Find
Notify
Tools

African Lion Hunting!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
African Lion Hunting!!

Its been an interesting / hot topic for me for over 20 years now. I've seen all kinds of opinions / takes on it, and I just wanted to set the record straight. Frankly, this has been more of a FB issue than here on AR where most are more African "savvy". But....I still thought I would post it here for comment!

Africa really has 3 kinds of lion hunts available - but I was obliged to do this based on a post I saw today by a guy I like / respect, who owns a fabulous reserve in S.A., one in which he hunts lions too.

His claim was hunting "baited / wild" lions is just an example of shooting lions....not hunting them. Well, as you can imagine I could NOT disagree more. So here's my take on it.

#1: First off, we have the "canned lion" issue. Not an avenue I am especially fond of, but none-the-less, an option. Most of the ridiculous / big maned / fat lions one sees on social media taken by the bow hunter - tv personality is just this type of hunt. Its a S.A. hunt, done where the lion is raised its entire life in a "cage", literally a cage, fed by humans and conditioned to a lot of human presence. Immediately prior to the hunter's arrival - its released into a hunting block, 5,000 - 50,000 acres, and hunted / shot for sport. The lion is oblivious to the new surroundings, what's going on, where he is - or who the hell these guys are barreling down on him in mass? Its not a hunt IMO, its a shoot - where success is virtually guaranteed, thus these hunts are generally 5 - 7 days, with a lot of that just a show about tracking the lion, etc. Thus why they are mainly done in the Kalahari region of SA - we all could track a lion there. Often times they will send you pics of the lions, and you can choose which one you want to shoot?

#2: Reserve / semi wild lions. Lions in these areas generally live on 20,000 - 50,000 acres of high fence property, where they live / hunt and fend for themselves. Rarely / if ever, are these lion hunts not 100% successful. Especially in S.A., where like in my "friend's" case, the lions live on 22,000 acres of high fence. You are going to get your lion, its just a matter of when (most hunts here are 5 to maybe 10 days) and which one you get. I've personally done one of these hunts in the Limpopo of S.A. We hunted a 40,000 acre plus property, the lions were in there - and my success I never felt was really in question. It was not easy hunting (all tracking) but I knew we would eventually get our intended target, and after only a few days we did. I was very satisfied with this hunt, but I would never confuse it with a "wild" lion hunt.

#3: True Wild Lion Hunting. I've personally done 19 true wild lion hunts, taking 14 wild male lions - roughly a 75% success rate - which is IMO is higher than normal. I've also been with numerous clients on these hunts, with generally good success. With the exception of my Botswana lion hunt - all were done via baiting. Botswana was a rare example of a place where wild lions can truly be "tracked", simply because of the terrain conditions.

In most wild lion areas like Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, etc, tracking a lion is virtually impossible - even for the greatest of trackers. Its all Miombo woodlands, thick grass, rocks, and very little to no sandy conditions. What you see on NatGeo on the savannahs of the Serengeti is not reality in wild Africa.

The fact is, most of the wild hunting blocks are 250,000 to 1 million plus acres of completely wild / unfenced areas with terrible road conditions, tsetsee flies by the thousands and long days / nights, hoping to find a cat. Lions are predators, thus they are few / far between. First one must hope to find the lions, then hope to strategically place baits where the lion might find it, and then hope the lion will feed (sometimes they will ignore baits all together) and finally hope it is a suitable male that will actually feed in the daylight. These hunts are off-limits to night shooting, and predators are night animals - they know the gig, and they know to avoid human contact.

Nothing is smarter than a predator....period! I've seen wild lions do amazing things to avoid human contact. I've seen lions eat a bait once and NEVER return. I've seen lions only come after dark, I've seen lions walk up to a bait, inspect it and walk off, I once hunted a lion in Zambia we called the Chamakube King. For 2.5 weeks we tried everything to kill this lion....we slept all night in the blind to be there at daylight with no vehicle presence, we moved the blind numerous times - finally to 150 yards away. No matter what we tried, he only came to feed on the days we were not there (every time), if we were there he would never show himself. He knew exactly what we were doing every single time - we finally gave up and left him be.

My average success on baited / wild lions took 15 days, but on 5 occasions I spent 21 days hunting wild lions with no success at all. Jeremiah Bennett and I once hunted a lion in Tanzania for 23 days of a 21 day hunt. We extended the hunt, just hoping to get this guy - we finally did on the 23rd morning. He was one of the smartest lions I have ever seen, but finally he made a mistake.

Fact is, "baiting" a wild lion is much like hunting mtn lion with dogs. The "hunt" is the essence of what you are trying to accomplish, not shooting the lion at a bait - 60 yards away. To finally convince a big male lion to first find your bait, come to your bait, and return to your bait during daylight hours is the hunt - not the killing of the lion. Then to assure he's old enough, he's without dependent cubs, etc, is another game all together.

I've been skunked twice in Tanzania, once in Zimbabwe, once in Zambia and once in Mozambique - all on 21 day safaris. Anyone who would ever claim hunting a lion over bait is just shooting a lion.....has either little experience doing so - or has an alternate motive in saying so...period! They are without question....the toughest adversary I have ever faced in the wild - hands down!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Good post Aaron. Thanks

Carl Frederik

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 good post.

Posts: 10931 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

In most wild lion areas like Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, etc, tracking a lion is virtually impossible - even for the greatest of trackers. Its all Miombo woodlands, thick grass, rocks, and very little to no sandy conditions.

I have done it several times with Buzz and his trackers. In each case we ultimately caught the lions. Tracking lions remains one of the most memorable things I have ever done in Africa . . . not because we ever pulled the trigger but simply to have been able to watch the trackers do the impossible. Good trackers are professionals in every sense of that word.

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

In most wild lion areas like Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, etc, tracking a lion is virtually impossible - even for the greatest of trackers. Its all Miombo woodlands, thick grass, rocks, and very little to no sandy conditions.

I have done it several times with Buzz and his trackers. In each case we ultimately caught the lions. Tracking lions remains one of the most memorable things I have ever done in Africa . . . not because we ever pulled the trigger but simply to have been able to watch the trackers do the impossible. Good trackers are professionals in every sense of that word.

I would agree Mike, I too have done it in Zim / Bots, etc. My point is simply - its not the norm / easy in any locale!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, I did not mean to imply otherwise. It takes the best of the best . . . and Buzz generally hunts with two excellent trackers as opposed to one. It borders almost on magic or the supernatural to me it is so far beyond my abilities.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Is it known how many wild lions are taken by trophy hunters each year, broken down by country? I think that only 10 or so are taken from RSA.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I think most of the exceptional trackers are guys that become one with their surroundings where they are born, raised and taught the art from very young age besides having the gift
That’s an awesome statistic Aaron
I think it’s about time you started thinking about book on lion hunting
I hope you been doing detailed journals on every hunt
Sooner the better as I can be impatient man when it comes to good books

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
But why do some folks find it perfectly ACCEPTABLE to shoot a lion or leopard or black bear over a bait, yet find shooting hoof stock over a bait pile or waterhole or standing at or near a vehicle totally DEPLORABLE????

Are hunters not sending mixed messages?

Where are the lines drawn and who is responsible for drawing them?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

If I ever have the good fortune to hunt a lion? it will be this way!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
But why do some folks find it perfectly ACCEPTABLE to shoot a lion or leopard or black bear over a bait, yet find shooting hoof stock over a bait pile or waterhole or standing at or near a vehicle totally DEPLORABLE????

Are hunters not sending mixed messages?

Where are the lines drawn and who is responsible for drawing them?

I will address habaviors vs predators in Africa. First, the major cats and hyena have huge territories. I think over 10 square miles. The deer has at most a 2 mile territory. The herbivore becomes readily conditioned to a spot by better quality feed in the form of high nutrient bait compared to natural browse Herbivore over bait is highly successful. Lion, leopard, hyena, and civet over bait is not highly successful.

Finally, with such a high scientific priority being placed on taking non breeding, non pride hoilding lions the use of bait and trail cameras allows or assist the PH to make the proper aging of the animal.

I would be more inclined to black bear over bait if it were natural baits similar to Africa. Shooting a bear with its head in a barrel full of molasses, bacon, and corn is not my idea of a enjoyable hunting experience .

Also, feeding deer in concentrated feeding sites and deer farming has been directly linked to the escalation of CWD.

In the interest of non alienation. I submit feeding harbaviores in non concentrated, non timed manner could be ethically form of hunting.

I still think that if one would allow me to still hunt a Texas ranches with high deer densities, I could kill deer of the age class/ size class the land owner wanted without feeding.

Posts: 10931 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
L. Heym, before deer hunting in Texas changed in the late 80's/early 90's, EVERY deer I killed in a 20 year period, was ALL done Spot & Stalk, No Feeders/No Blinds!

Point is, even among hunters, stating that it is OKAY to shoot a PREDATOR over a bait, or even at night using artificial light, but shooting shooting hoof stock basicall;y in a similar manner ISN'T folks, including hunters have a hard time buying that!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never considered that you did not. You asked for an articulation of a difference. I tried to give you one. Do with it as you will.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No matter what form of hunting of whatever animal you choose( predators/herbivores over bait/ at night/ tracking/ with dogs, ad infinitum), there will ALWAYS be people who complain.....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting lion over bait is a difficult hunt. First you must secure the bait then place it in the most advantageous area which is a skill itself. Sneaking into a blind with a lion and lioness(s) on bait in a heavily grassed area is extremely difficult given that the bait is only 40 yards away with many sets of eyes and ears focused not to mention a lioness and cubs in your blind as you approach on occasion. It took all of 16 days for this to work for me and I know it is difficult for others as well. As Ian Gibson told someone I know "Yank in your tongue"....meaning if you haven't done it then you really don't have any idea what the hell your talking about. Just saying

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your still not getting it.

Non-Hunters and even many hunters, do not/can not buy into the concept that some hunters feel that it is acceptable to hunt some species in one manner and not accept hunting other species in a similar manner.

The point some folks are missing is that the ANTI'S do not care either way! They intend to end ALL HUNTING, regardless of how it is done.

But for one group of hunters to openly state that hunting a species they enjoy hunting, by a particular method, is perfectly okay, while claiming that OTHER hunters hunting a Different species in a similar manner is WRONG!

I do not want to see ANY hunter lose the ability to hunt the species they choose to as long as it is done in a LEGALLY ACCEPTED manner!

At the same time I do not want any other hunters, claiming that my hunting under a similar LEGALLY ACCEPTED, in this case shooting ANY species over bait is beneath contempt!

If hunting for any of us/for any species is to be saved, EVERY HUNTER, World Wide is going to have to stop finding lines of dsivision.

In simpler/clearer terms I am NOT going to suppport someone/anyone that tells me that their shooting an African Lion over a bait is NOT the same as shooting a Whitetail at a timed feeder!

Unless or Until all hunters World Wide understand and accept that all of us will be affected, we are going to lose. For one group of hunters to openly claim that a method they usae for hunting a species is perfectly acceptable, in this case BAITING, while another group of hunters using basically the exact same method are viewed as being parihias. That has to stop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No matter what form of hunting of whatever animal you choose( predators/herbivores over bait/ at night/ tracking/ with dogs, ad infinitum), there will ALWAYS be people who complain..

That is a fact, but when it is HUNTERS, who are ALL being attacked, why attack ourselves?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You must walk with a list carrying such a big chip around on your shoulder. Aaron posted a thread to have an informed conversation on lion hunting and you come in here and piss all over the floor. Give it a rest.

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
African Lion Hunting!!

Its been an interesting / hot topic for me for over 20 years now. I've seen all kinds of opinions / takes on it, and I just wanted to set the record straight. Frankly, this has been more of a FB issue than here on AR where most are more African "savvy". But....I still thought I would post it here for comment!

Africa really has 3 kinds of lion hunts available - but I was obliged to do this based on a post I saw today by a guy I like / respect, who owns a fabulous reserve in S.A., one in which he hunts lions too.

His claim was hunting "baited / wild" lions is just an example of shooting lions....not hunting them. Well, as you can imagine I could NOT disagree more. So here's my take on it.

#1: First off, we have the "canned lion" issue. Not an avenue I am especially fond of, but none-the-less, an option. Most of the ridiculous / big maned / fat lions one sees on social media taken by the bow hunter - tv personality is just this type of hunt. Its a S.A. hunt, done where the lion is raised its entire life in a "cage", literally a cage, fed by humans and conditioned to a lot of human presence. Immediately prior to the hunter's arrival - its released into a hunting block, 5,000 - 50,000 acres, and hunted / shot for sport. The lion is oblivious to the new surroundings, what's going on, where he is - or who the hell these guys are barreling down on him in mass? Its not a hunt IMO, its a shoot - where success is virtually guaranteed, thus these hunts are generally 5 - 7 days, with a lot of that just a show about tracking the lion, etc. Thus why they are mainly done in the Kalahari region of SA - we all could track a lion there. Often times they will send you pics of the lions, and you can choose which one you want to shoot?

#2: Reserve / semi wild lions. Lions in these areas generally live on 20,000 - 50,000 acres of high fence property, where they live / hunt and fend for themselves. Rarely / if ever, are these lion hunts not 100% successful. Especially in S.A., where like in my "friend's" case, the lions live on 22,000 acres of high fence. You are going to get your lion, its just a matter of when (most hunts here are 5 to maybe 10 days) and which one you get. I've personally done one of these hunts in the Limpopo of S.A. We hunted a 40,000 acre plus property, the lions were in there - and my success I never felt was really in question. It was not easy hunting (all tracking) but I knew we would eventually get our intended target, and after only a few days we did. I was very satisfied with this hunt, but I would never confuse it with a "wild" lion hunt.

#3: True Wild Lion Hunting. I've personally done 19 true wild lion hunts, taking 14 wild male lions - roughly a 75% success rate - which is IMO is higher than normal. I've also been with numerous clients on these hunts, with generally good success. With the exception of my Botswana lion hunt - all were done via baiting. Botswana was a rare example of a place where wild lions can truly be "tracked", simply because of the terrain conditions.

In most wild lion areas like Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, etc, tracking a lion is virtually impossible - even for the greatest of trackers. Its all Miombo woodlands, thick grass, rocks, and very little to no sandy conditions. What you see on NatGeo on the savannahs of the Serengeti is not reality in wild Africa.

The fact is, most of the wild hunting blocks are 250,000 to 1 million plus acres of completely wild / unfenced areas with terrible road conditions, tsetsee flies by the thousands and long days / nights, hoping to find a cat. Lions are predators, thus they are few / far between. First one must hope to find the lions, then hope to strategically place baits where the lion might find it, and then hope the lion will feed (sometimes they will ignore baits all together) and finally hope it is a suitable male that will actually feed in the daylight. These hunts are off-limits to night shooting, and predators are night animals - they know the gig, and they know to avoid human contact.

Nothing is smarter than a predator....period! I've seen wild lions do amazing things to avoid human contact. I've seen lions eat a bait once and NEVER return. I've seen lions only come after dark, I've seen lions walk up to a bait, inspect it and walk off, I once hunted a lion in Zambia we called the Chamakube King. For 2.5 weeks we tried everything to kill this lion....we slept all night in the blind to be there at daylight with no vehicle presence, we moved the blind numerous times - finally to 150 yards away. No matter what we tried, he only came to feed on the days we were not there (every time), if we were there he would never show himself. He knew exactly what we were doing every single time - we finally gave up and left him be.

My average success on baited / wild lions took 15 days, but on 5 occasions I spent 21 days hunting wild lions with no success at all. Jeremiah Bennett and I once hunted a lion in Tanzania for 23 days of a 21 day hunt. We extended the hunt, just hoping to get this guy - we finally did on the 23rd morning. He was one of the smartest lions I have ever seen, but finally he made a mistake.

Fact is, "baiting" a wild lion is much like hunting mtn lion with dogs. The "hunt" is the essence of what you are trying to accomplish, not shooting the lion at a bait - 60 yards away. To finally convince a big male lion to first find your bait, come to your bait, and return to your bait during daylight hours is the hunt - not the killing of the lion. Then to assure he's old enough, he's without dependent cubs, etc, is another game all together.

I've been skunked twice in Tanzania, once in Zimbabwe, once in Zambia and once in Mozambique - all on 21 day safaris. Anyone who would ever claim hunting a lion over bait is just shooting a lion.....has either little experience doing so - or has an alternate motive in saying so...period! They are without question....the toughest adversary I have ever faced in the wild - hands down!

OK, the above is all true, and I cannot find anything to disagree on.

Now let us look at it from the antis view.

As far as they concerned, ALL HUNTING SHOULD BE ELIMINATED.

There is no argument about that.

So if we go back to what Aaron posted above, why are some of us getting their knickers in the twist if someone wants to shoot a farm bred animal?

Notice I did not say "lion".

I meant all animals.

Because by getting on the side of the antis when it comes to "canned" lions, we are paving the way for them to start on other animals once lions are sorted out.

Think about it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, the above is all true, and I cannot find anything to disagree on.

Now let us look at it from the antis view.

As far as they concerned, ALL HUNTING SHOULD BE ELIMINATED.

There is no argument about that.

So if we go back to what Aaron posted above, why are some of us getting their knickers in the twist if someone wants to shoot a farm bred animal?

Notice I did not say "lion".

I meant all animals.

Because by getting on the side of the antis when it comes to "canned" lions, we are paving the way for them to start on other animals once lions are sorted out.

Think about it.

Agreed. 100%.

They want it all, they will take it in bits and pieces if that's the only way they can get it.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No matter what form of hunting of whatever animal you choose( predators/herbivores over bait/ at night/ tracking/ with dogs, ad infinitum), there will ALWAYS be people who complain..

That is a fact, but when it is HUNTERS, who are ALL being attacked, why attack ourselves?

You would do well to read what you write?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

You would do well to read what you write?

It is all to do with “do as I say, not as I do”! rotflmo

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
My answer to Aaron on FB ...
Aaron I have to agree with your assessments of the types of hunts. To each their own, and I don't want to downgrade anyone, but it really kills me when folks who have shot a #1 lion (completely captive reared cat) and try to play it off like it is a #3 completely wild lion. To me it is a disrespect for a wild lion hunt as I agree they are terribly difficult, and you are up against one of the world's toughest adversaries. If you do it, by whichever means, be truthful about it, and own it. It's your choice and as long a sit is legal, it's all good. Just don't misrepresent because there is an unbelievable difference in a #1 and #3 hunt.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is all to do with “do as I say, not as I do”!

That is a valid point Saeed.

The only problem I see and I really do not believe I am blinding myself, is that PERSONALLY I have No Problem with how another hunter chooses to hunt ANY ANIMAL as long as it is Legal.

I Do Not want to see those that enjoy Lion hunting, lose that ability.

I also do not want those folks to look down their pious noses and claim thay my shooting a "Free Range" white tail deer at a timed feeder is wrong, but their shooting a Lion over a bait is completely perfect.

I am not preaching or attempting to preach "Do as I say, Not as I do", I simply pointing out that as a group, hunters working at finding reasons to elevate themselves and their beliefs to a higher plane than hunters that do not believe as they do is only going to hasten the end.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must walk with a list carrying such a big chip around on your shoulder.

Well you are wrong, and you need to "Give It A Rest", because some of you folks are damn sure blind to the FACT that if hunting for ANY SPECIES is Lost, it will just make it easier to get hunting for OTHER SPECIES stopped.

Evidently some of you never comprehended the FACT that a decade or so back, the folks that want hunting stopped changed their game plan and are concentrating on getting it done "One species at a time" and it will work if hunters do not stop alienating each other.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
My answer to Aaron on FB ...
Aaron I have to agree with your assessments of the types of hunts. To each their own, and I don't want to downgrade anyone, but it really kills me when folks who have shot a #1 lion (completely captive reared cat) and try to play it off like it is a #3 completely wild lion. To me it is a disrespect for a wild lion hunt as I agree they are terribly difficult, and you are up against one of the world's toughest adversaries. If you do it, by whichever means, be truthful about it, and own it. It's your choice and as long a sit is legal, it's all good. Just don't misrepresent because there is an unbelievable difference in a #1 and #3 hunt.

If we followed the above advice, there would not be so many SCI INNER CIRCLES!

I bet most are shot after being captured, so the clueless, self glorifying idiots masquerading as hunters can have their name in some silly record book rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well you are wrong, and you need to "Give It A Rest", because some of you folks are damn sure blind to the FACT that if hunting for ANY SPECIES is Lost, it will just make it easier to get hunting for OTHER SPECIES stopped.

Evidently some of you never comprehended the FACT that a decade or so back, the folks that want hunting stopped changed their game plan and are concentrating on getting it done "One species at a time" and it will work if hunters do not stop alienating each other.

We are not talking about not hunting a species. We have been discussing whether hunters and hunting organizations should glorify and patronize particular methods of taking those spices. Methods many of us fill were never part of the hunting tradition and will result in the hunting of species to end.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
quote:

We are not talking about not hunting a species. We have been discussing whether hunters and hunting organizations should glorify and patronize particular methods of taking those spices. Methods many of us fill were never part of the hunting tradition and will result in the hunting of species to end.

Well, we have to thank that glorious organization claiming to be FIRST FIR HUNTERS!

They single handedly turn hunting into a competition!

And encouraged every idiot with money to enter whatever they wish in a record book.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
African Lion Hunting!!

Wonderful post Aaron - thanks from someone who has not and very likely never will get to hunt wild lions in Africa (though I'm hopeful that a mountain lion hunt is in my future!).

Two things about this statement.

First, antis will wonder why then, it's not adequate to expend all the effort described above and then click a nice picture and jet back to your cushy office in the states. I understand the kill, many do not and will pose the question.

Second, I think this statement gets to the heart of Randall's argument too. I once had a TX deer lease, where many of the deer were shot from stands overlooking feeders. When I first shot a deer like this, I wasn't terribly excited. Sure, it worked, I got a deer and put some great meat int the freezer. It wasn't until I had been a member for several years and had worked the land, cleared shooting lanes, set feeders, built stands and blinds, mowed mesquite to improve range conditions, in short came to understand the game and the land, that I truly appreciated the TX deer hunt experience. The "Hunt" is in the preparation. Perhaps that is why Randall appreciates it so - he does all that work. The hunter who shows up, shoots a deer from a blind, and leaves, is missing out on 90% of the baited/blind hunt.

Incidentally, in my several years associated with that lease, I don't recall a big buck getting shot at a feeders. Nearby, sure, but our bigger bucks were usually seen and shot in natural or man-made clearings that could be observed from a permanent or temporary blind. The big guys didn't stand around and eat tasty corn.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent post from Aaron regarding lion.

Too each his own but there is a difference between 1 and 2 and option 3.

It comes down to the definition of hunting.

When I hunt, no matter the species its not known or predetermined that I will kill something. I go out, do the best I can and hope to be successful. Sometimes the hunter is successful, sometimes not. This best describes option 3.

Options 1 and 2, it is pretty much determined you are going to be successful. Hunts for a few days, pick out the animal ahead of time etc. The end result has already been determined, you are going to get your lion. I'm honestly not sure if you can consider hunting when you know the result ahead of time.

I watched the documentary Trophy with my 15 year old daughter. Though it was a well balanced piece to looked at all sides. My daughter who is not anti hunting looked at the canned lions and asked, " How can people think that is hunting?"

As far as "hunting personalities" passing off SA canned lions as a spot and stalk of wild lions is an insult to both hunters and lions. You want to do it for your TV go right ahead, just let people know ahead of time.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 781 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
African Lion Hunting!!

Wonderful post Aaron - thanks from someone who has not and very likely never will get to hunt wild lions in Africa (though I'm hopeful that a mountain lion hunt is in my future!).

Two things about this statement.

First, antis will wonder why then, it's not adequate to expend all the effort described above and then click a nice picture and jet back to your cushy office in the states. I understand the kill, many do not and will pose the question.

Second, I think this statement gets to the heart of Randall's argument too. I once had a TX deer lease, where many of the deer were shot from stands overlooking feeders. When I first shot a deer like this, I wasn't terribly excited. Sure, it worked, I got a deer and put some great meat int the freezer. It wasn't until I had been a member for several years and had worked the land, cleared shooting lanes, set feeders, built stands and blinds, mowed mesquite to improve range conditions, in short came to understand the game and the land, that I truly appreciated the TX deer hunt experience. The "Hunt" is in the preparation. Perhaps that is why Randall appreciates it so - he does all that work. The hunter who shows up, shoots a deer from a blind, and leaves, is missing out on 90% of the baited/blind hunt.

Incidentally, in my several years associated with that lease, I don't recall a big buck getting shot at a feeders. Nearby, sure, but our bigger bucks were usually seen and shot in natural or man-made clearings that could be observed from a permanent or temporary blind. The big guys didn't stand around and eat tasty corn.

WHY THE KILL??? That's a question asked for decades by antis....it'll never change. Explaining why "we" kill to someone who has no conception of it is pointless IMO....they'll never get it. I kill because I have a deep-seeded instinct to "hunt / kill", and other personal reasons why I do it. I'm sure we all have our reasons. Your point isn't invalid...I just think the reasons why are so dis-connected between the two parties that any explanation falls on deaf ears.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Did you notice a difference in lion behavior between your "reserve" lion hunt and wild hunts?
I know its kinda apples and oranges with tracking versus baiting but I guess I'm asking whether the reserve lions acted more like wild lions or pen raised lions.

To me this type of hunt is more defensible than a true canned hunt.

As I understand it, each province in SA sets the minimum time from release of the lion to the start of the hunt. Does anyone know what the average is or what province requires the longest interval? Or frankly if these regulations are universally followed. How would a foreign hunter even know? I could see that having a lion loose on a game ranch for an extended period could become a very expensive proposition for the owner.

In his new book "From the Cape to the Kasserine" Boddington writes that his wife Donna did a lion hunt in S. Africa. He says that he was told that the lions while all introduced had been roaming the property for at least six months. He was also told that no lion on the property had taken more than three days to make a natural kill. The prime candidates were gemsbok, kudu and wildebeest. So, if my math is correct we are talking about an average of 60 large antelope being taken by one of these lions. That sounds like a big butcher bill.

Another thought that I had is that I'm not entirely convinced that these canned hunts take much pressure off of wild lions. I think that the people that have the resources to hunt wild lions hunt wild lions and those who don't hunt canned lions. I can't see a person that has the time and money to hunt wild lion to choose to go canned.

Any opinions?

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It wasn't until I had been a member for several years and had worked the land, cleared shooting lanes, set feeders, built stands and blinds, mowed mesquite to improve range conditions, in short came to understand the game and the land, that I truly appreciated the TX deer hunt experience. The "Hunt" is in the preparation. Perhaps that is why Randall appreciates it so - he does all that work. The hunter who shows up, shoots a deer from a blind, and leaves, is missing out on 90% of the baited/blind hunt.

Very well said.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:
As far as "hunting personalities" passing off SA canned lions as a spot and stalk of wild lions is an insult to both hunters and lions. You want to do it for your TV go right ahead, just let people know ahead of time.

I gotta be honest...this pisses me off! Perhaps a bit of a selfish point of view, but I hate seeing these huge maned / over-weight (obviously canned lions) posted on social media, or aired on youtube / tv, and passed off as wild lions. It is an insult...and its simply trying to deceive the un-knowing public for personal gain / glorification, at least that's my opinion. Its no different than shooting a 230" whitetail at a feeder in a high fence, and then portraying it to the viewing public as a wild / free range buck that one spent 10 days of hard hunting to get.

Just tell it like it is, so others know what they are watching and what their potential opportunities might be as well. My argument here isn't about "not doing it"....you've already done it, but to portray it as something its not is simply deceitful to the viewers. Then sometimes it gets worse....like, he just came across the Kalahari from Botswana, he was a nuisance / cattle killer and needed to be taken out, and my personal favorite was the "Driven" tv show with Pat & Nicole. She first explains to the viewers how they are now moving to another hunting territory where there are more lions "per square mile", ya no kidding! As she is exiting the truck with bow in hand to begin her "stalk" - surrounded by more guns than I have ever owned, the lion can totally been seen lying under the tree 80 yards away wondering what the hell is going on? Good heavens I about died!faint

I'm asked on occasion about some of my lions, and why I'm shooting small maned lions - compared to the big hairy monsters folks see on Facebook, youtube, etc. I just shake my head!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hutty:

I gotta be honest...this pisses me off! Perhaps a bit of a selfish point of view, but I hate seeing these huge maned / over-weight (obviously canned lions) posted on social media, or aired on youtube / tv, and passed off as wild lions. It is an insult...and its simply trying to deceive the un-knowing public for personal gain / glorification, at least that's my opinion. Its no different than shooting a 230" whitetail at a feeder in a high fence, and then portraying it to the viewing public as a wild / free range buck that one spent 10 days of hard hunting to get.

Just tell it like it is, so others know what they are watching and what their potential opportunities might be as well. My argument here isn't about "not doing it"....you've already done it, but to portray it as something its not is simply deceitful to the viewers. Then sometimes it gets worse....like, he just came across the Kalahari from Botswana, he was a nuisance / cattle killer and needed to be taken out, and my personal favorite was the "Driven" tv show with Pat & Nicole. She first explains to the viewers how they are now moving to another hunting territory where there are more lions "per square mile", ya no kidding! As she is exiting the truck with bow in hand to begin her "stalk" - surrounded by more guns than I have ever owned, the lion can totally been seen lying under the tree 80 yards away wondering what the hell is going on? Good heavens I about died!faint

I'm asked on occasion about some of my lions, and why I'm shooting small maned lions - compared to the big hairy monsters folks see on Facebook, youtube, etc. I just shake my head!

Pat & Nicole?

Are they on MY KITCHEN RULES TV show?

They sound as if they should be.

Hunting is most definitely not for them.

That is why I gave up watching TV hunting shows!

They nothing of the sort!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rxgremlin:
Aaron,

Did you notice a difference in lion behavior between your "reserve" lion hunt and wild hunts?
I know its kinda apples and oranges with tracking versus baiting but I guess I'm asking whether the reserve lions acted more like wild lions or pen raised lions.

To me this type of hunt is more defensible than a true canned hunt.

As I understand it, each province in SA sets the minimum time from release of the lion to the start of the hunt. Does anyone know what the average is or what province requires the longest interval? Or frankly if these regulations are universally followed. How would a foreign hunter even know? I could see that having a lion loose on a game ranch for an extended period could become a very expensive proposition for the owner.

In his new book "From the Cape to the Kasserine" Boddington writes that his wife Donna did a lion hunt in S. Africa. He says that he was told that the lions while all introduced had been roaming the property for at least six months. He was also told that no lion on the property had taken more than three days to make a natural kill. The prime candidates were gemsbok, kudu and wildebeest. So, if my math is correct we are talking about an average of 60 large antelope being taken by one of these lions. That sounds like a big butcher bill.

Another thought that I had is that I'm not entirely convinced that these canned hunts take much pressure off of wild lions. I think that the people that have the resources to hunt wild lions hunt wild lions and those who don't hunt canned lions. I can't see a person that has the time and money to hunt wild lion to choose to go canned.

Any opinions?

Man, that's a great question! Although the reserve (40,000 plus acres) had several males and females too, we never saw any sign of them other than tracks and heard them roaring at night. They were definitely shy of people. I honestly never asked specifically (I was trying to keep it as real as I could) but from what I saw from the tracks - there was 4 males on the property. Two that traveled together, and two that were loners. They all seemed to have their own "territory" if you will.

The lion I actually shot was obviously a known lion - but had lived for almost 3 years on the reserve - on his own. They knew he was the oldest and wanted to target him specifically, but were not opposed to shooting the other loner too (the other two males had only been on the reserve for about 3 months). They had not actually seen the male I hunted in months....as this part of the Limpopo is thick bush/woodlands, but obviously knew where he liked to live - based on his tracks / knowledge, etc.

We tracked him for 2 days....he knew we were following him, and he did a tremendous job of staying out of sight. We would catch glimpses of him, but he would quickly move off trying to avoid us. We ended up pushing him into the other loner's territory and that's when they got into the huge fight - rolled off the bank into the river, and I was finally able to see / shoot him, while the other male stood over top of him.

They definitely inhibited "wild" lion traits, that's for sure. To me the only real difference was, knowing he was there everyday - I was 100% confident it was only a matter of time before we got him. I never really felt as though success was ultimately in question, but I also knew he wasn't living in a pen the week before I got there either.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hunting on a farm, no matter what animal, and no matter how big the farm is, it is never the same as hunting in the wild.

It boils down to one thing.

And that is in my mind, I know there is a fence around.

That, by itself, takes the ultimate edge off hunting.

It has nothing to do how difficult the hunt is, or how far one has to track and follow an animal.

It is just KNOWING that I am hunting on a farm.

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

It just different for me.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:

- Aaron Neilson

I think you could add 2 additional categories although they may not exist in actuality, but could:

4) High-fenced wild lions (actually, I am guessing the Save Valley and Bubye Conservancies offer this). But this could be offered on a smaller scale with just enough animals to offer up one 6 YO male and one 6 YO female per year. The cost to feed all those lions might raise the price of such lions to significantly higher than wild lions but this may be a way forward.

5) Wild lions -- no baiting. No one does this I suppose, but just walking through lion areas until you come upon a 6 Y/O or older lion and taking it would be the ultimate hunt experience, I would think.

Expanding on option #4, I think it would be acceptable in still regarding the lions as wild if either the game that was made available to them to eat was farm raised -- even livestock - as long as the release points weren't always the same so the lions didn't just sit there waiting for the gravy train to arrive and as long as the land area was large enough so the each pride had enough elbow room to wander around in. Again, such a form of hunting might turn out to be very expensive but should acceptable to all sides except for the rabid antis.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Hunting on a farm, no matter what animal, and no matter how big the farm is, it is never the same as hunting in the wild.

It boils down to one thing.

And that is in my mind, I know there is a fence around.

That, by itself, takes the ultimate edge off hunting.

It has nothing to do how difficult the hunt is, or how far one has to track and follow an animal.

It is just KNOWING that I am hunting on a farm.

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

It just different for me.

I can't disagree with that!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
quote:

- Aaron Neilson

I think you could add 2 additional categories although they may not exist in actuality, but could:

4) High-fenced wild lions (actually, I am guessing the Save Valley and Bubye Conservancies offer this). But this could be offered on a smaller scale with just enough animals to offer up one 6 YO male and one 6 YO female per year. The cost to feed all those lions might raise the price of such lions to significantly higher than wild lions but this may be a way forward.

5) Wild lions -- no baiting. No one does this I suppose, but just walking through lion areas until you come upon a 6 Y/O or older lion and taking it would be the ultimate hunt experience, I would think.

Yes sir, I certainly thought about the Save and Bubye too - but just figured my post was long enough already. Smiler

I've personally hunted lion on the Save....it was spectacular. These lion are most definitely wild...arguing otherwise would be tough in my opinion.

Wild lion - no baiting....I've done that too. Did it in Botswana in 2007 - it was one of my best lion hunts ever. But it does take in my opinion a certain terrain type to be relatively successful (Botswana's sandy conditions are perfect for it) that's not found everywhere. Not saying it can't be done elsewhere, but its tough.

The real issue however is, this hunt would make it extremely difficult to properly assess the lion you are about to shoot. Baiting / trail cams have really helped with this issue tremendously, making it more likely to see / look over and assess the lion before you shoot it. Doing so when tracking a lion.....good luck!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com