Find
Notify
Tools

Who was the PH and Outfitter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
Who had the concession on the south shore of Cahorra Bassa back in the 90s and 00s? I hunted there with Mark Harper as my PH but can't remember the name of the guy who owned the concession. He had been an adversary of Adelino Pires during the war.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
Who had the concession on the south shore of Cahorra Bassa back in the 90s and 00s? I hunted there with Mark Harper as my PH but can't remember the name of the guy who owned the concession. He had been an adversary of Adelino Pires during the war.

Piet Houggard--just came to me out of the blue. wonder if he is still alive?

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Correct & have a vague idea he died but could be wrong on that.

In the earyish days his client accommodation was grass huts with open doorways IIRC. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes there is not much you can build with a couple of millions US$ donor money killpc

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
quote:

Correct & have a vague idea he died but could be wrong on that.

In the earyish days his client accommodation was grass huts with open doorways IIRC. Wink

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a name from the past!

IU wasn't sure, so I've just asked around; the consensus seems to be he passed away a couple of years back, but Piet Hougaard Safaris had an electronic brochure up as late as 2016. That would probably be about the time he passed away.

RIP.

Posts: 408 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

I know Piet Hougaard.

He is alive and starting from scratch again in Mozambique. His new area is quite a ways downstream of the old area on the south bank of Cahora Bassa.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Piet's old concession in Moz in 2005 booked through Wendell Reich. A ten day hunt to include the trophy for one buffalo was only $ 8,750. It was a great area and camp. I shot a 43" bull along with hippo cow and a smaller croc (I screwed up), even though there were lots of huge crocs in the area. The guy who bought it from Piet raised the basic price of $ 8,750 all the way up to just under $ 25k. I wish Piet the best success in his new area.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote