THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Be honest, what kind of hunter are you?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be honest, what kind of hunter are you?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted
A recent thread got me thinking.

Please tell me what kind of hunter you are. Do you want and are you willing and able to hunt Africa:

In a comfortable camp hunting in a large fenced area? (for plains game)

In a comfortable camp in a very large unfenced true wilderness area? (for plains and dangerous game)

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game) The camp would have toilets and showers but few roads so a degree of bush bashing would be called for and probably lack a few nicities such as perimiter fences so an occasional visit from lions etc might not be out of the question. Some fly camping might also be expected. Food would be plentiful but fairly basic.

Please be honest though. If you think you're not genuinely capable of a tough hunt for example, please say so.

If you need a budget to work to for your calculations, let's say somewhere in the region of US$30K.

This'll be very interesting! Smiler

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Mine is a comfortable camp in a wilderness area hunting plains and dangerous game. By comfortable I mean tent, shower and a toilet.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game)

Smiler

I prefer a tented camp in a more remote area. I want to see experience these places. Buffalo (my favorite to hunt) and elephant (don't have to worry about where to hang the head) are what really interest me.....taken most of the rest.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would describe myself as a "fun hunter".

I like certain comforts on a hunt, expecially in Africa, just because it is available.

I like to take a bath everyday and brush my teeth. I like getting my laundry done every day like they do in Africa. I don't mind sleeping in a tent. I like decent food well prepared. I like a cold drink with ice at the end of the day!

I don't want to hunt inside a fence. I like an ethical and challenging hunt, but no he-man heroics that might get me or someone else hurt or killed. Wink

I like to have the kind of hunt that I was promised when I booked, not last minute switches of areas or PH's, and people showing up in camp who were not supposed to be there. I prefer no children in camp.

That's about it.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Perhaps I should have defined the last option a bit better. (and will amend)

What I meant was:

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game).

The camp would have toilets and showers but few roads so a degree of bush bashing would be called for and probably lack a few nicities such as perimiter fences so an occasional visit from lions etc might not be out of the question. Some fly camping might also be expected. Food would be plentiful but fairly basic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite camp was last September. Fulvio Gianola teamed up with Paddy Curtis and his client, Notlim, and we fly camped along the Rafiji River. That was really cool. We had small personal tents, slept on the floor on pads, had one community shower set up with a flat rock to stand on. No toilet, but I have no problem without one (although they are nice).

The camp was fantastic. Probably the fact I shot a lion right after we set it up helped, but even without that, it was a great setup. The cook was even better than the main camp cook.

Samaras has huge hunting blocks, so the only way to hunt the area near the river was to fly camp.

I don't like high fenced hunting, esp in Africa. But hunting on a guy's farm in Namibia if the game is free ranging is a hell of a hunt too. But then again, I think I appreciate plains game more than most guys. Hell, I appreciate shooting rabbits with my .22!

The best thing about African camps is the shower. We have some land in Colorado that borders National Forest. We have a large wall tent that we setup every year for a week. We take showers every day when we camp on our Colorado land.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your second question as I understand it, do I choose shooting some good trophies (hopefully not inside a fence) or a true wilderness adventure - I would probably lean toward the shooting of good trophies with some degree of comfort. There are a lot of areas right close to home where I can rough it and get wilderness adventures. The far West Texas area comes to mind as well as the South Texas brush country - lots of cactus and mesquite thorns, rattlesnakes, spiders, bugs, hot as all get out, dusty and rocky. Lots of critters that bite and scratch.

I still want my ice and a cold beer at the end of the day in either place. No ice, forgetta bout it! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari;

I would definitely prefer Option #3, (and basically this is what I book) but I think I would do any of the others, under certain circumstances, if it was made clear before hand exactly what I was getting.

If I thought I was going to a wilderness camp and got a fenced concession, I wouldn't like it a bit.

If I knew, and opted to hunt a fenced area for specific game, then it would be OK.

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a shame to hunt behind fences in africa IMO

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
Its a shame to hunt behind fences in africa IMO

Seloushunter

That's one point I do agree on.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please tell me what kind of hunter you are. Do you want and are you willing and able to hunt Africa:

In a comfortable camp in a very large unfenced true wilderness area? (for plains and dangerous game)

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game) The camp would have toilets and showers but few roads so a degree of bush bashing would be called for and probably lack a few nicities such as perimiter fences so an occasional visit from lions etc might not be out of the question. Some fly camping might also be expected. Food would be plentiful but fairly basic.

Please be honest though. If you think you're not genuinely capable of a tough hunt for example, please say so.

If you need a budget to work to for your calculations, let's say somewhere in the region of US$30K.

I have hunted in all the above examples, so I am not sure where I fit in in the scheme of things.

In South Africa we hunted on farms, and lived in proper houses.

In Tanzania we hunted in tented camps, and have had lions watching us while having dinner.

On one occassion they chased wildebeest right into camp.

In Zimbabwe we hunted from camps where one finds buffalo droppings by the fire in the morning.

On one occassion we found the tracks of a leoprad that had passed in front of the door of our hut. It was October in Chete, and the hut had only waste high wall about half of it. The rest was a curtain. And we kept the curtain open because of the heat.

We have had elephants feed right in the camp.

Best of all, though, I have enjoyed all my hunts, no matter where they were.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always looking for adventures hunts. I like to find my own way and would love to hunt the most remote and wild areas. I don't need a proper camp, beer or special cuisine.
I would be quite nice to hunt on the fly and walk all day, set up a simple camp every day. I've done that before (not in africa) and really enjoyed it.
Unfortunatly those hunts are rare and expensive.
I understand that hunts like this are more expensive because the need more organisation but $30k is a lot of money and over my budget.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I am a lazy hunter. I was once paid to rough it in the field, so, now I prefer basic comforts.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:

dancing

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
The ultimate for me would be as remote and wild as possible. If this means no shower and no toilet, that is not a problem at all. Dig a hole and bring bar of soap and a bucket, problem solved. The second or third day without a shower is worse than the eighth. The real problem is the 30K Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Given the fact that I face a budget, I would prefer to hunt a huge wild area from a VERY basic camp. No point in spending money on luxuries when it can be dedicated to hunting! The best part of my life is that my wife sees things the same way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always try to keep an open mind when choosing a hunt of anykind. At 66 years of age and having hunted since age 15 I have hunted most all scenerios that the hunting
World provides. The main ingredient now is the hunt has to be FUN for me. I have done all the "have to do this" hunts many years ago and now go simply for the pleasure of the hunt. No more real goals, animal size is not much of a factor, no more putting up with hunting companions I really don't like, etc.

If I choose a fenced hunt in Africa, as long as it's a really large area, it's enjoyed to the max. I have no problem with this venue as opposed to some who feel they are above such places.

I like "Old Africa" types of settings for a hunt. Tented camps, wild, unfenced areas with lots of natural to the area game and good service and PH's just as well as the ones mentioned above.

Each type of hunt in Africa offers it's own unique experiences and quite frankly I enjoy them all. So all told, don't have a favorite type or one that fits somebody else with the "this way or no way" attitude. I do my research, determine if I will enjoy it and have FUN then determine to book it or not. This rule applies to all hunts by the way not just African ones.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love to do it the same way i do for my personal hunting here in wyoming.
no toilets,no showers,sleep on the ground
do my own cooking and firewood gathering.
solar electric fence keeps the grizzlies out of camp.
would it work for lions?
walk to hunt and move camp every couple days
vehicle use to transport supplies and move camp.
don't know how realistic it is and
not trying to be tough,would just be my dream

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like something between the fenced hunt and the "Old Africa", but don't have a problem with anyone choosing any of the three. As long as you enjoy the hunt!

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game) works for me. I can visit spas and stay in hotels at home.

A little roughing it adds to the adventure and experience. But ... I won't tell a lie - I do appreciate a toilet and shower. Heated water from a jerry can is fine but something is desirable.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as there is a shower I could get by anywhere in Africa for a few days. Beyond a few days I'm going to want laundry services, ice and a real bed. I did enough grubby DIY hunts in Alaska so that a more minimalistic safari like Scruffy did in Cameroon would hold no romance for me.

The "Classic" safai experince in my mind can be had in a very rudimentary camp if the clients are made to feel welcome and important. Clients can do without some luxuries if the camp ENVIROMENT is warm and friendly. The staff needs to consider the clients needs above all else whenever possible.

I've been in some really fancy camps where no expense was spared but the camp staff didn't have the right attitude so these I don't remember as the best camps. Some modest camps I've been in on the other hand were unquestionably the best because it was obvious the staff was there to make your time pleasant.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

any guided hunt is that way. That's what you get. They find the game, show it to you, pick one, and shoot it.
No value judgment, just how it is. It was that way half a century for Robert Ruark, it was that way a century ago for Teddy Roosevelt.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have hunted in all the above examples, so I am not sure where I fit in in the scheme of things.

In South Africa we hunted on farms, and lived in proper houses.

In Tanzania we hunted in tented camps, and have had lions watching us while having dinner...

In Zimbabwe we hunted from camps where one finds buffalo droppings by the fire in the morning...

Best of all, though, I have enjoyed all my hunts, no matter where they were.

+1...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Sounds like a great way to hunt....

As for the ready, willing and able - well the 30k would probably pull me up !!!

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break out the 4x4.let's break so brush. Give me a bucket in a tree I'll shower. Basic food is the best. bring on the warm beer and single malt in the evening. don't neeed ice or cold drinks. I own a 458 don't need no walls rotflmo I'm old so I walk slow but I love seeing new country. Don't need a permanent camp break out the tents. We can camp where we end the day. I have never had a chair as comfortible as a camp chair in the bush. If you have lived in the bush consider yourself blessed.I for one was blessed to have lived in the bush.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Grenadier,

any guided hunt is that way. That's what you get. They find the game, show it to you, pick one, and shoot it.
No value judgment, just how it is. It was that way half a century for Robert Ruark, it was that way a century ago for Teddy Roosevelt.

Rich

Very true! And they had their gin and tonic back then too! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I can't afford you base price of $30,000, but I will vote anyway. I wouldn't say my preference is a plains game hunt on farms in South Africa, but that is the limit of my budget. Come to think of it on the low fence deer leases in much of Texas the development and man made barriers (such as highways) restrict the animal movement (not that deer really move that far) more than many high fence places.

Ban high fence hunting in South Africa and you will limit African hunting to the wealthy.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier,

Ithink you'd be quite surprised how involved in the hunting you could become. Good PH's and trackers are all too wiling to have an interested client participate. Safari hunting is a team sport and I doubt seriously you'd feel like you were being dragged around by your nose.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Grenadier,

Ithink you'd be quite surprised how involved in the hunting you could become. Good PH's and trackers are all too wiling to have an interested client participate. Safari hunting is a team sport and I doubt seriously you'd feel like you were being dragged around by your nose.

Mark

I would add this: you learn things you never thought were possible. When you watch trackers track, you see things you didnt' think were possible. Back home, you become a better tracker.

The other thing you get is a hell of a lot of trigger on animals. There is no substitute for that.

And finally, let's face it: there are certain animals in Africa that are just fun to hunt; like no others.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've done No. 1 a couple of times, too, and enjoyed it but this is my favorite. It's why I'm saving up to return to Mozambique.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
I can't afford you base price of $30,000, but I will vote anyway. I wouldn't say my preference is a plains game hunt on farms in South Africa, but that is the limit of my budget. Come to think of it on the low fence deer leases in much of Texas the development and man made barriers (such as highways) restrict the animal movement (not that deer really move that far) more than many high fence places.

Ban high fence hunting in South Africa and you will limit African hunting to the wealthy.

+1. Hunting in Africa has been in incremental steps for me. I have spent enough with 4 hunts to go on a really nice Tanzania safari for one time but that is not the way I did it. Personally, I would now rather go on a true wilderness area hunt but that takes more money than I want to spend at this moment. I don't regret hunting in South Africa one bit and count my times there as some as the most enjoyable in my life.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would opt for option three because that is what Africa is all about for me.
quote:

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am a Option 3 kinda guy.

I even like to help cook.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you have a good african cook in camp stand back and watch him work!!!!!! it's amazing what they can do with so little. if no cook nyuma choma every day works for me. as long as I have marmite in the am with my chi Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:

To this I will add elephant rubbing on the tent while eating palm fronds at night. Lions roaring all night, and hearing the splashing of crocs in the river below our campfire while enjoying a few adult beverages (with ice of course) Wink

Doing everything I can to return.......

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I love camping out on wilderness hunts but certainly don't mind comfortable camps also.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier; Would you be so kind to expound a little on your African experience to date? Would be interesting to hear about the hunt that you experienced in Africa that lived up to your expressed expectations. Details please.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by RBHunt:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Grenadier,

Rich

Very true! And they had their gin and tonic back then too! Smiler

Coincidentally, I am currently reading African Game Trails, the story of TR's famous safari.

"Soon after lunch we drew up at the little station of Kapiti Plains, where our safari was awaiting us; '' safari"
being the term employed throughout East Africa to denote both the caravan with which one makes an expedition and
the expedition itself. Our aim being to cure and send home specimens of all the common big game in addition to as
large a series as possible of the small mammals and birds -it was necessary to carry an elaborate apparatus of
naturalists' supplies; we had brought with us, for instance, four tons of fine salt, as to cure the skins of the big beasts
is a herculean labor under the best conditions; we had hundreds of traps for the small creatures; many boxes
of shot-gun cartridges in addition to the ordinary rifle cartridges which alone would be necessary on a hunting
trip; and, in short, all the many impedimenta needed if scientific work is to be properly done under modern con-
ditions. Few laymen have any idea of the expense and pains which must be undergone in order to provide groups
of mounted big animals from far-off lands, such as we see in museums like the National Museum in Washington
and the American Museum of Natural History in New York. The modern naturalist must realize that in some of
its branches his profession, while more than ever a science, has also become an art. So our preparations were neces-
sarily on a very large scale; and as we drew up at the station the array of porters and of tents looked as if some small
military expedition was about to start. As a compliment, which I much appreciated, a large American flag was float-
ing over my own tent; and in the front line, flanking this tent on either hand, were other big tents for the members
of the party, with a dining tent and skinning tent; while behind were the tents of the two hundred porters, the gun-
bearers, the tent boys, the askaris or native soldiers, and the horse boys or saises. In front of the tents stood the
men in two lines; the first containing the fifteen askaris, the second the porters with their head men. The askaris
were uniformed, each in a red fez, a blue blouse, and white knickerbockers, and each carrying his rifle and belt. The
porters were chosen from several different tribes or races to minimize the danger of combination in the event of
mutiny."

Sorry, not my cup of tea.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I really prefer a wilderness type dangerous game hunt with tents. I've been fortunate to have wildlife around our tents on all 4 of my safaris, including last year in South Africa when we had lions roaring right outside our camp nearly every evening. We've had lions walk around our tents at night, as in less than 10 feet from the canvas, leopard tracks between the tent and the fire pit in the morning, and one time in Botswana, my camp attendant didn't want to go back after dropping off my morning hot water because an elephant was on the path between the tents. That's AFRICA, and for me an important part of what makes it so special.

I think nothing is better than a comfortable tented camp with some form of shower to return to at the end of a long, hard, strenuous day. As for food, as long as it is decently preparted I'm pretty easy to please. Give me some game meat and a few vegetables and I'm good to go, but variety is always nice.

After about a dozen hunts in Alaska, the Yukon and B.C. over the years, I don't really care how rought an African hunt is, they're all pretty luxurious compared to sleeping in a two man tent on a backpack sheep hunt in September. Of course, I no longer do backpack sheep hunts, having grown not only older, but I'd like to think wiser too!

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - Your question is a good one, but something I will say as a North American Hunter/Guide. Just as myself, alot but not all of the guys here on AR are from North America, and I think the majority of them that have spent a fair bit of time hunting throughout this continent too, would struggle to find even a difficult hunt in Africa, that would remotely compare to many of the hunts here. Having hunted most of the Canadian & Alaskan big game animals, including sheep, moose, brown bear and polar bear. Plus spending time during the last 15 years guiding sheep & Mtn Goat hunts here in the lower 48, along with a few elk hunts I've done personally, that were pure hell. I have yet to see a hunt in Africa even remotely close to as difficult physically or mentally, as these hunts. And that includes 8-10 hrs a day of tracking Giant Eland in CAR in 105 degree heat, or hrs of tracking elephant or buffalo! Yes, those hunts are a bit arduous, but for alot of the guys here in N.A., they're really pretty easy. Not to say that Africa doesn't have its difficulties, it certainly does, and I don't mean to down play those at all. But the rigors endured on a 7-14 day, packpack, sheep, brown bear or elk hunt, for example. When dealing with the elements, sleeping in pup tents, carrying a 60-70lb pack for days on end, and then if you are successful, having to pack out the game on YOUR OWN back, are 10 times harder than any African hunt that I have ever seen or heard of. 10 days without a shower, eating freeze dried food, walking/climbing mountains from 4-10 miles per day, with a heavy pack, in high altitude, can be common place on many hunts here in N.A. One African hunt that I DO NOT have personal experience with is Mtn. Nyala, although one of my best friends just shot one 2 days ago, and I am sure to get a full report when he returns, but this does seem to me that it could have its difficult moments.

Honestly for me, that's a big reason why I enjoy hunting Africa so much. I've done a bunch of these really difficult hunts here in N.A. over the past 15 yeas, including guiding for them alot too! Its great to go to Africa, still enjoy the wilds of places like Zambia, Botswana, Tanzania, etc, but yet still have a lot of the comforts of home that make it a really enjoyable time. Often times when I have been on those really difficult N.A. hunts, I would ask myself at the time, why the hell am I doing this to myself. Never once said that in Africa!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Steve - Your question is a good one, but something I will say as a North American Hunter/Guide. Just as myself, alot but not all of the guys here on AR are from North America, and I think the majority of them that have spent a fair bit of time hunting throughout this continent too, would struggle to find even a difficult hunt in Africa, that would remotely compare to many of the hunts here. Having hunted most of the Canadian & Alaskan big game animals, including sheep, moose, brown bear and polar bear. Plus spending time during the last 15 years guiding sheep & Mtn Goat hunts here in the lower 48, along with a few elk hunts I've done personally, that were pure hell. I have yet to see a hunt in Africa even remotely close to as difficult physically or mentally, as these hunts. And that includes 8-10 hrs a day of tracking Giant Eland in CAR in 105 degree heat, or hrs of tracking elephant or buffalo! Yes, those hunts are a bit arduous, but for alot of the guys here in N.A., they're really pretty easy. Not to say that Africa doesn't have its difficulties, it certainly does, and I don't mean to down play those at all. But the rigors endured on a 7-14 day, packpack, sheep, brown bear or elk hunt, for example. When dealing with the elements, sleeping in pup tents, carrying a 60-70lb pack for days on end, and then if you are successful, having to pack out the game on YOUR OWN back, are 10 times harder than any African hunt that I have ever seen or heard of. 10 days without a shower, eating freeze dried food, walking/climbing mountains from 4-10 miles per day, with a heavy pack, in high altitude, can be common place on many hunts here in N.A. One African hunt that I DO NOT have personal experience with is Mtn. Nyala, although one of my best friends just shot one 2 days ago, and I am sure to get a full report when he returns, but this does seem to me that it could have its difficult moments.

Honestly for me, that's a big reason why I enjoy hunting Africa so much. I've done a bunch of these really difficult hunts here in N.A. over the past 15 yeas, including guiding for them alot too! Its great to go to Africa, still enjoy the wilds of places like Zambia, Botswana, Tanzania, etc, but yet still have a lot of the comforts of home that make it a really enjoyable time. Often times when I have been on those really difficult N.A. hunts, I would ask myself at the time, why the hell am I doing this to myself. Never once said that in Africa!!!

Aaron,

Well said. Where were you when we had the big "how do I get in shape for Africa?" thread? I could not agree more. Hauling half your weight in moose, elk, or caribou is no picnic.

Grenadier: Hey, if it isn't for you, it isn't for you. Me, I like to hunt lots of places. Africa is one of them, but certainly not the only show in town. I am glad I have hunted in Africa, but it isn't my biggest priority in life.