Find
Notify
Tools

FISI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I've hunted them and not been successful yet but do have these photos from a giraffe kill at Umfolozi.

This one looks like it is smiling but it really isn't. It is wounded from fighting over the carcass. There were lions laying in the bushes and it may have tangled with them.

Let's see your photos and stories.

~Ann

Posts: 19541 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
You always have some great photo's Ann. Thanks for sharing!
David

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
While walking along a dry river bed in Makuti and taking a short water break, I spotted a hyena on a hill overlooking us. Buzz and Justin shouted for me to shoot it. I shouldered the gun and fired a round at it and it disappeared. We walked up to where it was standing and could not find any blood. Buzz then spotted another hyena running up a hill across from us about 125 meters away. Since we were elephant hunting all I had was my .458 Win Mag with open sights. My first round went over the hyena, the second round miraculously connected and the hyena proceeded to do a series of cartwheels all the way down the hill until it hit a tree near the bottom. This whole time the trackers, game scout, Buzz and Justin were laughing hysterically and going on and on about what a magnificent shot it was at 150 meters with open sights in a .458 Win Mag. Truth was, it was pure luck. When we recovered the hyena it was an extremely old and large hyena that had a club foot from an old snare or fight. The video clip of this is a hoot.

Mike

Posts: 21650 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Ann, very good photos. Guess the lions killed the giraffe and the hyenas drove them off their kill?
MJines, that is a whopper.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

No, the lions were very full and sleeping belly up not far away. The hyenas were all very wary and the vultures were even warier!

You can see how big the belly is on one of the larger hyenas, all were pigging out as fast as possible.

The lions were too far for my camera lens.

~Ann

Posts: 19541 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
It's din-din time at Darwin's Diner! Eeker

Great photo essay, Ann!

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Old Fisi is definitely on my list. . .

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Love hunting the Hyena.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1st one that i shot was in matetsi. A real strenuous hunt. We hung a skunky old leopard bait in a tree about 100 yards from the camp kitchen. We were hunting from a blind, well actually it was sitting on bar stools in the kitchen looking out the window. Jut after dark the hyena came in, but was just like a ghost. It would come close to the bait and then drift back into the shadows. Never really standing still. Took about 3-4 hours before it finally came under the bait and stood still long enough to get a shot off. Never did get onto the bait.
2nd one was near ghonarezhou, we had taken a pac lion that killed a farmers donkeys. The donkey carcasses were still laying around. We parted the cruiser about 60 yards away from one carcass and crawled in back with a call. 2 or 3 hyenas answered the call, but from way way far away. We quit calling and were just sitting quietly in the back of the truck when we heard a sound. Turned on a light and the hyenas were just about at the tailgate. They had to have come to the call at a gallop, because they probably covered 2-3 miles in 10-15 minutes. Kinda wakes you right up when you have hyenas 3 feet away and don't realize they are there

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
A hyena shot in 2007 on one of my North Western areas in Namibia, between Etosha nd the Kunene river (Uukwaluudi conservancy.)

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1336 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you lucky hunters had mounts done of your hyena trophies? Post the pics....

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Not me. My hide is waiting to be shipped back from Zim. It was interesting though, when I took pictures of my trophies to Rocky Carroll my taxidermist at Brush Country Taxidermy, he seemed to be far more excited by the hyena than even the leopard. My sense is that they are a much under-appreciated trophy than they deserve to be.

Mike

Posts: 21650 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann;

Hopefully I managed to get the right potos up here. But here is my Spotted Hyena taken in Botswana in 1996. Twelve years ago...I was so young!!!!! He was feeding on a giraffe carcass, so I had him mounted with a giraffe leg bone.

Best regards, Darin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Fisi is a target of opportunity.

I have had occasions where I have shot 6 on one hunt. And on others never managed to even see one.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68604 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have had my chances at them, but we have always seen them around baits and been reluctant to shoot them for fear of spooking lion.

I would have killed a couple of them by now were it not for that.

Some day . . . Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
It was a great night hunt over a freshly killed warthog for bait. We weighed him in camp - 198.6 lbs. He is now a rug with open-mouth.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote