Find
Notify
Tools

Back ... sort of.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Today is the first day I can read or type without sever headaches.

Day 11 of a 15 day hunt in Western Tanzania found me a bit foggy and irritable. Couldn't put my finger on it. In the blind that evening, I laid down and the blood was pounding in my head. Walked about a mile back to camp after dark and didn't want to eat (strange for me).

Took a shower, and it hit, I felt like I had been hit by a train. Full blown rigors, uncontrollable shaking and chills. Bone pain, joint pain, skin ached, muscles ached. I piled two blankets on top of me that night, but it only helped the chills, nothing else.

The next morning it was clear. I had malaria. My PH and the man I owe my life to, Scott Kendal, came in the tent with a small box of medicine. "Take two of these."

The symptoms progressively got worse, to a point that I knew I was in danger. I asked for the satellite phone, I called MedJet Assistance. Told them who I was where I was and what was wrong. I told them I would arrange the charter to get me to the hospital, and asked which hospital they wanted me to go to.

They called back in 10 minutes and said. "We are sending the Flying Doctors from Nairobi to come get you. Where is the airstrip?"

2:15 pm, John (another ph in camp) loaded me and a small backpack with a change of clothes, passport, wallet and camera into the land cruiser for the unbearably painful 40 minute drive to the airstrip.

As we pulled onto the airstrip, the cruiser died, not to be restarted while I was there. We had enough momentum to coast off the strip, out of the way of the plane. I hope John made it back to camp ok.

John asked, "How are you doing?"

I was on the good side of consciousness, but not for long. "Not well, I need to lay down or I will pass out."

They opened the cruiser door, and I laid just outside the truck until I heard the whine of the Beech King Air engines spool down beside me.

I was able to get up and walk to the plane, but that was about it.

These guys are top-notch. Professional, prepared, fast and courteous. I can not say enough good about this organization.

The EMT on the plane asked if I wanted him to start an IV to reduce the fever. Sure.

It was rough, and I got very tired of him sticking my hand with the needle, I was bleeding all over the place and finally took my hand away and told him, "No thanks." I can't fault him, it was a rough ride and he did the best he could. He felt bad and apologized profusely.

We landed in Nairobi about an hour and a half later. The ambulance backed up to the door of the plane and they helped me in. (Ambulance was a mini-van with a plywood "shelf" to lay on.) We cleared customs and immigration on the tarmac on our way out of the airport.

We were going to The Nairobi Hospital, which seemed to make the EMT from the Flying Doctors pleased. They are one of the best facilities in East Africa (They say).

They put me in "Casualty" (The ER) and I wait in a room with three other patients for about 4 hours. A nurse puts an IV needle in my hand and prepares it to attach to an IV (in the 30 hours I was there in Nairobi hospital, I never got hooked up to an IV). The doctor comes in and asks me the normal questions, listens to my heart etc. Says it looks like I have Malaria.

after 4 hours, they want a chest X-ray. I made it through the 15 seconds it took to stand for the X-ray, but that was all she wrote for this day. They put me on a gurney and wheeled me to my room.

This is Africa and I realize they do not have the money to operate a hospital like the US, so I will not criticize them. They were all kind and as helpful as they could be. I thank them all for their assistance and their professional attitude. But I wanted out!

Whitney, with MedJet Assistance phoned while I was in the ER. I spoke with her and told her to "Get me out of here!" They did what they advertised they would.

I had to wait until the next evening to leave, but that was probably best as I could not have traveled that day.

The next evening, a nurse from The Flying Doctors came to my room and transported me to the airport. They were prepared, the had everything arranged, ambulances, wheelchairs etc. She carried a medical bag with just about anything I might need.

We were to make the transfer on British Air in First class, where the seats fold flat into beds. She would ride in the seat next to me, checking on me, and handling all the logistics of travel. She did a wonderful job.

As we got off the plane in Dallas, the EMT's me us at the gate with a gurney. They were there with two US Customs Officers. Customs was not going to allow me in the country because they were unsure what Malaria was. We assured them I was not contagious and they were satisfied. They accompanied me through customs and immigration, and were very pleasant and very helpful.

Straight into ICU at Baylor Grapevine Hospital. The doctors had been briefed on my condition and were prepared. An ICU bed had been reserved. They were ready for me.

The difference between African and American hospitals became quite obvious at this point. I was hooked up to all the monitors and IV's that they could find a place for. After an hour, straight to radiology for a spinal tap to check spinal fluid for any remaining parasites or possible meningitis.

That was not fun.

The Infectious Disease Doctor wanted me to stay in ICU for 3 days. I got sprung from ICU a bit early because I promised to be good and that I would keep them informed.

Yesterday, I went to the ID Doctor for my follow-up checkup. It was not until this point that I realized what condition I was in. Only at this point that I really became scared.

He said to me."I didn't tell your wife this in the ICU because I didn't want to scare her, but ... you are a very lucky man. You should have died. If it were not for your friend who gave you the medicine in camp, you would likely be dead now."

"Of all the types of malaria you could get, you got the worst one, falciparum This is 100% fatal if not treated quickly. Your case had spread to cerebral malaria. The medicine given to you in camp on the morning you were evacuated, saved your life."

Americans do not have the generations of immunity to the malaria parasites Plasmodium (P.) falciparum. People born in Africa, with a family history of fighting malaria have a better chance at fighting the parasite than Americans (they still require medical treatment for this particular parasite, or death is very likely). In fact, when Japanese people get this, they will almost always die. They do not survive, despite being treated.

I am tired. I sleep all night and get up to eat. Today, after breakfast, I went back to bed at 10:00 am for 3 more hours of sleep. I do not have the energy to do anything. The headaches are better, and I am improving, but it will be a while.

At this point, I am just happy to be alive.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
Glad you are OK. Sounds like a real oedeal.
What was the medicine you got in camp.
Were you taking any preventive medicine?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Welcome home Wendell. Thanks God you made it. I guess there is no question whether or not I buy Med-Jet.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes, Wendell, glad you are going to be OK. Hope you recover fast. Please do give us the details on the medications used/not used.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear you're recovering well Wendell.

Please let us know what meds you were on before and after the adventure.

All the best,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Glad to hear you are OK. Was anybody traveling with you? Did you have anyone to help you while you were in the hospital in Nairobi? Did you receive any kind of medicine/treatment while in the Nairobi Hospital?

Anyone who does not get Medjet is just stupid. I keep it in full force year round. It works here in the US as well as overseas. I would rather recuperate from an auto accident in my local hospital than in some other city hundreds of miles away.

http://www.medjetassistance.com/

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your illness but very glad you are pulling through.

Get some rest and update us when you can.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I noticed my MedJet renewal notice on my secretary's desk today and didn't say anything about it. Tomorrow, the check will be in the mail.

Folks, MedJet isn't just for Africa. It works in the U.S., too. There is even a motorcycle policy that will transport your bike.

Funny, but I was corresponding with Graham at HHK about MedJet today. He is a believer, also.

A suggestion:
Copy the instructions for a claim... It has telephone numbers, etc. and as soon as you meet your PH, give it to him... and to anyone else who can read (for obvious reasons.. i.e. if the lion eats your PH first). Do this so they can get in touch with the folks and get you to a 1st class medical facility (or home).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was with Wendell. I believe he received Arinet.

I received his double rifle!

But it has to go back

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Wendell, I am speechless. We all focus on the obvious 4-legged dangers, but my God if you didn't get whacked with the worst one of them all. No doubt you have been close to the edge, glad you made it back. You also convinced me that I need MedJet for all my trips. Get well, Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wendell, welcome and prayers for a speedy recovery...
Want to hear all about your trip this January in Dallas...

Looking forward,

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Get well soon.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wow, welcome back and hope you have a quick and complete recovery. I just added the Medjet site to my "Favorites".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell glad you made it back safe. I cannot imagine what you went through. I have a question for you. Did you not take the malaria medication before the trip in either shots or pills, or did they not work for this strain. Hopefully there is some kind of medication that you can take to prevent this strain.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Wendell, God speed your recovery.

Just out of curiosity: were you taking any anti-malaria pills on the trip?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Knowing his views on Larium, I'm betting Wendell was taking Malarone. Nothing is 100% effective.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Glad you're all right--or getting that way. Take it easy and slow.

Any further details you can provide and any advice you can give us as to how to avoid this will be appreciated by all, I know.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Wendell,

Man, what an ordeal...and waaaay too close a call. Best of luck with your recovery.

Take Care,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are recovering so well. Best wishes on your continued recovery.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Without question I will have this plan before going on my next trip! I am praying for you and glad that you are on the road to recovery.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wendell: Just you taking the time to put your message out to us shows us your innate strength and determination. We are praying for you. Get well. The Lord works miracles and this definitely was one of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty scarey.

Get well soon, Wendell.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Hope your recovery continues as quickly as possible. Like others, I have a ton of questions (especially since I plan on being in the exact Kigosi camp in 10 months!), but will hold off to you gain your bearings.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
Get well soon!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Wendell, best of wishes on the recovery. We are all glad to hear that you are doing well and will recover. I will certainly keep you in my prayers.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Jumpin' Jesus on a popo stick! Glad you're okay Wendell.

How was your hospital stay in Nairobi covered, BTW?

[note to self, be sure to renew Medjet for Lisa and self]

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Wendell

I am very glad to hear you got through it and are recovering.

Hopefully we can also use your story in the future for those persons who think catching malaria is not a problem and there is no need to take regular medication when on safari.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Glad things worked out on getting to a US hospital. Get well soon. Looking foreward to seeing you at DSC.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
Thank you for the wake up call. I for one would never have given the threat of malaria its due without your story. We often read of folks coming home in a bit of a funk, with "malaria" type symptoms. I never knew. Thanks also for the uplifting story. I know God watches over all of us, and I pray he'll continue to do so. Get well soon.

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern California, USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Glad you have recovered from malaria. It is bad to have it any time, but, while hunting is certainly one of the worst.

The idea of having medical insurance while on a safari cannot be over stressed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68663 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hang tough Wendell! On the positive side, your ordeal has certainly saved a couple of lives. Those of us who read your story are real believers now; malaria medication and MedJet renewal.

Definition of an "adventure": a f#*k-up that you survive. Wendell, you did indeed experience an adventure.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shit Wendell! Take care, take the time to get better!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

Its good to hear from you again. After we spoke by email a couple of days ago I was worried when I did not hear from you after my response. I'll send you another email next week after the storm. My buddy and I can't wait to get to Namibia with Vaughn.

I hope you get well soon. If I need to do anything, just let me know.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are doing better. I will keep you in my prayers and your family. Life is so fragil we need to really be grateful for the time we have.

Take it slow and rest. I will miss your posts but knowing that you will make a full recovery is a comforting thought.

Stay well and positive.

John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CRAP-SHIT.......Thats all I have to say

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just one question, Wendell. Were you taking any of the malaria prophylaxis drugs? If so, which one?

Thanks for the heads up. Beleive me, it is a classic case made for the purchase of med-evac insurance.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take care of yourself. That's some nasty stuff.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I am in awe... My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
God Speed on RECOVERY and do not rush it. When your brain clears the AR family can again learn through our trials about some of the dark sides of Africa. Malaria prophylaxis and its benefits and down sides being one of them. The medication your PH gave you was God working in mysterious ways or just a savy PH. Hang in there and we look forward to learing from "one of us" on the school of hard knocks.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell,

speedy recovery lad.

mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote