New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best eating african game.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tommy Chops, Buff, Eland, and Albert's Buff heart with gravy over Sudza..It's all so good..

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
eland ,kudu tonges,impala ,buffalo loins .But one of the best meats in the world is water buffalo.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only experience of Africa is the written word, but many of the old hunters loved giraffe. Does no one today like this meat?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite will be my "next" meal in the bush,,,,,I do like Eland and gemsbok really well,,,, someone mentioned giraffe,,, the worst I ever ate was a steak off an old stink bull,,, the younger ones have been quite good however. 2014 seems just so far away to wait for that next African dinner feast....

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
White stork

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvh40:
Porcupine ribs Mmmmmm lol

You must get someone to pickle then smoke a porcupine, especially a fat bastard caught in the sweet potatoes or pumpkins. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
White stork

Wouldn't that be a form of abortion? dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have eaten most all of what has been mentioned and without a doubt, my personal favorite is giraffe.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best I've had was a bush lunch of Hartebeest filets. Very tender and flavorful.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland,buffalo,reedbuck.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Eland, impala backstrap, Kudu biltong.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
White stork

Wouldn't that be a form of abortion? dancing

Eat first, decide later.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Duiker was my favorite, it was served as an appetizer one night.

One of the other meals that really stuck out in my mind from my trip was sable lasagna. The lasagna was great, but combine that with the fact that it was cooked all day buried in a pit in the ground with hot coals in a fly camp ... made it all that much better.

Some pretty amazing stuff comes out of a pretty basic "kitchen."

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all good. I'd rate Eland, Kudu, Springbok, & Impala at the top, buffalo (ox tail soup). Zebra isn't bad, but you have to get rid of the fat. Only giraffe I've eaten is what they called (in Namibia) chili bits -- diced biltong soaked in peri peri sauce. Wasn't bad. took the place of nuts at the bar.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerenuk - awesome backstraps
Warthog
Buff tongue

I Want More!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lion backstraps are surprisingly light and delicately flavoured.

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
My wife and I loved the "oxtail soup" we had from my Cape buffalo, but was it the best? Hard to say, since the best spaghetti with meat sauce either of us had ever eaten used ground Impala meat. Absolutely fantastic! Smiler

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote for Kudu tenderloin.

I had Hippo in the Zambezi Delta, our PH had stepped in to help the cook and used a small very sharp knife to remove all tendon and other not good stuff. The meat was tender and very good.
Sitting in camp on the river bank, watching the crocs on the far bank. The Blacks singing, laughing and happy because everyone eats their fill that night. How could it not be an excellent meal.

I was surprised when the Hippo was butchered it had no fat on it.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Without a doubt, springbok filets. three times as good as eland tenderloin and I thought, when I first ate Eland, it was the best meat I had ever put in my mouth. Pieter, You must have a better cook/recipe than when I tried Zebra. I am not trying to argue with you but that is the nastiest meat I have ever been fed in Africa. What is the secret because I want another one and I want to prove ME wrong.

No problem. Remove all traces of fat. Rub it with olive oil, add spices and sear it pretty good. Cut it in slices without severing and pour a black pepper sauce over it. Stick it in the oven for 20 minutes and there you go.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Duiker was my favorite, it was served as an appetizer one night.

A little blue duiker, skinned, gutted and jointed, braised in a big black cast iron pot of NON PC name, filled with potatoes, onions and any other vege's at hand, left to simmer on the edge of a fire all day. Damn! There will be need to fetch a 12 guage in order to keep the other buggers away from the pot. The other great delight is to take the femurs of any of the big animals, cut them in half and stand them open end up in the dying coals of a fire for twenty to thirty minutes, or until firmish. Knock the marrow out onto fresh bread, a dash of salt and pepper, and listen to your arteries gently closing. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
My favorite is fried Gemsbok filet.

I second gemsbok fillet, especially as cooked by Mariesje du Plessis at Sebra Safaris in Namibia. Served with a cold Taffel beer around a campfire, it can't be beat.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
quote:
Originally posted by cjfoster:
My favorite is fried Gemsbok filet.

I second gemsbok fillet, especially as cooked by Mariesje du Plessis at Sebra Safaris in Namibia. Served with a cold Taffel beer around a campfire, it can't be beat.

I gotta go with the gemsbok filets too - after the ladies left,,,,, we'd look at each other "got any gemsbok filets left?"

IF no, then somehow he had a gemsbok shortly appear that required immediate culling. Marinate all afternoon in olive oil and garlic, medium rare over hot fire, cold beer in hand.

Man food.

Although, the mountain zebra filets were pretty good too!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The meat I like best of all African game is Zebra! I taste almost exactly American Elk, one of my favorite wild game meats!

The one thing I have never eaten is biltong! There is something about meat drying with flies crawling around on it that simply gags me! barf

Now smoked meat is another thing, and is simply the same meat but placed on racks above mopani coals for a day or so!
.......................................................................................... Big Grin tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I agree--while not my fav...it is up there...Everyone in camp always gives me greif because I ask for it at least one night.

Here is a nice Zebra steak done in a "Cowboy wok" with spices and a little butter--nice---

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best I had was Leg of Springbok that had been marinated in yogurt all day.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe tail is the bomb!

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warthog tenderloin
Eland tenderloin
Nyala tenderloin
or...
Whatever winds up on the plate when I'm hungry!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain reedbuck and Fallow Deer are my favorites.

One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
Any Poaching meat!!!! specially when you are not caught, wow!!! what a taste!!! even CHICKEN of neibhours

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scriptus:
The other great delight is to take the femurs of any of the big animals, cut them in half and stand them open end up in the dying coals of a fire for twenty to thirty minutes, or until firmish. Knock the marrow out onto fresh bread, a dash of salt and pepper, and listen to your arteries gently closing. Roll Eyes

Damn, I'd love to try that. tu2

You are a man of class and I'd eat in your camp anyday...Big Grin

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gerenuk has to be the best, the little guys feed solely on Acacia shoots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tastiest game steak I ever had was eland at The Butcher Shop in Joburg (Stanton). As soon as I got home I went to Texas & shot an eland cow & brought most of the meat home (the rest went to a food bank). Good, but African eland was tastier. The tongue from the kudu my wife shot in the Bubye was outstanding. I cannot wait to try buff tongue, hopefully I will in July. Also, I don't know why, but US alligator is much tastier than African crocodile, IMO.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
What is my favorite African meat? Whatever I shot yesterday!
Mrs Blacktailer would vote for "her" bushbuck.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
Plenty to still try but of what I have eaten I enjoyed Eland by far the most. Ostrich a close second.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its all good. Favorites are
Gemsbok
Eland
Impala
Wildebeast
Buff

N. America
Moose
Wild Sheep
Elk
Deer

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that bushbuck was outstanding. Might not be the best as I haven't tasted everything, but I prefer it to impala which isn't bad. I just shot a cow elk that is probably better than any other wild meat I've ever had. Doesn't need any special marinates or onions, it's great just plain, better than beef.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the "best" I have ever had was a young impala ram that I shot by mistake due to a communication problem between my British/African PH and me concerning whether facing to the left meant my left or the animal's left. I took a lot of grief and the staff reminded me with every apetizer and steak that it was very tender. But it was also very good eating.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote