New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy from Zambia claims that cape buff meat decays very rapidly and must be eaten fresh in the hunting camp -- at which point, I suggested a refrigerated box on a unimog, since he loves game meat, and has far too much money for his own good -- I've been trying to convince him life's meant for hunting, shooting, sailing, fishing, etc rather than working, but he seems determined to keep working like crazy, rather than as little as possible.

The bit of biochemist still left in me, is interested in their cell structure -- I'm pretty sure they must have a high level of myostatin and cretin levels, but if it really does spoil fast, then something very unique must be going on, unless it's just contamination brought in during butchering due to their high parasite load.

can someone confirm that buff meat does spoil much quicker than antelope, etc?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
We ate buffalo many days after I shot it on the first day of the safari. The camp staff dried strips (biltong) for later use.

No ill effects Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks...saved me from a fleeting impulse to return to the lab...and get grants to go "study" buffalo meat samples...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Aglifter why don't you go ahead and apply for that grant along with import permits, etc. and I volunteer to go "obtain" the meat for you!
clap

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Aglifter

Your mate with the Unimog in Zambia wouldn't be an engineer with the initials "D. B." would he? Or a mate of this fellow?

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if he knows anybody with those inititials, but it's not him, sorry.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
After we killed a water buffalo we inmediately put a fire and make an asado or barbecue with the loins ,very juice and delicious every client appreciate it.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6381 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don´t think buff meats contains "cretin" but it might be high in "creatinine" Wink

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, given what I've heard of them, they might have quite a bit of cretin in them -- along with the trace hormones of trucluin, pissin, vinegarin...

No one should ever consider me an authority on anything, but least of all spelling.

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
We have eaten it several days after having shot it. Same as everything else. No rapid spoilage. The truckulin. vineagarin, and pissgarain (sp) are good for you.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unimog? It sounds expensive, which may be why I'm unfamiliar with it. Kindly explain.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice: Unimog? It sounds expensive, which may be why I'm unfamiliar with it. Kindly explain.
Mercedes Benz Unimog:

Or, for those looking for a little more bling...the U500 Black Edition:
Cool

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Refurbished ex Nato ones aren't that bad -- new ones are only bought by yuppies, and people with governmental budgets.