THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    ken howell never made it to africa...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ken howell never made it to africa...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
i spoke with ken howell today and it broke my heart...if you dont know he is the inventor of the 375,416 and 450 howell from the 1970s(a shortened 404 case) well he never made it to africa. he is 75 now and partialy paralized and his dream of going to africa has never come even though it was his dream and he invented these wildcats for africa. he said he could never end up saving enough money it aleays needed to go somewhere else. i guess having 2 daughters will do that but i just wanted to say if you have gone on a safari in africa you are blessed and for every one there is a thousand who have dreamed even those like ken howell a real nice guy and wonderful to talk to. i learned a lot today...about dreams and how precious life is and how it seems to always slip away. i would love for ken to have his dream come true and go to africa and use his rifles that he made for africa. i would donate $200 for it but it would take a lot of others...if you have dreams of africa GO! and dont let it slip away.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have met Ken. He is a really nice guy. He has had some bad breaks, but if anyone really wants to go to Africa, they can find a way.

Look at D99 - serving in the Navy. He is enlisted, so he doesn't make a ton of money. But he found a way.

A lot of folks think writing is a ticket to free hunts. The writers I know either made money in other ventures, are good marketers and hard workers, or they just plain don't make a lot of money period. Ken isn't the only writer who never made it to Africa.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ken's dreams led him elsewhere and when his time comes, he will have left a pretty damned good legacy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
its a damn shame no matter how you look at it. yes it is on him but everyone has to make sacrafices of dreams to everyday life. its a shame someone like him has not gone.

Posts: 27606 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ANYONE who makes hunting in Africa a priority can do it. For example:

1. Refinance your house and take out some of the equity to spend on hunting. (No, I have not done that. Smiler )

2. Sell the Lexus, buy a Toyota, and use the difference to hunt Africa.

3. Sell the Toyota, ride the bus and go hunting in Africa.

4. Sell all your guns except the 2 that you are going to take to Africa. If you still do not have enough money, sell your 4 wheelers and boat and go to Africa.

5. Find ways to save money, such as:

a. Take your lunch to work. $5/day x 22 days/mo. x 50 months = $5,500.

b. Stop renting videos. $3 each x 2/week x 50 months = $3,600.

c. Stop going to sporting events. $50 x 2 tickets x 6x/year x 4 years = $2,400

d. Skip the family vacation one year (average cost $2,000).

e. Sell all your old crap on ebay. $1,000

TOTAL (from #5 only) $14,500

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
africa has become much cheaper today...and that is good. my point is go! do it or you might find yourself too old or too poor or life can just get in the way. i want to go on my 40th but maybe i should shoot for 35 and see what happens

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another way to save a few bucks.Quit paying for Internet service and save $20/mth in 41 yrs you will have saved a total of $10,000

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
ANYONE who makes hunting in Africa a priority can do it.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless my youngest skips college , the closest thing to an African safari will be the Bronx zoo.

Posts: 116 | Location: NEW JERSEY | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not choke on some food then sue the chef and both you and your lawyer can go together?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was on a goat hunt in New Mexico about 10yrs ago and the other group in camp was made up of a Lawyer, Chriopractor (bone cracker) and a contractor and they bragged about how the lawyer referred "injured clients" to the bone cracker and then they both built large homes with the contactor.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unless my youngest skips college

It's called a 4 year ROTC Scholarship, you will both be better off.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend that had a saying that really hits home. Whenever we would talk about things and places we wanted to go and do he would always say "You can do anything you want, you just can't do everything you want". Pick and choose. Set priorities. Plan your work and work your plan.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of my employees makes $41,500/yr has two kids and a mortage and he goes on a buff hunt everyother year.
Now if a guy making that income can do it anyone can do it. It is solely a matter of how much you wish to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats,
Are you HIRING!?!?!? wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbltap:
quote:
Unless my youngest skips college

It's called a 4 year ROTC Scholarship, you will both be better off.

My youngest son did that. Trouble is I'd already given him his college money.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cats:
one of my employees makes $41,500/yr has two kids and a mortage and he goes on a buff hunt everyother year.
Now if a guy making that income can do it anyone can do it. It is solely a matter of how much you wish to go.

The average combined household income is somewhere around that for combined.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BFJ: How are you living in NYC on under $41K ?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does this guy post here?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will shed some light (maybe). I have been watching and posting here for some time. I am 47 years old, I am toolmaker for a plastics company, and I make a little over 50k a year. I have five kids, two are in college. I don't and won't pay for their college, I feel that is up to them. However ee help all we can with expenses that come up. Two of my daughters are married, one has two kids of her own, and another has just informed us of one on the way. My wife works full time and makes abour 30k a year. We have recently been talking about this very subject. I hunt in several states, and extensivly here at home, but I want more than anything to get to Africa, before I am too old to enjoy it. we have recently decided to sell our house so we can do the traveling we want to do. I, and several of my co-workers watch this board regularly and marvel at the the amount of money some of you guys spend on hunting trips. If you are able to do this on a regular basis, you are truly blessed. Unfortunatly some people can't set this sort of thing as a priority, at least not at certain points in time.

shoot staight
DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the key to someone hunting Buff on $40,000 a year salary is, inheritance. Otherwise, they can't have any quality of life.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forestB I haven't the slightest idea he works for me. I'm not his keeper.

hunt4 I doubt he has any "new" money, though IMHO he has his priorities in order.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
I will shed some light (maybe). I have been watching and posting here for some time. I am 47 years old, I am toolmaker for a plastics company, and I make a little over 50k a year. I have five kids, two are in college. I don't and won't pay for their college, I feel that is up to them. However ee help all we can with expenses that come up. Two of my daughters are married, one has two kids of her own, and another has just informed us of one on the way. My wife works full time and makes abour 30k a year. We have recently been talking about this very subject. I hunt in several states, and extensivly here at home, but I want more than anything to get to Africa, before I am too old to enjoy it. we have recently decided to sell our house so we can do the traveling we want to do. I, and several of my co-workers watch this board regularly and marvel at the the amount of money some of you guys spend on hunting trips. If you are able to do this on a regular basis, you are truly blessed. Unfortunatly some people can't set this sort of thing as a priority, at least not at certain points in time.

shoot staight
DGK

375 H&H let me first say that I've never been to Africa. You say you hunt in several states and extensively at home. Then you say you want to go to Africa. Well I do know that out of state license are not cheap not to mention the travel and other expenses etc. etc. involved in hunting away from home.
Then you say you cant set this sort of thing as a priority. Well it sounds to me like your priorities as far as huntings goes are hunting other states. Just an observatiion from your above post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christ! you can book a 7 day buff hunt add air from the USA an still be well under $10K. Split that up over 2 or 3 years and you couldn't hunt as a NR in Mt for mule deer with a guide and outfitter sponsored tag for that money.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I once had a discussion with a guy who said he could never afford an African safari. He was a police officer on an average salary.

He had a hobby of collecting military rifles. I believe he had 300 (or so) rifles. Yes 3001

I said to him, why not sell half. You can afford a very good safari.

He said he couldn't part with them.

Priorities.

I would prefer to have 3 - 5 good firearms and use them a lot, than several dozen collecting dust in gun safes to be "fondled".

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt4Life:
I think the key to someone hunting Buff on $40,000 a year salary is, inheritance. Otherwise, they can't have any quality of life.

If they did this yearly or every couple years then no they wouldnt have a lot else for sure.

There are several people on this forum that it is obvious that they are doing a lot of hunts on inherited money. Not saying there is anything wrong with that. I know if I would of inherited a large sum of money I would be going to Africa as much as possible.
Please dont get me wrong because there are several people on this board that I wouldnt mind meeting someday, and some I probably wouldnt even mind sharing a hunting camp with sometime.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Christ! you can book a 7 day buff hunt add air from the USA an still be well under $10K. Split that up over 2 or 3 years and you couldn't hunt as a NR in Mt for mule deer with a guide and outfitter sponsored tag for that money.

So is this including everything?
So I can just put back a couple hundred a month for about 4 years and save tax returns and make a buff hunt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that will pay for a buff hunt (7 days) trophy fee, daily fees and air from the USA with $ leftover. what else you want to do such as leave your PH a $1000 tip as some here on AR suggest is up to you.
I've seen show special prices on buff for $6800 with air to Jo'burg from Atlanta. No secret in that

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
forestB I haven't the slightest idea he works for me. I'm not his keeper.

Tell him about AR. Anyone who is willing to sacrifice that much to buff hunt ought to be posting here. I'd love to hear his take on things.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I met Ken for the first time last week at the SHOT Show; hea had sent me a photo to recognize him, and I knew he was partially paralyzed and using a wheel chair.

He he now editing an Internet magazine for Rick Bin at 24 Hr Campfire. You could help his efforts by checking it out (see Smokepole on the site). He also posts frequently on the Campfire.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted in Africa twice now and each time I have financed some of it with selling my gun collection. I can always find another shotgun or rifle. I now hunt with 2 old shotguns and a Remington 30-06, but they work fine. I also have a 5 gallon jug I use to save money. It is called the “Dangerous Game fund†and when its full It’ll go towards the trophy fee on a Leopard or a Cape Buffalo. That change adds up.

I still find it interesting that people think Africa is prohibitively expensive, when it can be cheaper than hunting Elk out west.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 251 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
As several have said: anyone who makes hunting in Africa a priority can do it.

BillQ

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote