THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    LIVE! Report From The Selous- VIDEOS Are Being Added.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LIVE! Report From The Selous- VIDEOS Are Being Added.
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrific, have fun and stay safe. Always look forward to your reports.

Posts: 94 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 23 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the photos. Good hunting and safe travels.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a great time and return safe.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt!!!!

Oh, don't forget your 45-70's and to allow the buff to decided how its going to die! :}

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed- Are you taking any new or different equipment this year? Cameras, lenses, rifles scopes, etc.
Have another great African adventure! (I know you will with Walter along)

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck..looking forward to the reports!

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
have a great hunt!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, after watching the videos from your past hunts, I have often pondered on what is more dangerous---a wounded buffalo or Walter acting normally? rotflmo

Posts: 224 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We will be taking quite a few cameras, I will post details once we have settled on what is going.

The SLR is a Canon 7D II with 24-70mm, and 100-400mm lenses and a 2X converter.

This summer I was using the new Panasonic FZ1000, and was very impressed with it, so it is coming along too.

A Panasonic TZ50, and a Sony RX100 Mk IV.

I might take one or two of the bridge cameras with big zoom.

My past experience with these has not been very impressive, as the photos tend to be very soft at the longer zoom.

The rifles are the same two we have built and have been to Africa for so many years.

Both are chambered for our wildcat, the 375/404, using our own 300 grain Walterhog bullets.

Below are our ammo being l9aded, and three shots I fired to check them before loading them all for the hunt.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to pics and report. Have a great hunt!

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Saeed I dont know how much you spend on camera equipment but I tried the "new" Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM the other day..Pricey but hands down the best lens I have tried, it would be perfect with the 7d and 1.4 conv. Consider it Smiler I really would like to see the photos with that one after 3 weeks in Tanz.

And good luck on your hunt as always.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite times of year! Looking forward to living vicariously through you for the next few weeks. Safe travels and happy hunting.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what critters are on the menu for this outing?

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anton,

I prefer to use zoom lenses, because they tend to be more useful rather than being the ultimate in quality.

In fact, I don't think I have a single SLR lens that is not a zoom.

WE will hunt anything that is available on quota - which pretty well means everything, including leopard and lion.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Got a question asking about the numbers on the bullet box above.

I make the bullets out of copper rods, which come in 4 meter lengths. We cut these down to 60 cm lengths to fit into our CNC lathe.

Depending on the lot, the weight of the finished bullet might vary by 3-4 grains.

I separate them by weight, to be within 1 grain or less, and pack them.

The box above has bullets that are 302.0-302.9 grains in weight.

And the date of manufacturer.

The copper rods we use are normally used in the construction industry for earthing.

Relatively cheap, 100% copper, and work great for bullets.

The coating is spray on Molly.

And the bullets look the way they do because of the way they are sprayed.

I use large plastic chopping boards, in which I drill holes to suit the bullet caliber.

We clean the finished bullets in acetone, dry them, and place them nose down and spray them.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and safe travels, Saeed. I always enjoy following along on your hunts with Roy, Rene and Alan. I hope this one proves out to be one of the very best ever for all concerned.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Best of luck and safe travels, Saeed. I always enjoy following along on your hunts with Roy, Rene and Alan. I hope this one proves out to be one of the very best ever for all concerned.

Thank you very much.

This might be Walter's last trip to Africa, and we hope to make the best of it.

Last year he announced that it was his last safari - not bad for one who only wanted to go on safari once in his life - that was 23 years ago!! Smiler

And he has been going every year ever since!!

His health is not getting better, but apparently a chance to annoy Roy and me cannot be let pass!

Roy and Rene are arriving here in a few days time, and we all travel to Dar together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Saeed!! And all of the best to Walter!!! old

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the reports on your next adventure! tu2 Make sure that the Waltercams record ALL of Walter's shennanigans! dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Have a great safari, looking forward to the videos!
Warm regards
Esskay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to all on the trip, I'll be looking forward to your reports on the antics and hunting success. Activities such as this are the best medicine in the world for anything, so tell Walter to take a double dose twice a day to cure any ailments.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Saeed PM sent Wink

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8034 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:

Thank you very much.

This might be Walter's last trip to Africa, and we hope to make the best of it.

Last year he announced that it was his last safari - not bad for one who only wanted to go on safari once in his life - that was 23 years ago!! Smiler

And he has been going every year ever since!!

His health is not getting better, but apparently a chance to annoy Roy and me cannot be let pass!

Roy and Rene are arriving here in a few days time, and we all travel to Dar together.

Can't imagine that a safari without Walter's antics would be the same.
Have a great trip and look forward to your daily reports tu2

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish you a safe journey and a great hunt tu2

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man that makes his own rifles, makes his own bullets, and hosts the best loading and hunting board has to have a great hunt and trip. tu2

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
All the best Sir
really enjoy read the daily report
all the best to Walter and the Team

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Lots of ammo.
Are you taking over Tanzania? Saeed's coup?
After the coup, hunting will be less problematic, at least in Tanzania...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Lots of ammo.

Well, we have 4 hunters who will use these rifles and ammo.

Two would not need so much ammo, the other two is anyone's guess rotflmo

I have a video of someone who will remain nameless, who ran out of ammo trying to shoot a warthog, all we could hear coming from the bush was a scream "BULLETS! BULLETS! MORE BULLETS"

And then as we got there we found him standing a few yards from a wounded warthogs with my rifle in his hands.

The rifle was being held by the barrel, as an axe, to beat the warthog to death if no BULLETS arrived in time. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

wish to you and all of your expedition the best of success and of course a safe travel and safari.

Phil.

Posts: 1875 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting, Saeed!

Hope you have as much luck in the selous as I did last month!

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think we finally have a list of what cameras are going to be used.

Main video cameras are a pair of Sony AX1 4K video cameras.

We used these last year, and were very impressed with their performance.

Sony AXP35 small 4K video cameras
Canon 7D Mk II with a few assorted lenses.
Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera. I used this this summer and extremely impressed with both its quality and usability. It also takes 4K video.

Sony RX100 Mk 4
Panasonic TZ50
Sony HX400V
Nikon P900

The last two are extreme zoom bridge cameras, which I have not used before, but were given to try and report back on their performance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Soon we will be heading to the Selous to hunt with our usual host, Alan Vincent.

Walter and Enrique are coming along.

I will provide the usual daily report to keep you all up to date with what is going on.

Saeed,

A "Heads Up" for you and hoping our MET Dept. is wrong in its prediction:

"The department of Disaster Management in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) has said it was on alert and prepared enough to face El-Nino storms likely to hit Tanzania next month."

Administrator
posted Hide Post
For once, the MET might just be right!

Having a number of safari veterans with a combined experience that is well over a 100 years.

Our disaster creation department has been well and truly tuned for results that do not disappoint!

Sometimes we look back at those incidents and shake our heads rotflmo

Here is an example that happened last year.

There are few hills that not many people go into, because their are no easy access for the truck.

It is what Walter likes to call "the starship Enterprise territories"

"Where no man has gone before"

We decided to leave early, and head into those hill, looking for old duggaboys.

We stopped the truck about a mile away, and went into the hills on foot.

We found lots of tracks of bulls, as there was water and good green grass in those hills.

We followed some fresh tracks, and not long after we saw a very old bull standing not far from us.

We got to about a 100 yards of him.

He was facing away, totally oblivious to our presence.

Roy was resting the rifle on the shooting sticks, and Alan was standing just behind with the video camera. I was a few yards behind taking pictures.

This went on for quite a while, with the buffalo having no intention of changing position.

Alan started breaking twigs.

All we got was the bull kept moving his ears, but no change of position.

Then Alan started dancing, jumping up and down, waving his hands in all directions.

I got laughing so much I had to sit down and put my hands on my mouth.

Alan looks back at me and says "bloody hell, what do we do now?"

I think the bull was so old, he might not be able to hear any more.

We moved position, then he turned and Roy shot him.

This all happened just after 8 in the morning.

Alan and the trackers went back to get the truck.

Roy, myself and our game scout waited by the buffalo.

Lunchtime came and went, no sign of our truck.

We had a couple of bottles of water, but no food.

We thought of cutting some meat from the buffalo to eat, but decided against it, as he did not look in good shape.

I check the GPS, and found that the camp was 12 kilometers as the crow flies - probably double that by road.

We decided to wait until before dark, then walk to the road as there is still light. Then walk back to camp on the road.

The sun was disappearing behind the hills, so we started walking.

We have not gone 200 meters when we saw Alan and Robert, our tracker coming along.

Apparently they have been trying all day long, to find a way to get the truck to us, without any luck.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Have a great time, Saeed, and look after Walter. He's a pest, but you'd miss him.

Keep us informed, please.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
Oh boy! This is the first Saeed safari I get to watch as an AR member. Feels like initiation, in a way.

Best of luck Saeed, looking forward to the pictures and stories.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for your updates. Good hunting!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Lots of ammo.

Well, we have 4 hunters who will use these rifles and ammo.

Two would not need so much ammo, the other two is anyone's guess rotflmo

I have a video of someone who will remain nameless, who ran out of ammo trying to shoot a warthog, all we could hear coming from the bush was a scream "BULLETS! BULLETS! MORE BULLETS"

And then as we got there we found him standing a few yards from a wounded warthogs with my rifle in his hands.

The rifle was being held by the barrel, as an axe, to beat the warthog to death if no BULLETS arrived in time. Big Grin

Shoot lot's of stuff Saeed, wear that Lilja barrel OUT tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All the best, Saeed. I hope you have a great time, and I look forward to reading your always interesting reports from the bush.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
Also I am wishing you and your group very safe travels and a successful hunt. I remained stunned at the quality of your videos last year in HD on the flash drives...better than anything broadcast. The crocs feeding up close were amazing.

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote