Find
Notify
Tools

Zebra Ass Rug
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I thought the catchy title might get me a few more views. I have an idea and need some opinions. My family and I are going on our first safari to Namibia next year. I hope to shoot both a Mtn. Zebra and a Burchell's Zebra. I want to get a double pedestal mount with both specimens. However, I was thinking of also doing something else. I'm sure all of you know how to cape out an animal for a shoulder/pedestal mount similar to the diagram below.

What I was thinking of doing was to take the back halves from both of my Zebras and putting them together to make one rug out of 2 Zebra asses. I know it's a little abstract, but I think it could look cool. It would have some sort of border between them with the tail and 2 hind legs on each end. I wouldn't put it on the floor, I would tack it up on the wall at an angle. Any opinions or suggestions? I was also thinking of doing the same thing with 2 Springboks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Huh?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Here's a rough example of what I am talking about:

I want to use the front halves to make a double pedestal mount AND use the back halves to make a rug. In my case, one half would be Mtn. Zebra and the other half would be Burchell's Zebra. Does that make a little more sense now?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. . .It might help if you got the right half asses together in the picture since the half asses are not going to look quite like that. (Different looking half asses) It should be quite a conversation piece since you can ask everyone if they want to see your half assed zebra rug.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not see why you coud not do it. I would tell the skinners about your plan before they start working on the hide.

I think the back part of the hide is the prettiest part.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
People tan back skins frequently but I have never heard of a rug like you describe. Not to my taste but you could ask a good taxidermist.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Texas to Horses what Montana is to Sheep?

Just wondering.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
It would probably look neat on the floor...more useful than two separate backskins.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make it a point not to do things half assed!! Well I try anyway's.. Wink I would just shoot an extra Zebra for the rug!!

My .02

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Here's a rough example of what I am talking about:

I want to use the front halves to make a double pedestal mount AND use the back halves to make a rug. In my case, one half would be Mtn. Zebra and the other half would be Burchell's Zebra. Does that make a little more sense now?

aaaah...the elusive two assed zebra...nice trophy rotflmo

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27608 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who was it that had the pushmepullme? Better than wasting that much pretty hide, but would probably look better as two seperate pieces, as on end tables,opposite ends of the room etc. thumb

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be great to set each pedestal on its own ass! Think about it and talk to taxidermist. There may be possibilities. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it can be done but I think the springbuck halves would look better than the zebra halves puty together. You will have two totally different patterns on each end.
The example you made looks great as they are of the saem zebra but with different patterns I dont think it would look so nice.

The springbuck on the other hand will look the same more or less on both sides.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Very interesting. . .It might help if you got the right half asses together in the picture since the half asses are not going to look quite like that. (Different looking half asses) It should be quite a conversation piece since you can ask everyone if they want to see your half assed zebra rug.

Bloody classic. animal

A great idea and a real conversation piece!!!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Just tell visitors you shot a zebra which had no head ....

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Do it, Hoss, it's your skin! Hook them together, and set the pedistal in the middle of it! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea! How about a Zebra rifle case with stripe running in both directions?

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Basically you're just talkig about keeping only the backskin of a zebra (after using the rest for your pedastal mount). As Charles mentioned earlier, that's not at all unusual for some species--just a unique idea for a zebra.
I have the backskin from a kudu across a bed at my farm. It looks good and I can't imagine why that portion of the skin from a zebra wouldn't look nice as well.
The only problem with putting two zebra backskins together is that they wouldn't necessarily line up nicely. First, zebras can vary in size, but secondly, they almost always vary in their stripe patterns, meaning the two sides will not be mirror images of each other.
There's certainly nothing wrong with being creative and your idea might be a good one!

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just tell the skinners you are going to do full body mounts of the Zebra. Then cross the half-ass rug bridge with your taxidermist when he gets the hides.

It can be done easily. And I think it might look cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
ES, have the skinner skin out the legs all the way down to the hoof! That is not used on the rugs, but the very fine stripes on the lower legs, make good looking top surfaces for Rifle slings, belts, and hat bands! As soon as your trophies come in from tanning, cut this off yourself, before the rug is made. On my last zebra the leg skin was lost, because the lady who makes the rugs for my taxidermist, threw them in the scrap bin long before my rug was finished. That is why your taxidermist should cut them off and give them to you before they do your rugs! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Doolittle had the "pushmepullyou" ...don´t know about an animal with two asses though...a "shitmeshityou"? dancing

I think making one rug out of two backskins is a good idea.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Go for it. There are numerous Taxidermists here and there that can accomodate your wants. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think its a damn fine idea.
It'll be unique and quite the conservation piece.

It will also help illustrate the difference between the Burchell and the Hartman.

DRSS

Posts: 122 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
People put antlers on rabbits, so you're idea doesn't seem that crazy to me, and I'm sure you could get someone to do it. I'm having my moose hide done into a coat. There's another option for you. Just watch out during any local prison breaks. That pattern would be a real bitch to explain. Smiler

BTW, I wonder if two zebra patterns will match as nicely as your example. I doubt it. But then, whatever floats yer boat! If you get it done, love to see pics of the finished product.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote