled about it? Not really. The Zebra had no chance to get away from me. It ran off after we blew a stalk and we just had to close the distance again to see if we could get it done. I ended up shooting 12 species in 8 days on 60 000 acres. It was a good experience but looking back it was not a chalenge and I felt like I was collecting more than hunting. That is why this time I am headed to Zimbabwe and doing things a little differnt.

You mention a buck roaming 400 acres. The thing is some of these fenced areas will have a pil eof monster bucks in them and after a couple days of sitting there over a feeder or on an open area the success is pretty high is it not? To me it is not something I want to do but if you do it then have at it and I hope it is fun for you. I won't understand it myslef but as long as it is the experience you want then there is nothing wrong with it. I know for me I don't want to be in the same situation as I was last time in SA.

You still aren't understanding--400 is the home range--doesnt matter if its fenced or not--You are wanting a dream world--every thing is confined one way or another-- do you even know how big 2000- acres are or 4000? sure doesn't seem like it. you hunted RSA once--well i have spent my whole life-50 yrs +- on ranches, finding tame cows in that much land is hard--much less game animals. 4000 acs = 6.25 sq miles.

If 60,000 acres was to small for you then there is not much we can do to help you--and if you look at the history of hunting in Africa then the word collecting is very appropriate. That is the term used form many years--it wasn't hunting to find something, by and large. Hunting in africa has always been mostly a matter of selecting the trophy you wanted. yes there are exceptions--but i believe generally you see game and have a chance to take something.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am afraid we do not have teh time to shift through offered hunts.

There in lies the problem, because we are all supposed to be adults about such things and no one wants to waste time baby sitting a bunch of adults who cannot simply stop raining on other peoples parades.

As long as people are posting their offers within the established guide lines established, I really don't see a problem, and as I said earlier, in the end it is the responsibility of the prospective clients to communicate with the person offering the hunt and get all the information before booking a hunt.

Not sure what is wrong with that concept, it has worked for me.