New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trip Insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do I need it? I can see better insurance my rifles but do I need the other. Thanks

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are traveling through JNB, there is a 50% chance something will get stolen. That alone is enough reason to pay $200 for insurance. But you must take it out within a few days of paying the first money for your trip.

The other reason is you don't need to spend $10 per day for medevac, that saving pays for your trip insurance.

Your final reason is you will lose your deposit, if for some reason you can't get on the plane.

It's a no-brainer.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I left a deposit at SCI I think I've missed the window for trip insurance at time of deposit..

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
If you are traveling through JNB, there is a 50% chance something will get stolen. That alone is enough reason to pay $200 for insurance. But you must take it out within a few days of paying the first money for your trip.

The other reason is you don't need to spend $10 per day for medevac, that saving pays for your trip insurance.

Your final reason is you will lose your deposit, if for some reason you can't get on the plane.

It's a no-brainer.

Alright, I'll bite. Granted I don't have African travel experience that you have, in 8 to 13 trips through the J'burg airport (counting over nights), I have yet to have anything stolen. While I can't doubt the need for some type of travel insurance, where do you justify the need solely on theft in J'burg?

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Russ, curious, why do you feel it is a waste of $ 10/ day for medivac?

Martin

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you buy trip insurance including medevac (as most all of them do), you don't need to pay the addl $10 per day for duplicate insurance. So that covers about half of the typical trip insurance premium.

I'll let the others speak to theft at JNB. If your bags are checked straight through, you are usually OK ... but not always. If your bags are delayed, you should expect pilferage.

Ignore my advice at your peril.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not being that familiar with the insurance industry in the US, but having limited experience with the industry in South Africa and Africa, I would hate to be lying under a tree feeling sorry for myself, whilst the PH and my hunting buddies tried to convince the call center agent at my health insurance that the local ambulance is not an option.

After getting stranded in a Luanda Hospital due to the fact that my fishing buddies failed to convince the call center agent on that trip, $10 is for free.

Posts: 12 | Location: Johannesburg | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ Gould:
... But you must take it out within a few days of paying the first money for your trip.../QUOTE]

This restriction , I believe, only applies to some of the optional coverages, and IIRC the allowance is 30 days +/-.

Even if you think you do not need the coverage for the hunt and the airfare, I like to buy it just to get the medical insurance. It might be hard to manage over the phone, but, better than being turned away.

I believe I paid about $60 for the "fringe coverages including the medical.baggage.trip delay. etc.

I'm not sure I would omit the medevac coverage at $10 a day though.

See www.insuremytrip.com

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Rose:
Since I left a deposit at SCI I think I've missed the window for trip insurance at time of deposit..

No, you haven't. You may have passed the date at which pre-existing conditions are no longer covered.

But to answer your question, "Do I need trip insurance?"

Can you afford to loose everything you have invested? If you can, then do not bother with trip insurance.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
You can not afford to skip out on a Global Rescue membership. If you can afford the hunt, you can afford to cover yourself!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
You can not afford to skip out on a Global Rescue membership. If you can afford the hunt, you can afford to cover yourself!

Very well put.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One reason I buy it is protection in case the booking agent or outfitter goes BK before my hunt. It happened to a bunch of guys when the dickwads Russell Selle and Cy Angeloz trashed San Miguel Outfitters; SMO went bankrupt and anyone who had a deposit got stiffed.

I can verify my customers financial status pretty easily by just checking their financial filings (they are all publicly traded). However, you have NO idea how financially secure a booking agent or an outfitter might be. How would you feel if you lost 30K on a deposit because your agent or outfitter declared BK?

Make sure you trip insurance includes protection against financial default.

And don't book a hunt through Global Hunting Network; that is where those two guys are now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
trip insurance is cheap and effective - we recommend travelguard for that

medivac insurance - even if you have global rescue i always advise take the locally offered one aswell , it usually runs $10 a day and a local plane can often get to you faster - to echo what another guy said for an extra 150 dollars ion a 15 day hunt for total peace of mind - IMHO

gun insurance again a no brainer get a quote from core-vens insurance - tim hartsock is the guy there , their annual policy is inexpensive and covers EVERYTHING.

hoppe that this helps - all in all , lets hope you take all the insurance and use none !!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lmj1975:
Not being that familiar with the insurance industry in the US, but having limited experience with the industry in South Africa and Africa, I would hate to be lying under a tree feeling sorry for myself, whilst the PH and my hunting buddies tried to convince the call center agent at my health insurance that the local ambulance is not an option.

After getting stranded in a Luanda Hospital due to the fact that my fishing buddies failed to convince the call center agent on that trip, $10 is for free.

You better believe it! Global Rescue is worth every dime, and can save you many thousands in up front medical expenses. GR is the cats nuts. I would not go without it. It may very well save your life. You are one sat phone call away from qualified assistance, and they monitor you every step of the way. I have used them, not for an evac, but for advice, and they are first rate in my book.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell and Ivan are right on point in all respects. These forms of insurance or pre-paid medevac are very reasonably priced for the protection afforded.

Core-Vens allows you to cover all firearms generally as well as specially listed and presumably more expensive individual ones. They are the best bang for the buck for firearms insurance --- easy to deal with and very affordable.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote