New
Find
Notify
Tools

DSC in Atlanta
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We flew to Atlanta yesterday for the GA SCI fundraiser . I took the opportunity to ask the driver about crime around the convention center where DSC will be held in January . . If what he says is true, crime is much less of an issue than some believe .

Thought I would pass that along .

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Are you asking about “crime” in the city in general or “crime” within SCI?? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
DSC recently addressed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcILvdH9NuE

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Did they forget DSC is all about TEXAS??!!
I ain't goin to Atlanta, and I am letting my membership in DSC expire!!
TRUE...

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that's a bit of an overreaction, but I may go to SCI for a year or two. I'm a life member after all.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I’ll be there

Posts: 1245 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Carjackings seem to be the most rampant type of random urban crime these days.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and will not be going to Atlanta, I wish them the best but personally, I think it is a huge mistake to abandon their traditional exhibitor/attendee base in Texas. Time will tell!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2771 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
My wife and will not be going to Atlanta, I wish them the best but personally, I think it is a huge mistake to abandon their traditional exhibitor/attendee base in Texas. Time will tell!

That’s where I am. I wish them luck, but I’m going to SCI.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That’s where I am. I wish them luck, but I’m going to SCI.

Yep…hotel reservations made!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2771 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'll be taking a pass on DSC this year. No interest in going to Atlanta.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d go but I have a conflict.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Do I get the impression that some palms were greased to go there?

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Do I get the impression that some palms were greased to go there?

Something went on, and no one is talking.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Something went on, and no one is talking.[/QUOTE]

I imagine the folks in Atlanta made some pretty good concessions to get them to book multiple years. I’ve heard all of the compelling reasons for the move, none made much sense to me. I spoke with a board member about it and got the same old story about “having” to move because no place in Texas could accommodate a show this big. After a year or two in Atlanta there may be a lot of Texas venues large enough to host the show. Weatherby leaving says a lot to me. Damned shame, but I hope they see what is happening return to the club it was. Not a week goes by without a call or message from someone lamenting the direction of the club.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
My wife wants to visit relatives in Tennessee and I am thinking about taking in a couple of day at the SCI convention while she visit her cousins that she has found while doing the genealogy tracking.

She just needs to make up her mind and we will look at doing something driving over and making a return trip in a different direction.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1578 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Something went on, and no one is talking.[/QUOTE]

I imagine the folks in Atlanta made some pretty good concessions to get them to book multiple years. I’ve heard all of the compelling reasons for the move, none made much sense to me. I spoke with a board member about it and got the same old story about “having” to move because no place in Texas could accommodate a show this big. After a year or two in Atlanta there may be a lot of Texas venues large enough to host the show. Weatherby leaving says a lot to me. Damned shame, but I hope they see what is happening return to the club it was. Not a week goes by without a call or message from someone lamenting the direction of the club.[/QUOTE]

So sad to see DSC going the same route as SCI!

Members and common sense no longer matter.

Some nincompoop in charge thinks he is a big shot and signs multi year contract??

Totally ignoring their base?

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Just part of the trend back to only rich people being able to afford safari hunting. Money talks.

Posts: 4859 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see today that Weatherby has moved their Weatherby Award to SCI Nashville for the next 9 years. Hmmmmm

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 932 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think there is little doubt that DSC would have had to move from the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Center at some point . Emphasis at some point . It is in fact being torn down. However , the move was no where near as urgent as management has represented. After all, TTHA is having an event there on the same dates as DSC.

I totally get the TX issue . Management has indicated that there was no location in TX that could accommodate the DSC convention. True or not I do not know . I do know they absolutely misrepresented the availability of the KBH Convention Center.

Time will tell how this move fares for the club.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I think there is little doubt that DSC would have had to move from the Kay Bailey Hutchinson Center at some point . Emphasis at some point . It is in fact being torn down. However , the move was no where near as urgent as management has represented. After all, TTHA is having an event there on the same dates as DSC.

I totally get the TX issue . Management has indicated that there was no location in TX that could accommodate the DSC convention. True or not I do not know . I do know they absolutely misrepresented the availability of the KBH Convention Center.

So basically, they screwed up.

On purpose!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I was president of the Northwest Chapter of SCI, ie Seattle, so was on the the International Board during the split off of Dallas and Houston. VERY TUMULTUOUS, and I knew the people, painful!!
Seems like DSC has gone full circle with the new officers and board, who might not fully understand the strings they are pulling??

SCI has had TUMULTUOUS Times too, but right now, it seems to me they have it together with present CEO and leadership... so they get the cherry with WEATHERBY FOUNDATION going back to their roots with SCI??!!.... "What goes around.... "

We are cruising Africa, so we won't be at either event... and sadly, because I have a standing table invite at the Weatherby event, and I enjoy it... Black Tie n all!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2573 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

BS that no other place could handle the event. Houston and San Antonio both could have. Now if the dates they wanted were available that's a different story. And the BS about San Antonio under construction too, they just finish a huge addition. They are talking about adding another Story to the building, that would not interfere with any convention.

All I see from the ad on TV are the distance from various southern cities to attended.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect your last statement is the real reason for the move .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI coming to Nashville was great in terms of attendance and hunts sold.

Atlanta is the largest city in the South.

The works is bigger than Texas.

The old regime had started reaching out chapters and members outside of Texas.

As long as you guys keep crying about Texas international hunting will always be a “small people” to quote Peter O’Toole’s TE Lawrence.

I joined SCI because they came East first.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
SCI coming to Nashville was great in terms of attendance and hunts sold.

Atlanta is the largest city in the South.

The works is bigger than Texas.

The old regime had started reaching out chapters and members outside of Texas.

As long as you guys keep crying about Texas international hunting will always be a “small people” to quote Peter O’Toole’s TE Lawrence.

I joined SCI because they came East first.

Small people? Seriously? And you have never been to the conventions? Or really hunted internationally outside a couple of trips to Europe? You are quite full of yourself sir and what I consider an armchair expert of the first rank. Do we still have the "ignore" button? A better definition of small people might be those who don't have the experience but are full of self-assured opinions...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously, why do you think deer hunters in Pennsylvania do not understand international hunting.

It is bc the main advocates complain it is not a Texas Club.

Walks right into the left hook of staying small within the understanding of a larger demographic.

It is part of the reason MeatEater feels the need to separate from international hunting.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seriously, why do you think deer hunters in Pennsylvania do not understand international hunting.

Walks right into the left hook of staying small within the understanding of a larger demographic.

It is part of the reason MeatEater feels the need to separate from international hunting.

What? What do Pennsylvania deer hunters have to do with DSC's move? And they don't understand international hunting because you think DSC is a Texas Club?

Your arguments are obtuse at best, ineffective and churlish at their worst. And your spelling is atrocious!

No one is arguing about it being a "Texas" only club... it hasn't been for twenty plus years.

And how many DSC conventions have you attended? Or SCI Conventions? Many of the folks who posted their opinions here I know and have seen personally a the shows over the years, yet you come on this thread with no experience with it whatsoever and call people small? Even better you say we don't understand the demographics? What an arrogant prick you are.

And I could care less what some TV celeb like Meateater thinks...

I don't know what caused your dislike of Texans but you can rest assured I don't have a particularly high opinion of you either. I see you as an AR contributor at it's worst! There is my right hook...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell, you are wasting your energy typing when dealing with him. He is a well educated idiot, that knows nothing about the realm of international hunting.

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now now guys…. This isn’t the political forum

He has a right to his opinion.

There is certainly a valid point to be made about a general perception to most that DSC is TX based as it’s in the name….
They just grew out of it a bit.
There is a branding issue/problem with this especially when trying to differentiate against SCI

There’s no need to beat each other up over the perception or opinions

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
And I have a right to mine...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
And I have a right to mine...

You do indeed… you seem to be rather adamant about it
A bit touchy I dare say

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
As a Life member and long time exhibitor, I ask where will they get all the DSC volunteers to work the show? I can't see volunteers traveling to Atlanta, paying for lodging and other expenses just to volunteer. I am pretty sure there were other venues in north Texas that could have been used. Something stinks about this. Time will tell, but I do not believe much of the local Texas crowd will travel to attend.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1245 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M.Shy
posted Hide Post
It’s good for you Texans to get out past state boundary once in awhile
Builds a character and you’ll find out, there is other people outside Texas

Posts: 150 | Location: Idaho & Montana & Washington | Registered: 24 February 2024Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Shy:
It’s good for you Texans to get out past state boundary once in awhile
Builds a character and you’ll find out, there is other people outside Texas

It's only been 3 months or so but I'm still waiting for AR's newest troll to make a single post of value to the membership.

coffee

Kinda makes one miss ole Shootaway! At least he was entertaining at times.

Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m currently in Zimbabwe, have visited with several outfitters, both on the plane over and in camps. To a person, no one likes the decision but most are going to try it one year. Some say they are planning on trying the show in Dallas. Time will tell.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

What? What do Pennsylvania deer hunters have to do with DSC's move? And they don't understand international hunting because you think DSC is a Texas Club?

Your arguments are obtuse at best, ineffective and churlish at their worst. And your spelling is atrocious!

No one is arguing about it being a "Texas" only club... it hasn't been for twenty plus years.

And how many DSC conventions have you attended? Or SCI Conventions? Many of the folks who posted their opinions here I know and have seen personally a the shows over the years, yet you come on this thread with no experience with it whatsoever and call people small? Even better you say we don't understand the demographics? What an arrogant prick you are.

And I could care less what some TV celeb like Meateater thinks...

I don't know what caused your dislike of Texans but you can rest assured I don't have a particularly high opinion of you either. I see you as an AR contributor at it's worst! There is my right hook...

Good response and Texans are some of the finest individuals I have ever met

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This strikes me as being an outcome when leadership is excessively influenced by marketers and loses track of its core group.

Yes, DSC is about international hunting. Yes, it is a national organization.

But it’s core in its name is Texas, and it’s big differentiation from SCI is/was that it was primarily a volunteer club.

Moving from its roots and expecting a new city to come front and center to replace all the volunteers is in my mind, unlikely.

That we have ex leaders of a group of volunteers who can’t get a sense of what is behind this is concerning.

I hope DSC continues its success, but this is beginning to sound like the kind of issues that caused DSC to split from SCI in the first place- lack of local accountability.

Posts: 10663 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
As a Life member and long time exhibitor, I ask where will they get all the DSC volunteers to work the show? I can't see volunteers traveling to Atlanta, paying for lodging and other expenses just to volunteer. I am pretty sure there were other venues in north Texas that could have been used. Something stinks about this. Time will tell, but I do not believe much of the local Texas crowd will travel to attend.

Great question.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a Life member and long time exhibitor, I ask where will they get all the DSC volunteers to work the show?

I asked the Atlanta convention chair, and board director this very question…his answer was that DSC “was going to roll out the red carpet for volunteers”. I’ll bet.

Karl Evans