New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant with Bows and Spears
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found a movie clip of someone shooting an elephant with a bow and what I believe is an eventual kill with a rifle from the PH. I believe that the PH shot the charging elephant with the rifle at his hip but I’m not sure…

Click on the below website:
http://www.livehunt.com/mediaplayer/mediaplayer.php

Once on the website (You DO NOT need a username and password):

1) In Video Category box, select “African Safarisâ€
2) In Sub Category box, select “Zimbabwe Wildlife Safarisâ€

Click on the second piciture with the elephant (Zimbabwe Safaris presents the Best Hunts of 2004 Part 1 of 6) and watch the movie (the elephant with bow and the eventual rifle kill starts at about 108 seconds). The end of the movie shows several slow motions of the elephant kill.

Video clip of killing elephant with spears:

1) While you’re in the Video Category box of “African Safaris,â€in the Sub Category box, select “McCann Huntsâ€
2) Click on the third picture of the elephant with his ears spread out (Bryan and Bobbie McCann’s Hunting Adventures in Africa Part 2 of 5, spear hunting) and watch the movie.

While you’re on the same page, you should look at the other movie clips, there are crazy clips.

For bow hunters, there are a lot of video clips of bowhunting kills in Africa under the Video Category of “African Safaris†and selecting any of the Sub Categories.

Posts: 64 | Location: Lowcountry, SC | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Very intersting videos ,althoug i dindt operate in Africa i believe the bow isn an adecuate form of hunting for such a noble animal and this video demostrate this ,i have had in the past numerous troubles trying to kill buffalos in real wild lands with bow i cannot imagine the problems of this poor PH ,i must say that i hunt mostly hogs with bow and i respect a lot bowhunters but certain animals deserve a good heavy rifle .Juan Pablo Pozzi

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Bongo Congo, very interesting site, thanks. I believe the elephant was killed by the white-haired rifleman to the bowhunter's initial left side, who was still watching and whistled to the PH and the bowhunter as both the bowhunter and the PH turned to walk toward the rear.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the first time I've ever seen a bow shot and immediate chase.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not understand why they pushed the elephant. I have zero African experience, but I have never seen anyone push an animal after the shot.

GTR

Posts: 111 | Location: florida | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
maybe because the elephant hunt costs over 20 grand while a wight tail hunt must cost a little less.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
That's Pete Shepley (of PSE) shooting the bow (with a 500NE on his back) and the PH is Gordon Duncan of Shangaan Hunters www.shangaanhunters.com

The events did not unfold as quickly as you would believe from watching the short clips spliced together.

The white-haired man is Ron Oliver... who also shot but it wasn't his shot that got the ele.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
new-guy, now you're making this intriguing.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
Bongoconga,

Thanks for the link,i really enjoyed watching the videos.

Hamdeni thumb

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BongoCongo thanks for the link, I'm not a bowhunter but I enjoyed the Africa videos. Lots of diversity at that site, that spear clip with the bull ele facing them trying to make up his mind if he would stomp the little men or not was awesome, that took guts even if the man beside him did have a rifle. mgun

One guy gets off on bouncing rubber tipped arrows off animals. jumping

There are some exiting green hunts as well, I might would actually consider a hunt like that.

The scene where they're dragging the live croc out of the water was a waste of time and energy, me I would have just shot the bloom'n thing. Roll Eyes

In one of the SA videos you can see a car going down the highway from the blind. stir

Some good footage all and all, anyone know where more sites like this are? thumb

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
new-guy, now you're making this intriguing.

Sorry, didn’t mean for my reply to sound conspicuous. There’s nothing fishy going on in the hunt, I was just pointing out that the entire series of events didn’t unfold in the 2 minutes of video as shown.

The tactics seemed to be drawing questions here, and I was just pointing that out that the clips as shown were the abbreviated “highlights†of the hunt and not the entire hunt.

I think the hunt was aired on PSE's hunting show. You might check their website for schedules or video to see more of the hunt.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 days of hard tracking between first arrow and gordon having to stop that charge. Pete and gordon tried everything possible on that last evening to manouver for a bow kill. Hopefully ron will post- he had a facinating rifle with the sights held on with duck Tape Wink

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
OT from the African footage, but anyone see the black bear skewering from above at the end of the spearing segment? Ouch. Wonder why they included that; sure didn't look like a fatal hit to me, rather, more like mostly hide and just a wee bit of muscle. As far as I could tell, the spear shaft ripped out through the skin before the beast scampered off.

The bawling was a bit unpleasant to hear, but at least now I know where they got the sound bites for Chewbacca of Star Wars fame...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote