Find
Notify
Tools

Ultimate African rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
that is a beauty for sure thumb...my dream africa rifle yet to be made has desert a ironwood stock Big Grin i am with you on the "thin as a toothpick" thing.

what is the barrel lenth?

what kind of front sight did you use, the williams ramp?

oil rub finish?

how fine is that checkering, looks good thumb

thanks for making us jealous...jealousy is just a precursor to ownership jump

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27611 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I think the clue is in the title of the thread:
"Ultimate African rifle"..

Here in the UK I use a sling all the while, but found the style of hunting in RSA meant it got in the way more than anything..And that was plains game not DG either..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, I understand that. But find it shocking that this type of hunting is so dangerous or so easy that a sling is not needed. Ever.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I can see the point you trying to make, but take it from a fellow sheep hunter that has also hunted in Africa...a sling is not at all necessary in Africa and can be a real hindrance in the thick and thorny jesse. Its not that it is particularly "easy" per se, but the walking is pretty flat (ie. you don't need a sling to free up your hands) and you spend a lot of time trying to avoid getting snagged up by thorns. I used my slings a lot of the time with my heavier rifle, but when you're crouched over trying to slink through the thorns it was a real nuisance.

On the other hand, you'll never catch me in sheep country without a sling!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
What do you think.

What in the world a Cape Buffalo has to do with using a sling once in 30yrs is well beyond me. And this dangerous game bull shit is wearing a little thin.

Chuck

Damn, here we go again!

RAY OK I'll bite what do you want for that rifle? I'm not worried about it not haveing a sling! My E-mail is: DUGABOY1@aol.com

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as Ray has his slip-on-shotgun-style carry strap available, he has got it covered ... but I too would rather have some studs for sling swivels. It is not much of a detraction from the ultimately clean and functional lines of this rifle, as long as the front one sticks forward from the tip of the forearm.

Great piece for gunnery and beauty. thumb

I am glad to see the shedding of the quarter rib express sight and barrel band sling base, for a peep and gold patridge front, I'll bet. Best setup possible for iron sights.

Sort of like my fiberglass and stainless 8 pound
.404 Jeffery, and sort of like my 6.75 pound Pre-64 .375 H&H:

... sort of ... sofa

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, very nice buffalo rifle thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If ya'll will remember, I started this "rebirth"of the 10.75x68 a little over a year ago.
Ray talked about building a 10.75 and we "talked" about Royalty payments.
Now that he has a nice rifle he has built, I would expect said Royality payments...... but I sofa jump don't have a CONTRACT.

Nice looking rifle. AS 400gr at 2100+ , well handled, should get some one out of any problem.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
As long as Ray has his slip-on-shotgun-style carry strap available, he has got it covered ... but I too would rather have some studs for sling swivels. It is not much of a detraction from the ultimately clean and functional lines of this rifle, as long as the front one sticks forward from the tip of the forearm.

Great piece for gunnery and beauty. thumb

I am glad to see the shedding of the quarter rib express sight and barrel band sling base, for a peep and gold patridge front, I'll bet. Best setup possible for iron sights.

Sort of like my fiberglass and stainless 8 pound
.404 Jeffery, and sort of like my 6.75 pound Pre-64 .375 H&H:

... sort of ... sofa

Rip

You're right about the quarter rib and multiple leaves. Useless. The peep is perfect for a carry rifle. Would be great as a horse rifle also in Bear Country.

I have handled a rifle of Ray's that had that stock profile and like it very much. It is slim and purposeful. I do wish it had a cheekpiece though.

To me the 404 would have been a better choice with the original loading if you want a 400 gr. at 2100fps. That's what makes Horse Races though.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle, Ray. Especially love the sight setup and that perfectly shaped H&H stock.

Posts: 515 | Location: AZ | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Bottom line, I didn't want a sling, if I did I would have put one on it, chances of me hunting sheep with a 10.75x68 is slim to none.. end of arguement.

Perhaps dangerous game bores the socks off you but I have had more than several ocassions wherein I needed a gun so fast that had it been slung then I would have been slung myself into the tree tops, and one ocassion where a elephant came out of nowhere another where a Lion was all over us..Then there were some ocassions where if I had a slung gun animals that I shot would have been out of sight and gone..

There is a place for a sling, I don't doubt that but please don't get your shorts in a wad because my gun doesn't have swivels, neither does my .30/30, 25-35, .308 Savage, 250 Savage and I have faired well enough, its a personal choice..

Boomstick,
barrel is 25", has a barrel band front sight with a NECG gold faced partridge sight, I use True oil cut 50-50 with Mineral spirits for the finish, it is a low gloss in the wood finish. 24 LPI checkering.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I could give a shit if your rifle wears swivels or not. 30 years of hunting without needing a sling seems a little much for me. A revelation so to speak. Can't begin to fathom hunting conditions that would alow such a thing.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
I don't know what your problem is but we are talking an African caliber in Dangerous game country, and 30 years of hunting Africa not Alberta or where your from...Most African PH will not use a sling, many double rifle users will not use a sling...

You say this "dangerous game" thing is wearing thin, so why do you even come on the African thread???

If you have a problem with that then get over it. Its of no concern to you how I deck out my rifle and sure don't give a shit if you use 30 feet of rope on your guns.

I think your posts are those of a trol with an axe to grind for some unknown reason..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I apologize. I'm sure I misunderstood your original quote regarding the sling giving it a blanket covering all of your hunting and not just Africa.

My comments had nothing to do with your rifle just that simple statement.

As to the Dangerous game thing. I know there is dangerous game in Africa, it just appears at times that this forum should be renamed Dangerous Game hunting, as that, quite often, seems to be the only thing Africa is portrayed to be about.

It's far from personal Ray, and appears as though I've taken something out of context.

Sorry,

The troll um I mean Chuck Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ray, I apologize. I'm sure I misunderstood your original quote regarding the sling giving it a blanket covering all of your hunting and not just Africa.

My comments had nothing to do with your rifle just that simple statement.

As to the Dangerous game thing. I know there is dangerous game in Africa, it just appears at times that this forum should be renamed Dangerous Game hunting, as that, quite often, seems to be the only thing Africa is portrayed to be about.

It's far from personal Ray, and appears as though I've taken something out of context.

Sorry,

The troll um I mean Chuck Wink

Actually, without DG Africa would be much cheaper and much more boring. Give me the Mountains anyday over plains game.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
Apologizes all around, sorry for my retort.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Ray, it deserves a buffalo or two.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle and caliber combination.
Maybe "The Perfect Compromise" clap

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Pretty decent lookin' stick Ray.

Entirely too much quibbling over it though . . .

. . . so I could take it off your hands if you mail it to me, say, along with as little as 100 bucks. Smile, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a great gun Ray I wish I owned it Big Grin

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle indeed. regarding the sling issue, I'm noe expert, bt I sure as HELL needed one in africa when walking all miles and when climbing up and down tose huge kopjes. When the time came I had to make a relatively quick shot on my buff and the sling was not an issue. Just personal preference. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I considered the 10.75x73 but brass is a problem and I am not very familair with that cartridge and I had 200 rounds of new brass for the 68 along with dies, a left over from selling my beatiful Hoffman to Lb404.......

As to the .404, that would be much more costly, I have used it for years and become bored with it, albiet its the best of the best IMO...I like to try something different,and I am the ultimate experimenter in calibers. this was a brain child project...

I opted to leave off my usual shadowed egg cheekpiece as a cheekpiece is nothing but proud flesh, added weight and has no function other than looks...I did add some cast off to this stock...and it handles recoil beatifully and points like a Boss .410 shotgun. In all form follows function is its high point.

I enjoyed building something a little different and thats the most important aspect of my projects today. Its a long time to buff season next year and I will probably sell it before then and will have built another! clap

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Roy, er I mean, Ray,

You know, you're a pretty funny guy. You build an obscure calibre rifle, plan to take it to Africa to shoot a bunch of cape buffalo, and then justify it buy saying things like....
quote:
...I like to try something different,and I am the ultimate experimenter in calibers. this was a brain child project...I enjoyed building something a little different and thats the most important aspect of my projects today.

Then you poke fun at guys like me that built a 416 Taylor, or other guys that propose to do the same thing to take to Africa. Or tell guys that "wildcatting is dead" and discourage them from messing around with it because there are better cartridges out there already.

Maybe you just don't want the rest of us messing around with obscure or different calibres, because that would make yours less unique??? Razzer

No offence intended, btw. Just an observation. Smiler sofa

FWIW, I think your rifle is a beaut and would come down to Idaho in a flash to get it if it fit my budget. I like things that are a little different too.

Congrats on a fine lookin' rifle.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I considered the 10.75x73 but brass is a problem and I am not very familair with that cartridge...

Isn't 10.75x73 the metric designation of the .404 Jeffery??? (ie: the same cartridge)

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
A good effort but I don't think you got it quite right.
Now I'm in a magnanimus frame of mind this morning. Might I suggest you send the rifle to me for approval and if I think it can be brought up to a satisfactory standard, I'll send you sufficient funds to buy new components in order for you to have another go at getting it right.
sofa

Now you don't get offers like that every day. nut

PS. It seems only right to me that you should pay for all freight costs.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ray, As I've said before, I think you missed (and subsequently found) your calling. A beautiful work of art made for using, that. It screams "African rifle"! Good show...btw where's the .404????

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
To be serious, the rifle looks very good.
clap clap clap

Tell me, the peep sight, is it a made of steel?
Thanks,
Gordon.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ray, Very Nice thumb

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Now, I know that you do not know "oldun", and you do not know if he is entirely trustworthy. So, to help you out with product testing, I humbley (sp?, with a lot of humbleation) offer my services as buffalo, elk test shooter for your new piece.

You have said you are bored with hunting and like to rope your grandkids (or was it - with your grandkids?), I would be a surrogate buffalo shooter for you. I could do all of the unpleasantries and help you out - for a small fee.

Please call BR-549 for instructions on how to reach me.

PS - If you recognize that phone number, you are older than you think.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
awesome!!!

and in an obsolete as well!! truely a sportsman's rifle

I think i saw a box of 10.75x68 right next to 577 3" once...

love the rifle ray!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dogcat:
Ray,
Now, I know that you do not know "oldun", and you do not know if he is entirely trustworthy.

I'm totaly trustworthy! Wink honest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kanuck,Cunyuk, or whatever,
That was a good observation, but the 10.75x68 is no Wildcat, I can buy ammo and components for it...therefore you did not pin me in a corner, close, but no ceeegar sucker! jump

Mickey, you got one buy me, I am quite familair with the 10.75x73 it just didn't ring!! The reason I passed on the .404 as I have played with it a lot and was looking for a toy to piddle with, thus the 10.75x68, born with nostalgia it fit my needs at the time...Only two of us has one you know!! Lb 404 and myself, and some others are headed that direction, within months it will top the 30-06 in sales, trust me on this one!! beer nut lol

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kanuck,Cunyuk, or whatever,
That was a good observation, but the 10.75x68 is no Wildcat, I can buy ammo and components for it...therefore you did not pin me in a corner, close, but no ceeegar sucker!

I bet you $$ to donuts that I can get 416 Taylor ammo and components just as easy as you can get 10.75x68, and probably cheaper too!! Razzer

Cheers,
Canuck

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
you know we are just pulling your leg, right?

but, you know, I can get headstammped brass from midway, and quality cart....

and loaded ammo from superior ammo and quality cart...

and the brass is all of 50cents or less each..

Just trying to make sure we are on the same page.. f loaded ammo and headstamped brass make it not a 'cat.. well.....

things I love about the 416 t
1: no cutom bottommetal required
2: working brass can be had anywhere
3: easy to get to feed
4: a ballistic twin to the 404, at reasonable pressure
5: to "Get by" one need only mark his barrel 458winx416, and then use 458 winmag brass

I doubt anyone with a 275 rigby "Gets in trouble" for having 7x57 brass!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MIckey,
My pattern stock has a cheekpiece, it took me 2 hours to cut it off of this one! My thoughts at the time were that a cheek piece adds weight, adds bulk, serves no earthly nor functional purpose, it strictly cosmetic....I know this to be fact...

They do look lovely, don't they and thats why most of my rifles have a shadowline or double shadowline cheed piece... thumb

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doyle,
You can say that again!! jump

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
quote:

Go over that with your rifle at port arms.

You also won't back the jeep up to your game here eigther.

Chuck

Chuck

See many Cape Buffalo when you were there?

Big Grin

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
hmmm...Chuck, that mountain range is mighty familiar Wink We gotta exchange notes and photos one of these days thumb

One of Us
Picture of Ready On The Right
posted Hide Post
Ray

That rifle's not quite perfect for you...I'll give $500 dollars and take the nasty thing off your hands so you won't have to look at itBig Grin

I've even got 20 pieces of brass setting here!!

Truly a fine looking rifle..

Mike

Posts: 86 | Location: GA | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote