THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Nyimba man eater slain. Message from Fairgame
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nyimba man eater slain. Message from Fairgame
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt...what a story..an experience for life...!

Reminds me a little about a story I read from Zambia in 1988, two norwegian hunters on a chasse libre in the bush, the hunt was for buffalo, they only had a well used Cogswell & Harrison .375H&H mauser and shot in turns. All went well and they made up a lot of biltong to dry.
The two of them then drove to Lusaka with the Landrover...to get one of them on a plane home..
Meanwhile the trackers stayed in the bush to guard the biltong...two lions got very cheeky during the night and approached up to the fire several times...one of the trackers decided to take a stand armed only with an axe....and kept the fire frantically going trough the night..

All went well, but what a story....and what a brave african..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by poacher458:
and Andrew put two in it's chest.

With his 500NE?

First blood mate. However I shot low on the charge as I could not see my site. The shot blew up a cloud of dust that may have saved us. However Thor had connected with his .458 and this evened up things a bit.

We saved the double for the close encounters.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Andrew and Thor,

Having been on foot, late at night, in thick Zambia bush, on the track of a wounded Lion, armed with a .458Lott, accompanied only by my PH, and with other lions about, I can honestly say that it was the most terrifying time of my life, including 415 days in combat. But one does what is necessary. Fortunately he was dead when we found him.

Well done and good on you both. Nobody can imagine what this is like unless they've experienced it (and there ain't too many of us left) and reading about it will not adequately convey the sense of foreboding. That's him in my avatar.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Andrew and Thor,

Having been on foot, late at night, in thick Zambia bush, on the track of a wounded Lion, armed with a .458Lott, accompanied only by my PH, and with other lions about, I can honestly say that it was the most terrifying time of my life, including 415 days in combat. But one does what is necessary. Fortunately he was dead when we found him.

Well done and good on you both. Nobody can imagine what this is like unless they've experienced it (and there ain't too many of us left) and reading about it will not adequately convey the sense of foreboding. That's him in my avatar.

Mike,

This is nothing compared to what you soldiers go through.

The follow up was 16 hours but mostly in a car. We spent 4 chilly hours within 5 yards of the cat thinking he was on his way out. When it got light we continued on foot.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Deciding to wait in the car for first light may well have saved your or Thor's life! Sometimes the difference between smart and lucky is immeasurable! Wink

In my case, we also gave up on the nighttime search after perhaps an hour on foot. Just not a good option - incredibly dangerous! We found him stone dead, almost immediately at first light, 50 yards from where I shot him. His weight was estimated at 550 lbs and he was the largest Lion taken in Zambia and 10 or 11 in the world at the time. Also, very little mane, but he did have all his canines.

I note your comment about spending 4 hours only 5 yards from the Lion. Unless people have hunted them they really cannot understand how such a huge animal can be so incredibly difficult to see in the bush. I've also had Cape Buffalo appear as close as 10 feet to 7 yards IFO me without knowing they were anywhere near us. In fact, all DG has uncanny ability to remain silent and hidden from sight, even where it appears there is virtually no cover. Perhaps that is part of what makes them so exciting to pursue.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I decided to call a halt when the spotlight failed and Thor stood on the hood of the car shining a failing torch into the gloom. We were getting tired and sloppy. Besides we had lost the blood spoor.

He just refused to go back to the village without that cat.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Well done! Glad both of you made it through without injuries.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kudos on sticking it out guys. i can remember a wounded lion in the high grass at 11:30 at night. I believe my pants are still a bit wet from that one

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is just flipping incredible!
I have to admire both of you for having balls of steel to see this through to a good ending.
I AM IN AWE!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Picture showing Thor's last shot between the nose and eye on the right side of it's face.

The blood is the result of the neck shot some 16 hours earlier.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, fantastic stuff. Maybe I missed it but was the other lion not involved in the man eating?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dyker:
Fairgame, fantastic stuff. Maybe I missed it but was the other lion not involved in the man eating?

The female is still at large she is heading out of the communal belt back into the Luangwa valley.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

With his 500NE?

First blood mate. However I shot low on the charge as I could not see my site. The shot blew up a cloud of dust that may have saved us. However Thor had connected with his .458 and this evened up things a bit.

I once opened a tent at night to face a Lion at ten meters. From that night I vowed not to own an open sighted rifle without a flip up night sight. Those sights are great. Do you have one on your rifle?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

With his 500NE?

I once opened a tent at night to face a Lion at ten meters. From that night I vowed not to own an open sighted rifle without a flip up night sight. Those sights are great. Do you have one on your rifle?

I have a large flip up ivory? bead which I could not see. Only had a split second and decided to point and shoot. I was amazed that I missed and can only think I shot low - hence the dust. If the bead was luminous it would have helped.

We had planned to use a scoped rifle together with a torch which I had in my other hand but had to drop it when the charge occurred. Fortunately the double was loaded.

After the first shot I was very un decisive whether I time to reload or not. But did anyway as it would have been pretty pointless having a double on site.

When shit happens it happens fast.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Exciting stuff mate!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The female is still at large she is heading out of the communal belt back into the Luangwa valley.

If she was in the company of the now defunct male it stands to reason that she is a man-eater as well.

Question: which of the two was responsible for the killer attacks - the male or the female or both?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:
quote:

If she was in the company of the now defunct male it stands to reason that she is a man-eater as well.

Question: which of the two was responsible for the killer attacks - the male or the female or both?

Agreed mate. The communities are monitoring her movements but looks like she has departed.

She was there during the final scene but we could not get a shot in. Hopefully she will be very wary of humans now.

Note the cattle that were killed in the kraals were pulled over the fence and it is the male who had the strength to do this.

I suspect the tooth infection had something to do with his antics.

Never got to do an autopsy.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdopXhi94ug

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdopXhi94ug

Thanks for posting that Andrew. I love Africa!!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

That video was very special. Congrats on the successful completion of a service almost never necessary in most of the rest of today's world.

Good job! You and Thor have my admiration.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Andrew and Thor...... tu2 tu2 tu2

Well done!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
That video made me very happy. Thank you

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Very good! Now THIS is what AR is really about.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Amen! tu2 WOW! Incredible! Hey, whatever happened with the black mamba?

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Amen! tu2 WOW! Incredible! Hey, whatever happened with the black mamba?

After this I'd probably guess he's wearing the dang thing as a belt.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BaxterBone of us posted document.write('<nobr>'+ myTimeZone('Thu, 30 May 2013 13:10:06 GMT-0700', '31 May 2013 01:10')+'</nobr>');31 May 2013 01:1031 May 2013 01:10Hide PostVery good! Now THIS is what AR is really about.

Agreed!!!
Like the lion celebration for Frostbits lion, I thought they were going to break into the long version of Inagagdavita.
Granny still gets her groove on doesn't she?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I can see the movie credits rolling now...

"NYIMBA MAN EATER"

Brad Pitt as Andrew Baldry
Hugh Jackman as Thor Kircher
Samuel L. Jackson as "The Chief"
Beyonce, Halle Berry, & Rhianna as "the Topless Dancing Girls"
dancing

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
...of course the movie will also have to have a full mane, black-nosed, 6+ year old lion! Cool

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
...of course the movie will also have to have a full mane, black-nosed, 6+ year old lion! Cool

And I will be wearing one of Craig's shirts.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
fairgame

Are you writing up the full story from beginning to end ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
The Lion was relatively immature and estimated at 4 years. The front left canine was missing and there was infection in the cavity.

if the lion was only 4, no way should you have shot him. the proper thing to do would have been to let him kill you both and be properly aged in 2-3 years to see if he was a legitimate trophy beer

yuck Good job gentlemen.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Andrew, that is some scary stuff! I don’t think there is anything on this Earth that frightens me like a big African lion, especially in the dark! I’m not afraid of Cape buffalo at all as long as I can see him, and I have an adequate rifle in my hands, but the African lion simply scares hell out of me. I have little trouble keeping my wits about me to shoot well while being confronted by buffalo. However anyone who thinks he will be able to do as well with a wounded lion closing on him fast as lightening is IMO alluding himself!

Andrew my PH, Simon Eldridge, and I were sitting around the fire one night in the Luangwa Valley, and Simon told me a story about a client, and himself sitting in a grass blind on a lion bait near the Luangwa River. The hippo had two big holes cut in each side to allow the lions to feed inside. The lions came in about six o:clock in the evening but were only lionesses, and half grown cubs and one two year old male. Nothing big enough to shoot.

They waited to see if a big male would come in, and he never did, but the other lions did not leave but moved away from the bait, and bedded down all around the blind, within 10 feet of the wall on all sides, and it got dark. The lions stayed there and the client and Simon were trapped in the blind. After about 30 minutes the client started to panic, and whispered to Simon that he wanted to flee the blind to climb a tree about 15 feet away. Simon told the client that he would never make the tree before one of those lions would be all over him.

Like you guys they had to spend all the dark hours in that little flimsy grass blind and dared not make a sound for about 12 hours. When day break came the lions went back to the bait, and still did not leave. Simon and the client eased out of the blind from the back and made their way back to the hunting car. The client was someone I knew, and when I asked him about the happening after I returned to the USA, and he got immediately angry, and said “that was funny as hell to Simon, but that was a damn dangerous situation, and I don’t think it was funny at all”! If you get a chance to talk to Simon, ask him about that story, and I’ll bet my next retirement check he will laugh his butt off. I on the other hand I would have not found it funny at all if it had been me, but I wouldn’t have wanted to get out of that blind with even one lion within 15 feet, much less 10 or 12 lionesses and cubs there!
.................................................................... shocker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Andrew, that is some scary stuff! I don’t think there is anything on this Earth that frightens me like a big African lion, especially in the dark! I’m not afraid of Cape buffalo at all as long as I can see him, and I have an adequate rifle in my hands, but the African lion simply scares hell out of me. I have little trouble keeping my wits about me to shoot well while being confronted by buffalo. However anyone who thinks he will be able to do as well with a wounded lion closing on him fast as lightening is IMO alluding himself!

Andrew my PH, Simon Eldridge, and I were sitting around the fire one night in the Luangwa Valley, and Simon told me a story about a client, and himself sitting in a grass blind on a lion bait near the Luangwa River. The hippo had two big holes cut in each side to allow the lions to feed inside. The lions came in about six o:clock in the evening but were only lionesses, and half grown cubs and one two year old male. Nothing big enough to shoot.

They waited to see if a big male would come in, and he never did, but the other lions did not leave but moved away from the bait, and bedded down all around the blind, within 10 feet of the wall on all sides, and it got dark. The lions stayed there and the client and Simon were trapped in the blind. After about 30 minutes the client started to panic, and whispered to Simon that he wanted to flee the blind to climb a tree about 15 feet away. Simon told the client that he would never make the tree before one of those lions would be all over him.

Like you guys they had to spend all the dark hours in that little flimsy grass blind and dared not make a sound for about 12 hours. When day break came the lions went back to the bait, and still did not leave. Simon and the client eased out of the blind from the back and made their way back to the hunting car. The client was someone I knew, and when I asked him about the happening after I returned to the USA, and he got immediately angry, and said “that was funny as hell to Simon, but that was a damn dangerous situation, and I don’t think it was funny at all”! If you get a chance to talk to Simon, ask him about that story, and I’ll bet my next retirement check he will laugh his butt off. I on the other hand I would have not found it funny at all if it had been me, but I wouldn’t have wanted to get out of that blind with even one lion within 15 feet, much less 10 or 12 lionesses and cubs there!
.................................................................... shocker

Mac,

All this happened very close to Simon's estate in the Luangwa at Ndevu. In fact he pitched for a chat when we were packing up.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1288 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

Brilliant. Reminds me of Corbett and his man-eaters, albiet those were tigers. Looking forward to hearing the whole story.

Glad both of you are well and safe!

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:

And I will be wearing one of Craig's shirts.

Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Well done gents, sounds like it was a close call!! Andrew confirm your star fish ate your underwear?????hahaha

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Hi Andrew,
Are you and Thor writing this up? I imagine there are a few members who would like to hear the details and learn the lessons.
Best wishes from my sad London office,
Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
Hi Andrew,
Are you and Thor writing this up? I imagine there are a few members who would like to hear the details and learn the lessons.
Best wishes from my sad London office,
Milo.

It is presently been written up for publication.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal