Gun explodes!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I cant believe I hang out on this sight with all the wankers here.Maybe I should get a life!

And your the one who opens the bolt
on a gun that has just misfired and
rechambered a new round ?

Just make sure you are not on any ranges
I use.

I doubt you ever been on a range.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have run many of them, from pistol
to 84mm Anti Tank ranges and most
things in between.

Still doesn't answer the question in my post
about you rechambering a round on a misfire.

One day you might have a misfire, eject
the round and it will go off.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I`ve had the primer go off on empty round about half a dozen times so far.I was lucky to have the state of mind to stop and see what happen.I remember two times when I did not.This was when I first started stuffing the mag box and shooting 4+1 instead of 3+1 out of my 308.The rifle at times would not feed the first round out of the 4 round mag.When I pulled the trigger on a round I forgot to primer I thought it was a misfeed,ejected and loaded another and pulled the trigger.I was lucky it was a primerless round instead of a powderless round.

***If you've had those kinds of things happen more than once and didn't figure out how to remedy the problems at your reloading table, it's a wonder you even have a mind or any other body parts left, LOL!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

The "glued" shut box had nothing to do with the blow up in this thread, nor was it specified as Norma ammo, it was Remington. That was from Dugga Boye's post.

Fat Cat, I know where the glued box was posted, I just forgot to credit it to him, and I mentioned that because it was offered to prove the ammo was factory, and had not been tampered with! It makes no difference if it was Remington because they don't glue the boxes closed either!
....................................................................... Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by Gatogordo:

The "glued" shut box had nothing to do with the blow up in this thread, nor was it specified as Norma ammo, it was Remington. That was from Dugga Boye's post.

Gato:

The victim of the blown action stated the following in his opening post:

"The rifle was a brand new Sako .375 H&H Magnum (supplied by outfitter) and the ammo was Norma 300 grain Swift A-Frame."

I have never come across "glued" boxes other than ammo for DRs which to me have always come in boxes of 5 rounds a piece.

(just sayin) coffee

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HondoLane:
The only over-pressure event I have ever experienced was with factory ammo. It doesn't make me scared of factory ammo, but it sure did point out, to me anyways, that the major manufacturers are not without the capability of making mistakes.

I have only pushed handloads carefully to the point of getting flattened and cratered primers, brass extrusion into the bolt face ejector cut, causing
smearing on the brass head face when bolt is opened, sticky bolt opening, etc.
Then I back off.

When CZ first started offering the .505 Gibbs, they offered factory ammo too, at exorbitant price for 5-round taped shut boxes,
that was loaded by the now defunct A-Square Company. The company was being run by a Mr. Smith in Jeffersonville, IN at the time.
I bought some of that .505 Gibbs ammo, and could not even chamber a single cartridge, bolt would not close.
Subsequently loaded my own using Jamison (now Captech) brass with no problems.

I have had pierced primers and very hard bolt opening (hammer the bolt open) with two brands of factory ammo:

1. One batch of Remington .375 H&H that used the 300-grain Swift A-Frame. I think Remington recalled the batch and altered the recipe since then and no problems.

2. One batch of Weatherby-brand 460 WbyMag factory loaded by Norma, using the old 500gr RNSP.
This 460 WbyMag load was fired in a factory Weatherby MkV Deluxe, long throat and all.
Primer pierced clean through, soot-smoked the case head and bolt face, and the bolt handle had to be opened with a mallet.

Factory ammo is no guarantee of safety. Shi# happens. I rather take my chances with my own handloads too.

This latest awful blow-up was using a Swift .375/300gr A-Frame, loaded by Norma, eh?
Remington had a bad batch of over-pressure ammo with that same bullet once upon a time.

???
Maybe a multifactorial thing added up to the kaboom???

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I trust my handloads more than factory loads and , if there is ever a problem with overzealous loads, I know just who to blame...me. Since I don't have shotshell reloading equipment, I still must trust commercial loads for shotguns. Maybe I can remedy that soon; especially since 10 gauge ammo is getting much harder to find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I pulled the trigger on a round I forgot to primer I thought it was a misfeed,ejected and loaded another and pulled the trigger.I was lucky it was a primerless round instead of a powderless round.

So at what stage of your shooting life did you begin to do even the most basic visual inspection of ones handloads?

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
As to detonation-
Have seen a new 700 Remington 7Mag come apart with a 270 Winchester (Remington Brand) fired in it -

The round was the only 270 in a factory NEW box of Remington 7MM Mag-

quote:
This could have been a case of someone tampering with the ammo on the shelf. Can it be certain that the 270 was placed in that box of 7mm Mags at the factory?

quote:
Box was sealed-
glued shut-

The shooter - a young college graduate-
had shot rifles all his life-
So-
You open a glued box-
You placed the rounds in the magazine-

Sure YOU may criticize-

He Could have been MORE careful-

How many magazines have each of us loaded WITHOUT inspecting EVERY round of FRESH factory ammo-

SO- yes BLAME the kid -
Hell -
Blame everyone-
that does not thoroughly inspect EACH and EVERY round they load-

For it is my belief-
that each and everyone of us is guilty of this

My question is, has anyone here ever seen a box of Remington factory 7mm Rem Mag ammo in a factory box that was GLUED SHUT?

...................................................................... Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I bought seven boxes of Browning 375H&H solids a few years ago . .
This ammo was loaded for Browning in Montreal, PQ Canada!

It is possible that Browning sourced the ammunition sold under its name from different sources at different times, but over the years I've used several batches of it and all I'm familiar with was loaded by Winchester. I think that you may be confused by the fact that Browning's corporate address in Canada is Montreal.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
As to detonation-
Have seen a new 700 Remington 7Mag come apart with a 270 Winchester (Remington Brand) fired in it -

The round was the only 270 in a factory NEW box of Remington 7MM Mag-

quote:
This could have been a case of someone tampering with the ammo on the shelf. Can it be certain that the 270 was placed in that box of 7mm Mags at the factory?

quote:
Box was sealed-
glued shut-

So-
You open a glued box-

Sure YOU may criticize-

How many magazines have each of us loaded WITHOUT inspecting EVERY round of FRESH factory ammo-

SO- yes BLAME the kid -
Hell -
Blame everyone-

For it is my belief-

My question is, has anyone here ever seen a box of Remington factory 7mm Rem Mag ammo in a factory box that was GLUED SHUT?

...................................................................... Confused

Mac-
Look at the tab ends of any modern (Green and Yelow) Remington rifle box -

You will find typically two dots of glue about 1/4" + in size
(adhesive or what ever term you choose)

These stick the outer flap to the two smaller side (lateral) flaps that are folded inside-

The outer flap will also have recessed cuts at its fold to lock to these two small lateral flaps.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Glad I didn't read this post before today... I found 3 boxes of 375 Speer 285 gr bullets, while on vacation last week, so I loaded some up and shot them this morning in my SAKO AV in 375 H&H

Whew! No issues! and inch and a half groups!

Had I read this thread earlier, I might have been flinching!

That being said, I have been reloading for almost 40 years.. The guy that taught me was a benchrest shooter, so I developed some positive habits.
Among other OCD reloading habits, the #1 is that I weigh EVERY charge. (for Rifle loads)

Never had a squib in 40 years with one of my reloads..

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack thread..

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac-
Look at the tab ends of any modern (Green and Yelow) Remington rifle box -

You will find typically two dots of glue about 1/4" + in size
(adhesive or what ever term you choose)

These stick the outer flap to the two smaller side (lateral) flaps that are folded inside-

The outer flap will also have recessed cuts at its fold to lock to these two small lateral flaps.

I guess that tells you I haven't bought a box of factory ammo in many years!

This also proves one is never too old to learn something new!
.................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Notice that I mentioned other's mistakes in my post; not only the shooter's. I am also aware that many other shooters do load their firearms without inspecting what they are actually loading into it. I feel that this is a mistake; one that should be remedied. That was the reason for my post... not to blame whomever the shooter in this example was. I guess my training in the Navy Nuclear Power Program taught me to be anal retentive when it comes to safety and that each one of us on duty were responsible for safety. Almost every accident can be traced to a chain of errors or oversights; not a single event. No disrespect was/is intended to anyone involved. A detailed study of actions leading up to an accident can help others to not repeat the event.

quote:
Box was sealed-
glued shut-

So-
You open a glued box-

Sure YOU may criticize-

SO- yes BLAME the kid -
Hell -
Blame everyone-

For it is my belief-

Hondo,
I too had Navy Training-
Aviator-
where variance from strict procedure routinely results in tragedy-
and-
YES-
We All can be more careful-
However-
Factory sealed boxes purchased by the general-non-expert consumer-
should-
be expected to contain Correctly labeled product-

In this case- the first 2 rounds fired round were indeed 7mm rem Mag-
However, the 3rd WAS a .270 Win-

Yes ,
it only takes once-
My point is/was-
the reasonable/prudent , NON- expert
Would expect ALL rounds in the Factory Fresh New Sealed Box to be CORRECT-
and
as I said-
Remington replaced the rifle and the ammunition and more-

All present were experienced shooters-
The bolt was removed, bore was checked for obstruction-

So-
you and I, with our training for details MAY have detected the error- maybe not-

Yes ,
accidents ARE-
typically a series of errors/incidents-
BUT
when and where those errors/incidents occur MAY be miles even years apart-

In the case of the original poster-
We/He may never know-

Metallurgy defect-
Ammunition Defect
Bore obstruction-
Previous damage to the rifle-
Etc-

So pardon my irritation with your response-

While we can all be more careful-
and
individual responsibility is paramount to safety-

Reasonable people, expect reasonable performance and responsibility from those providing products-

Whether that be a box of ammunition or a rifle-

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mustbhuntn:
A good example of today's society. Don't even know what happened and ready to sue. thumbdown

I am sorry for your accident but dam...accept some responsibility for your own safety and well being. It's hunting...things can happen...doesn't mean someone is liable.

+1[/QUOTE]

+ 2

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like RIP I had some serious pressure issues with the Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H Ammo. When it was 1st introduced we had excellent accuracy in most of the 375s we built with no pressure issues what so ever in fact it was our go to recommended load for clients. Then a few years into production all the ammo we acquired would lock the guns up. If I remember correctly we pulled some bullets from the older lots and found Ball Powder sitting under the Swifts and the new productions runs showing excessive pressure were loaded with extruded powder. A call to Big Green at that time went no where.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been hunting only with reloads for so many years, and I would not even consider using factory ammo - they don't make it for my rifles clap

There is no factory in existence that can make ammo as good as my reloads beer

You are absolutely correct with every sporting round I shoot, each round is individually measured for the powder charge and checked completely. Each round for the bolt rifles are worked through the rifle carefully and boxed. Each round for the double rifles are done exactly the same plus making certain the rifle closes and opens properly. I have seen too many "Factory Loads" which caused problems with friends at the range. In the bush is no time to have a problem.

Other than lost, delayed or stolen rifles there is no excuse for not bringing your own rifle and ammunition which you have very carefully loaded.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GOB:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I have been hunting only with reloads for so many years, and I would not even consider using factory ammo - they don't make it for my rifles clap

There is no factory in existence that can make ammo as good as my reloads beer

You are absolutely correct with every sporting round I shoot, each round is individually measured for the powder charge and checked completely. Each round for the bolt rifles are worked through the rifle carefully and boxed. Each round for the double rifles are done exactly the same plus making certain the rifle closes and opens properly. I have seen too many "Factory Loads" which caused problems with friends at the range. In the bush is no time to have a problem.

Other than lost, delayed or stolen rifles there is no excuse for not bringing your own rifle and ammunition which you have very carefully loaded.

You are absolutely correct in doing this.

We load literally thousands of rounds a year, for so many rifles. Some are our own and many others belong to others.

We have had a few occasions of some rifles not liking a particular load and showing high pressure. But never had anything dangerous happen.

I had a friend here this afternoon while I was loading ammo for our safari later this year.

My load is 85 grains of H4350.

I set the powder measure to drop this charge. Charge all the case, and weigh each charge separately on the scales.

Many rounds fall within my limit of 84.9-85.1.
Others which do not meet this are adjusted.

Also make sure I look into the cases after all have been charged.

I don't want anything to happen when I am facing an irate cape buffalo.

I still believe that a rifle blows up only when something really drastically goes wrong.

It could be due to the rifle, the ammo, or a mistake by the shooter.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote