Find
Notify
Tools

Four horn sheep
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Devildawg66
posted
Just got a proposal from a Namibia rancher who is offering "Four Horn Sheep" on his trophy list for $550. Anyone have any pictures of these critters. Might be something different to hang on the wall.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
I did not mount this sheep but I thought it was a good picture.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Confused This is a trophy animal ? From Africa ??? For $550 ??? Frowner

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these animals feral? There is a domestic four horned sheep that looks a lot like this?

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Jacobs Ram to me..........

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Known as a Jacob's sheep, old world from the
middle east. You can find them on every game ranch from Texas to Ohio.
Sound like an enterprising rancher checking to see how gullable some hunters really are. thumbdown
To me its like
traveling clear across to Africa and shooting
a fallow deer. shame
Not for me but what ever floats your boat. shame

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
I am reasonably sure there are way more of these in the US and, unfortunately, they probably are as difficult to hunt--which is however difficult it is to shoot a slow,poor visioned, domestic sheep. That is a nice looking mount, tho

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like a Jacobs Ram to me..........

Yes they are, and you can get these in the US for about the same price or cheaper. I'd stick to the "African" animals in Namibia

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who raised some in Odessa, Texas. Hunting them would have been the equivalent of hunting your lawnmower.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I raise Jacobs sheep. It is similiar to to a Jacobs but looks a little different. Might be another breed or a cross. Most likely it's domestic though.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I had a friend who raised some in Odessa, Texas. Hunting them would have been the equivalent of hunting your lawnmower.

rotflmo

mgun

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew a veterinarian who had some of these on a small farm in the Seattle area. Totally domesticated.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Confused Confused Confused

Is this a case of someone trying to recreate Texas ???????????

I believe that I would follow the advice of shooting African Game when in Africa. My wife and I are raising Barbado, Painted Desert, and other hybridized domestic offshoots of the Mouflon, and I don't know if those animals would ever revert to a wild enough state anywhere to make hunting them an adventure. JMO

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Those things are not even popular in Texas. I know they are around, but the demand is not even that great for them here, much less in Africa.

I would imagine the addition of the four horned sheep to an African safari would only cheapen the experience.

Just my thoughts ... I have been wrong before.

Posts: 6254 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
After my buddy nailed an African Wildcat on a ranch in Hoedspruit South Africa. Everything became African Wild animals. The land owners dogs.The helps milk goats. When ever we see domestic animals, we still jokingly refer to them as African wild-.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Those things are not even popular in Texas. I know they are around, but the demand is not even that great for them here, much less in Africa.

I would imagine the addition of the four horned sheep to an African safari would only cheapen the experience.

Just my thoughts ... I have been wrong before.

I agree with you. Same as the "Texas Grand Slam" of sheep - mostly pets gone wild.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote