New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lion in S.A.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From the same company that took the Trump boys hunting in Zim - See link/video below. I'm just NOT too sure what to make of this to be honest? However, if this is the average S.A./Kalahari Lion outing - I'm real certain that I'll pass.

I never wanted to say I'm "against" these Lion outings, but man this one sure makes it hard to like, or support - WOW!!! As much as I love the African Lion, this is truly hard to watch! I don't know, I'm turning 40 in May - perhaps I'm just getting soft in my old age Smiler

http://www.huntinglegends.com/...-bow-vinny-berranco/

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might was well go and shoot the one in the bronx zoo - he might be less tranquilized

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Well doesn't that just make us all look like shit. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
That is pretty damn pathetic.

That nicely brushed lion was coming up to the truck for dinner. Never understood the risk and certainly wasn't responding in any wild sort of way.

I don't like this and don't like using bows on these animals. It isn't hunting.

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
What's he shooting? A 20# bow?

Pathetic!! But legal.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
That is pretty damn pathetic.

That nicely brushed lion was coming up to the truck for dinner. Never understood the risk and certainly wasn't responding in any wild sort of way.

I disagree. He was drugged.

Look at at that poor SOB stagger like a drunk after the first shot.

This is not hunting. This is a mockery of our sport.

We need to voice our disgust over this garbage. This is not hunting, this is not fair, this is not "OK".

Raising animals to pretend like your clients are hunting them is not hunting. These outfitters and clients should be ostracized in the same manner that pedophiles are.

(Pedophilia and canned hunting are not on the same level, but they should be ostracized in the same manner. If you don't understand this I will send BAB to straighten you out.)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is, like Mark Sullivan says: Killing, not Hunting.

And:
I count 6 Man with guns...
Next time he will come with the complete Delta Force from Fort Bragg....

H E Y M

Diplom-Ingenieur
Stefan Bader (Germany)

Shooting Instructor
Gun (i. g. Heym) Dealer
Hunting Store

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen this clip before it is so sad to watch it Aaron. Such a magnificient beast raised to this end! I have had the displeasure of meeting this individual, he was boasting how him and his two buddies all went to Africa and "got their lions" with bows in 4 days! But before we get all self righteous where do you think he honed his bushcraft and skills as a big white hunter? Let me guess - killing 700" whitetail deer in a very small enclosure!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I have had the displeasure of meeting this individual, he was boasting how him and his two buddies all went to Africa and "got their lions" with bows in 4 days!

So, did you play along and say, "Wow, that's great!"

Or did you man-up and say, "Pity you three wankers choose to shoot pen raised lions."

(I will admit that I have played along when faced with this situation, but I have always regretted it.)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

This is not hunting. This is a mockery of our sport.

We need to voice our disgust over this garbage. This is not hunting, this is not fair, this is not "OK".

100% agreed. This is nothing we need to support, this is not hunting!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The commentator in that video is as obnoxious as Mark Sullivan in his heavy breathing drawl about letting the buffalo "choose how to die"!

This nitwit was telling us how dangerous it is to kill a lion!

I have been in situations with lions where these individuals might need a change of underwear!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the very least that ph should not have been getting his bow hunting client in on that lion with the lion knowing exactly what was going.... At the worst he did it because the lion was, umm, drugged Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst part of this is not just that it's canned whic is bad enough, it's the equipment used.

This is a VERY good exampl of shooting an animal with light arrows and I'd venture that they are mechanical broadheads as well. The penetration on this poor animal is MINIMAL an arrow should zip right through an animal at that range.

Go onto youtube and look at some archery hunting videos and there are scores of animals shot with less than 8" of penetration, even on well placed shots that should have no penetration issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When shit like that gets posted on a public website and hunters feel disgusted, imagine what goes through the minds of non-hunters, let alone the tree huggers?

We be digging our own graves with super-sized shovels!

The proud dickhead who killed that house-cat surely cannot believe he is a hunter; no stalk, in full view, a committee of bystanders, a frigging dog, dammit the partridge in the pear tree is missing!

Disgusting and sad to say the least - go bury your head in the sand big white hunter!

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
When shit like that gets posted on a public website and hunters feel disgusted, imagine what goes through the minds of non-hunters, let alone the tree huggers?

We be digging our own graves with super-sized shovels!

The proud dickhead who killed that house-cat surely cannot believe he is a hunter; no stalk, in full view, a committee of bystanders, a frigging dog, dammit the partridge in the pear tree is missing!

Disgusting and sad to say the least - go bury your head in the sand big white hunter!

Well said! Really tragic

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horrendous and embarrassing.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Sickening is truly all I can say. I felt as though they were at task to kill someone's hand raised pet. To walk on open cover within that distance and then for the reckless SOB to take the first shot angle he did at what should be considered DG??? An embarrasment to all and almost wishing I've never come across the post. Atleast the word is out and there is one hunting party I will NEVER be associated with. A true disgrace to the sport and animals involved.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sometimes ya just have to pull for the lion....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Frowner After seeing this i am embarrest over being a hunter thumbdown

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Donner
Hold your head up.
That was not hunting!
That was just shooting!
Got about as much respect for a poacher as I do those guys.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by donner:

You think you're ashamed? What do you think I must feel like being an outfitter from South Africa? This is pathetic.
Gentleman, please understand that not all Lion hunting in South Africa is like this.
There are very few places, as a matter of fact I know of one, where you can hunt genuine free range Lions. Even regarding captive bred Lions, the law states that an animal has to be released into the area, however many thousand acres it might be, for a number of months before the hunting date.
But seeing this has pretty much ruined my day.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1405 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
after the 2nd arrow i could no longer watch
poor lion was likley starving and thought these guys were bringing the cat food he was so used to getting. I wish our comments could be posted on their web site.
How many times have I heard these idiots say "these lions are much more dangerous than their wild lions" such a line of Bullshit.
What a real shame... makes me want to throw up... thumbdown

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMG Hunting Safaris:
quote:
Originally posted by donner:

You think you're ashamed? What do you think I must feel like being an outfitter from South Africa? This is pathetic.
Gentleman, please understand that not all Lion hunting in South Africa is like this.
There are very few places, as a matter of fact I know of one, where you can hunt genuine free range Lions. Even regarding captive bred Lions, the law states that an animal has to be released into the area, however many thousand acres it might be, for a number of months before the hunting date.
But seeing this has pretty much ruined my day.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Then seeing this riff-raff is from your neck of the woods it might just be in your interest to go and chew some ass !

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even regarding captive bred Lions, the law states that an animal has to be released into the area, however many thousand acres it might be, for a number of months before the hunting date

Seems like this requirement is routinely ignored. The only good thing to come from this video is I now know never to book a hunt with this outfit.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
Revolting.
That poor farm raised kitty had been tranked to the max, otherwise they would have claimed "shoot a CHARGING lion with a bow.
this outfit should be black balled on AR. In fact perhaps Saeed could have separate forum: unethical operators to avoid!

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact perhaps Saeed could have separate forum: unethical operators to avoid!

+1

Posts: 490 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ing. S. Bader:
This is, like Mark Sullivan says: Killing, not Hunting.

And:
I count 6 Man with guns...
Next time he will come with the complete Delta Force from Fort Bragg....

is that the same mark .....shoot your buffalo in the belly so he will charge and we can get that on video, by the way your next buffalo on quota is free of charge ....... sullivan ? Mad

or at least so i heard and it felt really good to snub him at the sci show when the wide eyed innocents were gathered around for his ....stories.

If u want missing trophies,stolen trophies,crap mounts or replacement minature trophies .....use KARL HUMAN TAXIDERMY in east london, south africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I think this kinda sums it up for me too!

Over the years I've tried to keep an open mind on the "Canned" lion subject, and frankly, without having experienced it myself - I do believe it would be a bit unfair for me to pass FINAL judgment, and rally against it 100%. However, this example just looks REALLY bad! So bad in fact, that I found myself feeling sorry for the Lion as he was pelted with arrows, from a bow that obviously had insufficient draw weight, and could barely penetrate the thin-skinned animal.

My girlfriend knows my fascination with the African Lion, and my love for hunting them too! She's a non-hunter, but totally supports my choice to do it. I let her watch this video clip last night, and she was damn near in tears! She said, had she no knowledge/experience with lion hunting because of our relationship. This video alone would would make her anti-lion hunting for sure. And as others have stated already, most of us are not too impressed with this display of sportsmanship, imagine the reaction this garners from the non-hunting community? Keep in mind, its not the anti-hunting community we are concerned with, they are anti-hunting no matter what. Its the 70% of the population, who just like my girlfriend are simply non-hunters. Not necessarily against it, but seeing things like this video clip is exactly what makes detractors out of the masses that we need on our side.

At least if you're gonna participate/film this sort of thing - PLEASE do not put it out for public display!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Looks like low penetrating expandables. I refuse to call them broadheads.

Lion is obviously drugged. Sick.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to see a pattern here!!!!!

Scroll down to the bottom of the link and there is a picture of several guys around the table.

http://www.huntinglegends.com/...we/matetsi-zimbabwe/

The last name listed is - Dawie vd Westhuizen

The same name of the PH for Babwe Safaris. If you see the following link, and have followed some of my other posts. You will see my feelings towards these guys who are participating in the wildlife slaughter in Nyakasanga, over the past couple of years! The slaughter of the lion in particular.

Dawie vd Westhuizen

http://www.africahunting.com/h...-zambezi-valley.html

An old thread from AR

http://forums.accuratereloadin...?r=14810962#14810962

Company:- Out of Africa Safaris
Dawie Groenwaldt
Janeman Groenwaldt
Glen Van Rensburg
Nick Van Rensburg
Zimbabwe connection/operator - E K Safaris (Ed Kadzombe)
Jacob Mudenda
Professional Hunters:- Albert Padarizi - ex National Parks Pilot
:- Dawie Van Der Westhuizen

Funny how the same names pop up over the years.

And this is not to say the Trump hunt was illegal, I have no knowledge of that at all. I hope for their sake it was 100% proper.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

posted Hide Post
These guys are A$$holes. period.

posted Hide Post
I sent an email to Hunting Legends and let them know they aren't doing the sport of hunting any favours by posting crap like that.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Absolutely pathetic. The "zone", my ass.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do we know who the shooter (not hunter) was? It seemed as if it was being filmed for a TV show. I would like to be able to send an e-mail or letter expressing my displeasure about representing hunting in such a horrendous manner.

Shooting that lion and shooting a porcupine are about on the same level, difficulty wise. At least a porcupine is wild.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's disgusting. Here are my thoughts, for what they're worth...

Some of us have been engaged with a bunch of anti-hunting idiots over on that Facebook page "Stop Trophy Hunting NOW". We all realize what a pathetic bunch of dipshits they are, but if we don't stand up ourselves against this practice, and this particular video and company, then what are we? As gentlemen who believe themselves to be, and who publicly hold ourselves out as, ethical hunters; I believe it is incumbent upon us to take action and publicly disapprove of this travesty of a hunt and to work to make sure it doesn't occur again. What can we do?

What can we do? Well, for starters let's file a joint complaint (perhaps we can all sign online somehow) with PHASA. Let's also file a joint complaint with the South African Wildlife Authority (whatever name that organization goes by) and then let's publicly humiliate that company and hunter. I do believe that if law abiding, ethical hunters were to publicly shame someone who is nothing more than a shooter, certainly not a hunter, then this practice would diminish. Think of it this way, you go on that particular hunt and shoot that particular lion, post your video and then real hunters come out of the woodwork in opposition to you and what you did...how would you react? More importantly, how would the next poor shlub handle himself? Would doing this every time we see it eventually discourage other people from going on these types of hunts? I would hope so, and at a minimum, we'd be standing up for what is right.

I'm often disgusted to read anti-hunting comments like "I wish the lion would have killed them..." and drivel such as that. This might have been one time when I wish myself that the lion would have had some success before coming to such a pathetic end. That dipshit shooter doesn't even know the basics of archery hunting, as the first two shots were simply not angles any selt respecting archer would shoot an animal at, let alone dangerous animals. The only proper angle shot was the final one, and yes, that equipment was woefully insufficient to take any large animal. Perhaps that needs to be included in a complaint to PHASA and South African Wildlife Department, the use of substandard equipment.

What do you all think about this concept? Who here has the expertise to put together a campaign or petition against this idiot shooter and SA company?

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality outfit the trump boys like to hunt with - given the outfitter the hang out with and their hunting elephant in Zim. I think they should be more worried about the Lacey act than some anti-hunting protests.

This is not hunting - it is slaughtering. It maybe it serve some purpose - jobs for taxidermist ect. But it is just sad to watch and get painted as a hunter with this brush.

I have not hunted lion - I don't have any great desire to hunt lion. I fully support lion hunting when it is done correctly(age, wild lions, regulated ect).

But when someone tells me they have hunted lion. I start with the working assumption that is was canned. I then ask which country they hunted it in, the outfitter ect. They have to prove the assumption wrong and in a few minutes it either is or it isn't.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

+1

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate New York.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite part of the whole clip was at the end, when the guy is sitting behind his lion, telling us how they "spotted" it from the truck.

Well no shit! Who would have ever guessed that???

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what pet store they went to do that grooming. Hell, that mane looked like it had been shampooed and blow dryed.

The client must be a total clown to believe that was a wild lion and that this was fair chase.

I will be honest and say that some of the lion hunting in the RSA does not bother me at all. Tracking lions in large areas is fine with me as long as the lions have been there for a while and the cats were neither drugged or starved. It took me about 2 seconds to know what was up with this execution.

Gentlemen, as bad as this in, there is worse that goes on. I know for absolute fact that a very big name client shot a lion in a cage on the back of a truck. Of course, his trophy pictures do not reflect this.

Executions such as this are appalling. I don't know what can be done to stop it. Africa is a corrupt place. People willing to do this type of thing are not those who would play by the rules.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote