Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo hunting sucks!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
I almost fell out of my chair with all the comments on the other thread that buffalo hunting was just OK, unchallenging, mundane, and a ho-hum, so-so overall experience.

Wow. I shake my head just typing it.

So, all you guys that are bored by buffalo, what really gets you excited? Anything?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Serpentine Tattoos on slender female ribcages...

Just Sayin...

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Just Sayin...

You forgot the tongue stud. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:

Just Sayin...

Jeff, shhhh! My wife reads this from time to time.

What happens in Florida . . .

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree and I'd expand it to be any well done, flowing tattoo on a slender pale skinned body. damn.

Of course being married that's probably a more dangerous game Smiler

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I like hunting everything. I find moose hunting to be pretty exciting; same with elk. But there is nothing particularly challenging about buffalo hunting. The odds of coming home empty handed are pretty low. They present a huge target. Most I see at taxidermy shops, Cabelas, etc. are very ordinary and are under 37 inches. Unless wounded, they are generally very docile. Some of you guys make it out like it the most dangerous thing on the planet.

I find the charter flight in far more terrifying than any buffalo. Maybe it is too much time in small planes in Alaska. Maybe it is a friend who buried the wheel into his chest on the Egigik River in AK many years ago.

Seeing any animal of above average quality for the area gets me cranked. A huge buffalo certainly does, and it is why i am planning on blowing about 30K to hunt them in Masailand. I get more excited with lion, leopard, and elephant than buffalo.

I just find it baffling that anyone says they love to hunt but only buffalo, elephants, etc. Hell, I like to hunt rabbits with a .22. I love calling coyotes - that might actually be more exciting than buffalo.

Tell me, have you ever been on a packstring hunt in the Rockies for elk? What about a fly in DIY caribou hunt in AK? Ever hunted moose in the Yukon, AK or BC? Ever sheep hunt? Ever hunt in Mongolia? New Zealand? Hunt red stags in Scotland? Hunt grizzly or brown bear in AK? If so, would you trade any of them for another buffalo? I know I wouldn't.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm responsible for that mess!

Sorry guys I didn't mean to say that buff hunting was boring or that it sucked. I just had one hunt that wasn't primo and was whining like a little school girl about it I guess. Wink

That other DG hunting you are talking about though hmmm..

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's ALL GOOD!!!! Big Grin It's that "roaring in the blood", to take a phrase from a well known book title! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
It's ALL GOOD!!!! Big Grin

+1

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Tell me, have you ever been on a packstring hunt in the Rockies for elk? What about a fly in DIY caribou hunt in AK? Ever hunted moose in the Yukon, AK or BC? Ever sheep hunt? Ever hunt in Mongolia? New Zealand? Hunt red stags in Scotland? Hunt grizzly or brown bear in AK? If so, would you trade any of them for another buffalo? I know I wouldn't.

I've done a bit for a boy of 37 years . . . 27-ish hunts have taken me to England, Argentina, NZ x2, Sasketchewan, 10 states, and six African safaris, and all I can think of is how many safaris (with buffalo, of course) I could have taken if I'd not gone to those other places.

Different strokes.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff/Will:

That was funny as hell. Of course one had to be there to have any idea what you guys were talking about!

Back to the subject matter, I think buff and elephant are the best. While I will always whack a big kudu or warthog, my future trips to Africa will concentrate on buff and elephant. Nothing like tracking for miles and miles .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I love buffalo hunting and have been blessed with several fine specimen.

For me it is the tracking I enjoy. I would rather take an ass whipping from the pope than ride in a cruiser all day. Being on the ground and tracking and chasing buffalo/elephant/eland/etc is my favorite hunt.

I do love buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I agree, buffalo hunting sucks . . . compared to elephant hunting.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree, buffalo hunting sucks . . . compared to elephant hunting.

jumping

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
So, all you guys that are bored by buffalo, what really gets you excited? Anything?

I was one of the guys who said I found buffalo hunting "just OK" on the other thread.

The truth is, I had many contacts with buffalo and in every case they turned tail and ran.(Save me the "yeah, but when wounded" BS, I know, I get it...)

Lion scared me every time we made contact, and when I shot one my adrenaline hit its highest point ever. I love lion hunting.

And Elephant! You never know what they will do when you invade their space. While closing in on the bull I eventually shot, we passed a group of females from about 20m while they slept on the top of a little hill and we didn't realize it until we were already past them. Talk about stepping over your own grave.....

Buffalo would interest me if hunted without a PH.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
With all of one buffalo in the salt take my opinion for whatever you think it's worth.

The adreneline rush I experienced from my one hunt will keep me going back. Just the thought of what can happen when I put the crosshairs on a bull will carry me through as many buffalo hunts as I can do.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
[QUOTE]

The truth is, I had many contacts with buffalo and in every case they turned tail and ran.(Save me the "yeah, but when wounded" BS, I know, I get it...)

Yea, that's the point. Every time I've made contact with a Whitetail, Elk, Mule Deer, etc., they turn tail and run. Buff are just as spooky and alert as Whitetail! But they have the added excitement of being able to turn the tables on you which Whitetails don't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

Yep, done every bit of that and then some. By the way, Mongolia really SUCKS! But to answer the question, besides hunting brown bears and African Cats, I can think of nothing I "enjoy" more than buffalo. I love big whitetail/muleys but I spend so much time guiding for them, that its not the same.

Buffalo, what a pleasure, and a tremendous trophy to boot! I'll go buffalo hunting with you anytime Will. tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a little underwhelmed on my buffalo hunt. Maybe it's because I live in an area with cattle, which get out, and am around them as we get them back where they are supposed to be. To me, they smell like cattle, sound like cattle, and act like cattle( unwounded ). Also, I felt very much like a second class citizen on a 10 day Tanzania buffalo hunt, as opposed to a 21 day full bag hunt, which I was told of all the big names that take those hunts. I had the feeling from staff that I was a waste of there time, wouldn't go back to Tanzania, unless I had some personal references. I am heading back to Zim next year and hope to have a better experience.

Posts: 296 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure does! I can't quit.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
For us po folks that are saving and hoping to do one buffalo hunt before our knees play out this is disheartening.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 634 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a one animal wonder is just not for everyone. Take it easy it's not personal. It's just different.

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I've never truly understood nor appreciated the allure and desire to hunt Cape Buff. Different strokes for different folks...

However, although I haven't BTDT, I have the sneaking suspicion it's not comparable to walking into the back 40 and shooting cattle.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frankly my dears .....
It all just sucks! buffalo are just cattle. I don't personalty know any one who has been bitten by a lion . I only know one person who has been chewed on by a leopard and I only know one person who has been hit by an Elephant cow (altho that is a very interesting story , told with dry British humor).

Being the kind generous and honorable gent that I am I am officially offering to relieve you of the sillyness and misery of wasting your valuable time in Africa fooling around with these animals. You just pay for the trip and I'll take your place and take responsibility of the chore of hunting .

This is a first come first served offer so don't hesitate as I am sure that my dance card will fill quickly and I can only do one hunt at a time.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CharlesL:
For us po folks that are saving and hoping to do one buffalo hunt before our knees play out this is disheartening.

You should not be disheartened one iota. Hunting buffalo is exciting and wonderful fun. Tracking buffalo and getting up to 50 yards for the shot is the stuff that dreams are made of. If someone told me that all I could hunt for the rest of my life was buffalo, I would die a content man. My hope for you is that your dream comes true. Stay the course.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been blessed to take the Big 5. For me the thought of walkin down old Syncerous Caffer is the best. FO it's a long stretch from walkin to the back 40 and pottin' Elsie the cow, but it could work out like that. Until you have sweated, bled, been defeated and ultimately scored you have no clue. Leopard is cool. Lion is awesome, but expensive.
Elephant is excellent, but I will hunt Buffalo until I am dead. I have only taken 8 but the two my father and my brother took, gave me chest pains. I think however they were the best. Understand most of my buff have come hard and honest. I love it and I live for it.

I can't wait to do it again.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Ernest, let me know if you get full up, I'm ready to help out also and I got a Rodda double that is rarin to go!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Although I have never hunted Cape Buffalo, my favorite hunt is behind good dogs chasing wild quail. Not appropriate in the African Hunting Forum, but that is what has made me a hunter of the world, or the lack of wild quail I knew growing up.

I have hunted Africa, albeit plains game in SA, South America where I wanted to get up close to their "buffalo," and killed thousands of birds in Argentina.

I hunted deer growing up, but at an early age I fell in love with bird hunting. My dad, despite being a fatass, could outrun an NFL wide receiver once a dog was on point. In Texas, and in most states, wild quail are gone, or hard to find. That being said, I transferred my hunting passion to other things; deer (ok), pigs (you bet, I'll kill them all), dove (Argentina 4x helps), plains game in SA was fun.

To those who have hunted WILD quail, what gets your heart pumping; bumping a covey or a dagga boy?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I have done a fair amount of hunting over the years. Not as much as some and more than others, like most of us, I guess. I have carried out different roles on the hunt - as a youth I did quite a lot myself, hunting and culling plainsgame, bird-shooting, a bit of PAC...Whilst working as a hunting apprentice/camp manager for a couple of different companies during the 90s, I accompanied many hunts in the role of tail end Charlie - water-bearer, spare rifle carrier, bait hanger, runner...As the younger brother of a dedicated PH, I also spent about a decade on permanent 'appy' call, as younger brothers of dedicated PH's tend to. Between 2002 and 2007, I worked as a hunting journalist for Roger Whittall Safaris, hunting big game in the Lowveld and the Zambezi valley. It goes without saying, that I have accompanied some memorable safaris and experienced some exciting moments along the way. Tracking down and witnessing showdowns with big elephant bulls, assisting my brother and his clients to account for numerous huge leopards, including one of 190 pounds, hunting everything from rabbits to elephants with PH's Roger Whittall, Pete Wood, Thierry Labat, Rich Tabor...Adrenalizing myself to the max chasing leopards with hounds...

When all is said and done, I don't think I have ever enjoyed hunting more than when I was tracking a small group of dagga boys through the jesse flanking the Chenje river in Chewore south, with my buddy PH Thierry Labat and his client Steve Townzen...Creeping stealthily through the jesse, Steve cradling his double rifle, the dung still wet and warm, bovine smell filling my nostrils, blood pumping...

Just my opinion. And then there was that elephant bull with Rich Tabor and Bob Glick...But no, I will stick with buffalo as my number one hunt, bearing in mind that I have been on many more buffalo hunts than elephant hunts, or lion hunts, or leopard hunts...One thing I don't think I'll ever do again is sit in a blind. Buffalo, elephant bull, leopard with hounds - ranked 1, 2 and 3 in that order in my book. I don't have enough lion experience to opine much on it.

If Roger Whittall had to offer me a free hunt of my choice today, I reckon I would choose buffalo bull, kudu bull and bushbuck. Maybe a nyala too....And some birdshooting and fishing, of course...

All boils down to different strokes for different blokes eh?

Happy hunting chaps, David

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tracking buffalo and getting up to 50 yards for the shot is the stuff that dreams are made of. If someone told me that all I could hunt for the rest of my life was buffalo, I would die a content man. My hope for you is that your dream comes true. Stay the course.

+1 Big Grin

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Buffalo hunting?

How about this a couple of years ago?

An Unintended Buffalo

Got my adrenalin flowing.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet, I am the same and it really has nothing to do with the hunt itself. I always go with my son and friends. It is not always a ball buster. Does not cost a fortune (except for good dogs). This year my son and a few good friends are loading up the pickups and driving from Texas to Montana to hunts huns. The road trip is fun in itself with the right crew, then the fresh mountain air and watching dogs work. We will leave the cell phones at home!

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Although I have never hunted Cape Buffalo, my favorite hunt is behind good dogs chasing wild quail. Not appropriate in the African Hunting Forum, but that is what has made me a hunter of the world, or the lack of wild quail I knew growing up.

I have hunted Africa, albeit plains game in SA, South America where I wanted to get up close to their "buffalo," and killed thousands of birds in Argentina.

I hunted deer growing up, but at an early age I fell in love with bird hunting. My dad, despite being a fatass, could outrun an NFL wide receiver once a dog was on point. In Texas, and in most states, wild quail are gone, or hard to find. That being said, I transferred my hunting passion to other things; deer (ok), pigs (you bet, I'll kill them all), dove (Argentina 4x helps), plains game in SA was fun.

To those who have hunted WILD quail, what gets your heart pumping; bumping a covey or a dagga boy?

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been lucky. I have taken the big 5. Other than rhino, I have taken them multiple times . I am up to 34 buffalo( not all bulls and not all trophies).

In my experience, I have shot buff that dropped instantly or ran off a very short distance to die. Some may not think that is exciting. I do not agree. There is always the thought that something could go wrong and this could be the one that has a bad attitude.

My own most exciting incident lasted ALL day. It was very early. We saw an incredible bull. He was facing us. At the shot,he went down and got up then ran. Blood was everywhere . We followed and followed and followed for 18 miles! I finished him. Being that tense for so long when we had to stay alert was amazazing. I was also having to look after a wife who had no clue of the danger. For what ever it is worth, the video showed that the bull dropped his head right as I shot. The bullet broke his lower jaw and came to rest on his spine. Had I shot with a solid, he would never have moved.

I have only had one real incident. To make a long story short, we walked right by a downed buff(and very much alive) not knowing he was there, thinking that a second buff was the one we were after. I shot the buff as he lay on the ground 3 times from close range. As i stood there reloading my 416, the damn thing got up and was trying to get us. I would love to say that he was on us like black lightening but the truth is he was so hurt that I could have easily ran out of his way. Then it hit me. Had I shot the other bull, this bull may have hammered us from behind . Scary stuff.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody that thinks Buffalo hunting sucks needs their head examined!

Put up your scope sighted rifles, go after wary Dugga-boys and don't take any shots past 15-20 yards! then, if you think that sucks...

...well let's just say you have an issue or two that have nothing to do with Buffalo hunting!

And to those that think they are nothing more than cattle - I reckon you have never spent enough time around livestock to understand that "just cattle" can kick your ass without a second's notice! More than one "experienced" rancher out here has been mauled / killed by those so-called "just cattle"!

Buffalo hunting mundane? - put-up the iPhone and get some "real" action - go hunting buffalo on their terms!

That is, if you have the balls!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Anybody that thinks Buffalo hunting sucks needs their head examined!

Put up your scope sighted rifles, go after wary Dugga-boys and don't take any shots past 15-20 yards! then, if you think that sucks...

...well let's just say you have an issue or two that have nothing to do with Buffalo hunting!

And to those that think they are nothing more than cattle - I reckon you have never spent enough time around livestock to understand that "just cattle" can kick your ass without a second's notice! More than one "experienced" rancher out here has been mauled / killed by those so-called "just cattle"!

Buffalo hunting mundane? - put-up the iPhone and get some "real" action - go hunting buffalo on their terms!

That is, if you have the balls!

JW

Jeff,

Can you recommend a good psychiatrist?

Actually the only buffalo hunting I now do are for buff wounded by someone else, crippled as by snare or one that has gored someone. Now that is interesting buffalo hunting to me. At least it is if it doesn't interfere with my elephant hunting.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
So if the choice (due to funding limitations) was a buffalo or a tuskless elephant hunt, understanding that there's no intention of mounting anything at home but photos, which would you do?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand to go all the way to Africa and NOT hunt buffalo. BUT as Jeff said I prefer to hunt them with an iron sighted double rifle uip close and personal. A scope CAN take some of the essence of the hunt away for me. Which was an issue on my last hunt, not having my double with me hurt my "widdle" feelings!

Given the choice between tuskless and buffalo for me at the moment I'd probably do a tuskless as I've only killed one elephant and multiple buffalo. Of course the economics make sense to do both as that trip will be cheaper than separate trips to come back and do one or the other.

Welcome to safari economics 101, how to rationalize your hunting expenditures. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have been lucky. I have taken the big 5. Other than rhino, I have taken them multiple times . I am up to 34 buffalo( not all bulls and not all trophies).

34 Buffalo!! shocker

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunt them in the thorn thickets of Kitiangare and tell me you're bored! There, they will charge you unprovoked from ten yards and you will barely have time, maybe, to get off a shot. Two dead clients in the past six years, I think, or is it eight?

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Hunt them in the thorn thickets of Kitiangare and tell me you're bored! There, they will charge you unprovoked from ten yards and you will barely have time, maybe, to get off a shot. Two dead clients in the past six years, I think, or is it eight?

Eeker

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote