THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Life threatening mountain nyala hunting?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life threatening mountain nyala hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hunting Report subscriber John Searles had a brush with death when he suffered pulmonary edema while hunting mountain nyala in Ethiopia at 10,500 feet. For more details click this link to the bulletin:

http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=440

Fortunately he was evacuated by Global Rescue and is well on the way to recovery.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I was told one is to take 2 tums for fhigh altitude to some how help with oxygen in blood... Went ot Denver with a friend who had a bad heart and at 5000 ft he had altidude sickness and I had to drive him to hospital for an overnight stay...
The next day after the SCI dinner driving to OK. I could here his breathing get better in lower altitude...

For my upcoming hunt into Tanzania I have Global rescue also...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Climbers on Kilimanjaro have to watch for the same thing.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear that altitude sickness can hit any time you're over 6,000 feet. It's very important to know the symptoms and to take action. When it gets as bad as it did for Mr. Searles the only thing to do is to come down. If you stay up there, you will die.

Good idea on the Global Rescue, Mike. They do a fantastic job. And not that you'd need it in Tanzania, but now they offer security extractions as well as medical.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is serious business. I saw a woman come down with it while we were sheep hunting in China. It hit her suddenly and severely. Our base camp was at 12,500.

Diamox does wonders to help one acclimate to the altitude.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1989 when we were hunting Mt.Nyala in the high heather and our base camp was at 12,500 feet, we lost a client. He was 58 years old and had never had any problems before. He didn't last through the night even though we got him back down to around 7,500 feet or so.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I did not realize at what elevations they are hunted. That is High! Doesn't sound like a place for older hunters.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the scary thing about it, Rich. It can hit any time, even if you've been at higher altitudes before with no problems. That's why it's so important to know the symptoms and react quickly.