New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Ele. Hunts being offered??
 Login/Join

<Boone & Crockett>
posted
Seems like now is the time to get a Ele hunt lined up. If anyone has heard of or are offering any specials please let me know as I would be very interested in hearing more about it. Thanks and good hunting this year to all.

Boone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been with terry anders in zim this past week and i know he just added a couple of areas, contracts are being prepared as we speak. Check with Mark Young here on AR, I am sure he will have word soon. Terry will have more on quota than he has currently sold.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Good friend of mine just booked with Terry through Mark. Very excited for him.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
<Boone & Crockett>
posted
At this point I'm weighing going to Moz. for a big tusker but it being non-importable or heading into Zim and having to give on size, but fully exportable. Just don't know yet...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on several of the newer properties with Terry this week, things look very good particularly for ele and buff. Your friend will surely have a good hunt.

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boone & Crockett:
At this point I'm weighing going to Moz. for a big tusker but it being non-importable or heading into Zim and having to give on size, but fully exportable. Just don't know yet...

Don't think you have to give up on size by going to Zim, there are some excellent areas that have produced multiple bulls over 70 lbs recently!

What year are you looking at going?

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
You want big long ivory? Then Tanzania is the place to go and get some long stuff. The price will be right also.
No deals for premium stuff that dreams are made of.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
Mike......I wish I could agree with you. PLEASE convince me I am wrong. But, could you just loan me about 80K, You know I am good for it! ..........Then I will be off to Tanz. I would love to have some of the l-o-n-g, slender, and well colored up ivory. It would go well with my Bots white gold!
But there is NO WAY those prices are affordable to the great lot of us regular worker bees.
Again........you KNOW I love ya'. Convince me otherwise, AND put that check in the mail.

By the way - Just Because I Cannot Afford it, Does not mean - It is Not Worth It Man I cannot think of a better way to spend your $$$ than on Tanzanian Ivory.

p.s. Please DO NOT forward this thread to my wife......and please DO NOT tell your wife you are putting that check in the mail. Later.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:
I have been with terry anders in zim this past week and i know he just added a couple of areas, contracts are being prepared as we speak. Check with Mark Young here on AR, I am sure he will have word soon. Terry will have more on quota than he has currently sold.

What part of Zimbabwe were you in?

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you checked the prices on that non-importable ivory from Moz.? Has to be the most expensive ele hunts on the continent once you get into the big stuff.

Lot's of heavy ivory coming out of Zim at a fraction of the cost and you get to take it home. Unless you live down under!

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcolyer:
Mike......I wish I could agree with you. PLEASE convince me I am wrong. But, could you just loan me about 80K, You know I am good for it! ..........Then I will be off to Tanz. I would love to have some of the l-o-n-g, slender, and well colored up ivory. It would go well with my Bots white gold!
But there is NO WAY those prices are affordable to the great lot of us regular worker bees.
Again........you KNOW I love ya'. Convince me otherwise, AND put that check in the mail.

By the way - Just Because I Cannot Afford it, Does not mean - It is Not Worth It Man I cannot think of a better way to spend your $$$ than on Tanzanian Ivory.

p.s. Please DO NOT forward this thread to my wife......and please DO NOT tell your wife you are putting that check in the mail. Later.

I have to agree here! To do just a elephant in Tanzania 16 day at $1800 a day plus (and that is a friend deal) 2,000 to 4,000 for air charter + trophy fee what around 12,000+ 5,000 in gov fees, and that is all you take= $49,800--- Zim looks pretty good.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems like now is the time to get a Ele hunt lined up. If anyone has heard of or are offering any specials please let me know as I would be very interested in hearing more about it. Thanks and good hunting this year to all.

Boone

Check in with Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris. He is in Namibia and there are some big Tuskers that wander over from Bots to pay him a visit.

Click here for his website

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
quote:
Originally posted by brent ebeling:

What part of Zimbabwe were you in?

We were north of hwange park, some places border the park and or ngamo.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but Karl may be all sold out on Ele for 2013. We've got two bulls on quota in June with him that we booked last year and I think he only had one remaining for 2013 at that time. Could have got a couple more I suppose.

Welcome to AR. There is a lot of experience here that can be shared with you.

Specials on Ele in February? You might be about 8 months early in looking for specials and 4 months late in planning ahead for where, when and with whom you want to hunt Ele.

In any event, I wish you soft earth and oncoming winds while tracking Ele; best of luck in your quest for a tusker. wave

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
505 for charters that expensive the safari company is not doing you a service. My flight was for $1450 as I flew in you flew out.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
B&C Gordon Duncan has some early season elephant hunt packages.

10-day Elephant Bull hunt:

- Daily rate
- Trophy fee for one Elephant Bull
- One free observer
- Road transfers
- CITES Tag
- Govt Taxes
- No Hidden Extras

Price: 18.000 U$

See here: Doma Ele hunt Package

FWIW there is a well documented Doma Ele hunt with Gordon Duncan on You Tube:

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Hi
Before we hard sell you , just a few comments,

Elephant hunting is very much a pay for what you get experience, and there are many reasons for this .
Firstly the Ivory has value which is around $400-00 a pound now for under 75 pound ivory and this increases over 100 pounds.
Secondly elephant hunting requires large estates with large populations and elephant need a lot of time to grow ivory. securing these areas requires a lot of capital expenditure which is recovered from the hunter.
Low price hunts can often be attributed to the quick in and outer.
Thirdly this is the pinnacle of all hunting - it is the largest land mammal and falls into the dangerous game category.

A rough guide for elephant hunting is $1000-00 per pound , so a 50 pound elephant is going to cost you $50 000-00 once all is said and done - flights , hunt , tips etc - not dip pack and ship.

So where to hunt - On average :
In Tanzania you get the long tusks - the sexy tusks as I like to call them.
In Botswana you get the thick heavy tusks;
In Zim the national average is below 45 pounds but there are exceptions.
In Namibia - the only big elephant have come out of Botswana at some stage , but the Caprivi offers good representative specimens.
In Zambia it is the cross section of Zim and Bots.
In Mozambique in the North there are fantastic elephant in the Niassa, but very limited in number and you cannot import into the USA.
In the South west you may get Kruger Park Genes.
Inn Central North Africa you start getting the dwarf or forrest elephant - again Cities restrictions.

Zambia and Botswana are in the process of closing elephant hunting and with Botswana taking over 400 trophy bulls a year of the market ,the future of elephant hunting is heading towards becoming a very costly endeavour. So time wise 2013 may just be the best time to get your elephant trophy at a reasonable price.

In Botswana most of the tags are sold out and a few Government Dispensation tags may remain, these are Tags sold by the Government in special areas and community areas. These hunts sell on Government auction and are outfitted by Botswana companies. The price ranges from $40 000-00 in the eastern areas to $65 000-00 for the Okavango floodwater areas. we are accepting bookings for both of these areas on a 10 day hunt.

If there is anything we can help you with please send us a email on saf.bots@info.bw

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana

One of the exceptions, and I can think of a few more: http://www.zambezihunters.com/...ies/e-l-e-p-h-a-n-t/

'Zambezi Hunters recently won the tender to continue hunting the Mahenye elephant concession adjacent to Gonarezhou National Park. We are very excited to continue operating in this area which has produced six elephant bulls over 70lbs in the last five years and averaged 58lb ivory over the 23 elephant that have been shot there.'

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
505 for charters that expensive the safari company is not doing you a service. My flight was for $1450 as I flew in you flew out.

Mike

Depends on whre you are going and if you can tag on someone else charter in and out...So it is$45,000 still cheaper than Botswana---but if you shoot a monster in Tanz...then sliding scale...ouch...Mike I am a working man, I would love to hunt Tanzania. I even have a good friend Paddy "Blood" Curtis that hunts there with Luke Samaras...it is expensive...not saying it is not worth it...just expensive! I do not have the 20 days to take off, nor the $60,000 to drop at one time...so for right now ...it is South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe for me...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
<Boone & Crockett>
posted
Thanks for all the PM's and info that all of you have offered.

We are heading over in 2 months for a cat hunt and am thinking this fall or next June/July for the Ele.

I would LOVE to hunt Tan. but that isn't a realisitc goal for me. I will have to stick to Zim or Moz. (even though it would non-imp).

For those that have sent PM's, thank you and I will be replying shortly. Thanks again to all and Straight Shootin' this year...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go to zim where you can export those tusk. Anyone that has the honor to take a bull ele should bring them home. Just my opinion.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safaris Botswana Bound:

I intend to start working on upping that average next week. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi
Before we hard sell you , just a few comments,

Elephant hunting is very much a pay for what you get experience, and there are many reasons for this .
Firstly the Ivory has value which is around $400-00 a pound now for under 75 pound ivory and this increases over 100 pounds.
Secondly elephant hunting requires large estates with large populations and elephant need a lot of time to grow ivory. securing these areas requires a lot of capital expenditure which is recovered from the hunter.
Low price hunts can often be attributed to the quick in and outer.
Thirdly this is the pinnacle of all hunting - it is the largest land mammal and falls into the dangerous game category.

A rough guide for elephant hunting is $1000-00 per pound , so a 50 pound elephant is going to cost you $50 000-00 once all is said and done - flights , hunt , tips etc - not dip pack and ship.

So where to hunt - On average :
In Tanzania you get the long tusks - the sexy tusks as I like to call them.
In Botswana you get the thick heavy tusks;
In Namibia - the only big elephant have come out of Botswana at some stage , but the Caprivi offers good representative specimens.
In Zambia it is the cross section of Zim and Bots.
In Mozambique in the North there are fantastic elephant in the Niassa, but very limited in number and you cannot import into the USA.
In the South west you may get Kruger Park Genes.
Inn Central North Africa you start getting the dwarf or forrest elephant - again Cities restrictions.

Zambia and Botswana are in the process of closing elephant hunting and with Botswana taking over 400 trophy bulls a year of the market ,the future of elephant hunting is heading towards becoming a very costly endeavour. So time wise 2013 may just be the best time to get your elephant trophy at a reasonable price.

In Botswana most of the tags are sold out and a few Government Dispensation tags may remain, these are Tags sold by the Government in special areas and community areas. These hunts sell on Government auction and are outfitted by Botswana companies. The price ranges from $40 000-00 in the eastern areas to $65 000-00 for the Okavango floodwater areas. we are accepting bookings for both of these areas on a 10 day hunt.

If there is anything we can help you with please send us a email on saf.bots@info.bw

Good post.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
Mike ,
Good luck and hoping you take a big bull, if it's your first , you are about to become an addict because if hunting is a drug , elephant hunting is the heroin of hunting.
Elephant hunting is a real value investment it's one of many of the African trophies that have a real value, at $400 a pound even a 40 pound elephants trophy fee is covered in the investment at $16000-00 a tusk or $32000 for both. Your kids will love you for increasing the value of their inheritance !!!!!! What more reason do you need to go hunting ???

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Imported sport hunted Ivory cannot be sold in the U.S., so in essence, it has no monetary value here.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike ,
G
Elephant hunting is a real value investment it's one of many of the African trophies that have a real value, at $400 a pound even a 40 pound elephants trophy fee is covered in the investment at $16000-00 a tusk or $32000 for both.

Can legally taken be sold? If so who would be best to arrange through in Africa?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lolli Bros in Macon Missouri has taxidermy sales 3-4 times a year. Often they have estate ivory there. The last time I went was a couple of years ago and 40-60 lb tusks sold for around $130 per pound. 30lb ivory that was cracked sold around $110 if I remember correct. I just checked and they have 2 sets of tusks for sale at the next auction.

There is usually an ad in Safari Club at the back for an ivory buyer. I don't know what he buys for now. I called him to get an idea of value for insurance 5-10 years ago and I want to say he was offering around $120 per pound then.

The ivory has got to be documented by the seller for either of them to be involved with it.

The $400 per pound must be a price that legal ivory is bought for in africa.

I don't know what the laws are in the U.S. now but from what I have been told if it is documented or if a seller signs that it was taken legally it is okay.

If this only applies to ivory taken and brought in before 1989 I would be interested in knowing. If it applies to ivory taken by a sport hunter after 1989, I would like to know as well since I have an elephant hunt booked for 2014.

It seems that if a person dies and the kids don't want the ivory there has got to be some way to legally dispose of it. Hopefully as a nice investment for the estate.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi B/C

I have a single ele bull left for 2013 due to a postponement . Its in the whole of the Dande North/East and is priced at the below. Let me know if you are interested. Preferred dates are 14-26th August with PH Alan Shearing who was scheduled to do the hunt before it was moved to 2014. Cheers Buzz

14 DAYS TROPHY ELE BULL PLAINS GAME HUNT @US$1100/DAY TOTAL US$ 15400
OBSERVERS US$250/DAY
ELE BULL US$14000
2% GOV LEVY ON d/RATES $308
4% GOV LEVY ON TROPHY FEES +- $560
DRIVE IN AND OUT US$500 OPTION FLY +-$2550
CITES TAG US$100
DIP AND PACK $600
MEDIVAC US$10/DAY
CAMERMAN US$170/DAY RAW FOOTAGE (OPTIONAL) US$50 /DAY EDITING
PLAINS GAME AT WEBSITE PRICES www.cmsafaris.com-

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike ,
Good luck and hoping you take a big bull, if it's your first , you are about to become an addict because if hunting is a drug , elephant hunting is the heroin of hunting.

You must not have followed Mike's posts here on AR as he is working on numbers 16 and 17 if I'm not mistaken. Most of Buzz's latest DVD concentrates on 5 or so of Mike's ele hunts. Well, that and the fact that his avatar is of a 60lbs+ single tusker taken a few years ago.

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
I just did the media of the Ivory shot in zimb in the last 12 years and it is 53,4 lbs per tusk.
7 elephants. biggest 90 pounder
Smallest 20pounder (don´t ask, Sad story)

All hunted with Matupula Safaris. 00263965026.For elephant hunts they are the real deal. Last year their clients shot 39 bulls with a media per tusk of 61,5lbs. It has been their best year of the last 27 and I was not lucky enough to get a licence;-(

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote