THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Be honest, what kind of hunter are you?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be honest, what kind of hunter are you?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm,
i have devloped a likeing for it when I was living in the bush at Tsavo. and now I can only get it when I go back to africa have not been able to find a supplier here

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
break out thebeer even if warm after a day of hunting and scouting new country.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Nothin' wrong with marmite! Smiler

It surely beats the heck out of that Aussie vegemite stuff! Big Grin

Yep...best damn hemorrhoid medicine in the world!!! The jars are much better for dipping your hand into than Preparation-H containers. And if you die and they find it in your ass...they can't tellit from shit! Again animal!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Really and truly...compare the labels of Maramite, Vegemite, and Prepartion-H. No joke intended...very similar!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had $30,000 to spend on a hunt (which I don't, and am unlikely to have any time real soon!) I would definitely place my priority on a wilderness location with game as close to pre-colonial times as possible. I have only hunted in Africa twice, once in RSA and once in Namibia. The former was typical East Cape hunting out of a guest house on mostly high-fenced properties, the latter was on no-fenced or three-strand cattle-fenced land, out of a tent for part of it and out of a guest house for part. As others have said, even a wall tent with a hot shower is far more luxurious than the most of the hunts I have done here in North America (except for when I'm hunting near home.)

I admit I like having someone else to handle the cooking and skinning, ONLY because it frees up more of my time for hunting, but if I had $30,000, I assume I would be on a longer hunt and would not at all mind sharing those chores. I actually anjoy both very much. Plus, it's what I'm used to. A shower out of a bucket of luke-warm water is fine for me. One place we used to hunt elk our bathtub was a bend in a mountain trout stream, which made for rather cursory bathing!

The next time I go hunting in Africa, which I hope will be next year, I want to hunt out of a tented camp in something as close to wilderness as I can afford. Five-star amenities are something I really don't want in a hunting "camp."

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
ledvm,
i have devloped a likeing for it when I was living in the bush at Tsavo. and now I can only get it when I go back to africa have not been able to find a supplier here

http://www.marmitepantry.com/Marmite.html

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My dream hunt would be hunting the true wilderness with no fences anywhere, no need for showers or toilets. COld beer would be my idea of luxury

Having to work hard to skin / bring back my trophies is also a important part of a hunting trip. And I would love to be able to walk many miles each day . I have zero interest in Hunting from a truck

Unfortunatly, at 30 years old, even with a good job, I cant afford to hunt africa, even with the cheapest outfitter . I hope that when I turn 40 I will be able to celebrate this milestone in africa !

Posts: 12 | Location: Montreal, PQ | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too think Aaron hit the nail directly on the head. Most N.A. hunts are much more challenging pysically than any African hunt. I'm going back to the Selous this summer and the camp will be a very comfortable tented camp with lots of animals of various stripes about (or within), with a virtually endless shower at the end of the day, good food and ice in the drinks. I'm really going to enjoy those accomodations and the amenities and the staff; but there will also be lots and lots of tramping through true African wilderness after buff, tse tse flies to beat the band and in July very high grass.
Compared to the 12 days I spent in the Brooks Range last August/September chasing sheep and mt. grizz, getting rained and snowed on in a bivy 3 or 4 nights, a couple of sponge baths and a swim in the Ribdon River (not planned) and the table fare reduced to Mt. House Chili Mac, it will be truly luxurious, but they are very different experiences.
At the end of the day, it's all about truly experiencing what the wilderness has to offer in the most "traditional" way possible, with as little "buffer" as possible.
For me, the only things that are absolutely necessary are a warm, dry sleeping arrangement, protected to the extent practicable from the weather, access to some scotch after a long day amd a wau tp clean up after a few days (shower preferred but a pan of luke warm water will do) and enough food to sustain you; I would also say "good" food, but it's amazing what tastes like a bone in rib-eys after covering 15 miles of whatever country you find yourself in.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wilderness hunting is far and away the best, as far as I'm concerned.

But it's a mistake to think that one must be willing to suffer to hunt in the wilderness.

Not so. Planning and preparation are key.

I'm reminded here of what the self-made millionaire said about money: "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."

While hunting in the wild places of the world, I've been comfortable and I've been miserable.

Comfortable is better. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

But it's a mistake to think that one must be willing to suffer to hunt in the wilderness.

I'm reminded here of what the self-made millionaire said about money: "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better."

While hunting in the wild places of the world, I've been comfortable and I've been miserable.

Really, Mr has captured it.

And being uncomfortable in camp, eating crappy food, sleeping on hard ground or in a damp tent, smelling like a tracker doesn't make a hunt more physically challenging, it just makes the experience more miserable, or at least less pleasant than it has to be. You aren't hunting when you are in camp. Hunting hard, whether physically challenging or not, and returning to a decent camp doesn't detract from the hunt, or the experience. Rather, it adds to it, because you are more able the next day.

Even a fly camp can be minimal but still comfortable.

Often, it costs more to be comfortable, but not always.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jboutfishn,
Thank you your a great man even if you live in the arm pit of the world Big Grin Big Grin I was raised in Red bluff rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
Fences are definitely not my scene…

With that being said I’m the kind of hunter that likes to hunt and ultimately kill the wild animals that I’m after…

Despite my moniker I’m not a tape measure kind of guy; but a hunt without an animal in the bag is not the same to me…

Just being honest…

I can enjoy nature and “rough it” a hell of a lot cheaper without hunting; it’s called hiking…

Any luxuries that may be available are gladly accepted and any that aren’t are fine by me…

Whatever it takes…

Anything that legally increase my chances of success (or level of comfort) will be used and not forgone for the sake of roughing it…

So if an animal that I’m after is in area with no showers, toilet, or roads then that’s where I’m going…

Just my .02

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shakari: To answer your question: A damned good one! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

tu2

It has been said that: "only a green-horn roughs it!" Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Basically as long as it's in Africa, and the animal wasn't raised in a pen I'm happy with it. As long as I've got water to take care of my contacts or if I've got extended wear or I break down and get Lasik done, then it doesn't matter.

I've pretty much learned to adapt to it and enjoy it.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
jboutfishn,
Thank you your a great man even if you live in the arm pit of the world Big Grin Big Grin I was raised in Red bluff rotflmo rotflmo

Hook,

When you were in Tsavo I don't suppose you were with Marcus Russell, were you?

Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I stated in my earlier post I dont think it is about comfort or the lack there of. It isnt even about the price although that is certainly an important issue for many of us. What it is about is the experience and most importantly the hunting. A hunt is neither good nor bad based upon the physical challenge. It is about the remoteness to some extent. It is about the number and quality of the animals as well. What it really is about in my mind is the process of the hunt. Are you actally hunting or are you tagging along and shooting? Success is not measured by how many kills you rack up. Hunting is not necesarrily killing. Of course, the successful conclusion of a hunt is the harvest of your desired trophy. That said some of my most memorable and pleasurable hunts have concluded unsuccessfully. I want to enjoy the area, hunt, track, and shoot. If I wanted a resort type vacation I could go fishing. I am not quite sure where the 5 star thing and hunting got lumped together.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not quite sure where the 5 star thing and hunting got lumped together.

Amen to that Mike Smith

I do like to be able to cape out,gut,skin and cut up my own game animal,I dont need or want someone else to do it for me either.

For those that don't do any of this at all and cant do it I wonder how they would do on an unguided hunt some where in the world where it is allowed.

Hunting is hunting..not collecting and certainly not holidaying.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

Very much enjoyed the one breakfast in Dar. If I had $39k I'd hunt with you in a heart beat!

I've hunted from chalets in RSA and spent a night in a camp for locals there as well. Did you type 3 hunt in Tanzania.

Was simply amazing to hear lion breathing on the other side of the wall of the tent at night. Darned hyena make an amazing racket too. Very much enjoyed the Buf hunt there ... even though it was a discount hunt in a new area and we caught unusually late rains ... those are the memories of a life time.

Gettin' old any more and have to start a real exercise program if I am to go back at all.

Given what I can afford as an old retired guy, I'll probably never be able to afford another Buf hunt. Would love to do it again though ... best would be your type 3 endeavor!

Will do my walks, say my little prayers, and lift a glass of good single malt once in a while for you guys that help make those memories real for us! Keep up the good work Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
With due respect to everyone here - how many are equipped for a wilderness hunt?

In the other thread about what one carries on the belt, pack etc., I find no mention of anyone hunting for a full day on foot, let alone for a week on foot.

How many hunters know how to read topo maps, navigate with compass and use survival gear in the bush if you had to spend the night?

May be it should be another thread, but I do not want to offend anyone.... beer

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
With due respect to everyone here - how many are equipped for a wilderness hunt?

In the other thread about what one carries on the belt, pack etc., I find no mention of anyone hunting for a full day on foot, let alone for a week on foot.

How many hunters know how to read topo maps, navigate with compass and use survival gear in the bush if you had to spend the night?

There are a few (at least) here who have served and the skills you mention are never forgotten. The others? Who knows? You never find out how people will respond to hardship or danger until you actually put them in it. I've known complete Mummy's boys turn into rocks when the crack and thump starts and tough guys be completely useless.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That camp wouldnt look out of place anywhere gryphon. Matter of fact its almost identical to the one I set up. Handled the Territory buffalo hunt no probs last year. Been using same style of camp for 20 years.

Posts: 62 | Location: Crows Nest QLD. Australia | Registered: 22 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gryphon1:
quote:

Amen to that Mike Smith

I do like to be able to cape out,gut,skin and cut up my own game animal,I dont need or want someone else to do it for me either.

For those that don't do any of this at all and cant do it I wonder how they would do on an unguided hunt some where in the world where it is allowed.

The link between five star camp and safaris, top flight African hunting has been there for a generation and more. Time has morphed the definition of five star, in a top flight hotel in Paris, London or New York same as it has for a camp in the remote bush, but the link has been there as long as safaris. See for example Teddy Roosevelt's safari, or Raurk's, etc, etc, etc.

Mike Smith and you seem to try to make the point that comfortable camps, even five star camps and fantastic African hunting can't go together, but that just isn't so.

In fact, it is almost, not entirely, but almost the opposite in Africa. I am pretty confident that if you were to research the top flight wilderness area ourfitters, the top flight wilderness hunting areas, you will find, for the most part, top flight camps.

I am also confident that you will find correlation between second and third tier wilderness hunting areas and second and third tier camps.

Will there be exceptions, sure, always. And there will be times when it is wise to abandon, at least temporarily a five star camp for a fly camp to, say, cut down on drive distance to leave more hunting time, or to cut down on vehicle movement to avoid alerting game, especially elephant.

As far as wanting to do your own tracking, without the assistance of trackers and PH, have at it! Your hunt will be a frustrating, maybe unsatisfying, failure. Hell, the PH relies on the trackers and both PH's and trackers learned their skills over years of apprenticeship.

Just as a PH would struggle on an elk or grizzly or brown bear hunt, so would the most experienced North American hunter struggle on their African hunt. Learning the ways of the game you hunt is a big part of success. You can begin learning day one, to do that think of your PH as your mentor, you tutor, the journeyman from whom you learn. At home, maybe it was your father, or an uncle or friend who started you, maybe you started on your own, but it took more than week or three to learn the ropes, right? Those first few years weren't really hunting, eh? You were being led around, or foundering about on your own, eh?

You want to skin your game, have at it! No one is going to stop you, it is your trip! But at, say, $1000/day, maybe $2000/day, it is stupid! Your time is better spent hunting than skinning, and that is why there are skinners!

Now, it may be all part of the experience for you, skinning out some, even all of the animals you kill. I've pitched in to skin more than a few, some plains game and buff to learn of differences from our game here (answer: few until you get to thick skinned game like elephants), some elephants to accelerate the job's completion so I could get back to hunting, some because of the shear volume of work to do, like when we had two elephants down.

But realize, while the perogative is yours, most of the time choosing to skin, or to help skin, is less efficient all in. You are replacing a skinner who gets, even after gratuity, dollars a day with your own labor, your skinning labor is suplanting your hunting time at the cost of maybe $50 to $300/hour. That is stupid (unless the experience of doing it worth more than that $50 to $300 an hour, which it was for me for a couple of samples; pitching in on elephants is just cutting down the time the trackers, PH and truck are tied up in recovery, helping create more hunting time within the time frame of a safari.)

And none of these desires to track or to skin are in any way related to the comfort of the camp. The trip is yours to do as you wish, five star camp or one star dump.

BTW, I like your camp. Functional, efficient pretty comfortable for what it is. Africa is different in one critical way which makes five star camps feasible, and that difference is the cost of labor.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What the client and PH carry on their belts is not a valid question since they are but two of a team of at least four or five.

The PH's I have hunted with carry no more than I do, but with the addition of a GPS and compass, which I carried early on before realizing it was redundant and unessecary weight better left in the truck.

Besides the nav gear the PH is carrying, there are the two trackers and the game scout. They will often know the area, but even if they don't they will possess a sense of direction and inate navigation skills that are remarkable.

The trackers carry whatever else is nessecary, including water, meds, first aid kit, lighter, flashlight, TP, etc. I add some items, including some iodine water purification tablets since I fear that drinking water which suits the trackers, especially, and the PH might undue my guts.

Anywhere cow elephants are found water will be available should the group run low, the young can't go that far without it. Also, in my experience, the trackers and game scouts need less than 1/4 of what I need, the PH about 1/2.

A night spent in the bush during hunting season isn't the challenge that a night spent in the woods or marshes here during deer or duck season is. Temps are moderate. A rifle with ammo, a fire with some dry elephant dung to ward off the bugs. Going hungry a night or two might not be perfect, but it isn't a threat either. Even at that, there is more game available should the team need it.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps I should have defined the last option a bit better. (and will amend)

What I meant was:

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game).

The camp would have toilets and showers but few roads so a degree of bush bashing would be called for and probably lack a few nicities such as perimiter fences so an occasional visit from lions etc might not be out of the question. Some fly camping might also be expected. Food would be plentiful but fairly basic.

That interests me an and the last two hunts I've done were like that. Thse showers sucked, too. Didnt do any fly camping, but my buddy and his wife did.

The camp was basic and well run. Stayed warm at night and the food was pretty much whatever somebody killed that day or the day before, but lots of good, fresh vegetables and freshy baked bread. Laundry every day. They hauled in some champagne for Ed & Sandra and Red Bull at my request, since I don't drink. That's not exactly roughing it, but it had all the necessities but the damned showers just trickled water.

Been able to read a topo map and use a compass and navigate using DR and pilotage since I was a kid. I've never heard of a PH or his trackers getting lost and in my limited experience have never seen a PH with a GPS.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
respectfully but I don't think the question said on foot hunt. i believe it is more of a question of style in accoumadations. and accessiblity of the roads

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game). Food would be plentiful but fairly basic.

In a more basic camp, hunting in a massive true wilderness area where the hunt is as much of an adventure as it is a hunt? (for plains and dangerous game).

If the camp had toilets and showers that would be luxury. A degree of bush bashing and somne fly camping would be great.

I have done and enjoyed all three, but my favorite hunting locations involve being in the middle of the wilderness with only the amenities I can carry on my back, seeing remote and wild country and not knowing what is over the next hill. For me, hunting is a process and experience.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please tell me what kind of hunter you are. Do you want and are you willing and able to hunt Africa:

The camp would have toilets and showers but few roads so a degree of bush bashing would be called for.Smiler

ddrhook is right in his post, two prior to this one.

In addition, the original post was specific regarding African hunts.

Many seem to be going off track.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crooknees:
Been using same style of camp for 20 years.

And I for many years myself(40),it is a real good feel to be in such camps and I have always loved it.
No plaster walls for me when I`m hunting.

One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
You want to skin your game, have at it! No one is going to stop you, it is your trip! But at, say, $1000/day, maybe $2000/day, it is stupid! Your time is better spent hunting than skinning, and that is why there are skinners!

Stupid? Thats in your opinion of course,not mine JPK

The hunt is over for many when the shot is fired and they quit for the day and have no further part except for the bullshit around the fire...no way I`m gonna dig in and get my Green River skinner out of my day pack and ask the men "if i can join in". I have never skinned a Buffalo,how am I going to learn the best way if i dont ever do it.Watching is not the way.

I like many of us am a hands on fella but theres no way any skinner would lose a dollar if I was in there with them skinning my game,its all part of the experience for me and I would work in with the skinners,talk knives,talk methods maybe even learn something in return.

I would rather be doing that than being regaled by tales of 'derring do' of previous hunts over a beer,theres time for that later and do believe that mixing with the hands is all a real part of it...surprising I`m sure as to what one could learn from them...they are there because they are experts in their field and lets face it I can read and hear of all those wondrous hunt tales right here on AR.

One would learn far more and gain far more of the African experience (EG) by being in amongst the work crew, geezuz I would be happy to even swap a recipe or learn how the camp cook makes such fantastic bread....hands on and learn I say.

Having been a pro skinner in an abattoir its nothing much to peel a bit of hide or take the head skin off game..any knife cuts/slips are mine to blame.

Do the lot and I`m sure a person will come back out with a lot more and the bottom line?

"Knowledge is no weight to carry"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gryphon 1,

You fail to read the whole of the post. See below.

quote:
But realize, while the perogative is yours, most of the time choosing to skin, or to help skin, is less efficient all in. You are replacing a skinner who gets, even after gratuity, dollars a day with your own labor, your skinning labor is suplanting your hunting time at the cost of maybe $50 to $300/hour. That is stupid (unless the experience of doing it worth more than that $50 to $300 an hour, which it was for me for a couple of samples; pitching in on elephants is just cutting down the time the trackers, PH and truck are tied up in recovery, helping create more hunting time within the time frame of a safari.)

Now I too enjoy pitching in with the crew, but it will only go so far since some, maybe most of the crew in some camps in some areas, won't speak English. Others will be uncomfortable with the client around, whether the client is a good easy going fellow or a prick. Pass it off if you wish, but when you have had the opportunity to go and to spend some time in the unpopulated bush, you will see this as well. Only an oblivious or insensative fellow would miss it. Just beware when you impose yourself on them, it is unkind after a point.

But when it comes to trading expensive hunting time for cheap skinning time, yes, that is stupid after a sample or two. If you are half the skinner you claim, that sample will come quickly. After that you are wasting hunting time by not letting the skinner skin while you, the PH and trackers and game scout hunt.

Moreover, for most game shot through mid afternoon it isn't a question of shoot now, skin this evening after the hunt, it is question of shoot now, get it back to camp and skinned asap, washed and in the salt before the hair slips in 90* or so temps. When you skin and the sun is still up, you are wasting hunting time.

Some game is shot in the evening. Skinning it yourself, pitching in or just watching in the evening after sundown won't cut into your hunting time.But mind the admonition to watch imposing yourself on the staff beyond a point.

I would like to hear back from you after thirty or forty days in the bush combined, to see how long that desire to skin everthing you shot lasts. Not long I'd venture! Surely not through even one half of an elephant!

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

This a very common way to hunt here in the American west. We often hike in on foot and make a high camp...hunt from there for a few days to more than a week in country without roads or trails.

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer to put my money into hunting a wilderness area without the frills of a fancy camp. I don't have the money to go 5 star and would choose a hunt with the most bang for the buck. Gryphon I know where you are coming from with the do lots of the skinning etc. yourself as we mostly self guide ourselves Down Under. Crookknees and I were lucky enough to do a budget hunt in Zim and scored some fantastic trophy animals. The camp conditions were probably way below what are available on many of the hunts I see on this site but were great by our lowly standards. One thing we found was that the trackers/skinners didn't mind some interaction while skinning but it was obvious that they were uncomfortable if we outstayed our welcome. You just have to play it by ear.

Posts: 49 | Location: Casino, Australia | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remglenn:
I much prefer to put my money into hunting a wilderness area without the frills of a fancy camp. I don't have the money to go 5 star and would choose a hunt with the most bang for the buck. Gryphon I know where you are coming from with the do lots of the skinning etc. yourself as we mostly self guide ourselves Down Under. Crookknees and I were lucky enough to do a budget hunt in Zim and scored some fantastic trophy animals. The camp conditions were probably way below what are available on many of the hunts I see on this site but were great by our lowly standards. One thing we found was that the trackers/skinners didn't mind some interaction while skinning but it was obvious that they were uncomfortable if we outstayed our welcome. You just have to play it by ear.

That sums it up pretty well for me RG,like Frank its nice to do it my way.

JPK I did indeed read your whole post...nothing changes,some blokes cut it many dont!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. We went from fly camping to skinning and caping your own animals. I have caped about 5 sheep, as many caribou, skinned a griz myself, skinned several black bears, caped more than one whitetail, caped a red deer simply because my stalker had no idea how to do it, and help with a moose (big job). I am sure i am forgetting some, probably for good reason.

I don't care if I ever cape another animal. I would rather listen to a PHs stories around the campfire any day. Besides, IMO they talk mostly about sex, not hunting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gryphon1
posted Hide Post
Wow, and now we look like we are headed for sex talk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 pages of discussion on the topic is not bad even if we did digress. AAZWriter you have to have some sympathy for us poor Aussies we often lose something in the translation Smiler

Posts: 49 | Location: Casino, Australia | Registered: 16 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
quote:

Amen to that Mike Smith

The link between five star camp and safaris, top flight African hunting has been there for a generation and more. Time has morphed the definition of five star, in a top flight hotel in Paris, London or New York same as it has for a camp in the remote bush, but the link has been there as long as safaris. See for example Teddy Roosevelt's safari, or Raurk's, etc, etc, etc.

Mike Smith and you seem to try to make the point that comfortable camps, even five star camps and fantastic African hunting can't go together, but that just isn't so.

In fact, it is almost, not entirely, but almost the opposite in Africa. I am pretty confident that if you were to research the top flight wilderness area ourfitters, the top flight wilderness hunting areas, you will find, for the most part, top flight camps.

I am also confident that you will find correlation between second and third tier wilderness hunting areas and second and third tier camps.

Will there be exceptions, sure, always. And there will be times when it is wise to abandon, at least temporarily a five star camp for a fly camp to, say, cut down on drive distance to leave more hunting time, or to cut down on vehicle movement to avoid alerting game, especially elephant.

As far as wanting to do your own tracking, without the assistance of trackers and PH, have at it! Your hunt will be a frustrating, maybe unsatisfying, failure. Hell, the PH relies on the trackers and both PH's and trackers learned their skills over years of apprenticeship.

Just as a PH would struggle on an elk or grizzly or brown bear hunt, so would the most experienced North American hunter struggle on their African hunt. Learning the ways of the game you hunt is a big part of success. You can begin learning day one, to do that think of your PH as your mentor, you tutor, the journeyman from whom you learn. At home, maybe it was your father, or an uncle or friend who started you, maybe you started on your own, but it took more than week or three to learn the ropes, right? Those first few years weren't really hunting, eh? You were being led around, or foundering about on your own, eh?

Now, it may be all part of the experience for you, skinning out some, even all of the animals you kill. I've pitched in to skin more than a few, some plains game and buff to learn of differences from our game here (answer: few until you get to thick skinned game like elephants), some elephants to accelerate the job's completion so I could get back to hunting, some because of the shear volume of work to do, like when we had two elephants down.

And none of these desires to track or to skin are in any way related to the comfort of the camp. The trip is yours to do as you wish, five star camp or one star dump.

BTW, I like your camp. Functional, efficient pretty comfortable for what it is. Africa is different in one critical way which makes five star camps feasible, and that difference is the cost of labor.

JPK

JPK, I think you have misread me entirely. First I like my comfort as much as the next guy. A 5 star resort accomodation with swimming pool and all the extras just isnt necesarry to a good hunt. I enjoy good food however cooked, simple in the peasant tradition or the grand style of the gourmet. All of which can be done in a simple remote camp. I am not against nice camps I am against detracting from the experience of the hunt. I dont need s swimming pool in camp for any reason, unless we can get permision to turn it into a fish pond. Big Grin Shades of Beverly Hillbillys. I just dont see where the priority got put on the star rating of the camp rather than the hunting and the number and qualitaty of the animals. Comfort is fine, but should not get in the way of actuall hunting. what is important to me is to be in as much of an uspoiled and rugged/beautifull terrain. It dosnt mean it is so rugged I cant navigate it. I want the emphasys put on the hunting and the animals. I will pitch in and help as much or as little as needed. I will try to take it all in and learn from it. How things at camp are set up and built. How they deall with everday problems we just take for granted. How the cook works and with what tools. I will get the ph and the trackers to continually point things out to me and allow me to do the track until I cant or make a blunder. Then school is in and I learn what I missed and what it should have shown me. I often ask one of the phs to watch my shooting to see if I am doing something particularly counter-productive to firing a a clean well aimed shot that hits where you planned and preforms perfectly. I can skin with the best of them but dont typically. The boys can still do it better and faster than me but even more so it is their jobs. It is a source of pride as well as income for them. Dosnt mean I wont jump in and help if there is a lot to do. A good camp can very well be a five star resort. On the other side a very basic setup with minimal creature comforts can be just as good. Personally I prefer the most remote place I can get and afford. Remote neither is cheap nor does it mean ruff. My money needs to be spent to get me into the best hunting areas with the least amount of people. I will walk all day if I am enjoying the hunt. I gues my ramble here is to show we need to pay more attention to the hunting. The rest of it is just a bonus for those who want it.
It is about the ph and staff doing their jobs in a quiet professional manner that in turn allows you to concentrate on the hunt.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I have been on 2 safaris, 1 in Zim,1 in Nambia.
Both had comfortable camps (my wife was very happy with them).I hunt for the excitement,the thrill of not knowing each day what animals you will see. Once on stalk I am dedicated to go the distance over whatever the terain is to walk,crawl to shooting distance. To not pull the trigger until I feel I have a good kill shot.
Even though I am a senior, I never give up on each days hunt.
Bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
quote:

Amen to that Mike Smith

JPK

JPK, I think you have misread me entirely. First I like my comfort as much as the next guy. A 5 star resort accomodation with swimming pool and all the extras just isnt necesarry to a good hunt. I enjoy good food however cooked, simple in the peasant tradition or the grand style of the gourmet. All of which can be done in a simple remote camp. I am not against nice camps I am against detracting from the experience of the hunt. I dont need s swimming pool in camp for any reason, unless we can get permision to turn it into a fish pond. Big Grin Shades of Beverly Hillbillys. I just dont see where the priority got put on the star rating of the camp rather than the hunting and the number and qualitaty of the animals. Comfort is fine, but should not get in the way of actuall hunting. what is important to me is to be in as much of an uspoiled and rugged/beautifull terrain. It dosnt mean it is so rugged I cant navigate it. I want the emphasys put on the hunting and the animals. I will pitch in and help as much or as little as needed. I will try to take it all in and learn from it. How things at camp are set up and built. How they deall with everday problems we just take for granted. How the cook works and with what tools. I will get the ph and the trackers to continually point things out to me and allow me to do the track until I cant or make a blunder. Then school is in and I learn what I missed and what it should have shown me. I often ask one of the phs to watch my shooting to see if I am doing something particularly counter-productive to firing a a clean well aimed shot that hits where you planned and preforms perfectly. I can skin with the best of them but dont typically. The boys can still do it better and faster than me but even more so it is their jobs. It is a source of pride as well as income for them. Dosnt mean I wont jump in and help if there is a lot to do. A good camp can very well be a five star resort. On the other side a very basic setup with minimal creature comforts can be just as good. Personally I prefer the most remote place I can get and afford. Remote neither is cheap nor does it mean ruff. My money needs to be spent to get me into the best hunting areas with the least amount of people. I will walk all day if I am enjoying the hunt. I gues my ramble here is to show we need to pay more attention to the hunting. The rest of it is just a bonus for those who want it.
It is about the ph and staff doing their jobs in a quiet professional manner that in turn allows you to concentrate on the hunt.

Mike Smith,

Yes, it seems that we are "speaking past one another."

I assumed that you were speaking of wilderness camps as I understand them... Here in this post, and in the last post, you misunderstand "five star" in the wilderness bush, at least as I meant it.

A five star camp would be preferably trucked in and set up seasonally, but might be semi-permanent.

To me "five star" would be first rate tents with attached facilities which included flushing toilets and a decent sink with running hot and cold water (when I am there,) good linens, good beds, good misquito netting.

A good site for the camp, and a nice fire pit. Comfortable camp chairs that are NOT plastic.

The dining tent would include a nice dining room table, nice wooden chairs, and setting, preferably with a fresh white table cloth for each day. A full compliment of matching silverwear (four star minimum.) Five star and it would be silver and not stainless. A full compliment of matching glasswear (four star minimum,) five star and it will be chrystal.

Floor for the dining tent will be reed "carpeting" (four star minimum) five star would be rugs.

A full compliment of condiments, etc.

Plenty of reliable generator power, with the generator far enough away so that it is barely audible. Electric lighting in each tent and the dining tent, plenty of electric light at the skinning station. Enough refrigeration and ice making capacity to keep beer, sodas, drinking cold at all times.

Cleared, swept and lighted paths from dining tent and fire pit to each tent.

Daily laundry would be a given...

I could go on and on but rather than that, I would refer you to Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris and other high end wilderness outfitter's web sites. You might be amazed what some effort, planning and a whole lot of inexpensive African labor con do with a seasonal camp that is built prior to hunting season and then removed after each hunting season closes, or which has some foundations, but is built each season...

JPK

Free 500grains