one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Trax,

If you missed the Stu fundraiser, try this:
http://dscfrontlinefoundation.org

To date, has Mr Taylor received any of these funds from DSC?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I can only assume it was brought up because some here are rediculously conspicuous in there avoidance of reality.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
you are such a pest Gibbs.
I'm telling you, hunting is hunting and it can happen to best of us.
If I got you into a pub and had couple of beers with you, I would definitely convince you, these things can happen.
It's called Browbeat
I'm serious.
" FAMOUS LAST WORDS? IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME "
YEAH, RIGHT.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
you are such a pest Gibbs.
I'm telling you, hunting is hunting and it can happen to best of us.
If I got you into a pub and had couple of beers with you, I would definitely convince you, these things can happen.
It's called Browbeat
I'm serious.
" FAMOUS LAST WORDS? IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME "
YEAH, RIGHT.

You two should do that. 505 is a good bugger but his humour is slightly abstract and very dry.

Of all the people I have met and spent time with he ranks amongst the best.

His family values and moral conduct are faultless.

If you two decide to have a drink one day then please invite me along.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
" FAMOUS LAST WORDS? IT"LL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME "YEAH, RIGHT

never ever said that, quite the opposite, the incident being discussed scared the sh*t out of me. I was never comfortable with the popular "Africa carry", totally went against everything I was taught as a child, this incident changed the gun I carry so that I do not have to worry about it anymore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:

never ever said that, quite the opposite, the incident being discussed scared the sh*t out of me. I was never comfortable with the popular "Africa carry", totally went against everything I was taught as a child, this incident changed the gun I carry so that I do not have to worry about it anymore.

What gun did you carry and what gun are you carrying now ?

I agree africa carry is good for pictures and sweeping everyone.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African carry is muzzle forward over the shoulder, right?

Can't say I have had an issue with it. Keep your hand near the muzzle and keep your eyes open. It also helps if you stay at the front of your group. I thought the rule was control your muzzle and never point the gun at something you would not be willing to destroy...

I had more rifles pointed at me in ROTC than anywhere else. So what if they were loaded with blanks or empty...

While I agree that Mr. Herald failed in his gun safety, I can't say that I have been charged at point blank range in thick cover either. I would like to think I would do better, but I also realize that things happen, and better to remember that one is better off to avoid casting stones and use the example as what to avoid.

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

I carried traditional bolt actions, loaded chamber, on "safety", spent most of my day with it pointed with at least 1 in my party. Last trip carried an 1895 with loaded chamber but hammer down (not "cocked"), felt much safer, when it was time to shoot, pull the hammer and shoot. It would not appear to me that "Africa carry" was directly responsible for the TH/ST incident, but what happens when you become so comfortable pointing your loaded muzzle at another's back? I would contend that your attention to full time gun safety suffers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gibbs,

Your admitting that you pointed a loaded gun at someone most of the time you hunted!?! Shame, shame. You didn't listen to the instructors very well.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Which incident? Tim Herald?

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I carried traditional bolt actions, loaded chamber, on "safety", spent most of my day with it pointed with at least 1 in my party. Last trip carried an 1895 with loaded chamber but hammer down (not "cocked"), felt much safer, when it was time to shoot, pull the hammer and shoot. It would not appear to me that "Africa carry" was directly responsible for the TH/ST incident, but what happens when you become so comfortable pointing your loaded muzzle at another's back? I would contend that your attention to full time gun safety suffers.

I only carry a bolt without a round in the chamber. I will chamber a round when I am on the sticks or about to shoot. If I miss anything because of the noise or time to chamber a round I can live with that. Just saves money on trophy and taxidermy anyway.

The blaser r-8 with the remove able trigger is an excellent innovation.

Why doubles don't much excite me - walking around with 2 in the chamber.

I also like to see the gun handling of my ph - I am not a big fan of being swept or sweeping anyone with any firearm especially a big bore.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also like to see the gun handling of my ph - I am not a big fan of being swept or sweeping anyone with any firearm especially a big bore.

You're supposed to stay behind the PH - that way, if anyone is going to get plugged it sure as hell won't be you.

Does anyone have any ratios on the number of clients who got accidentally shot by their PH? ...... just curious.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
quote:

I only carry a bolt without a round in the chamber. I will chamber a round when I am on the sticks or about to shoot. If I miss anything because of the noise or time to chamber a round I can live with that. Just saves money on trophy and taxidermy anyway.

Mike

Mike,

Some of us do not walk around with our doubles loaded. I might hold a couple of cartridges in hand and only load if I feel that it is warranted.

You will see.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hunt long enough, and you WILL be swept by a loaded rifle!

PHs have my sympathy, as they have to hunt with people of unknown ability around firearms.

There are some PHs who are not very safe either.

One of the silliest tricks I have seen is dropping the firing pin on a live round and leaving it in the chamber.

The theory is all one have to do is pull the bolt up and down and one is ready for action.

How that is supposed to be easier or quicker than pushing the safety off is beyond me!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68600 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

You're supposed to stay behind the PH - that way, if anyone is going to get plugged it sure as hell won't be you.

Does anyone have any ratios on the number of clients who got accidentally shot by their PH? ...... just curious.

I always do

But I have seen enough hunter footage of cool ph walking ahead off everyone with his rifle carried African style turning around talk to client or into the video sweeping everyone as the gun stays Africa style on the shoulder

With Leon duPlessis at save safaris and Jason bridger at kanana/tholo I was never once swept in 28 days total in the field - to me that is one of the signs of professionalism.

I bet more clients have AD but then you already know the main requirement of hunting afica is a checkbook Cool

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Hunt long enough, and you WILL be swept by a loaded rifle!

The voice of experience. If you do not want to "sweep" someone on a safari or be "swept" you should plan to stay home. It happens even with people that are extremely conscientious. Walking through brush, bending over, stooping to get around something . . . it just happens and you are kidding yourself to suggest it does not. And while it may be wonderful to never have had a PH "sweep" you (and you would expect that to be the case since the PH is typically in front of you), I can assure you that if you pay attention the PH will occasionally "sweep" the trackers.

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Now that I recall
Nixon always had his bolt gun on sling and on his shoulder all the time and so did I, except of course when we were ready to kill things

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I almost feel like introducing this with the words, "Submitted for your approval . . . ", as Rod Serling used to do.

A few of the many things that one should learn to avoid in this life:

1. Equating 20-20 hindsight in a perfect vacuum with the blurred vision of impending doom in the very moment.

2. Criticizing things about which one knows nothing.

3. Insisting that someone (or indeed, anyone) must be to blame for anything and everything, and that accidents don't happen.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone actually seen real evidence that a cosoed uncocked bolt over a chambered round can cause an AD? I have read many times that it is possible but I am yet to read of an authentic factual case.

In NZ we do not use safeties primarily because we hunt very steep and thick bush where you can expect to slip, trip, fall a few times a day.

Here we hunt with a round in the chamber and an open bolt - just close the bolt, aim & shoot. For me it is quicker than using a safety!

When walking from one area to another I sometimes carry the bolt uncocked on a chambered round - rifle usually on a sling.

quote:
One of the silliest tricks I have seen is dropping the firing pin on a live round and leaving it in the chamber.

The theory is all one have to do is pull the bolt up and down and one is ready for action.

How that is supposed to be easier or quicker than pushing the safety off is beyond me!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11182 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There was an article about 10 years ago in ManMagnum (if that's the name of the South African magazine?) that related tests in which loaded rifles which had bolts slowly closed with triggers depressed, were then dropped butt first from a couple of feet.

The conclusion reached was that many rifles will fire... and more than one (until then unexplained) death was most likely thereby explained.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I almost feel like introducing this with the words, "Submitted for your approval . . . ", as Rod Serling used to do.

1. Equating 20-20 hindsight in a perfect vacuum with the blurred vision of impending doom in the very moment.

3. Insisting that someone (or indeed, anyone) must be to blame for anything and everything, and that accidents don't happen.

"Accidents do happen"

Good words for a lawyer to remember, huh?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
loaded rifles which had bolts slowly closed with triggers depressed, were then dropped butt first from a couple of feet.

The conclusion reached was that many rifles will fire...

Spot on Judge! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:

"Accidents do happen"

Good words for a lawyer to remember, huh?

Yup. And everyone else, too. coffee

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13612 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:

With Leon duPlessis at save safaris and Jason bridger at kanana/tholo I was never once swept in 28 days total in the field - to me that is one of the signs of professionalism.

Mike

I will never claim that I've "swept" a client - at the start of my PH career I was also inexperienced, but fortunately that was many years ago. Big Grin

The real "golden rule" of firearm safety is to never ever, not even in a "sweeping" motion, point the barrel of a firearm at anything that you do not want to kill. If you strictly adhere to this rule, even if you do have an AD, there will not be an accident!

I quote an extract of the "Hunt Rules" that every single one of my guinea fowl hunting clients gets a copy of.

The other side of good safety is good shotgun social behavior. A gun that always handles a shotgun in such a manner that his fellow hunters never worry about his safety is always welcome. In fact only such guns are welcome on any of my hunts. The good shotgun handling manners is essentially required to comply with condition (3) above (about due consideration for his fellow hunters). Guinea fowl hunting is a social sport and I wish to say a few words about behavior when handling a shotgun in a group environment. Be over-elaborate in at all times visually demonstrating that you are aware at all times where your barrel is pointing to. Make very sure that the other hunters can easily see that you are conscious of where your barrel end is pointing. The “middle of the sky above you” or ground right at your feet are good places at which to point your barrel. But then so is a bird [with enough lead] against a blue sky background. Wink

After many years of attempting to adhere to this advice it does become second nature - and only then a hunter can hope to get such a nice testimonial about his firearm safety as Beretta682E gave two of his PH's! My congratulations to the PH's involved - Leon and Jason, you are welcome, and invited, to join one of my guinea fowl hunts! Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
Has anyone actually seen real evidence that a cosoed uncocked bolt over a chambered round can cause an AD? I have read many times that it is possible but I am yet to read of an authentic factual case.

In NZ we do not use safeties primarily because we hunt very steep and thick bush where you can expect to slip, trip, fall a few times a day.

Here we hunt with a round in the chamber and an open bolt - just close the bolt, aim & shoot. For me it is quicker than using a safety!

When walking from one area to another I sometimes carry the bolt uncocked on a chambered round - rifle usually on a sling.

quote:

While this is off the original topic I feel I should answer this now. The very thing being questioned, an AD from from a firearm being carried uncocked with a round in the chamber and firing pin resting on the primer.
Yes I have very first hand knowledge of just such an AD happening. One of my staff while he was out hunting on his own late last year was carrying a Marlin X7 270W, live round in chamber and uncocked as apparently he always does when hunting alone. He was walking in a creek bed, tripped and the muzzle of his rifle hit a hard rock in the bank next to him as he fell forward. The rifle discharged and he copped bullet and rock shrapnel all down the left side of his body, left arm pretty beat up and sight gone in left eye. His little dog riding in his backpack and who usually looks over his right shoulder had early got hit by the rifle barrel when carried slung so it was looking over his left shoulder but somehow missed being injured.

My staff member managed to walk the kilometer or so back down the creek to his camp and vehicle, packed up his tent and gear and then drove to the nearest farmhouse for help. Rescue chopper was called and flew him to hospital. Still has some shrapnel in his left bicep, fortunately the bullet shrapnel that penetrated through his eye was off centre a bit so the retina was saved but the lens had to be removed and hopefully a new one will be attached in about 12 months time. In the meantime a contact type lens has given him back about 80% vision in his eye.

The sudden sharp halt of the forward movement of his loaded rifle imparted enough momentum to the firing pin to fire the cartridge. As a firearms safety instructor I teach that this is not a safe way to carry a rifle.

As pointed out by JudgeG a rifle carried in this manner could also fire if dropped hard on its butt, a fact very ably demonstrated by an instructor many years ago in a big city police station here in NZ where he created an AD by thumping an SMLE rifle on the floor. No harm done except he used a FMJ military live round instead of a blank. Now that was dumb.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

Some of us do not walk around with our doubles loaded. I might hold a couple of cartridges in hand and only load if I feel that it is warranted.

You will see.

Good Andrew cause I tip much better when you don't sling a loaded double rifle over your shoulder african style and once in a while sweep me or your trackers with it Wink

THe blaser r-8 with a remove able trigger seems more more appealing to me.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

You will see.

Good Andrew cause I tip much better when you don't sling a loaded double rifle over your shoulder african style and once in a while sweep me or your trackers with it Wink

Mike

Curious, how do you feel about tipping if you are squashed because you and your PH had an unexpected encounter with dangerous game in thick brush and both of you were hunting with unloaded rifles?

Mike

Posts: 21643 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

You will see.

Mike

Curious, how do you feel about tipping if you are squashed because you and your PH had an unexpected encounter with dangerous game in thick brush and both of you were hunting with unloaded rifles?

Another lyrical example of Mr. Jines cutting through the bullshit. Sorry. I want one in the pipe. Selfishly speaking, I simply can't imagine a world without me in it. Just sayin...Smiler

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Mike,

You will see.

Mike

Another lyrical example of Mr. Jines cutting through the bullshit. Sorry. I want one in the pipe. Selfishly speaking, I simply can't imagine a world without me in it. Just sayin...Smiler

Jeff

+1 It doesn't do much good if unloaded!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am never going in DG country without a loaded gun nor would I go with a PH who keeps his unloaded.

Yes, I am a chicken s#@t!

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am never going in DG country without a loaded gun nor would I go with a PH who keeps his unloaded.

Yes, I am a chicken s#@t!

+1

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I am alive (or at least not severely injured) because I had a loaded .458 Win. Mag. in my hand when a buffalo, to that point, unseen and unprovoked (at least by me), decided that he wanted me dead. He was about 45 feet from me when he burst from his bed, full out and hooking.

The buff wore the remainder of a wire snare on its leg, probably explaining the charge, but surely not slowing him down any. No one else was in a position to shoot him and he wasn't coming at anyone else either.

So... as for me, I'll do like Larry Shores, 'cause I'm not keen on the buffalo clan (or an elephant or lion or tiger or Viet Cong) having a second chance.

JMHO

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look if you are going to do the African carry thing, do it properly. Make sure you have your shirt unbuttoned, lots of bangle bracelets on your wrist, and shorts with a 3" inseam. It also helps if you have long blond hair as well.

At least when you get stomped by a Buffalo you will look good during the process. All macho and mangled and such.

tu2

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be argumentative but I don't see the problem with the "African carry" if done properly. Hell, I can see exactly where my barrel is pointed all the time. I move it if it appears that I am going to sweep someone.

The problem with the "African carry" is those who place the gun on their shoulder and never move it no matter where the gun is pointing. I have been swept many times by more than one PH doing this. I do not like it at all.

Slightly off the subject but some PH's really drive me nuts when they place the recoil pad on their foot and their hand over the end of the loaded gun. I cringe every time I see that.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The problem with the "African carry" is those who place the gun on their shoulder and never move it no matter where the gun is pointing. I have been swept many times by more than one PH doing this. I do not like it at all.

+1

Now for me to really stir it up. All these ph and clients with their heavy double rifles would be much better off with a sling Cool hauling a heavy double that balances well for long time suits the African carry style. Scope guns don't balance well enough for African carry.

I love my Velcro German leather sling.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

+1

Now for me to really stir it up. All these ph and clients with their heavy double rifles would be much better off with a sling Cool hauling a heavy double that balances well for long time suits the African carry style. Scope guns don't balance well enough for African carry.

I love my Velcro German leather sling.

Mike

I can't tell you how many times I've found myself looking down the muzzle of another hunter's rifle while it was on a sling over his shoulder. Elevation changes where he is lower than me, when he bends over to pick up something relating to tracking, etc. Even just allowing the sling to slide back a little bit points the muzzle right at my face. The worst part is with the rifle on a sling and over his shoulder, he has NO IDEA where the muzzle is! With the African Carry, one always knows where the muzzle is if paying attention the way you should.

But unfortunately this is just another AR horse issue.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:...some PH's really drive me nuts when they place the recoil pad on their foot and their hand over the end of the loaded gun. I cringe every time I see that.
I do exactly this when pausing on tracks, but use my thumb to cover the end of the rifle, gripping the barrel securely. This way I have control over the muzzle direction, take responsibility for where it is pointed, and it won't drop.

Of course, there are other ways to do it. Big Grin

Anybody ever lean their rifle against a tree or the only bush around only to have to fall? How about the side of the Cruiser?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've found myself looking down the muzzle of another hunter's rifle while it was on a sling over his shoulder.

Being only 5'6" I don't have that problem.
Being short also comes in handy for slow dancing with tall women!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've found myself looking down the muzzle of another hunter's rifle while it was on a sling over his shoulder.

Being only 5'6" I don't have that problem.
Being short also comes in handy for slow dancing with tall women!

But Cecil, ask any of your 6'2" buddies that have hunted with you about looking down your barrel!

I've got a shorter friend I elk hunt with just about every year. I swear I'm always looking down his muzzle. Doesn't matter if we are going up or down. If I'm above him on the slope, climbing or descending, I get a real good view of his muzzle from time to time with it slung over his shoulder.

The fact is putting a rifle over your shoulder on a sling DOES NOT eliminate sweeping of the others in your hunting party. The African Carry is NOT more prone to sweeping others in and of itself. Both methods require one to remain vigilant as to where their muzzle is pointing at all times. Personally, I find that with the African Carry, I'm more tuned into where the muzzle is pointing. On the shoulder with a sling and it's too easily forgotten about for moments at a time. Reason being that the African Carry is an active carry method while a sling is passive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But Cecil, ask any of your 6'2" buddies that have hunted with you about looking down your barrel!

That's what the SOB gets for setting his beer on my head!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote