New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best eating african game.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wonder what you guys think is the best tasting african game?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
IMHO on the BBQ, Eland. Had some summer sausage made from Gemsbok, a little greasy, great flavor.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Eland.
Buffalo.
Sable.
All plains game.

I love eating them all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
Zebra tender loins without doubt.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything Henock, the chef at Hunters Namibia cooks.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, springbok filets. three times as good as eland tenderloin and I thought, when I first ate Eland, it was the best meat I had ever put in my mouth. Pieter, You must have a better cook/recipe than when I tried Zebra. I am not trying to argue with you but that is the nastiest meat I have ever been fed in Africa. What is the secret because I want another one and I want to prove ME wrong.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bushbuck
Reedbuck
Gerenuk
Dik-Dik

The 4 K's Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pieter Kriel:
Zebra tender loins without doubt.

+1 with eland close behind, kudo gemsbock springbock all close

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hows elephant and hippo?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Eland is great, but after eating it for nearly everyday for almost 10 days in Namibia in 2007, it got boring. My favorite it gemsbok filet. Mountain zebra is pretty good as well.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite is fried Gemsbok filet.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the best one is the one on the plate ie. there all good Big Grin tommy chops

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't believe Hook didn't say bushpig!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have not eaten any African game yet but I have eaten a lot of game in India and in NZ.

After around 40 years of eating game, I have come to the conclusion that the taste of the meal depends on the following - in order

1. How the animal was killed - quickly & well bled etc.
2. How it was cooked - good meat can be ruined by a bad cook!
3. Age, cut etc of the animal - old bulls taste like old bulls IMO - even if cooked well
4. What the animal has been eating, season etc. Animals shot during drought and under stress do not tase as good as that shot when there is good feed.
5. Individual taste - I could never get myself to eat monkey (Black langur) in India though my friends raved about it. But I found the palm civet one of the tastiest meats ever.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11210 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok was great. Zebra was nothing to sneeze at either pounded thin and done as schnitzle (aka chicken fry)

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Gemsbok!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
All the game I killed in Namibia and South Africa was excellent table fare. The best I had was a springbok backstrap roasted over the coals with a cold Tafel. Second up was mountain zebra.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Eland T-bone steak for me!!

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spit braai of warthog that I hunted myselfSmiler Everyone loved it, next time they wanted a whole springbuck.

But I think my favorite is Eland!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
Can't believe Hook didn't say bushpig!

I say, a bit cannibalistic eating that which you love. I do not think that even Hook would stoop that low. Big Grin

Svinejakt, please take that picture off, it is going to break poor little Hook's heart. CRYBABY

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sjb
posted Hide Post
Another vote for warthog, totally amazing taste. Wife loved it as well!!!

Posts: 218 | Location: NSW , Australia | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Svinejakt, det så gøtt ut Smiler

Torbjorn

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IH
posted Hide Post
As far as my experience is concerned (35 years experience), I will go for Impala, Kudu and E land, keep in mind only BBQ is the only recipe to cook hunt meat, anything other than BBQ will ruin the taste.

In sub-continent like India and in Pakistan, the most favorite use of hunt meat in antelope family is SHAMI KEBAB, KOFTAY (meat ball with gravy) and BBQ at hunting spot, if someone need recipe, I would love to share, but ingredients must be available with you before going to start to cook.

Posts: 192 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 14 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best and worst venison I have eaten in Africa is the Mt Reedbuck. Like others have said it is in the handling of the animial and the prepration of the animal. Second was fresh liver from a Bushbuck. Grysbok soup is excellent.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
On my first safari my favorite meal was Gemsbok stew. As far as pure meat the eland steaks were awsome.
On the last one it was a dead tie between Nyala and Klipspringer.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any meat you do on a bushveld fire with ironwood with good friends and clients with a cold beer in your hand after a great hunt

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Torbjørn:
Svinejakt, det så gøtt ut Smiler

Torbjorn

Det var nydelig. Ute på en farm hos gode venner, kald pils og sola midt i trynetWink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjb:
Another vote for warthog, totally amazing taste. Wife loved it as well!!!

The guy who did the spit braai injected buttermilk first, then orange juice and put holes which he stuffed with bacon. Pig in pig. When on the spit he basted with his secret recipe sauce. Everyone loved it Smiler

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Best = Lamped [or one eyed dog hunted] out of season on property with no permission to hunt.

Second = Daylight shot from vehicle out of season on property with no permission to hunt on

Still just edible = Hunted on foot in season with license and permission to hunt on property.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best meat I ate was after I got my elephant, my dad and I went over where all the camp staff were living,and sat down with them and ate elephant meat,all from the same frying pan,no untisels,or plates. were they ever shocked. But was it good.

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Eland, buffalo and bushbuck for me!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
1)Eland
2)Impala

Hamdeni

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've had a bad meal in Africa (OK, I wasn't crazy about buffalo nuts) but the hartebeest lasagna I had in the Kalahari was likely the best meal I've tasted anywhere.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have not eaten hippo yet, Steel. As for elephant, had a stew of elephant tail the night I shot it. Was tasty if a bit chewy.

If you've cooked or looked closely at a pot roast of beef, you see that the meat fibers separate in that way of cooking. The elephant stew did the same thing and I noted that the fibers are two or three times bigger than beef fibers. Next day we were back at the site and the slaughter team from the neighboring village was still at it. They'd grilled some of the meat and it was delicious, much as young Joe recounts above.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best seems to be whatever comes out of the kitchen at the end of a long day. Honestly, can anyone tell the antelopes apart on the plate if the meat has been properly handled? I thought sitatunga had a unique flavour, but all the rest have just been variations on GOOD.

Dean

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, Duke of York

Posts: 876 | Location: Halkirk Ab | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Eland t-bones, buffalo filets, hippo is good as well.

All served with fried eggs, chips, and salad, of course.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't claim very broad experience, but far and away eland is the best meat I have ever eaten. I would take that over cow elk, the best beef or anything else. I had Mountain Zebra tenderloins over a camelthorn fire in Namibia, which was also quite good. The biggest surprise, though, was the liver from my bushbuck in the Save in 2011. Liver is the only food of any sort I can't eat (and I have eaten some pretty strange stuff over the years.) Literally makes me gag. But as we were sitting around the fire with beer and snacks a couple days after I shot my bushbuck I was offered breaded fried strips of its liver. I have always tried whatever is offered me (hence, the "strange stuff".) It was really quite good! I wouldn't hesitate to eat it again.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Hard to say.

I enjoyed it all.

The wildebeest we had was awesome, surprised no one mentioned it.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
Porcupine ribs Mmmmmm lol

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fvh40:
Porcupine ribs Mmmmmm lol

The old timers always said that if you were lost in the woods you could eat a porky to keep from starving-- though you might prefer starvation.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote