Notify
Tools

Hornady DGS/DGX Performance
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
...That question should be kept to yourself because you are essentially calling them a liar...are you not???
...Does my position make sense or am I off here?

Perry

Perry,
only in an "either or" world. Mike respected the feedback of both parties, and did not proclaim one more truthful than the other. He took the feedback as presented, said, nicely, that they are 180deg apart, and that the results, from two respected sources, confused him.

When things look like a paradox, you have to change your assumptions.

No one was called a liar.. He didn't choose a result and call the other foul. He said the results aren't clear, and the bewildered means BEWILDERED, as in "wow, that's a difficult thing to decide from the data given"

Seriously, your initial post read as if Mike had called one of them a bald faced liar, which is not the case.

You assumption is wrong, and the actions following the wrong assumption, regardless of how right, are wrong.

Besides, if Mike called either fella ANYTHING, they would have no doubt as to his perspective, even if it took them a second to figure out that he had called them out.

chill.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is a field report! Check this out, near the end of his report!
Hornady bullets

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:

I hope Ganyana's new position at Norma Bullets is working out well.

I have great respect for both Ivan and Ganyana (met them both albeit briefly). I've always loved their posts, informative and to the point so I have no issues with the seemingly divergent points of view. Dave your post challenging Ganyana's was fine as well; until the last line. Uncalled for and an obvious attempt at challenging integrity. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I apologize for jumping your ass over a bullet topic, pretty stupid in retrospect.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to all

Sorry for stinking up this thread.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Perry, I would not sweat it for a nano-second. Absolutely no big deal.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As said on the other thread,
probably a good whitetail bullet.
But with one out of three losing its core completely when impacting a few inches of topsoil at 2096 fps ...
And all of them losing the cores completely at anything over 2100 fps impact velocity ...
Not the best of odds for DG.
Maybe if the cores were bonded?
Might act like a Woodleigh RNSN then?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
shooting bullets into dirt only proves they can hold up in dirt! Its an ok test but doesnt mean much.

Tsx expand perfectly in dirt but go through buffalo like solids Ask SAFARIKID about his last 2 buff with 570TSX .510 (and His Alaska Brownie) I shot my 63" kudu with .375 tsx and he didnt even flinch on any shot they werent perfect shots but the trackers said I missed but their were 3 holes for 3 shots in the kudu once found.

A lot depends on caliber and speeds but if you make it to complecated you will just confuse yourself when you should be concetrating on bullet PLACEMENT. (iam speaking from experience)

I prefer Woodleighs but at the time for me woodleighs were sold out So i went with the Hornady's in .458, I had 600gr woodleighs in my 500 but only shot paper & then dirt with them once i landed in S.A. I am not saying hornadys are the best but they work. And its not that big a deal if they break up the damage will be so massive it will still be a kill shot. (just look at my hippo I just shot with the DGX in the head it f__ked him up (wait till i get the video of it) The shot was low and 25yds on a steep hill down. pics are posted in a report, you can see the shot in the pic. So if you already have a load and are shooting them accurately dont go changing last minute, If you have the time(months or years) just go with Woodleigh they are low cost high quality.

NONE of my DGX OR DGS seperated like the picture. I was shooting mine into a 55gal plastic drum filled with sand. Sand was wet with rainwater. All shots were 10-100yds at 2200fps I will see if i can go back and dig some up I will post pics if I find any that havnt been hit by other bullets now.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These threads tickle me to no end. I started reading it last night and today I looked through one of Selous's books. He just waxes poetic about how lethal his 461 gibbs single shot was on everything including elephants. The load!!!! A 540 grain solid (that means a hardened LEAD bullet) with 80 grains of BLACK POWDER. He said he was a little hesitant at first to use it on elephants but after he found it to be utterly reliable on everything including cape buffalo Eeker he decided to try it on elephants. So he just merrily killed 4 the first day and then shot two more the second day. He noted that on the side brain shot it killed as if the elephant had been shot with a field gun clap.

I guess all those animal have gotten a lot tougher over the intervening 100 years or so. May be they have just read tooooo much AR and now know that anything less that a bullet made of triple hardened unobtainium jacket with a core of depleted uranium will simply bounce off. pissers

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
els,
Selous got 45/70 "Hammerhead" performance with his 461 Gibbs 540-grain cast lead bullets acting like solids at 1400-1500 fps?
They would certainly penetrate better on an elephant than the DGX at 2100 fps.

BIJOUCREEK,
Referring to SAFARIKID's "penciling-through" TSX bullets must recognize that they were shot from a very short-barreled 500 Jeffery
and at 180-yards plus on a brown bear for one instance.
Impact velocity was about 1800 fps or less for the .508/570-grain TSX.

They did not open up, probably tumbled and went out the other side base first and corkscrewed a bit first.

The XLC would do the same at that velocity.
But these .509/570-grain XLC's open up like a parachute when impacting at about 2300 fps on a bison.
They were found under the hide on the offside on a chest shot, repeated after death for two recovered, one at 50 yards live, one at 25 yards dead:

Get the TSX bullets fast enough and they will perform well as softs.
Not so the DGX.
I have rifle-killed enough moose, bison, water buffalo, and cape buffalo to know a bad bullet when I scratch it out of a few inches of dirt.

One of Us
Picture of BIJOUCREEK
posted Hide Post
RIP

Yeah it was a short bbl 500j but it was still throwing them at 2200fps. I know, I loaded them and built the rifle. and to me 570gr bullet at 2200fps how much faster do I want it, if they dont open with that there is a problem. Buff were 120yds they should have worked better. Yes i could install a 24" bbl and push it to 26-2700fps just to get the bullet to open? lets all just shoot woodleighs at 2250 impact velocity, and we will all be happy and have one shot kills.

When looking at my PH's gear and bullets my DGX looked like they had the light of God on them compared to his 458 and 375 bullets they looked like just a bushel basket of stuff from who knows what make or how old (soft, solids, lead, copper, and he uses this shit to defend his life and hasnt got killed yet. Its mainly about shot placement, but we all like to have the best and the greatest stuff ever built, even though it probably doesnt make that big a deal.

I want a bullet that is solid copper that expands from 500-3500fps perfectly, and has super high b.c. and doesnt fowl my bbl. and shoots in the same hole everytime even if I dont aim.

Posts: 155 | Location: Byers Co | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the insinuations as to who people think are who.

Eles. I owned one of Selous rifles (sold by Holts a couple of years ago in London) and played a bit with it. Have some of his notes etc that were never published. Selous couldn’t take a frontal brain shot with his .461. That feat became possible only after he got a .303 (and he published to that effect). He also notes he lost two good bulls when the .461 failed to drive through the front leg on one and presumably hit the zygomatic arch on the other – it was a side brain shot from a dodgy angle. Selous never went back to the big bores once he had discovered the .303 - So the 1880’s hammer head was no more effective than the modern ones-

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:
I love the insinuations as to who people think are who.

OK, I will go out on a limb and guess you are referring D.F. congratulating Ganyana on his new position at Hornady. I guess it is you who has the position at Hornaday, and not Ganyana?

Mr. Fulson is not the first to confuse you two. Several years ago I had an older P.H. from Zimbabwe tell me that he believed that "Ganyana" was the nom de plume(maybe alter-ego is more fitting) of Don Heath.

I have wondered if this PH was correct as Ganyana sent me a email from an email address that I believed was yours. I guess I was mistaken.

So I am left wondering, who is "Ganyana"?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason- I work for Norma Precision and my email is don.heath@norma.cc if anybody wants to talk to me. I used to be the editor of African Hunter magazine - a position now held by my friend Ira Larivers.

When the new book from Rowland ward comes out authored by Ganyana, I think it will muddy the waters even more. I was not mature family man hunting in the Zambezi Valley as a contemporary of John (Pondoro) Taylor or Ian Nyschens in the 1940's and 50's Wink

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
to all

Sorry for stinking up this thread.

Perry

Good man!!! thumb

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I for one am thankful for Hornady and their interest in the 'African ammunition" line.

Especially in the component arena and offering loaded ammunition for 1/2 or less then the price of their competitors.

Their brass is of good quality and I hope they will offer 375 H&H Flanged Mag in their future lines.

Competition is great and those who have sponsers have an obligation to their sponsers. Their involvement with their sponsers and feedback for using the products only benefit us all.

I like all the choices and just beware of the sponser affiliation when deciding which product to use.

I kind of learned the hard way on Dakota Arm rifles when they were a sponser of some well known TV hunting show. The ordering and waiting for these rifles to be built were a nightmare.

Just do your research and utilize the wealth of information on this website, like the original poster of this subject is doing, and the choice is yours.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
I'm not sure dirt is a good test for performance on live game, unless shooting a golem.

John
. animal Is that a Golem as in Lord of the Rings type golem rotflmo animal

Now i forgot what I was going to post .. Thanks for the laugh John , I needed that ...... rotflmo

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not sure dirt is a good test for performance on live game, unless shooting a golem.

John

Methinks more likely a Terry Pratchet fan.

Oh, and dirt is more forgiving than elephants Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would you guys compare an elephants bones/skull to if you were comparing it to a like material? Dense wood, soft steel, hard steel, etc...?

Perry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What would you guys compare an elephants bones/skull to if you were comparing it to a like material? Dense wood, soft steel, hard steel, etc...?

Perry

Perry,
The only like material will be: Elephant
You will get nowhere with any other comparison. Wink

Hopefully the DGS is a better solid than the DGX is a soft.
Of course no one in his right mind would consider shooting an elephant with a DGX "fragmentation eXpander."
Fragging an elephant is a horrible thought.

No good will come of fragging buffalo either, though with all the mud on a dagga boy, dirt has some applicability as a severe test of softs for buffalo. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little off topic but to Bretts question I have seen lots of ads lately on the new Hornady (TSX Copy it appears) I have no ax to grind with anyone but have used the Barnes TSX a lot and find it never fails. I will continue to use it. Why change. Also, it seems like a virtual copy of the Barnes bullet. Is there no patent, etc. to apply here?

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Maybe a little off topic but to Bretts question I have seen lots of ads lately on the new Hornady (TSX Copy it appears) I have no ax to grind with anyone but have used the Barnes TSX a lot and find it never fails. I will continue to use it. Why change. Also, it seems like a virtual copy of the Barnes bullet. Is there no patent, etc. to apply here?

Do you know the name? It seems a knock off for sure. I'm with you. I'm sold on Barnes, but if someone builds a better mouse trap who am I to argue? I think they are an alloy rather than pure copper. Other than that I'm not sure. PS what mags and months have you seen the adds?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
quote:

John

True, but you wouldn't use an expander on a pachy would you? Not that the test was without merit, I just don't think it would be an adequate comparison to live game. Using a buff for an example, 4-6 feet of penetration can be had with a TSX, but I don't think I have ever seen one go through 6 feet of dirt. Come to think of it, as tough as elephant skull is, I never seen a solid go through 3 feet of dirt either.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:

Do you know the name? It seems a knock off for sure. I'm with you. I'm sold on Barnes, but if someone builds a better mouse trap who am I to argue? I think they are an alloy rather than pure copper. Other than that I'm not sure. PS what mags and months have you seen the adds?

Brett

Hornady has been advertising it as the "GMX"
as in: "Gilding Metal eXpanding"
It is made of a type of brass!

Plastic ballistic tip and monometal gilding metal instead of copper like Barnes Tipped-TSX.

What advantage to use gilding metal instead of copper?
Less fouling?
Will the metallurgy of gilding metal allow any other advantage in more reliable expansion and retained weight ... or will it be worse? Wink

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=792

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Gilding metal is a copper alloy, comprising 95% copper and 5% zinc. Technically, it is a brass.

Gilding metal is used for various purposes, including the jackets of bullets, driving bands on some artillery shells[1], as well as enamelled badges and other jewellery

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
quote:

John

True, but you wouldn't use an expander on a pachy would you? Not that the test was without merit, I just don't think it would be an adequate comparison to live game. Using a buff for an example, 4-6 feet of penetration can be had with a TSX, but I don't think I have ever seen one go through 6 feet of dirt. Come to think of it, as tough as elephant skull is, I never seen a solid go through 3 feet of dirt either.

John

His point was that the dirt ain't going to stop you to strawberry jam, even if your bullet fails.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

His point was that the dirt ain't going to stop you to strawberry jam, even if your bullet fails.

How very true, dirt is most dangerous when you are experiencing a parachute failure.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perry

A fair question...and no simple answer.

Traditionally Charlie Haley (our Police forensics man) and I have used an elephant front leg bone backed by wet newspaper. - Unfortunately, the dryness of the bone has a great effect on how well bullet punch through it. A bone more than a week or so old is much easier to shoot through than a real bone.

Charlie obtained a whole bunch of condemed ceramic balistic plates. They were suposed to stop 7.62x39 ( some did Wink) We obtained a whole bunch of nylon packing sacks. and put 4" of sacking in front of the plates and then 6" of sacking behind the plate - followed by our usual wet paper.

This had the advantage over a leg bone in that it was repeatable (every bone varies in size age etc). Unfortunately the plates are pretty much flat so they do not simulate the usual cause of big bore failure - bullets hitting the bone on the curve and deflecting or tumbling.

Anyway, Known performers went straight through.
Known dodgy rounds failed. (eg PMP solids from the .375 only penetrated 4 out of five tries)

Unfortuantely the Zimbabwe police bought better balistic plates and our source of free material dried up!

The question of penetration on ele is always about a poor angle shot. From a clasic broadside or straight on, the bullet actually has (relatively) little to impede it. You could quite safely use a Bares TSX out of your .416 for those shots.

Things go wrong and bullets fail when somebody gets the shot wrong - like the ele has his head up and the appie PH puts the bullet through the tusk and into the brain (we had three failures on this exact shot in the last 5 years). In a way this is why we see so many bullet failures on the Proficiency exam- Candidates are often forced to make poor angle shots- far more so than clients or even the PH backing said client.

If anybody comes up with a scientifically correct and repeatable test media...I would love to know

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote