THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Nyimba man eater slain. Message from Fairgame
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nyimba man eater slain. Message from Fairgame
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Message from Fairgame:

The man eater of Nyimba was shot by Thor Kircher and myself at 9am yesterday morning at a few paces and after an extremely hairy all night pursuit through grass and thicket. Thor head shot it at close range.

Never in our lives had we experienced such an intense and frightening set of events, and the full story will be told at later date.

The night before Thor and I were charged by two Lions at close quarters in the dark and on our way to a blind. It was totally unexpected and we had to shoot our way out, however Thor had hit the male in the neck.

This was just the start of what was the greatest and most harrowing events of our lives.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 314 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lion was relatively immature and estimated at 4 years. The front left canine was missing and there was infection in the cavity.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 314 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys are ok. Bit of a hairy as we say.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thor and Andrew,

Glad you guys came through unscathed. I'm looking forward to the full story.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Thor and Andrew,

Glad you guys came through unscathed. I'm looking forward to the full story.

Mark

+1. Was the lion that was shot the same one that was wounded on the way into blind? Must have been a frightening experience.

Mike

Posts: 21240 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I managed to shoot it in the neck but as it was dark we were not sure of the shot although there was lots of blood. We followed the blood trail and finally put it down early yesterday morning. I shot it in the head and Andrew put two in it's chest.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know you guys, but I'm sure glad to hear that you're still with us. Hope you each took a heart pill.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who has experienced a double Lion charge at night?

Andrew will tell the story.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
munyamadzi@live.com

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poacher458:

Well told it will be.

Glad you both are safe Thor. Well done.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who has experienced a double Lion charge at night?

Wally Johnson and Fred Bear were "trapped" in the blind by 2 lions. One of which Fred killed with a bow. The other was very angry and Fred, Wally and the crew made a run for it..successfully I might add. That hunt made them both more famous than they already were.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear both of you gentlemen are unharmed... must be a helluva story. Can't wait to read it!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Thor and Andrew,

Job well done. I'm sure it will be an exciting story and I look forward to reading about it.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you gentleman are ok!

Getting charged by lions at night has got to make a persons backdoor tighten considerably!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, they're still out there, aren't they? Looking forward to the tale.

From the pictures, it appears to be another maneless lion. So was the Mfuwe maneater as well as the famous Tsavo twins. How many others, I don't know, and perhaps it's just coincidence.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Thor and Andrew!
Sounds like a bloodcurdling story. Looking forward to read it.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Wow

Can't wait to hear it from you around camp fire THE WHOLE STORY,.,.,,

Really Wish I was there .......

Bloody exciting stuff

Do you remember when I was in camp with you last year we went out to check the leopard bait at night on day

5 and the lions came

Something like this could have happened

Mr Sullivan this is the real DG hunt

jumping jumping

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well done! Very happy to hear that the lion is dead and that you are not! Dangerous business, indeed. Nothing like stalking a lion, not to mention a wounded lion and at night! Needless to say, I and many others are looking forward to the full story.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
True "Ghost and Darkness" stuff!

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
Thor and Andrew,

Job well done. I'm sure it will be an exciting story and I look forward to reading about it.

George

Me too! Glad you are both Ok, a story to tell your children and grandchildren to be sure! Maybe a book?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You guys lived up what Ive read about when I was young.
unbelievable, love it, glad you are OK.
Can't wait to read about that.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thor,
You sure seem to get yourself into some sticky situations! Great job once again on handling it so well.I wish I was there for backupSmiler (way backup!!)

Bill

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
if Thor or Andrew were a squirrel....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thor - You've come a long way since 2007 my friend, happy for you both.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lion was relatively immature and estimated at 4 years. The front left canine was missing and there was infection in the cavity.

if the lion was only 4, no way should you have shot him. the proper thing to do would have been to let him kill you both and be properly aged in 2-3 years to see if he was a legitimate trophy beer

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another day in the bush eh?
Glad to hear no bandaids were needed,
theres been enough of that lately.
Also looking forward to the details

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to read the story. Finally something worth reading on AR....... Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally something worth reading on AR

How very true Big Grin couldn't agree more

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
and Andrew put two in it's chest.

With his 500NE?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Location in the photographs looks like a proper place from which to ambush you. Glad you came out on top. Hat off to you both.

Milo.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Glad I'm just going to be reading about it. Probably too much excitement for me.

We have probably all had that occasion when you are stealthily tip-toeing around the bush, hunting for a bush duiker or something, you come out of the tall grass to a small clearing and there is fresh lion sign all around. Your senses go into overdrive of course, you look around but all you see is high grass.

I can't imagine what Andrew and Thor went through must feel like. I'd probably bust some sort of anatomical gasket.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you are both safe.

I have goose bumps just reading this!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowstone:
Wow, they're still out there, aren't they? Looking forward to the tale.

From the pictures, it appears to be another maneless lion. So was the Mfuwe maneater as well as the famous Tsavo twins. How many others, I don't know, and perhaps it's just coincidence.

Also missing a canine which seems to be a common factor in maneaters.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

With his 500NE?

Perhaps he finally took delivery of his 450/400 from Peter Nerving ?

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Good job men!

How many pairs of underwear are involved in an escapade like this? Gives new meaning to the phrase "HOLY SHIT" !

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAHA nice one ghostbird....
Well done to both am sure people in Nyimba are very relieved..
Bwana Fairgame needs to look for a publisher and add his name to the list of African Hunting authors Cool

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
This is tongue in cheek!!!
You guys are going to begrudge a handsome kitty cat the odd native as dinner until his tooth heals?
That seems a bit close minded don't cha think?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I offered to come immediantly and assist with getting rid of the terrible brutes.
Little did I realize that they were going after the cats Big Grin
Me thinks I am glad I stayed home. Really want to hear the full story sometime. It should be awesome and this is the kind of thing I look forward to in the AR Forums

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
WOW !!! That must have been exciting. Thanks for sharing.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Just got back into town and still trying to absorb that incredible experience.

Thor and I were serenaded by maidens and joyous crowds flocked the car en route to the Boma. The communities of Nyimba were alive with song.

The man eater was unceremoniously strapped to the top of the car for all to see.

Thor and I never got to get any trophy photos but then again this was not a trophy hunt. The beast was whisked away by Government officials to be shown to other people of importance.

The story is one of extremes, of luck and perseverance. Our best laid plans went horribly wrong one balmy evening and I for one feared for my life.

Thor is the hero here and spent ten days in the footsteps of these Lions. When I caught up with him at midnight having travelled through the night he was on fresh tracks and we could hear the village dogs baying in the gloomy distance.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carl Frederik Nagell
posted Hide Post
Wow thats great. I think I must book a hunt with you just to hear that story in person.

Good Hunting
CF

Posts: 489 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 March 2007Reply With Quote