THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Whats the worst thing thats gone wrong on your safari!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the worst thing thats gone wrong on your safari!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I thought bourbon was something you used to clean paintbrushes?

jumping

No, that would be Gin. Big Grin

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The worst thing that happens on safari is having to come home. Everything else is just part of being there.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
the HANGOVERS after celebrating Shooting a lion on the first day in Zim, A 41 in old dagga boy on the second day and a 90 pounder on the third day. Mr Mark Butcher can make you drink as a fish.......

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a horrendous case of the shits in Zim in 2010. Laid up for a day with the shakes and cold sweats, with the shivering only interrupted by uncontrolled pooping. Only lasted 1 day but I still had the poops for 2 days after that. Left some pretty greasy "spoor" behind some jesse. Apologies to anyone that came along after me.

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwarf416:
Mr Mark Butcher can make you drink as a fish.......

Very true statement!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Trying to get homw from a safari that ended 9-12-01, I got home on the 17th. Guns made it about a month later.

Then when the Cessna would not start on the flight back to Harare. They kept on trying to start it by turning the prop. I was hoping it would not start as who knew what was wrong with the plane.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Hulme:
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
My worst would be running out of gas while sitting in a plane up in the air! Big Grin

I remember that, you guys nearly killed my brother! Mad

I still wonder why Jonny took the cruiser back to Harare and me and Lauri took the plane back Big Grin

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st safari in 2008 only thing that went wrong is my wallet ran out of money before my rifle ran out of ammo.....leaving in 16 days for my 2nd trip to South Africa ...hope this trip goes as well!!!!!

"The only thing better than your first safari is your second!!!!!"

Posts: 43 | Location: Racine, MN | Registered: 30 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Came home sick from SA in 2005. Upon return discovered it was tick bite fever. OK after ten days of antibiotics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2004 I had to drink warm beer for a night. Can you believe that?

Been lucky so far...

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very WORST thing about a safari is that it has not happened yet. All else is just incidental stuff Wink

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I thought bourbon was something you used to clean paintbrushes?

jumping

No, that would be Gin. Big Grin

Gin and Scotch are what the Almighty drinks. I use bourbon for hog bait.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
ran out of scotch in the Selous about 10 years ago. even called another camp for more with no luck. "forced" to drink vodka for 2 days. times were tough!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13429 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
ran out of scotch in the Selous about 10 years ago. even called another camp for more with no luck. "forced" to drink vodka for 2 days. times were tough!!!

I know a guy that paid for a charter to bring him a case in Zambia. Imagine what that Scotch cost per bottle. Eeker

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving my wife in camp for six days.... one day out we left at 4.30am and returned at 10.30pm... that took some explaining!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
On one safari I had seven stitches put in my lower lip due to an unfortunate run-in with a camel thorn tree while riding in the back of the truck one evening. On another, I picked up an intestinal bug that harrassed the hell out of me, every few months, for nearly a year before I finally got some meds from the doc to kill it and every other living thing that was crawling around inside of me. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Airfrance deferred my ammo for two days. Then, after 21 hours of driving over logging roads I arrived in Bongo camp to find that the Pygmies had eaten all of the hunting dogs. I personally had to buy eight dogs from local villages which we found out where worthless when my PH got run over by a Bongo and broke two ribs.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Getting the stomach flu the night before flying out. I was surprises that they let me board the plane.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Having the outfitter and ph talk only in Afrikaans every night and ignore the two of us who were hunting...that and the camp cook being someone they'd picked up off the street in Windhoek. Oh, and no beer.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may not be the right place but here goes. I am going to SA for my first and only time(low retired income) in 2013 and was wondering if you can take a bottle or two of booze with you on the plane? I do not drink very much but a nice Myers Rum and coke or a Black Russian after dinner might be nice an night or two.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Divernhunter:

Not having good booze could be a pretty bad experience on safari. Big Grin

Most probably, if you ask, your host will make sure to have the libation of your choice for sundowner enjoyment. If not, there is a duty free in the baggage recovery area of JNB. (I say that, but I don't know if they have Myers?)

If you have a flight within South Africa, I doubt that you can get through security with a bottle so the first option is the way to go.

As to having one lifetime safari.... a suggestion. Budget only one or two animals for traditional taxidermy and save some bucks for your following trips. European half-head mounts are great and much cheaper. I think you'll find you can save more than enough for tickets and daily rate for number two that way.... and then just drive your pick up another couple of years longer before you get another. Mine old Chevy is a 1999, if you get my drift!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Was on my first DG safari and got assigned a PH who was sick with the flu and a horrible attitude, bottled water was contaminated with diesel fuel, ants in my room chewing on me and NO SHOT OPPORTUNITIES over 14 days since aforementioned PH disclosed on day 12 that he had been pounded by a wounded buff and nearly died a year earlier. And those are just the highlights!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W.C. Fields:

During one of my treks through Africa, we lost our corkscrew. We were compelled to live on food and water for several days.

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote