THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanz buffalo hunt $$$$ compared to Zim
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanz buffalo hunt $$$$ compared to Zim
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
dogleg: could you post pictures of the buffs taken during that hunt last year? I was out at sea and missed the report. Thanks, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Don't like the public airing of private laundry.

IMHO, Tanzania is the best there is and is worth the cost, painful as it well may be to pay it. Plain and simple.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13661 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Here you go, my one and only buffalo at least for now.It went 35.5" spread and had a green score of 95 by the other method. It's average and I'm happy with it for a first buffalo. I got a 35 1/2" eland as well. Hard to score a giraffe or zebra.
Wink

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Wow:
Neat thread....
" I have unleashed the uninformed to spew their ignorance ..."
Strong words. That sentence is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen made, by a guy trying to pimp hunts in Africa. Your just kidding, right Mark?
Your just trying to pimp your hunts in Africa? You can make a few more bucks from one hunt rather than the other hunt? Isn't that the original intent of your post? Come on buddy, fess up!
You just "shit in your mess kit" when you insulted Yukon. I read his post, twice, it did not deserve your response.
By the way, forget doing the PM thing, I don't read them. If you need to say anything to me, say it here, where God and everybody can read it.
PS....I hope you have an alternative occupation planned, you may need it.
Good luck buddy....

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen! Gentlemen! No need for the public hanging I'm witnessing here! Stop and think how many times you personally have become angry and said words that were hard to get out, because your foot was planted firmly in your mouth! Nobody is immune to the foot & mouth desease, and the best of us fall prey to that afliction on occasion. EVEN ME! Big Grin

Lets just drop this before some more damage is done! IMO, it has already gone too far, so if you guys want to continue this line, that fine, but it will be without anymore input from me! thumbdown

........ Good day Gentlemen! wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I disagree that the PM from Mark to Yukon should have stayed in private. Mark is a "professional" and is using this forum to promote his business. I saw nothing in Yukons reply that was offensive or distasteful, he only offered his opinion about the question posed by Mark. I enjoy the opportunity presented by this forum to exchane ideas and hear different opinions about any and all topics.

Mark was completey out of line with his comments " I have unleashed the uninformed to spew their ignorance ...", and then followed that up with a personal attack offline. I personnaly find his behavior unproffessional. Maybe I am missing something here, I don't know Mark and have never dealt with him, maybe he was just having a bad day, it happens to everyone.

A booking agent using a private message for a personal attack on a member here shows a lack of character and integrity to me and I am grateful that Yukon shared that information. The PM wasn't used to address a diffenece of opinions, but rather as a personal attack on Yukon, insulting him and his religion. Mark has had and still does have the opportunity to set this straight, but to date it appears to me that he believes his is justified in what he did. The professionals here on this forum should hold themselves to a higher standard.

MacD37 - Mark can end this any time he wants to, own up to having a bad day and appologize to Yukon.

Shaun

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess everyone has forgotten the hunters who got screwed over in Tanzania last year?

I did? Funny I don't recall. If you consider the total of $1100.00 extra in trophy fees that I finally had to pay on 2 buff, wildebeest, impala, wartie, waterbuck, bushbuck and zebra getting "screwed over", I don't.
BTW my only dealings with Mark Young were that he helped me set up the photo safari before my hunt and he was extremely helpful and absolutely first rate. I would not hesitate to use him for my future hunts and would have used him on this hunt if I had been aware of his services before it was booked.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very interested in this topic, because I am comparing the two countries for a hunt in 2009, 2008 is already scheduled and on the books so other than the "nasties" among some of the posters this has been very helpful for me. I need a good buffalo and both countries are posibilities.
As for the dirty laundry, it is very easy to say things on line that you would never say to another mans face. Also, things written can also sound harsher than they might be meant to. I have had several people bash me online here for no real reason in the past other than to just beat their chest, I sent both my real address to come repeat what they printed in person, so far, no one has showed up.

This website has been very informative and helpful to me in the past and look forward to learning from others experiences in the future. It is always great advise that if you write something in anger hold it a day and re-read it, edit it, then push send...Let's go hunting and have some fun!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You certainly do not need me to tell you how to run your business ...

He needs someone to.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
[QUOTE] I guess everyone has forgotten the hunters who got screwed over in Tanzania last year?

I did? Funny I don't recall. If you consider the total of $1100.00 extra in trophy fees that I finally had to pay on 2 buff, wildebeest, impala, wartie, waterbuck, bushbuck and zebra getting "screwed over", I don't.

If you don't think you were screwed, then I guess you weren't. Those forced to pay much more than a piddly $1100 might disagree with you though.What about those that cancelled safaris when informed that their lion and elephants had gone through the roof? My only point was that on a cost comparison it might be worth noting that one country has recently changed prices mid-stream and some people got hurt.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Dogleg,
It was good to share a camp with you last year. Hope you have a great hunt this year.
I am trying for next year.
Stay safe.

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlemen! Gentlemen! No need for the public hanging I'm witnessing here! Stop and think how many times you personally have become angry and said words that were hard to get out, because your foot was planted firmly in your mouth! Nobody is immune to the foot & mouth desease, and the best of us fall prey to that afliction on occasion. EVEN ME! Big Grin

Lets just drop this before some more damage is done! IMO, it has already gone too far ....

Well said Mac.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a good lesson. I guy just wants to take advantage of anothers generosity and scrounge up some clients for free. It turns out to not be free after all.

I also agree that PMs should be private. Many of us not just Mark try vary hard to project a personable persona on the forum in order to scrounge up business or to just hide the fact that we are pricks. If Marks PMs are published where will it end? Its the thin edge of the wedge gentlemen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDHall:
Saeed,

I disagree that the PM from Mark to Yukon should have stayed in private. Mark is a "professional" and is using this forum to promote his business.Shaun

Yes, Mark is using the public portion of this forum to publicize and promote hunts. (He is also using it to exchange information on rifles and loads and such and many non-business purposes, just as all of us interested in African hunting are.) But he is obviously not doing that on the private messaging portion of this forum, if for no other reason that one cannot publicize or promote a hunt in a pivate setting.

I believe that Mark had a reasonable expectation that private exchanges would stay that way, as they should abscent consent from both sides of a private exchange.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
I can tell you I won't be booking with Mark after what he said to me. I'll continue booking with Wendell Reich, independent operators and others.

Here is part of what he said and it's a direct quote, "You obviously are a little pompous ass who has learned nothing from life or your God." Mark thinks I shouldn't post because I don't know as much as he does...and I'm the pompous one? Roll Eyes

I know that some people think PMs should be kept private and some do not. Personally I think it is fine to make a PM public unless both parties agree in advance that the content will be kept confidential. In particular, unsolicited nasty PMs are fair game for public reproduction IMO.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate to do this...
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlemen! Gentlemen! No need for the public hanging I'm witnessing here! Stop and think how many times you personally have become angry and said words that were hard to get out, because your foot was planted firmly in your mouth! Nobody is immune to the foot & mouth desease, and the best of us fall prey to that afliction on occasion. EVEN ME!

But I just couldn't agree more...
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe the PM feature means just what it says...a Private Message. Making public what is said or written in private is not in good taste, IMO, regardless of the content.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For those who may have overlooked it, here's the only interpretation of AR's "Private Messaging" venue that counts:

quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

I find it very distasteful for anyone to post the content of a PM!

What is said in private, should remain in private!

I fully support this view.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to bring us back on track about the sport we all love.

Here is another hunt which I was fortunate enough to book in Zimbabwe. I had tried very hard to afford more but this was where I felt my allotted budget could carry me.

In September.
10 day 1x1 buff all inclusive $9000
4 extra days for Hippo and Croc @ $700
Hippo and Croc at $3000
Leopard at $3500 (If)
Plainsgame at fees
Hwange area.
2% tourism levy
No travel fee
Dip/Pack based upon total of animals taken $500 or $700 up.
Pick up and return to airport.

I thought this to be a good alternative to the other hunts I investigated and especially since I really wanted to take Buff in a remote area.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Q's:
The four extra days = $700/day or total?
The hippo and croc trophy fees = $3000/ea or together?

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer is simply don't say things in a PM that you wouldn't say on the forum.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I disagree that the PM from Mark to Yukon should have stayed in private. Mark is a "professional" and is using this forum to promote his business. I saw nothing in Yukons reply that was offensive or distasteful, he only offered his opinion about the question posed by Mark. I enjoy the opportunity presented by this forum to exchane ideas and hear different opinions about any and all topics

Exactly! If a person who posts here or any forum, for personal gain, lowers himself to name calling via a PM, those remarks should be made public so that everyone knows who or what they are dealing with. The customer is always right, swallow your pride, which is hard for some to do. Taxidermists and booking agents have a tendency to think they know all, and tell you so!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to respond to PM when the sender locks it. Chickensh.. if you ask me.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Taxidermists and booking agents have a tendency to think they know all, and tell you so!

As opposed to the many other members here, eh? rotflmo

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I agree with JPK, Mac and Allout... let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

We all wake up on the wrong side of the bed on occasion... I know I have and Will and Ray do most mornings Big Grin so I think we let this one die fellas and pick on old Bob Mugabe or something!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Frank,

Q's:
The four extra days = $700/day or total?
The hippo and croc trophy fees = $3000/ea or together?

Thanks,

Sorry, yes $700/day and yes, Each.
Frank

JPK

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank.

Free 500grains

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
DPhillips,
I do not understand your post. How do you lock a private message?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pics, Dogleg. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:
DPhillips,

I don't know how you do that, but the PM sent to YD from Mark was locked by Mark so that YD couldn't reply. I see no recourse from YD, no matter what Saeed says, except to respond through this thread.

Like I said, it's chickensh__ to not allow a person to respond to your PM and don't blame YD at all in posting it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips:
quote:
DPhillips,

I don't know how you do that, but the PM sent to YD from Mark was locked by Mark so that YD couldn't reply. I see no recourse from YD, no matter what Saeed says, except to respond through this thread.

Like I said, it's chickensh__ to not allow a person to respond to your PM and don't blame YD at all in posting it.

DPhillips,

If a sender can really "lock" a PM so that the recipient cannot respond, then why wouldn't a recipient interested in responding just start a new PM to the originator?

JPK

Free 500grains

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

To each his own I suppose. But, as far as I am concerned, a PRIVATE MESSAGE should remain private between whoever is exchanging it., unless both parties agree to make it public.

It is no difference than having a confidencial conversation with someone and he breaks that trust and airs it in public.

It is called breaking the trust. It is no difference than lying, and that is not a very nice name to be known as.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
quote:
DPhillips,

DPhillips,

If a sender can really "lock" a PM so that the recipient cannot respond, then why wouldn't a recipient interested in responding just start a new PM to the originator?

JPK

Who cares? When someone sends a PM in such belligirent manner as was sent YD, who cares if it is posted in the thread that it was in response to or not?

A booking agent that uses these forums as portal for their business is showing their true colors in the Private Messages to other members. If I was thinking of booking with Adam Clements, don't you think I'd like to know what the booking agent was like when things go south?

We book hunts through booking agents because we think we can trust them if things go wrong. Otherwise, what's the point? If someone is going to treat me the way that PM insuinated, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DON'T GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO RESPOND, when things go wrong, do you seriously think I would ever trust that agent?

How someone sends you a PM or responds to one is their character. I can't trust someone who responded to YD's post in that way. I don't see how anyone else could. I'm sure that Adam and Mark offer some fine hunts, but that is not what I go through an agent for, I go through an agent to represent me when things go wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

DPhillips,

According to your post, quoted above, you care.

You mention trust in your post several times, perhaps regarding the wrong party, See, for example, Saeed's post.

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
If someone wants to send me a PM as bad as the one sent to YD, I'll have no trouble posting it on the open forum. If you want to be a SOB, then show your true colors and show it to the whole forum. No sense in being a crybaby about it when you are a bastard to someone then get exposed....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If someone wants to send me a PM as bad as the one sent to YD, I'll have no trouble posting it on the open forum. If you want to be a SOB, then show your true colors and show it to the whole forum. No sense in being a crybaby about it when you are a bastard to someone then get exposed....

BTW, I did not mean JPK in this quote, I was speaking in general...

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
No sense in being a crybaby about it when you are a bastard to someone then get exposed....

That is PRECISELY the impression I get of someone posting a PM!

There is absolutely no other reason for it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You don't make derogatory comments about a man's family, occupation, or religion. It's in exceedingly poor taste and almost always perceived as offensive. Regardless of the PM controversy it's just poor form!!! thumbdown With that being said we all have bad days and saying things we shouldn't happens to the best of us. Please let us all move on!!!!!!!!!

Let's continue with Tanzania-vs-Zimbabwe. For me comparing Tanzania to Zimbabwe is apples to oranges not apples to apples. Part of the reason I chose to hunt Tanzania 2 years ago was the history and mystique of East Africa. Call me a sentimental wussy or what have you, but I'm a young guy and I grew up reading stories about hunting in East Africa, so for me when I think Africa I think Kenya, Tanzania, the Selous, Masailand, the Serengeti. Even if everything else was the same between the two countries it's just not apples to apples with me! To me the sentiment and the diversity of game make Tanzania more than worth any extra money. I suppose if all you care about is shooting a buffalo then Zimbabwe is your place, but to me safari is about more than killing to fill a list or the wall.

Someone posted about the uncertainty of hunting Tanzania due to the possiblity of fees being randomly increased. I think that's just as likely to happen in any other country as in Tanzania. If anything it MAY be less likely to happen in Tanzania because of the stink it caused the Tanzania Game Department last year.

My 2 cents.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
No sense in being a crybaby about it when you are a bastard to someone then get exposed....

That is PRECISELY the impression I get of someone posting a PM!

There is absolutely no other reason for it.

Then why make the PM where it can't be responded to? You and I are posting on an open forum and we disagree. No problem there... I have always viewed PM's as off topic discussions or to get more details. But if anyone sends a PM with derogatory language and locks it so I can't respond, why would I not respond in front of everyone? The original sender is to scared to hear from me in the PM, but wants to be heard by me, unopposed? That's not how things work and you know it...

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DPhillips
....... as bad as the one sent to YD, ............. If you want to be a SOB, then show your true colors .............No sense in being a crybaby about it when you are a bastard..........

You have got to be kidding.

I must have missed the part where AR was populated with third grade little girls. The abject hatred displayed (ad nauseum,) in this thread is immature and nothing else. Mark, (my friend,) sent a PM venting his displeasure or dislike or anger and Bryan decided to share with all. Ok,......so what! These two could quite happily spend the rest of their lives ignoring each other and not one poster would notice. "Goodness! the guy in Cody is mad at the guy in Anchorage! Twitter twitter twitter!" Well what fun would that be? Lets pound the both of them right thru the bottom of the keyboard because we're all anonamous cowards and have nothing better to do.

Grow up!

It seems far to late to make a sensible suggestion, but what the hell, I'll give it a whirl. Since both jackasses in question have been "One of Us" for several or many years, and have the proud even gilded distinction of almost inumerable posts, don't you think perhaps just a fraction of a second before rushing to judgement one could search back thru old posts from jackass number one and two and maybe try and make an educated decision about their character? You know, maybe read more than two or half a dozen posts before concluding?

Nah! What fun would that be?

Posts: 9480 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote