THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    DSC Policy on Captive Bred Lion Hunting
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC Policy on Captive Bred Lion Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am sure some of you guys have already seen this but I just got this email:

http://dscnewscenter.org/2018/...e-bred-lion-hunting/

In a nutshell, they don't believe it is ethical or helps the wild lion population.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm. Wonder how many canned lions were sold at DSC last week?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I just got this in an e-mail, and support it 100 percent. Proud to be a DSC member.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16623 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good call

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Just another case of only time will tell.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

I bet a lot less than will be sold at SCI in a few weeks. Got to complete this inner circle jerks and big five awards don’t you know.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13386 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I just got this in an e-mail, and support it 100 percent. Proud to be a DSC member.

+1, kudos for DSC stepping up and taking a stand. I am reasonably confident SCI will not follow suit, preferring instead to firmly stand for nothing. Seems like SCI could at least weigh in one way or another, taking no position is the coward's way out . . .

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC also adopted the six year rule without a pride as a huntable lion.

Edited to show the correct age of the rule.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dallas Safari Club has a responsibility to support and encourage ethical hunting practices, even where ethical practices do not align with what is legally permitted – a principle that helps to define Dallas Safari Club.

This first concept is lost on too many hunters.

Good statement, and good decision.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
While operating the Lion Conservation Task Force, Inc. I wrote and got endorsed by all the scientific community the Definition of a Huntable Male Lion. I was able to convince DSC to adopt it and it has become the standard in the conservation minded hunting community. Even detractors admit the lion quality has proven its benefits.

I had many meetings with SCI and a myriad of correspondence about adoption of that standard to no avail. Thus Mike is likely correct.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
DSC also adopted the five year rule without a pride as a huntable lion.

It is a 6 year old standard.

The Definition of a Huntable Male Lion.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct. Thank you. It had been awhile sense I read the announcement in Sports Afield. I am under the impression SCI did not adopt/ support the rule.

Posts: 11976 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm: Not asking you to burn anyone with names. Buy what rational did SCI give you for rebutting the six year, prideless make rule?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Ledvm: Not asking you to burn anyone with names. Buy what rational did SCI give you for rebutting the six year, prideless make rule?

None. Actually...they always said they were strongly considering but still deliberating.

When they (SCI) did not endorse immediately after their convention the same year that DSC did...the scientific community became disenchanted. Support from them to not uplist waned, and the rest is history. The lion was uplisted to “threatened” and the import suspension ensued.

Had they (SCI) endorsed...the scientific community was going to lobby against the uplist and maybe the suspension might have never occurred.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My sense is that SCI doing a victory lap on the lifting of the elephant trophy import restrictions played a role in the fallout that resulted in the series of Trump tweets putting the lifting on hold. Would be ironic, but hardly surprising, to learn that the organization First for Hunters actually played an unintentional but key role in both the lion and elephant import restrictions. But all is not lost, we can still go for the canary grand slam and get a gold SCI ring. Tone deaf is the phrase that comes to mind.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My sense is that SCI doing a victory lap on the lifting of the elephant trophy import restrictions played a role in the fallout that resulted in the series of Trump tweets putting the lifting on hold. Would be ironic, but hardly surprising, to learn that the organization First for Hunters actually played an unintentional but key role in both the lion and elephant import restrictions. But all is not lost, we can still go for the canary grand slam and get a gold SCI ring. Tone deaf is the phrase that comes to mind.

Brother , you hit the nail on the head.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Terminator (MJ) speaks again! Wink

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:

Good point.

From the press release:

After a thorough analysis and deliberation, the Board of Dallas Safari Club has concluded that the practice of captive bred lion hunting is not a practice that is in keeping with its values of ethical and fair chase hunting. Therefore, Dallas Safari Club does not support the practice of captive bred lion hunting.

If Dallas Safari Club does not support captive bred lion "hunting", will it allow the sales of these "hunts" at its next convention?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t think they should “ban” exhibitors from selling them at the show. BUT DSC has made their stance and you can bet no funding will be approved for these practices AND in my opinion they should not accept any donated hunts of this nature.

My 2 cents.

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I don’t consider canned lion shooting hunting, I’m not so sure it has no positive impact on the wild. From my point of view, they are an ag product and should not be discussed as part of hunting, but I would encourage research into seeing if there is any positive wild impact to ranching them.

I suspect that the decreased cash value to poachers along with the ability to monitor the whole process through a department of Agriculture or similar might make them of some value. I agree there isn’t any proof of this available now, but it seems logical.

I will admit the only place I have been on that has done put and take lion didn’t leave me with any warm and fuzzy feeling, but then most cattle farms don’t either.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
From my point of view, they are an ag product and should not be discussed as part of hunting

100%

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ledvm: Thank you for ignoring my typos, and answering my question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I am sure some of you guys have already seen this but I just got this email:

http://dscnewscenter.org/2018/...e-bred-lion-hunting/

In a nutshell, they don't believe it is ethical or helps the wild lion population.

I agree with the decision but think the announcement should state why canned lion hunting doesn’t meet DSC’s ethical standards. A missed opportunity to get the message out about ethical hunting and the positive impact it has on wildlife conservation.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many on here believe that the anti's really discriminate between "Canned Hunts" and "Ethical" Free Range Hunts???

Anyone want to address that?

We know they do not differentiate, they want it ALL stopped.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
How obtuse can one person be . . . the fight is not to convert or convince anti-hunting groups of anything.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How obtuse can one person be . . .

Infinitely.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
How obtuse can one person be . . . the fight is not to convert or convince anti-hunting groups of anything.

You are kidding!

Do you think we would be in this if it was not for the bloody antis??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This is a very difficult subject. Lions are one thing, but do you remember the “Texas Three” that have basically been saved from extinction in their native habitat, they are alive and well here because of hunting.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
How sad!

Everyone is ganging up on the best way to guarantee the lions survival!

Making them valuable!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Texas Three”

Okay, I am 67 years old, born and raised in Texas, and I have never heard of the "Texas Three".

Can you please explain?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed as the old pop song here in America goes, "You Don't Know What You've Got Till Its Gone".

I fear some folks, in this case hunters are willingly blinding themselves to the reality of what is going to happen.

This will draw fire, but I fear "Hunters Ethics" are going to be a leading catalyst to bringing an end to hunting.

Just my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

You are kidding!

Do you think we would be in this if it was not for the bloody antis??

The point is that changing the minds of antis isn't going to happen no matter what you do, so you have to go where the decisions are actually made, and that's the people ambivalent about the subject. Like it or not, we hunt at the pleasure of the non-hunting public. Best to keep them on your side when things come to a head. And that means, as counter-intuitive as it sounds, being aware of how they perceive the actions of hunters. We can scream all day long that we have a right to do this or that, or "screw them," and that sounds good to us, and a lot of other hunters. But we, generally, already have their vote, so such language accomplishes nothing on the larger scale. Bear this in mind, hunting will be hammered by the initiative process, which allows fully uninformed people to exert their will on subjects they have no interest in or do not take part in, just see I-177 in Montana. Best to get ahead of things now, but I think the long term looks better for "them" than it does for "us."

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
“Texas Three”

Okay, I am 67 years old, born and raised in Texas, and I have never heard of the "Texas Three".

Can you please explain?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...ls-save-the-species/

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
quote:
How sad!

Making them valuable!

A farmer/rancher will develop grow and prosper with what the farmer/rancher can sell at market. If a commodity cannot be sold or has no value at market then it is just a weed or a nuisance and gets removed from the field or garden. That’s just what the farmer/rancher has to do to survive, they can’t afford to feed weeds.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 883 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Protecting our hunting rights in the US vs Africa are two vastly different subjects. As long as the rabid democrats do not take control of our government again, our hunting and gun rights will continue to be well protected - not that we should go to sleep all warm and fuzzy, but politics is our best protection here.

Africa however is a totally different animal. Decision makers are very susceptible to persuasion, pressure, and bribes. Look no further than Botswana as an example. Anti-hunting groups are working tirelessly to exert influence and pressure on Africa government officials to curtail hunting. They are persistent, well funded, politically connected, control and weld huge social media armies, and will stoop to any level including harassment and blatant bribery to achieve their goals. They will gleefully take any and all hunting rights folks are willing to give away as they march towards a total ban.

If organizations want to wage a feel good PR campaign that looks good to the masses, have at it. But don't get confused, it will have zero impact on protecting our hunting rights in Africa. (I sorta believe DSC, SCI, PHASA, etc all understand that)

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you please explain?

It is helpful if and when people remember that none of those three species are Native Texas Animals!

They are exotics and yes they were saved from extiction by the efforts of Texans.

However how many Hunters look down on high fence hunting operations in Texas and around the world?

What good will it do Hunters to have a species saved, only to have Hunters Black List them for shooting one of those animals inside a High Fence?

Our World, and I am talking about Hunters is changing and not for the better especially as far as Hunting/Hunters are concerned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How sad!

Making them valuable!

I couldn't agree more. I'm for the policy that results in the maximum number of lions, plain and simple. Captive breeding is good for lion numbers, not bad.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It’s a very slippery slope.

I agree with the analogy of captive bred lions as livestock. However, I used that argument against Texas Parks & Wildlife as a baby lawyer and lost. TP&W notified my client, a deer breeder, they were going to euthanize his herd because they denied his breeder license renewal.

My injunction was denied because the deer “belong to the people of Texas” under statute. I doubt citing that statute whenbeing charged a trophy fee will fly with an outfitter...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Marcus,
It is a slippery slope...100%

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My injunction was denied because the deer “belong to the people of Texas” under statute. I doubt citing that statute whenbeing charged a trophy fee will fly with an outfitter...

Wild whitetails/mule deer in Texas do "belong to the people of Texas".

Captive bred deer do not, they belong to the person running the operation. They keep the records and jump thru a bunch of hoops, such as removing any resident native deer BEFORE the operation begins.

When the high fence "Trophy" whitetail hunting got started, some folks fenced in their properties and trapped resident whitetails inside their fence.

That was where some of the problems came in. If I remember correctly before TP&W would issue a "Breeders License" thev property had to be inspected by TP&W biologist to make sure no Native/Wild Bred whitetails were trapped inside the fence.