THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    POLL: Method of Carrying Rifle While Hunting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: Method of Carrying Rifle While Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Check out the carry method used by the chap in the beret at 1:01 to 1:07 on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw_FutaEd08

Question:
Would you use this carry method?

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
Is carrying a bolt rifle uncocked with a shell chambered and the firing pin resting on the primer a safe method of carry?

Choices:
Yes
No
Maybe
No, it is crazy and could get someone killed.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
As for the guy carrying the gun, I don't do it that way but I know what he's doing. With a couple of quick movements he can have the rifle up on his shoulder and be wrapped tightly in the carrying strap to add stability to the rifle for a shot.

The second question was answered presuming the firing pin was really resting on the primer. With most guns this wouldn't be safe. With an inertial type firing pin with the rifle uncocked, it would be safe.

Three rifles safe to carry in this manner would be the Thompson/Center Encore or Contender and the Blaser R93.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot righthanded. When just walking I carry muzzle down, sling on my left shoulder, round in the chamber, magazine full, safety on. When getting close, I wrap the sling around by left arm and point the barrel muzzle down, at a low ready so to speak. It's quick and eliminates any overhead movement of the barrel, swapping of hands etc.
When in the truck, bolt down on empty chamber, full magazine, safety off.
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
A magazine published in South Africa (Magnum?) had an article about 10 years ago in which the author dropped several types of rifles on the butt with the action not cocked, but closed on a live round. They fired.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't wear a beret it won't work....period.

I wish I could catch fish this easy when I go offshore! Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Shikaar
posted Hide Post
Hey that's Peter Capstick isn't it?

Posts: 16 | Location: TX, PA, UT, JBURG | Registered: 07 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
As for the guy carrying the gun, I don't do it that way but I know what he's doing. With a couple of quick movements he can have the rifle up on his shoulder and be wrapped tightly in the carrying strap to add stability to the rifle for a shot.

I too have used that carry on occasion, when the bush was tight, and we were getting close to Buffalo, or elephant. Your left hand already has the forestock griped, and with a twist, the rifle is off the shoulder, and in fireing postition, without even lowering the barrel below head hight of anyone in the party. That is not a carry that one can use for long periods of time, nor I would make a habbit of carrying that way all the time, but it is safe, and and efficient, when things get real close while using a bolt rifle. I didn't not vote because there is no correct answer to that question!

The carrying of a bolt rifle with the fireing pin down on the primer of a live round, bolt handle up, or safety on is only safe if the barrel is carried at port arms, and only when aproching a dangerous game animal at close quarters.

SO I didn't vote for or against either question, because it all boils down to the cercumstances. The safest way to carry a rifle when closeing on dangerous game in tight cover, is LOADED, and ready! Anything else if a fool's game! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
That's Capstick alright from Hunting The African Cape Buffalo video of the sportsman on film series.

I use slings on my rifles and muzzleloaders. I frequently track and still hunt deer in Ohio where I live, so quick shots are common for me. This method of carrying a rifle/muzzleloader allows me to only use one hand to control my gun while having it close and quickly available. My other hand is free to glass with binos, move brush out of my way, or anything else. If I feel a shot is eminent I take the gun off my shoulder and hold it. If I'm walking without any expectation of shooting I use a sling like everyone else. I don't use this technique all the time, but it has its place.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching the DVD made from Robert Ruork's 1953 African safari. I loved the film, but was horrified by the continual use of the "African carry", where the gun is carried horizontally on the shoulder and grasped by the forward facing muzzle. This carry was used by everyone including Ruork himself, Harry Selby and assorted trackers and gun bearers. I'll swear on numerous occasions, an AD from the last guy in the line would have killed the entire hunting party with a single shot. Next to that, Beret Boy looks positively benign.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Carrying a rifle, with a loaded round in the chamber, and the firing pin resting on the primers, is very dangerous, and sooner or later, it is going to go off.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I am very traditional carrying weapons, supported on the shoulder and finger away from the trigger. I do not usually carry insurance, but if I go very attentive to everything around me and I make sure that a lot of what I'm going to shoot is an animal that I can hunt. The weapons are very serious and over-confidence can result in an accident with serious consequences.

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think the "Capstick Carry" is the silliest thing PHC ever came up with.

If there's any reasonable chance I will need to take a quick shot my rifle is in my hands; if I'm in or entering brush it's in my hands with the sling removed.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10423 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Robert Ruark,s Video was full of rifle handling errors with muzzles pointing everywhere. Not just in the use of 'The African Carry' over the shoulder.

Capstick, the unit in the beret was pure showman and not much more.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
I just finished watching the DVD made from Robert Ruork's 1953 African safari. I loved the film, but was horrified by the continual use of the "African carry", where the gun is carried horizontally on the shoulder and grasped by the forward facing muzzle. This carry was used by everyone including Ruork himself, Harry Selby and assorted trackers and gun bearers. I'll swear on numerous occasions, an AD from the last guy in the line would have killed the entire hunting party with a single shot. Next to that, Beret Boy looks positively benign.

When the rifle is on your shoulder it does not point straight ahead, but out and down. So if the rof;e is on your right shoulder it naturally points off to the right, and vise versa for the left shoulder.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I more than often carry my rifle the same way as the guy in the green tee shirt, over the shoulder with the barrel pointed up.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:

When the rifle is on your shoulder it does not point straight ahead, but out and down. So if the rof;e is on your right shoulder it naturally points off to the right, and vise versa for the left shoulder.

JPK

JPK is absolutely correct, the so-called PH carry is not unsafe at all, and the only time I use a sling on my bolt rifle is for very long treks in open country. I almost never carry a double rifle with a sling, and I do carry PH carry most of the time,with a double, but I do not point my rifle at anything I don't intend shooting! It makes absolutely no difference how you carry your rifle, as long as you do not point it at other people, or yourself! Roll Eyes

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It makes absolutely no difference how you carry your rifle, and long as you do not point it at other people, or yourself!

And this is surely the case!

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the African carry is that you know exactly where the muzzle is pointing. If you choose to practice safe gun handling, that's up to you. I prefer to carry at port arms whenever tracking because I think it's fastest to get on target. Your mileage may vary.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
PHC's carry method is my favorite. Easiest to carry, easiest to bring up for use.

I would not use the firing-pin down on a live-round deal.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my tracker carried mine last week. He and my PH both carried them over the right shoulder with the muzzle pointing forward. Insisting on carrying your rifle before the game is sighted and the sticks are being set is idiocy and the sign of a first-timer. You simply cannot pack a 10+lb rifle up and down all day and be able to react quickly on game. My tracker had the rifle of the right shoulder and the sticks on the other. When Myles said "sticks" the tracker handed me the rifle and set the sticks up for the shot. When I asked, I was informed that the horizontal carry is standard in Africa.
I was also informed that triggers did not fire themselves, it took human intervention.

Rich
Buffalo Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Insisting on carrying your rifle before the game is sighted and the sticks are being set is idiocy and the sign of a first-timer. You simply cannot pack a 10+lb rifle up and down all day and be able to react quickly on game. My tracker had the rifle of the right shoulder and the sticks on the other.

Carrying your own rifle while hunting is certainly not idiotic. If you can't carry your rifle and get on target when the time comes, you should probably consider another pastime.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Carrying your own rifle while hunting is certainly not idiotic. If you can't carry your rifle and get on target when the time comes, you should probably consider another pastime.[/QUOTE]

..............Amen! I'd be interested to know what would happen if this guy had to carry a 13 pound 577 double rifle, plus a loaded ammo belt in the hilly country of Zimbabwe's elephant country up north! Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Triggers can be pulled by more than human hands: holster straps and tree branches/limbs come to mind quickly.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where Idaho Sharpshooter was hunting, Charlton McCallum's Makuti concession, is very hilly (actually mountanous, but they call them hills), very rough terrain right at the Zambezi Valley Escarpment, with lots and lots of elephants. But it is relatively open country and bumping into an unseen elephant herd or a bull or two would be unlikely, unless maybe you were walking some of the rivers.

I am a proponent of carrying your rifle. Ain't no good when you need it and it is disapearing, along with the tracker. But, I'll admit that for a couple of decents down some of the steep and slick, grass covered rocky slopes in Makuti, I turned it over to one of the trackers and used a stick to avoid damage to myself and my rifle.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to say I don't "agree" with most of the "carries" I saw.

My personal preference is to have either my left hand on the fore-end or my right hand on the pistol grip. I'm right handed.

The position of the sling isn't important to me. If I had plenty of time I might take a wrap, in a pinch I wouldn't. On sticks I don't.

No one carries my gun for me, anywhere, unless I'm climbing through / over a fence. If I'm too old or infirm to carry my gun, I'm done.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to carry my rifle slung over my right shoulder. The barrel points a little to the left, allowing me to rest my right arm on the buttstock, and guide it somewhat.

I find it very easy to transition to firing position. Usually my trackers indicated we were coming up on game, so I came to port arms.

I carry my Model 70 with a round in the chamber and safety on the "third" position. That's so a branch or twig does not lift the bolt. When I come to port arms, I push the safety to the second position.

I don't like the African carry. Most of the time I was fifth in line--three trackers and the PH ahead of me. When they lose the track, the four of them "fan out" and it's virtually impossible to not cover one of them with the muzzle.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I personnaly liked the question posed in the video:
"Well Peter what is the best way to stop a Buffalo"
Peter replies "the best way to stop a Buffalo is to shoot him"
Classic!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recieved a compliment from Justin the video guy at the end of my hunt.He said it is rare that he hunts with someone who never points the muzzle at anyone.I carry my rifle,most of the time, like the first guy on the video.When I get tired and there is no bush to walk through,I rest it on my shoulder with my hand on the pistol grip,and muzzle pointing to the sky.I've been carrying my shotgun this way for years and developed the habit of doing it this way.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:

I too have used that carry on occasion, when the bush was tight, and we were getting close to Buffalo, or elephant. Your left hand already has the forestock griped, and with a twist, the rifle is off the shoulder, and in fireing postition, without even lowering the barrel below head hight of anyone in the party. That is not a carry that one can use for long periods of time, nor I would make a habbit of carrying that way all the time, but it is safe, and and efficient, when things get real close while using a bolt rifle. I didn't not vote because there is no correct answer to that question!

The carrying of a bolt rifle with the fireing pin down on the primer of a live round, bolt handle up, or safety on is only safe if the barrel is carried at port arms, and only when aproching a dangerous game animal at close quarters.

SO I didn't vote for or against either question, because it all boils down to the cercumstances. The safest way to carry a rifle when closeing on dangerous game in tight cover, is LOADED, and ready! Anything else if a fool's game! coffee

Right again, Mac. thumb

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Insisting on carrying your rifle before the game is sighted and the sticks are being set is idiocy and the sign of a first-timer. You simply cannot pack a 10+lb rifle up and down all day and be able to react quickly on game. My tracker had the rifle of the right shoulder and the sticks on the other.

Carrying your own rifle while hunting is certainly not idiotic. If you can't carry your rifle and get on target when the time comes, you should probably consider another pastime.

Absolutely. I trained for six months prior to my last hunt and will shortly begin training leading up to a July hunt. If somebody's going to drop my rifle on the scope and screw it up, it'll be me. If you're in such bad shape you can't carry a ten pound rifle ten miles, then ranch hunting might be an alternative. And I'm 66 years old, not some spring chicken. Of course, if someone is partially disabled, then there's a viable exception.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
When I am hunting, I always carry my rifle, and I carry it with a round chambered, a full magazine and the safety on.

To do otherwise is to risk being unprepared when an opportunity or the need arises.

As to method of carry, to plagiarize the title of an old (and pretty awful) Clint Eastwood movie, I carry it "every which way but loose."

I believe that the key principles to follow are the time-honored ones:

1. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to kill or destroy.

2. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

It's really not that complicated.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 mrlexma!

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that doesn't carry their own rifle on safari is a FOOL!!!! I have carried mine for over 10 miles a day and fully capable of MOA upon sending shot. My safari rifles weigh 10 lbs plus. Here are the REAL rules:

COMMON SENSE GUN SAFETY RULES

1. ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED!

2. NEVER LET YOUR MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY!

3. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET!

4. NEVER TOUCH THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES, I damn sure would use the carry method of the MAN in the beret. I have and will again!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I recieved a compliment from Justin the video guy at the end of my hunt.He said it is rare that he hunts with someone who never points the muzzle at anyone.I carry my rifle,most of the time, like the first guy on the video.When I get tired and there is no bush to walk through,I rest it on my shoulder with my hand on the pistol grip,and muzzle pointing to the sky.I've been carrying my shotgun this way for years and developed the habit of doing it this way.

+1 I have more hours carrying my shotgun while pheasant hunting then anything else so I'm in the habit of carrying my own gun across my body or with the barrels in the air with the gun on my shoulder.

When hunting pheasants and partridge you never know when one might go up so you learn to always be ready to shoot quickly.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shit, most of you guys couldn't pack a gallon of milk around the grocery store for an hour without having to set it down a couple times. Buzz Charlton and Myles McCallum are well respected PHs and have been at it for a dozen years. They concurred that a man who packs his own rifle all day is a detriment to a successful shot or a quick followup shot. I tend to take their word over the group here. I will carry an empty gallon milk jug to Reno with me, and hope to meet one of you who will fill it and carry it for ten minutes without having to set it down.

Rich
Buffalo Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
As far as gun safety do what you're used to and comfortable with. If you don't normally use the African carry then don't! Do what you know and are safe with.

As far as having someone else carry your gun to each their own. If you let someone else carry it be prepared to lose shots at animals that you would have shot had you carried the rifle yourself. As far as getting tired carrying my own rifle that's why they invented slings and why I stay in shape. Some of us have grown up hunting on our own and carrying our own guns. It would feel weird to me to have someone else carry for me. Idaho Sharpshooter, if it works for you fine, but I hardly think you have any right to call the rest of us idiots.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Rich, It sounds to me like you were well managed by Myles. Congratulations on shooting your buffalo.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I personnaly liked the question posed in the video:
"Well Peter what is the best way to stop a Buffalo"
Peter replies "the best way to stop a Buffalo is to shoot him"
Classic!

The man who said that was not Peter Capstick, but was Gordon Cundill manageing dirrector of Safari South! Capstick is the one in the beret, carrying his rifle forward on his left shoulder muzzle up!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Insisting on carrying your rifle before the game is sighted and the sticks are being set is idiocy and the sign of a first-timer.
quote:
a man who packs his own rifle all day is a detriment to a successful shot or a quick followup shot
Rich, your anti-malaria...is it Larium by chance? Big Grin

Seriously, every hunt and every hunter is different. And good PH's will tell you exactly what you need to hear, when you need to hear it.

Makuti us rough country, the most difficult I have hunted in, in Africa. Lots of ups/downs and rocks, and having your rifle carried by somebody on the death marches was probably the prudent thing to do.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote