THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    2018 Weatherby Award - Craig Boddington
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2018 Weatherby Award - Craig Boddington
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I meant total trips not just safaris.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LR3:
Congrats and always been charming and helpful. Great books. I ve always wondered what he s done with the trophies he s amassed

LR3, I asked him that exact question the last time I talked to him at one of the shows several years ago. He said most of his later mounts were given to various gun stores and restaurants where he knew the owners. He said there is no way he could keep all the taxidermy in his home!

I feel the same way, but in my case, I simply did not bring them home because, in the first place I don't have space for any more in my modest home, and secondly I would rather save the taxidermy and shipping funds for more hunting. It's all to no avail today anyway because I have been completely priced out of African hunting today!

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on JOC, and read all of PHC's books, but I just recently bought 3 of Boddington's books after having read "Safari Rifles II". He is certainly having a major influence on African hunting in the USA and deserves this award IMO.

Congratulations!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of idle curiosity, what does one have to do to win the Weatherby Award?

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

Shoot everything that walks ( legal), spend millions of dollars, go thru a couple of divorces, and spend years hunting almost constantly.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Has to be time hunting - a lot of hunting, $ hunting - cause one thing is for sure hunting ain't cheap, physical shape - cause mountain hunts cannot be done later in life. Also I bet with most awards you need to play the politics of the circuit - attend shows, make donations etc.

interesting go see the list of past winners - US, Mexico and Spain mainly.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done sir

I have not read any of Craig's books. Which would be the 123 you would recommend to make a start. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Chalmers:
Well done sir

I have not read any of Craig's books. Which would be the 123 you would recommend to make a start. jc

Safari Rifles and Where Lions Roar are my two favorite..

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He's one of the few in the spotlight I would really like to hunt with - and that's not faint praise.

Of course he can bring his daughter, and Eva Shockey can come along, too.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Heym. tu2

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
quote:

There are a couple of requirements, I remember reading about this on an interview with the late Ricardo Medem, a spanish winner of said award, as I remember there is an amount of different species that the hunter must have collected, around 200 if I remember, the hunter must also have done a fair share of conservation through the means of organizations and foundations that support wildlife conservation this is an important requirement, also I believe he has to be nominated by a recipient of the award and finally voted from the several nominees.

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 531 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
from the weatherby website -

There are three categories that comprise the awards submission document, the Ballot.

Hunting Accomplishments
Conservation and Education
Character and Sportsmanship

Before describing these categories, it is important to state that the Award is open to all ethical hunters worldwide. There have been numerous winners from countries other than the USA. Additionally, there have been several lady nominees.

The submission process is by invitation only. If someone, who in the opinion of the Selection Committee, is not eligible to win or compete for the Award they will not receive a Ballot.

No one may win the first year that they are a Nominee. The reason for this is to give the Selection Committee a year to learn about the Nominee’s hunting achievements and conduct in the field from guides and fellow hunters and to confirm the Nominee’s high ethical standards.

Before a ballot is sent to a prospective applicant, the applicant is required to complete a Disclaimer, Waiver, and Indemnity. It is in these documents that the prospective applicant confirms their ethical behavior and compliance with the hunting regulations around the world and they certify to the accuracy of all information that is submitted. This procedure is relatively new and has evolved to protect the Foundation from the efforts of people who want to apply for the Award but are, in the Selection Committee’s opinion, not eligible because of their conduct as a hunter, their character, or their contributions to conservation or hunting.

Hunting Accomplishments
This category, representing the major share (65%) of the total judging value, relates directly to the hunter’s accomplishments in the field as represented by the trophies actually collected. Factors to be considered include (in no particular order); number and variety of species of game animals taken; quality of trophies (as evidenced by standard measuring practices and placement in generally recognized record books), number, geographical distribution (nominee’s trophies must be taken on all continents supporting big game species) and difficulty of hunts represented by trophies taken.

Conservation and Education
This category, representing (20%) of the total judging value, is intended to give consideration to each Nominee’s contributions to wildlife conservation and education demonstrating the positive role hunting plays in conserving the world’s wildlife.

Although every hunter who is under consideration for the Weatherby Award has already contributed greatly to international, national, and local wildlife conservation efforts through purchases of licenses and tags, trophy fees, taxes on equipment, etc., this category recognizes only direct contributions to specific conservation programs. Examples might include: contributions (financial or otherwise) toward specific conservation projects, such as wildlife habitat protection or restoration, working for the protection, propagation, and/or reintroduction of endangered game or non-game wildlife species; or participation in trapping/relocation programs for the improvement of genetic diversity within a specific wildlife population; as well as serving on boards or in various capacities within existing conservation organizations, and/or individual projects undertaken by the nominee. Obviously, the available possibilities are endless.

This category also recognizes the importance of educating and involving young people in the positive role of hunting, in wildlife conservation programs, and as a healthy outdoor recreation pursuit. Examples might include establishing, funding or assisting shooting/hunting education programs in schools, scouting groups, 4-H, etc.; working to establish special hunts or hunting areas for young hunters; or contributions of hunts to young people.

Character and Sportsmanship
This category, comprising 15% of the total award judging value, is concerned with the hunter’s character, integrity in the field, and lifelong commitment to hunting. Some examples of factors considered might include records of compliance (or non-compliance) with local, national and international laws, regulations and treaties regarding the taking of game animals; reputation and evidence of dedication to the principles of fair chase and ethical hunting; leadership in establishing/promoting anti-poaching, hunter ethics and other programs designed to enhance the image of ethical hunters; and record of assistance to organizations established to promote and protect the rights of ethical hunters. If a Nominee has a questionable hunting history the Selection Committee members may take a few points off in this category. The quality of the Nominees, and the narrow range of scores, means that much of a discount here effectively eliminates the Nominee from contention.

The Ballot consists of approximately 50 pages and takes days to complete. Most of the hunted species in the world are listed. In Asia, there are over 200 species listed. This list is reviewed each year as new countries open up to hunting. The number of hunts, countries hunted, trophy quality, and duplicate trophies of the same specie are all included in deciding a winner.

Each year there are six nominees. Each Selection Committee Member has their own method of judging, as different members often place different emphasis on the many factors contained in the Ballot.

No one can win without a significant number of sheep, goats, chamois, the big five, spiral horned antelope, pygmy antelope, and most of the North American species. Collecting the Marco Polo, Mountain Nyala, Polar Bear, Markhor and other very difficult species weigh heavily in the judging.

The judges establish a numerical score for each nominee’s criteria. The nominee with the highest point total from all judges is presented to the Foundation’s Board of Directors as being the most qualified.

The following was published in one of the Weatherby Foundation’s newsletters years ago and it stands true today:

“What’s It Take To Win The Weatherby Award: It is easy, climb a few million feet, walk a few thousand miles, spend years away from home, family and work, usually in a foreign land. Travel for days on icy, gravel mountain roads in old jeeps or SUV’s full of other people’s cigarette smoke. Endure hundreds of searches in airports, borders and military checkpoints. Get sick or hurt, lose luggage and suffer delays too numerous to mention. Sound like fun? It is; it is a passion and way of life for a few very fortunate people.”

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad for Craig. He is a deserving winner and especially on the criteria above. Thanks you for that Ivan.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have many of the early Weatherby catalogs and they feature the award. Interestinly, many Hollywood stars particiated back then with many pics of John Wayne and others who hunted with Weatherby rifles.
Tell me, I used to believe one had to hunt with Weatherby rifles(s) to get award. Any truth to this? Does it help?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A well deserving man. Congratulations!

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good on him ... Well done ... I used to love those Weatherby catalogues when I was a kid ... I still remember the cutest little petite woman posing with a jumbo and her 460 Weatherby rifle. Even back then I got to wondering .. Smiler

I could be wrong .. but didn't Jay Mellon win that award at age 29?

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig Boddington has implied in writing (North American Rifles II) that hunting w Weatherby rifles when Roy Wratherby was alive did not hurt ones chances of winning the award.

Craig Boddington tells a story how Roy Weatherby did not appear to enjoy a particular winner during his speech informing the audience he did not use Weatherby rifles.

Say what you want to about Craig Boddington. The man has sold more safaris then anyone alive. I know his articles, books, and shows got me hooked. I think him for taking us along with him through the written word and video camera. I hope he has 12 more whatever he wants to hunt left in him. And I get to read or watch it. If a particular piece is too commercialized, then I will just move on to the next one.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I have many of the early Weatherby catalogs and they feature the award. Interestinly, many Hollywood stars particiated back then with many pics of John Wayne and others who hunted with Weatherby rifles.
Tell me, I used to believe one had to hunt with Weatherby rifles(s) to get award. Any truth to this? Does it help?
Cal

I recently read the biography of Roy Weatherby and how he built and ran his company. He was a promoter - pure and simple. He was not the only one that capitalized on the fame of movie stars to sell guns. His manufacturing skills were lacking and he spent a lot of time raising money, getting parts built in Germany or Japan and then putting together a pretty rifle. The book is a fun read and worth anyone's time. He had some problems with business partners, particularly Herb Klein of Dallas.

As to the award, early on - yes - the implication was that the award went to folks that touted the virtues of the Weatherby rifle. I have read the bios or books by several of the winners. This award was a big deal and big party for the early Safari Club types that were in Southern California. Some of the early photos for the ceremony are a bit like the ESPY's now.

Weatherby set up a committee to search for winners. After awhile, there was some serious lobbying by various folks to win the award. When McElroy and company set up the participation trophy program with SCI, this award became even bigger.

In the old days, I think that there was some of the "I am in the club" kind of award winners. Nowadays, I think the resume as noted by Ivan Carter is predominant.

I have hunted with three PH's that guided eventual winners. Each said that the hunter/winner involved was a very driven person to get "body count" and that the self induced pressure to get that "next specie on the list" was high. One of the PH's mentioned that the ethics of the hunter/winner were not what they should be.

For me, I think Craig meets the criteria based on his body of work. I struggle a bit with a person being recognized for this type of award when said person is "in the business".

I have no interest in this sort of prize/recognition. For me, I would think that Peter Flack is the most qualified person on planet earth to receive this recognition, but he does not have the "body count" in terms of worldwide species.

If you are after awards, there are plenty of places to seek them out - SCI, DSC, Boone and Crockett, Wild Sheep Foundation, Ovis/GSC to name a few. I personally favor Boone and Crockett due to the way they investigate and verify the ethics and they use an independent scorer.

Honestly, I wish Bill Quimby would wade in on this as had a ring side seat for a lot of it.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Good on him ... Well done ... I used to love those Weatherby catalogues when I was a kid ... I still remember the cutest little petite woman posing with a jumbo and her 460 Weatherby rifle. Even back then I got to wondering .. Smiler

I could be wrong .. but didn't Jay Mellon win that award at age 29?

I remember her, too. A Countess, I believe.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Mellon was young. He is the reason Carnegie University is now named Carnegie-Mellon University.... I think.

I have read his book more times than I can count. When I was 18 it was a great resource. Now it is wishful thinking. He hasn't hunted in over 20 years, for anything other than squirrels.

Peter Flack has probably killed more animals in Africa of a wider variety than anyone else. He ought to win it, but I doubt he will.

There are several Spaniards that hunt as much currently as past Weatherby Awards Winners, and at least a German or two. I think another European will have a good shot. Rudolf Sand's son has killed the majority of the big species his father did.

Who knows. I would love to accomplish that much hunting, but I am not so

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Jay Mellon was young when he won the award. I do not know what age he was when this happened. He had nothing to do with Carnegie- Mellon University.He is from a very wealthy family. Mellon Bank,railroads, steel, oil.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Craig has asked me to post the following for him:

---------

Craig here, thanks so much for all the kind words. I am still in shock, expected it "someday" but not this year!
Wishing you all great hunting and straight shooting!

Craig Boddington
Colonel USMC (ret)
www.craigboddington.com
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialCraigBoddingtonPage
craig@craigboddington.com

--------

Dogcat:

I've only been a casual observer of the Weatherby Foundation's awards ceremonies, but I have known many of the recipients over the past 25-30 years and have helped a few of them publish their hunting memoirs.

I can say I know recipients who never hunted with a Weatherby rifle, but it may have been a requirement early in the program.

As for the possibility of Peter Flack receiving the Weatherby Award, Peter is a great guy who has hunted all over Africa, but the rules require that a nominee have hunted widely on "all continents supporting big game species."

Also, from the Weatherby website: "No one can win without a significant number of sheep, goats, chamois, the big five, spiral horned antelope, pygmy antelope, and most of the North American species. Collecting the Marco Polo, Mountain Nyala, Polar Bear, Markhor and other very difficult species weigh heavily in the judging."

"The Weatherby" truly is an international award. Non-Americans who have received it included: Francois Edmond-Blanc, France; Rudolf Sand, Denmark; Valentín de Madariaga y Oya, Spain; Dr. Carlo Caldesi Biella, Italy; Jacques Henrijean, Belgium; Hector Cuellar S., Mexico; Hubert Thummler, Mexico; Jesus Yuren, Mexico; E. Alward, Canada; Ricardo Medem, Spain; Enrique Zamacola Millet, Spain; Adrian Sada, Mexico; and Federico Sada, Mexico.

Today, the award is presented by the Weatherby Foundation, and previous recipients are among those who comprise the selection committee. As the website says, selection is based on hunting (65%), conservation (20%) and character (15%). I have no idea how many potential candidates have taken all the many species/subspecies that the committee looks for on an applicant's ballot, but an off-the-wall guess would be 100-150.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its over 300 species....

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

I can say I know recipients who never hunted with a Weatherby rifle, but it may have been a requirement early in the program.

Don't think so. Jack O'Connor and Warren Page were very early winners. From memory Page did have the 375 Wby calibre but not the Wby rifle.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started by reading Craig's articals in various hunting magazines. living vicariously through them,then graduated to Tracks Across africa . When I got to the place in my life where I could go on a Africa safari,Craig's writings where the inspiration . 14 safaris later and a full house of memories my thanks to him for getting me interested.
Had a chance to talk with him at the last SCI convention . He is a great guy and a gentleman.

Congratulations Craig.

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Craig, well done sir! We emailed back / forth last week about it, he's excited as he should be - its a great accomplishment for sure.

I first hunted with Craig when I was only 20 years old, helped him on a Colorado elk hunt. I then took him to a friend's place here in Denver - where we hunted "urban" Canadian geese together a couple of times - roughly 25 years ago as well. We've always stayed in touch, and Craig was definitely the "go to" guy of my era when considering who's in the know regarding world hunting / traveling.

Again, congrats to Mr. Boddington on what is really a life-time achievement for sure.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Jay Mellon was young when he won the award. I do not know what age he was when this happened. He had nothing to do with Carnegie- Mellon University.He is from a very wealthy family. Mellon Bank,railroads, steel, oil.

Looks like maybe not him, but his family had quit a bit to do with Carnegie Mellon University.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ie_Mellon_University

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Craig, well done and well deserved! You have been an inspiration to many as well as opening the door to International hunting for thousands.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Its over 300 species....

I don't know if there is a minimum number, but as the website says, there are certain types of animals a nominee is expected to have taken. I was referring to the number of living hunters I believe may have taken all those animals(and more)on six continents during their hunting careers.

Actually, I know very little about the Weatherby Foundation's award, other than what has rubbed off by attending its banquets and working with some of the recipients and nominees.

Craig is joining a distinguished group of big game hunters, and he deserves our applause and a big pat on his back.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Craig. Well rewarded!.

Will we get to read more articals about Weatherby rifles and calibers in the near future now?.. jumping

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Too bad we ran him off AR...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
Craig has asked me to post the following for him:

---------

Craig here, thanks so much for all the kind words. I am still in shock, expected it "someday" but not this year!
Wishing you all great hunting and straight shooting!

Craig Boddington
Colonel USMC (ret)
www.craigboddington.com
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialCraigBoddingtonPage
craig@craigboddington.com

--------

Dogcat:

I've only been a casual observer of the Weatherby Foundation's awards ceremonies, but I have known many of the recipients over the past 25-30 years and have helped a few of them publish their hunting memoirs.

As for the possibility of Peter Flack receiving the Weatherby Award, Peter is a great guy who has hunted all over Africa, but the rules require that a nominee have hunted widely on "all continents supporting big game species."

Also, from the Weatherby website: "No one can win without a significant number of sheep, goats, chamois, the big five, spiral horned antelope, pygmy antelope, and most of the North American species. Collecting the Marco Polo, Mountain Nyala, Polar Bear, Markhor and other very difficult species weigh heavily in the judging."

"The Weatherby" truly is an international award. Non-Americans who have received it included: Francois Edmond-Blanc, France; Rudolf Sand, Denmark; Valentín de Madariaga y Oya, Spain; Dr. Carlo Caldesi Biella, Italy; Jacques Henrijean, Belgium; Hector Cuellar S., Mexico; Hubert Thummler, Mexico; Jesus Yuren, Mexico; E. Alward, Canada; Ricardo Medem, Spain; Enrique Zamacola Millet, Spain; Adrian Sada, Mexico; and Federico Sada, Mexico.

Today, the award is presented by the Weatherby Foundation, and previous recipients are among those who comprise the selection committee. As the website says, selection is based on hunting (65%), conservation (20%) and character (15%). I have no idea how many potential candidates have taken all the many species/subspecies that the committee looks for on an applicant's ballot, but an off-the-wall guess would be 100-150.

Bill Quimby

Bill,
I am reading "The Weatherby - Stories from the Premier Big Game Hunters of the World 1956-2002"

Honestly, it is fascinating to read about each winner from inception to 2002. Each is discussed then a key story by each is in the book. Very well done and fun to read.

What I am seeing is a trend toward higher number of species and less focus on the non-hunting aspects of the award. The early guys did not shoot the 250+ species (some species were not available at the time)but many were very involved in the various conservation groups or founded groups. The guys born in before 1920 seemed to be more into the groups.

It is an insightful "read".

You can tell who was chasing the award and who was awarded the recognition because they truly were "sportsmen".

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Hi Ross:

Don't know if you noticed, and not to be bragging, but I wrote the chapter about C.J. McElroy in that book.

Bill Quimby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to own that book. It was a an "interesting" read as Ross says.

When I started to ex-pat full time I sold all my valuable books.

Mellon has probably done the least for anyone on that list, he wrote one book and never really hunted again after he got the award.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1956 – Herb W. Klein, Texas
g

1957 – Jack O’Connor, Idaho

1958 – Warren Page, Connecticut to me the best early writer on the list!

1959 – Berry B. Brooks, Tennessee

1960 – Elgin T. Gates, California capitol bullshit artist!

1961 – Julio E. Estrada, Mexico

1962 – H.I.H. Prince Abdorreza Pahlavi, Iran

1963 – John B. Lagarde, Alabama

1964 – Dr. Frank C. Hibben, New Mexico probably killed more of everything than aany American living today.

1965 – Francois Edmond-Blanc, France

1966 – Dr. W. Brandon Macomber, New York

1967 – Dan W. Maddox, Tennessee

1968 – Weir McDonald, Arizona

1969 – C.J. McElroy, Arizona

1970 – George H. Landreth, Texas

1971 – Juan Naude Cordova, Mexico

1972 – James R. Mellon, II, Pennsylvania

1973 – Basil C. Bradbury, Wyoming

1974 – Dr. Kenneth W. Vaughn, Oregon

1975 – No award

1976 – Rudolf Sand, Denmark

1977 – Valentín de Madariaga y Oya, Spain

1978 – Arthur W. Carlsberg, California

1979 – Dr. Robert E. Speegle, Texas

1980 – Watson T. Yoshimoto, Hawaii

1981 – Dr. Carlo Caldesi Biella, Italy

1982 – Glenn Slade, Texas

1983 – Mahlon T. (Butch) White, Colorado

1984 – Jacques Henrijean, Belgium

1985 – Thornton Snider, California

1986 – Hector Cuellar S., Mexico

1987 – Dr. James E. Conklin, Pennsylvania

1989 – Donald G. Cox, Michigan

1990 – Robert K. Chisholm, Kansas

1991 – Gary R. Ingersoll, Texas

1992 – Hubert Thummler, Mexico

1993 – L. Irvin Barnhart, Texas

1994 – Dr. Gerald L. Warnock, Oregon

1995 – Jesus Yuren, Mexico

1996 – Arnold E. Alward, Canada

1997 – Ricardo Medem, Spain one of the most famous hunters here in Europe. He has killed damn near one of everything.

1998 – Dan L. Duncan, Texas

1999 – Pete Papac, Washington

2000 – Enrique Zamacola Millet, Spain

2001 – Adrian Sada, Mexico

2002 – Rex Baker, Georgia

2003 – Mike Simpson, Texas

2004 – David J. Hanlin, Pennsylvania

2005 – Jimmie C. Rosenbruch, Alaska, I have been to his museum in St George Utah and spoke with him on the phone before.

2006 – Federico Sada, Mexico

2007 – Dr. Larry Rudolph, Pennsylvania

2008 – Alan Sackman, New York

2009 – Bruce Keller, Texas

2010 – Tony Gioffre, Ohio

2011 – Edward D. Yates, Pennsylvania

2012 – Thomas J. Hammond, Michigan

2013 – J. Alain Smith, Washington Interesting guy, I enjoy his show.

2014 – Renee Snider, California

2015 – Barbara Sackman, New York

2016 – Kenneth Barr, California

2017- Craig Boddington

I had thought that Andy Samuels had one, but it doesn't appear as though he did.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I have the book too. I really enjoyed the story by Thornton Snider. Just try to do a hunt like that today.

The book also pretty much dispels the myth that it's all about trophies and big egos. Each story is a pretty down to earth hunting tale.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those of you that are drinking buds of the Colonel, I'd appreciate if you ask him if he feels any guilt for playing Marine in the Kansas ROTC while the rest of kids his age were getting killed and maimed in a far away land.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
For those of you that are drinking buds of the Colonel, I'd appreciate if you ask him if he feels any guilt for playing Marine in the Kansas ROTC while the rest of kids his age were getting killed and maimed in a far away land.

He served with my generation in Iraq and Afghanistan. Did you make a career of it like a lot of us did?

He stood the watch. Not sure what your bitch is. He doesn't owe anyone to your generation for his service. He did damn near 35 years including several years of active duty. Who the hell can argue with that I did 20 all active and I don't have a problem with it, and I lost tons of people in that 20 years. Some people will retire as Generals and some will retire as Lance Corporals because they got blown up, all of those people have a DD214 that says honorable retirement.

I met him in 2008 or 2009 as an E6 and he signed everyone of his books (I owned all of them) personally to me. He had just been through the bullshit of his Generals NJP, and forced retirement.

He's a nice guy and he served, what more do you want?