THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Tanzania:Hyena devours 65-year-old man

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania:Hyena devours 65-year-old man
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hyena devours 65-year-old man

From The Arusha Times
October 23, 2010
By Joseph Lyimo

Khufo Maida (65) a resident of Hanang’ has been devoured by a ferocious hyena in a reserve forest on mount Hanang’ in the afternoon of October 2.

According to the Hanang’ Acting Regional Police Commander, Eurelia Msindai, Maida had gone to the forest to look for firewood and logs and as he was busy in the activity, a hyena attacked and tore him to an instant death.

Back in the village the family noticed the old man was missing and raised alarm. Neighbours armed with traditional weapons led by the ten cell leader Daniel Tluway went into the forest to trace the old man. They found the hyena asleep near the remains of the deceased and managed to kill it.

The police chief said the remains of Maida were taken to Hanang district hospital morgue.

Contacted for comment, the Hanang District Natural Resources Officer John Driza, said Maida had trespassed into the forest reserve as no one was allowed to go there under the law. He also cautioned other people against risking their lives by going into the forest as it has vicious wild animals.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Tough

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9982 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we're at the top of the food chain, sometimes we're not.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For heavens sake dont let the treehuggers here in the states know the poor confused hyena was killed.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
a hyena attacked and tore him to an instant death.

One hopes it really was that fast, but sadly I doubt it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the trespasser became a meal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without any pictures of this mauling I question the validity and accuracy of this report. It's written exactly as if it should be on the front cover of the Enquirer, or one of the the other supermarket tabloids. The gruesome wording used by the writer Joseph Lyimo, is not the way journalists are taught to write; another reason why I look at this with a tilted head and squinted eyes.

That's not to say I'm not aware of the viciousness of a hyena. I have taken several of them and the satisfaction level ranks pretty high on the MojaMeter...almost a 10! The one I missed caused me angst for about a day. It was a chippy, "low hanging piece of fruit" and I muffed the shot...in broad daylight as he looked straight at me.

But as I was saying, I just find it hard to believe a single hyena attacked a man in the woods. Every time I've seen them or tried to stalk them, which is nearly impossible, they eventually ran away from me.

If the report had stated a "disabled man", then I might be inclined to believe it. I know that the hyena then might have detected the opportunity to strike, because their keen and aware enough to detect wounded prey.

Kathi: You should start a website in which you aggregate these reports, putting them all on one website. You could make some bold headlines with this stuff, almost National Enquirer like. "Raging Hyena Gobbles Up Old African Townsman!", with an avatar of a snarling hyena and blood dripping from his mouth next to the headline.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wild Africa...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote