New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI kills off Canned lion hunting?!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Want to tell me the ethical difference between an elephant, a lion, and a kudu?

How about a guinea fowl or a pheasant?

Point is, ethically it’s the same it’s just the public perception that is different.

How is it less ethical to shoot a canned lion than it is to pay for Kobe beef?

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Would a middle way ever prove financially feasible? I mean behind-fence lions that live on the land full time and only excess numbers are harvested.

I brought this up some time back and was told no, that the lions would eat so many plains game (of salable value) that the lion would have to be priced higher than non-farm lion. But has anyone ever actually run the numbers? Has anyone taken into account that the price of wild lions is only going to go up?

I know Mr. Nelson has a hunt report that matches your definition. I do not know enough about it to comment above that. You may be able to look up the report.

A similar situation maybe the Bubbey Conservancy in Zimbabwe. They have a government mandated perimeter fence are hard looked after, but are wild, self feeding, self breeding. I have no issue with this. I am not arguing this is canned lion shooting.

There was some talk of Bubbey getting rid of the Pride when the import ban went into effect because they could not pay to support the pride. I know they pulled a raffle after The Cecil Debacle.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Want to tell me the ethical difference between an elephant, a lion, and a kudu?

How about a guinea fowl or a pheasant?

Point is, ethically it’s the same it’s just the public perception that is different.

How is it less ethical to shoot a canned lion than it is to pay for Kobe beef?

Buying Kobe beef does not have the connotation of hunting which requires that a specific animal on a specific day will win/escape. There is no challenge to buying a steak. Cattle are a long domesticated food source. Why not just pay to shoot a bull Hereford in a feed lot and call it hunting. If the difference is not onpbvious, I am afraid we are doomed.

Hunting requires rules of engagement to make it a worthwhile and acceptable pursuit not just to non hunters but hunters alike.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between the ethical use of animals and hunting.

I don't disagree that without fair chase it isn't hunting... but behind a fence can still be fair chase, it's a matter of what constitutes fair chase then.

What I'm upset about is Mike's use of ethics, i.e. wether or not it is permissible to right thinking people, vs a definition of hunting.

For a lawyer who knows words have specific meanings he is being excessively broad in his terms.

How is having someone else kill a cow that was raised more or less like a pet (Kobe beef) for beef ETHICALLY better than shooting a pen raised lion for a hide yourself? Neither is hunting, and neither is illegal, but one you take personal responsibility for the act?

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, I agree that SCI should remove non fair chase killed animals from any record book.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the Bubye Valley Conservancy numbers. Four hundred lion on 925,000 acrest or one per 2300 acres. That seems a very high concentration -- I'm surprised they have any other game left! Do those posting here consider these wild lions are not? If yes, then my question is answered -- you could do this same thing in RSA and make enough money to get by.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
There is a difference between the ethical use of animals and hunting.

I don't disagree that without fair chase it isn't hunting... but behind a fence can still be fair chase, it's a matter of what constitutes fair chase then.

What I'm upset about is Mike's use of ethics, i.e. wether or not it is permissible to right thinking people, vs a definition of hunting.

For a lawyer who knows words have specific meanings he is being excessively broad in his terms.

How is having someone else kill a cow that was raised more or less like a pet (Kobe beef) for beef ETHICALLY better than shooting a pen raised lion for a hide yourself? Neither is hunting, and neither is illegal, but one you take personal responsibility for the act?

And I agree that one can have ethical slaughter of pen raised lion. I just do not want it associated with hunting and supported by a hunting organization. I question what value such agricultural product has to the sustainability to wild lion and habitat in absence of a legalized market for lion byproduct.

I am also willing to concede that a argument will be made that allowing a legal market for pen raised lion byproduct would allow poached lion byproduct to enter commerce under the guise of legal, pen raised lion. I have no idea if this counter argument carries water.

I will speak for myself it is the association with hunting, and the lack of benefit in preserving wild habitat and wild animals that is my objection to captive bread lion shooting. I see no use or need for it from a hunting and conservationists stand point. However, as long as we do not allow or sell it as hunting I cannot yell anyone down.

The fear, at least for me, remains that the masses will conflate captive reared lion shooting with hunting regardless if hunters reject the practice to the detriment of hunting and by extension wildlife. If that is ore likely than not a realistic fear, I humbly submit the practice as an agricultural activity should cease.

If the counter argument to a legal market for byproduct is correct, then I have an issue with livestock farming of lion because it would contribute directly to the demise of wild lion. Sense no market is likely to ever exist. The point is moot.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
LHeym500 - do you consider the taking of lion from the Bubye Conservancy to be hunting?

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just looked at the Bubye Valley Conservancy numbers. Four hundred lion on 925,000 acrest or one per 2300 acres. That seems a very high concentration -- I'm surprised they have any other game left! Do those posting here consider these wild lions are not? If yes, then my question is answered -- you could do this same thing in RSA and make enough money to get by.

Cause you need 925,000 continuous acres.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
No you don't. How many lion are taken off the Bubye each year? Divide that number into 925,000 and that is the number of contiguous acres needed to produce one lion each year.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ethics are, among other things, the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group. That includes hunters. Most hunters were taught as youngsters that shooting immature animals was inappropriate and not sporting. They were learning a set of ethics practiced by responsible sportsmen. One need only look at the events of the last two or three years to understand that ethics play a critical role in the public acceptance of hunting.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Would a middle way ever prove financially feasible? I mean behind-fence lions that live on the land full time and only excess numbers are harvested.

I brought this up some time back and was told no, that the lions would eat so many plains game (of salable value) that the lion would have to be priced higher than non-farm lion. But has anyone ever actually run the numbers? Has anyone taken into account that the price of wild lions is only going to go up?

I know Mr. Nelson has a hunt report that matches your definition. I do not know enough about it to comment above that. You may be able to look up the report.

A similar situation maybe the Bubbey Conservancy in Zimbabwe. They have a government mandated perimeter fence are hard looked after, but are wild, self feeding, self breeding. I have no issue with this. I am not arguing this is canned lion shooting.

There was some talk of Bubbey getting rid of the Pride when the import ban went into effect because they could not pay to support the pride. I know they pulled a raffle after The Cecil Debacle.

Sir, are you referring to me? If so, I can elaborate?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

South African operations could do something similar. Some do. There is a conglomeration of private land owners without internal fences boarding Kruger. Tony Mathis is hunting with them. I forget the name. But these are priced as wild lion hunts. They are very expensive. A canned, pen shoot which we are discussing here is in the grand scheme of lion hunts less expensive and guaranteed.

I am not rallying against large properties with one bounds fence as long as the animals are living independent. This means feeding themselves and breeding on their own. Not necessarily my preferred brand of whiskey, but a far cry from the pen raised, pick and shoot slaughter mills we have been discussing for 4 threads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No you don't. How many lion are taken off the Bubye each year? Divide that number into 925,000 and that is the number of contiguous acres needed to produce one lion each year.

You are seriously misinformed.

You don’t get wild lions without lots of plains game and buffaloes.

In hunting conservancies you also need business models that lets lions occasionally eat expensive plains game (sable Nyala Ect) and lots of buffaloes.

Can’t divide acres and start comparing.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I think the whole contrived notion that captive bred lions are livestock

They certainly are not wild animals. They are bred and raised in captivity closely resembling the husbandry of common livestock species. What else would you call them? Killing them certainly does not change the wild lion population...would you not agree? Thus...they are domestic animals that are not pets. Livestock seems a very logical term for them.

and someone shooting one should be viewed as the abattoir employee that euthanizes

Euthanize? That is a very poor word for how livestock are killed at slaughter houses. If you don’t believe me...lets go take a tour.

a cow is positively absurd. What Hume is doing with rhino and rhino horn may be consistent with a livestock analogy (the periodic harvesting of horn)

Cattle are ‘killed’...their horns are not harvested. Wool sheep would be nearer to your analogy.

but characterizing captive bred lions as livestock and the shooting of such lions as the slaughter of livestock is little more than a contrivance to in some way make the practice sound less offensive.

By this statement...I can tell for sure that you have not spent any time in a slaughterhouse as they ‘are’ very similar.

Good luck convincing the public that Bob dressed in his hunting finest, carrying his scoped .375 H&H and going into a pasture to shoot a lion that was captive bred and raised specifically for Bob or another person like him to shoot and mount within hours or days of release, is ranching

Sounds exactly like ranching to me and my family has been ranching cattle since the 1870s. Read your words above.

and not some perverted version of hunting that is trying to be sold as something else. Frankly even making the argument is detrimental to the credibility of hunters.

Captive bred lions are livestock...really cannot call them anything else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I guess that makes Bob a rancher . . . good luck selling that distinction. Roll Eyes

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
It was just a matter of time. I think that most of the RSA guys want this to be a thing of the past. It has drawn too much negative attention to high fenced operations and not been good for business.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:

But Lane, don't you understand some of your fellow African Hunters subscribe to a "Higher" set of "Ideals & Ethics" than you and are willing to lose all hunting in Africa than face reality.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I guess that makes Bob a rancher . . . good luck selling that distinction. Roll Eyes

Not sure who “Bob” is as I have not been following this thread that closely. But, anyone raising domestic lions for harvest (for lack of a better word) is by definition ranching (or farming) lion. Farmed and ranched animals are more commonly than not raised to be killed for human use of their body parts.

It is logical equivalence...thus an easy apprehension for the logical thinking. However, I do agree that leaves many out.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

In hunting conservancies you also need business models that lets lions occasionally eat expensive plains game (sable Nyala Ect) and lots of buffaloes.

Mike

Well, inform me, that's why I'm here asking questions. I can't see why you couldn't scale down the Bubye operation and the post just above you indicates this is already being done in RSA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

But Lane, don't you understand some of your fellow African Hunters subscribe to a "Higher" set of "Ideals & Ethics" than you and are willing to lose all hunting in Africa than face reality.

I do not think Ledvm is calling captive breed shooting of pen raised lion hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You are correct, he isn't!!!

He is merely pointing out the Fact that Captive Bred/Reared Lions are nothing more than livestock.

Shooting captive bred lions affects the wild population in no way.

What is there about world wide PUBLIC OPINION concerning the killing of a dwindling population of WILD LIONS people cannot grasp???????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I can't tell what ledvm is saying. Is he saying all lion behind fences (Bubye) are "captive bred" lions? Or not. They are captive alright, but I don't consider them "bred". All of them that reach six years of age might eventually be taken by hunters.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't tell what LEDVM is saying. Is he saying all lion behind fences (Bubye) are "captive bred" lions? Or not. They are captive alright, but I don't consider them "bred". Allof them that reach six years of age might eventually be taken by hunters.

Lions in the Bubye Valley Conservancy are wild and not captive bred.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Okay, then next question. Does a Bubye lion cost more, less, or about the same as a tribal lands unfenced lion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, but I do not follow. Are you advocating wild lion should come off the bag across its range?

Or are you advocating on behalf of captive bread, pen raised, put and take lion shooting?

Do you believe such shoots benefit wild lion and wild habitat, or is it a practice that is not repulsive hunting and negatively perceived by hunters and non hunters alike?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, then next question. Does a Bubye lion cost more, less, or about the same as a tribal lands unfenced lion.

About the same.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The last time now many years ago, I priced a lion hunt in Mozambique all in was just south of 60,000 dollars US.

I have not priced a lion hunt in the Bubye.

Levdm was referring to hand reared lion South Africa. Think of a kennel for dogs. You buy the lion, and it is released into a small area for you to walk up and shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
quote:

Guys, here's my distinction for what its worth!

I did in fact hunt a high-fence lion in 2015, in the Limpopo province of SA. The ranch was over 40,000 acres - where all game, including the lions live Free-Ranging. This to insinuate they hunt / live completely on their own. The ranch had many different species of game, plenty for the lions to hunt freely for themselves. The lion I hunted had been on the property for almost 3 yrs, and a couple other males had been there from 3 months to 2 yrs - as I recall. I don't know the total number of lions on the property, but several males as well as females lived amongst the other game species.

We were specifically targeting this male, but we were not solely targeting this male. A couple of the other males were equal to him, and any of them would have been huntable. This was an attempt by the owner to try and offer another type of lion hunt, not a "canned" lion, but obviously not a totally wild lion either. One that met what he considered a "free-range" opportunity, without the total cost of a wild lion, but not a shoot for a canned lion either.

One can agree, or disagree with me - that's fine. My position is simply this - that a canned / caged lion, living in a 100' x 100' cage its entire life, and then released just prior to the hunter's arrival - is not lion hunting, its lion shooting! Regardless of the property size, its still the same - lion shooting! I'm not trying specifically to disparage it, I am simply trying to lay out the facts. Its this type of lion shooting that has IMO, created the huge controversy amongst the non-hunting community.

I have no opposition at all to high-fence deer hunting, etc. Except in the case in which these exact same practices take place. I am not well versed on that subject, so I cannot comment accurately. If a deer, or an eland lives on 40,000 acres its entire life, its still familiar with the lay of the land, fends for itself, and survives by avoiding trouble (i.e. predators) but if its released a day / days prior simply to be hunted / shot by a hunter, its not doing any of us, any good....IMO. Like everyone my opinion does / can change over time, based on the times we live in.

I don't want to target anyone specifically, I just want to see what's best for the African species we all love. Perhaps my opinion is in-accurate, I can accept that. But if so....show me how, and I'll accept that too?

If you haven't seen it yet....I would encourage you to watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefYDUK-84A

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Okay, I just found the price list for Pete Fick Safaris which hunts the Bubye. The price for a 5+ lion is $54,000 for an 18 day hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike

Well, inform me, that's why I'm here asking questions. I can't see why you couldn't scale down the Bubye operation and the post just above you indicates this is already being done in RSA.

Things are not linear - you cannot scale up and down ecosystems. Just like you cannot scale down a oil field or auto factory.

http://sportsafield.com/where-wildlife-thrives/

https://blog.nationalgeographi...r-lion-conservation/

You can do some internet searches or reach out to someone Lane - he can lead you to the correct scientific information.

I know from talking to people in the save - when the Buffalo population hit a number, lions showed up. Most likely from gonarezhou.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I will read those links later, thanks, but there must be some smaller size acreage that can work. As stated, this is being done on smaller places in RSA. I am not suggesting little places can raise lion this way, but 25,000 acres, maybe? There has to be a number where it becomes feasible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 40,000 in a situation like Mr. Nelson has described is about as small as you can go.

I admit I do not have the information to back up this feeling.

Lion and large game it predates upon need room.

The Tembervari was the outfit I was thinking about in South Africa. This outfit is huge. I think bigger than Bubye.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sir,
In the Bubye...there are herds of buffalo, zebra, wildebeest, elephant, and all the plains game. Lion live and breed there in prides and eat, drink, and sleep as a lion in Selous.

You are not going to have ecosystems like that in much smaller areas. Even that one of that size requires management because it is enclosed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will read those links later, thanks, but there must be some smaller size acreage that can work. As stated, this is being done on smaller places in RSA. I am not suggesting little places can raise lion this way, but 25,000 acres, maybe? There has to be a number where it becomes feasible.

The minimum area to have a wild lion ecosystem is beyond my knowledge set.

The answer should be easy to find if one digs around or contacts the unbiased lion researchers.

But the question is also beyond just ecosystems. You need a economic and land ownership property right structure to allow wild lions.

Just back of the envelope the manager of Mokore, Don Jooste, and I calculated that lions ate more game in the save than what hunters shot across all concessions. I am pretty sure it was the same for bubye.

The whole South African canned lion industry is not based on lions eating plains game. It's based in lions eating dead cattle from livestock operations. No cattle operations no chattel lions. The protein equations for lions is expensive.

All the chattle tigers in china are near chicken/poultry operations. Same for croc and gator farms.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think 40,000 in a situation like Mr. Nelson has described is about as small as you can go.

The Tembervari was the outfit I was thinking about in South Africa. This outfit is huge. I think bigger than Bubye.

The Timbavati is part of the greater Kruger Reserve and is contiguous with the Kruger without a fence between.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The minimum area to have a wild lion ecosystem is beyond my knowledge set.

The answer should be easy to find if one digs around or contacts the unbiased lion researchers.

But the question is also beyond just ecosystems. You need a economic and land ownership property right structure to allow wild lions.

Just back of the envelope the manager of Mokore, Don Jooste, and I calculated that lions ate more game in the save than what hunters shot across all concessions. I am pretty sure it was the same for bubye.

The whole South African canned lion industry is not based on lions eating plains game. It's based in lions eating dead cattle from livestock operations. No cattle operations no chattel lions. The protein equations for lions is expensive.

All the chattle tigers in china are near chicken/poultry operations. Same for croc and gator farms.

Mike

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Guys, here's my distinction for what its worth!

I did in fact hunt a high-fence lion in 2015, in the Limpopo province of SA. The ranch was over 40,000 acres - where all game, including the lions live Free-Ranging. This to insinuate they hunt / live completely on their own. The ranch had many different species of game, plenty for the lions to hunt freely for themselves. The lion I hunted had been on the property for almost 3 yrs, and a couple other males had been there from 3 months to 2 yrs - as I recall. I don't know the total number of lions on the property, but several males as well as females lived amongst the other game species.

We were specifically targeting this male, but we were not solely targeting this male. A couple of the other males were equal to him, and any of them would have been huntable. This was an attempt by the owner to try and offer another type of lion hunt, not a "canned" lion, but obviously not a totally wild lion either. One that met what he considered a "free-range" opportunity, without the total cost of a wild lion, but not a shoot for a canned lion either.

One can agree, or disagree with me - that's fine. My position is simply this - that a canned / caged lion, living in a 100' x 100' cage its entire life, and then released just prior to the hunter's arrival - is not lion hunting, its lion shooting! Regardless of the property size, its still the same - lion shooting! I'm not trying specifically to disparage it, I am simply trying to lay out the facts. Its this type of lion shooting that has IMO, created the huge controversy amongst the non-hunting community.

I have no opposition at all to high-fence deer hunting, etc. Except in the case in which these exact same practices take place. I am not well versed on that subject, so I cannot comment accurately. If a deer, or an eland lives on 40,000 acres its entire life, its still familiar with the lay of the land, fends for itself, and survives by avoiding trouble (i.e. predators) but if its released a day / days prior simply to be hunted / shot by a hunter, its not doing any of us, any good....IMO. Like everyone my opinion does / can change over time, based on the times we live in.

I don't want to target anyone specifically, I just want to see what's best for the African species we all love. Perhaps my opinion is in-accurate, I can accept that. But if so....show me how, and I'll accept that too?

If you haven't seen it yet....I would encourage you to watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oefYDUK-84A

tu2

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:

The Timbavati is part of the greater Kruger Reserve and is contiguous with the Kruger without a fence between.

Correct, but I do think there is a line they do not cross for hunting. By line a mean areas they do not hunt. I was looking it up. I think Kruger proper has a boundry fence. I know Etoshia in Namibia has a border fence. Please correct me if I am wrong.

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
It appears from a quick internet search that the natural range of a lion is 64k acres.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote