New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taxidermy Pictures Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone ever had a taxidermist require payment in full before they start the work? These are African trophies birds in specific.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I would sooner light that amount of cash on fire and watch it burn in front of me. At least I would get some warmth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only once here in the states and he was a part timer. Then I spent over 2 years tracing him down and threatening him with legal action, over $500 is a felony in most areas. I even sent him letters with a cc address to his local DA even though I never sent a copy of the letters to the DA. Finally got my stuff and it was crap. After that I found my current taxidemist who is full time and never requires full payment up front.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
I would sooner light that amount of cash on fire and watch it burn in front of me. At least I would get some warmth.

+1

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If this is a taxidermist located in Africa I would be very suspicious. What are you going to do if you never get your mounts and your money is gone? If it's a taxidermist located in the US, find someone else to do your mounts.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This taxidermist is located in the States and has a good reputation as to his work. I paid 50% deposit last Aug and now I get an email with a bill for the balance for the work and it is to be paid before he starts the work. He did prep the birds last year (that is what he says) so they should be in good condition. He is about 1000 miles from me. I just have to wonder do I let my deposit go and forfit the whole thing or ask for the unfinished product and find another taxidermist.
It seems most people think like me this is BS.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have a receipt, email, or similar with payment terms outlined?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I think that I recall from prior posts that you are using someone 30 miles up the road from me. This person has a stellar reputation and has been mentioned in a current thread as one of the top bird taxidermists in the country.

I think I'd call him and ask him about it before I gave up on the project and your deposit.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, you are correct. Just have never been ask to pay in full. I did send him an email questioning his demand. I can understand an email say your work is done pic attached and will release upon payment in full.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is in todays economy, people leave mounts at taxidermy shops and never pick them up. This guy may have been stuck one to many times. I'm sitting on several thousand dollars worth myself.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would never pay in full before I had my stuff. I even have a really hard time paying the 50% deposit......

In my line of business I don't get any "up front" money. Just payments on work completed.

In my experience "most" taxidermists and artist "types" have zero business or money management skills.

Without GOOD references I just don't use any taxidermist.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
chuckmaxman, this man knows I hunted these birds in Ghana along with a Royal Antelope and Maxwell Duiker. This is not a whitetail in the back 40. If I spent that kind of money on the trophies why in the H would not I pay for the taxidermy.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
The only two animals I have sent to a US taxidermist I paid nothing before and all ~10K after completion and pictures sent.

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX, how right you are we send clients bills in the thousands after the work is done by myself, partner and staff are paid for their time via payroll and overhead paid. It is called working capital.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted RSA I paid 50 % 14 days after i left the animals with them and the last 50 % before they would complete them and send them. Thought it was strange, but since I hadn`t done it before I just did it. I stil got them, but thought it wasn`t a good feeling since I had not seen anything of the work. But now they are safe in Norway Smiler

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
If you are using Shane, he does have a stellar reputation, but I certainly think that is a strange arrangement. I would think 50% deposit and 50% when complete and before release would be fair to all.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ditto.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've pre-paid 20, 50, and 100 percent with various taxidermist. Lots of variable as to why percentage of deposits vary but could be attributed to:
1) How badly they have been stiffed by clients that do not pick up finished work
2) What their cash flow looks like
3) Business acumen (using clients money... paid in full months before final product is delivered and transferring risk to client)

Make sure you use a taxidermist that does great work and that you trust. As with any business there are crooks looking to take your money and/or provide services that are below expectations.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Brownlee:
quote:

+1

+2 get another taxidermist

Posts: 10215 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if its shane, I would also vouch for him and his work.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I would question why a taxidermy work order/agreement was not completed when the order was received. The agreement should state the terms of the deposit and balance. Each taxidermist has their own way of doing things but If I was the client, I would have wanted to know the plan/schedule for payment up front.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It's like a builder would ask you for money to build your house up front.
Find someone else.
No matter what the reason is, all money up front?
That shows me he has financial problems. Any other excuses are BS.
Find another.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Good taxidermist or not, I would get a different one. A deposit is fine but full payment up front is not. There are quite a lot of very good taxidermists out there including that guy that Ivan uses in Mi.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Deposit up front from a new or unknown client is certainly standard operating procedure but no way would I pay the balance until completion, regardless of the person's reputation. Something seems fishy.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've paid various percentages as a deposit with many taxidermists over the years and once had a situation where the guy tried to rip me off (took nearly three years to get my mount and only then after he'd been raided by the local fish and game service for stealing from other clients). In most situations, I placed a 50% deposit with the balance due upon completion.

As strange as it may seem, a couple of months ago I offered to pay 100% down to a well known taxidermy service (recommended by friends) if they could guarantee me that the work would be done by a certain date (admittedly a bit earlier than their usual turnaround). I was impressed by the fact that the company turned down my offer! They said they'd do everything possible to expedite the work, but wouldn't take full payment because they couldn't promise me that the work would be completed by the date requested, although they'd do everything to meet that deadline with the normal 50%!!!

Although somewhat disappointed at their refusal, their honesty impressed me and even if they can't do the work in the time frame I'm hoping for, they certainly have my respect. If the work is a good as I hear it will be, they'll have a customer for life. This is the kind of company I want to do business with and once I receive my trophies, you'll probably be hearing more from me about them too. Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you taxidermist has a cash flow crisis and you came to mind as part of the solution. Just say No and Stand firm on your original deal.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have had taxidermy done in several countries.

They normally ask for a deposit - no more than 50%, and the rest is paid on completion.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67051 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just had a not so good time with a major US based taxidermist.

Paid 50% deposit.

6 months latter, Once work was complete paid the final amount prior to shipping.

12 months latter the items get shipped.
Had to call 2-3 times a day for almost a month.
Other wise I think they would still be sitting there.

3 were shoulder mounts.
1 had a pedistal and antlers and cape.

3 box's had 25% air space.
1 box had almost 50% air space.

Just what one would need for air freight.

One of the box's had dirt in the bottom, it just gets better.

Don't think Africa is the only place you can get ripped off and stuffed around.

This is from one of the larger US based operations but they do not post on here.

Caution.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those that want to vouch for Shane, I will forward the billing to you and you can front the funds, when I receive the finished product I will then pay you. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is typical for a Taxidermy Company to ask for 50% down before the work is commenced as this is security that the client will infact pay the remaining 50% for the trophies, but I would definitely not pay any more than that. All to often taxidermist are left with unwanted/unpaid for mounts which are of no value.
In saying this one should receive pictures of their mounts to ensure they are satisfied with the work before paying the final 50%.

Posts: 31 | Location: zimbabwe | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
For those that want to vouch for Shane, I will forward the billing to you and you can front the funds, when I receive the finished product I will then pay you. Big Grin

You're not really evaluating your options properly IMO. I wouldn't be happy about paying the remaining 50% before delivery, but if you consider how many bird mounts that the taxidermist has not been able to collect for, perhaps he has a point. What if the client dies before delivery, I'm not at all sure the widow would pay for the mounts at that point. Yours might, others might not.

However, the main consideration is, if you don't pay the 50%, you are now going to be in the position of it costing you at at least 150% of the cost of mounting plus more delays IF you can recover the hides and IF they arrive in good condition. All things considered, including the recs herein, I'd grit my teeth and pay the 50%.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not talking about your common Mallard mount, there will be no widow. Everyone in business has bad debts why the hell should a taxidermist be any different. I provide tax returns for my clients and off they go what can I retrieve. I sometimes wait until the next year when they need my services to get paid. I am sure his pricing takes these things into consideration if they don't that is his bad business practice. I probably will pay the funds but not without on hell of a stink. I haven't hear back from him since my last email.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]JTEX, how right you are we send clients bills in the thousands after the work is done by myself, partner and staff are paid for their time via payroll and overhead paid. It is called working capital.[/quote

X2, I deal in my business the same way. My customers would laugh at me if I made an "upfront" request.

However, I see no problem with a deposit and do not blame them given their unique industry. There are a lot of idiots in the world and when you deal with so many individuals, and not a large corporation/business, there will always be people that will not pay their bills.

I stick to the same reputable taxidermist. I know he has been ripped off and stuck with mounts. At least with a 50% deposit he can have a better chance to not get stuck with an animal.

If this guy is asking for all the money upfront, I would be suspicious...

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
So what was your original deal with him. You seem surprised by this request.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was no specific "deal", after many years of dealing with various taxidermists I had always given no deposit or a requested deposit and the balance due upon completion of the work. I was surprised when he requested full payment prior to starting the mounting. We have come to a compromise I gave him my cc # but retained the back code until the work is completed and I see pics of the work.

I heard all the sad stories about people not picking up their work right away or not paying after receiving the work etc.. Yea the real world.

One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Never been asked to pay up front and would not do it. Just not how I roll but I also consider my taxidermist a great friend and if something happened and he needed some $$$$ I would gladly do what I could.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the birds are in my office, unpacking is taking a while as I don't want to damage them. The White Throated Bee Eater (bee in mouth) is mounted with a glass cover over so as to protect is from prying hands Smiler. The Kingfisher is mounted on a branch and will hang from the wall. I haven't gotten the 2 Pygmy Geese unboxed yet nor the horned bill which will go to Marcus for final mounting in a tree which will go with my full body mounted Limpopo Bushbuck. Long time in coming.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Well, the birds are in my office, unpacking is taking a while as I don't want to damage them. The White Throated Bee Eater (bee in mouth) is mounted with a glass cover over so as to protect is from prying hands Smiler. The Kingfisher is mounted on a branch and will hang from the wall. I haven't gotten the 2 Pygmy Geese unboxed yet nor the horned bill which will go to Marcus for final mounting in a tree which will go with my full body mounted Limpopo Bushbuck. Long time in coming.

Odd, the pictures aren't loading.

Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't taken any! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
that would explain it! come on, man- a picture is worth a thousand words.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote