THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    My Hunt with Chifuti Safaris, with my pre 64 Winchester Model 70 375 H&H

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Hunt with Chifuti Safaris, with my pre 64 Winchester Model 70 375 H&H
 Login/Join

posted
My journey started off last summer, I hunted South Africa and met Campbell Smith, one our professional hunters. I was impressed tremendously by him and him guns. He explained they were pre 64 Winchester Model 70's, and that if I wanted the best, needed to get one. He was kind enough to refer me to D"Arcy Echols, who located me one, and with the help of his teammates, Brian Bingham and Matt Rowberry, worked thier magic and returned to me an awesome weapon. Since I am living in China, did not get a chance to really use the gun until I arrive in the Zambezi Valley with Chifuti Safaris.
From the moment we arrive, we were greeted like old friends and made to feel incredibly comfortable.
We took a tusk less elephant on the second day or hunting, along with a charge from the matriarch.
Day 5 took a 42" inch buffalo, after 5 shots.
We dug out the ammo, and found the Hornady bullets blew up, and were not penetrating well enough.
I should have known then, we had a problem.
I was keen on taking another buffalo and two days later, had a 40 yard shot broadside, with all the time in the world. Shot felt great, buff bucked to the shot, and then ran off. We all felt we were in good shape. We found a little blood, but never saw the buffalo again.
Come to find out later, that this has happened more than once with Hornandy softs on buffalo.
Third buffalo, got a Barnes X from another hunter, this time, 80 yards through brush, and buffalo ran 35 yards and laid down. 2" inch wound channel. 97% weight retention. Hornandy lost 80 %.
In my opinion, the gun preformed flawlessly, the Hornady ammo did not. I did take photos of the ammo, that I recovered from first buffalo and third and will post it also.
Richie Schultz was my PH and did a fantastic job, along with Tondy, Sam and Gusha.
Thanks to all!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Ouch Robert, that's why many people recommend premium bullets, if for no other reason than consistency.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the upside down photo. I'll try and correct that when I get off this ipad and on a real computer. Smiler

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Robert,

Welcome to AR and thanks for posting the info on your hunt,

A big congratulations is in order, hate to hear you lost the buffalo.

Which Hornady bullets are you shooting?

Looking at the pictures they do not appear to be DGX, as DGX are steel jacketed. Are they Interlocks?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a couple very nice buffs. And how was the tuskless hunt? Very exciting I hope

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Right on Dude

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear about the lost buff. I also have lost a few buff thanks to hornady. I switched to Barnes x and Northfork four to five years ago and have been extremely impressed

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lovely buff.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Lovely buff.

Andrew, you have to get out of the bush sometimes!

Reminds me of Walter watching some baboons drinking from the river.

He said "look at that beautiful female on the left"

I said "Time to get Walter out of the bush"

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert: Hate you lost your buf, think I will stay with Swift A-frames. Richie and the gang, Clever, Sam and Tondi were great fun to hunt with. Is his Mom still camp manager? Rich was my PH last year on my ele hunt with CM.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Kind of ironic that the PH is wearing a Hornady Hat in the buff photo ehh??

A little searching will reveal several threads where people have had similar issues with Hornady DGX bullets. I hope they take notice and change the design. Their solids seem to be performing well.

Looks like you had a great hunt regardless.

Congrats!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Great looking Buff. Were you hunting Chewore South?

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 706 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Kind of ironic that the PH is wearing a Hornady Hat in the buff photo ehh??

My thoughts exactly!

A couple nice, old buffs.

Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Lovely buff.

Andrew, you have to get out of the bush sometimes!

Reminds me of Walter watching some baboons drinking from the river.

He said "look at that beautiful female on the left"

I said "Time to get Walter out of the bush"

Thank you Saeed for my morning laugh!

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Seems that it's been quite a while since Saeed provided us with a Walter story. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I do like the Barnes of the Buff for sure. I don't think there's much reason to carry solids for buff if your initial and follow up shots are Barnes X

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Another happy Barnes "X" bullet customer here! I've only shot one buff (last year was my first trip to Africa-Tanzania), but 350 grain handloads out of my .375 H&H (Winchester Model 70 Classic) provided perfect expansion, penetration and weight retention. Through the right shoulder at 70 yards, then a follow-up shot at 10 yards, both bullets penetrated to just under the hide on the off-side. The buff only went about 20-30 yards and never got up.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I agree with Barnes, I use them exclusively, but you can loose buff anytime anywhere. Ssh... happens and that's hunting. :Lost buff last November. Hit him good, ran into a park ... oops.

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hunt took place in Chewore South.
Sandy is still running a 5 star camp. She is the best.
This is my first time to post, so left out some details.
We were in Buffalo and Elephant everyday. We also saw Lion and even a Leopard (daylight in the road).
Would highly recommend Chifuti Safaris to anyone, there was no hassles, completely organized and efficient, and lots of dangerous game.
Hornady is a sponser of this company, but in fairness, no one told me to bring or use Hornady bullets. I requested Barnes, but my hunting partner brought Hornady.
I have no animosity toward Hornady, propably work great on white tail deer.
I can only speak to the evidence, Barnes performance laid the Buffalo out in 30 yards.
The shot placement was almost identical on the first one (Hornady) also, it took 5 shots to lay him down.
By the way, I have already rebooked with Chifuti next year, to ensure that I get to hunt Leopard and Buffalo.
I am addicted to Buffalo, and I hope I am never cured!
Appreciate all the feedback, my first time on AR, and happy to find people that share a mutual love of hunting and sharing stories.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Robert, great rifle, and great buff.

Sorry for your trouble with the one you lost.

Can you confirm that you were using Hornady DGX bullets?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

Your report on the poor performance of the Hornandy bullets is almost useless without knowing what kind of Hornandy bullet were you using? Hornanady makes all kinds of bullets for the .375H&H some are dangerous game bullets and others are not.

Congratulations on a great hunt other than the troubles with your lost buff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert, I don't mean, and I'm sure that no one else means, to cross-examine you on this subject.

It's just that some continue to defend the DGX bullet, despite ample evidence that it's an inherently bad design.

Every bit of evidence showing its defects helps us hunters wanting the truth. Sorry to put you on the spot.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Robert, I don't mean, and I'm sure that no one else means, to cross-examine you on this subject.

It's just that some continue to defend the DGX bullet, despite ample evidence that it's an inherently bad design.

Every bit of evidence showing its defects helps us hunters wanting the truth. Sorry to put you on the spot.

Too true - kind of reminds you of a few key folks in our Government!
horse

...and for Robert, VERY nice animals taken! You had a great Safari. I have taken two safaris with Chifuti myself - they are a class act and really do a great job in providing you the African experience.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hate to defend Hornady, as I only shoot paper or steel with their stuff as it is cheap..

But, That almost looks like a Interlock or some such crap bullet they produce. I once shot a couple impala for camp meat with my 375 using the 300 grain hornady interlocks and they broke into many, many pieces, which all weighed under 100 grns, and btw failed to exit......

The DGX must have more of a foundation than that?

But with Swift, CEB, or Barnes etc available why screw up a good time?

BTW- Echols guns are more than impressive...

Posts: 389 | Location: Montana, USA | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have killed buff quite dead with a single Interlock. The DGX is a step backwards.

Mike

posted Hide Post
Update:
The bullet carton said "African Dangerous Game Series" from Hornady.

I also want to let anyone know that is considering a first time safari a few useful tips.
I got with African Sporting Creations, and got some Courtney Selous Boots and hiking socks, along with other assorted gear.
The owner Jim, had been to the Zambezi Valley before and got me set up with all the right gear.
He also told me to get in shape, as you take your elephant / buffalo with you feet!
I spent a lot of time on the treadmill, getting ready for Africa, it paid off in spades.
I am a novice hunter, to say the least, but had an excellent time, and more importantly had the generous help from D'Arcy Echols, Dave Fulson, Jim Morando, Richie Schulz and a host of others.
I was amazed at the number of people that bent over backwards to assist a new hunter and to make him feel part of the community.
Appreciate everyone's feedback and comments, I am glad that I was introduced to this forum also.
Already confirmed for a return trip back to Africa with Chifuti next year!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Robert fantastic and welcome to AR.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Robert, congratulations on your successful hunt with Chifuti! I hunted out of their
Chenje camp last year and agree that Ms. Sandy runs a 5 star camp!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
It was good to meet you and Caleb in camp. You were leaving just as I got in. I as well think Sandy runs a great camp and had a great time as well. Hope you made it home ok!
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

I think I've figured out what happened to you in regards to your bullet failures. I looked upo Hornandy dangeorus Game series factory loaded products in .375H&H.

They offer the Dangerous Game Series in 300 GR DGS and DGX which are DG bullets AND the Interlock bullet. WHICH IS NOT A DANGEROUS GAME BULLET!! Hornandy and Steve Hornandy in particular should have his ever loving ass kicked for labeling the Interlock products as "Dangeorus Game Series" bullets.

I'm guessing that this is what happened to you. Ther eis no excuse for that Hornandy needs to change it immediately. I'm just glad nobody got hurt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't be so sure, surestrike. As I've said, I have used the Interlock bullet with great effect on buffalo. Not the best bullet out there, but a good bullet, nonetheless.

I would bet green money that Robert was given the newest and "best" DGX loaded rounds. That photo is not an Interlock. It seems to be a DGX. The DGX is too brittle and prone to separate core from jacket, and then fragment, based on many, many field reports.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that Mike..

After having shot some hogs with the 270 Hornandy Interlock out of my .375H&H I wouldn't dare shoot a buffalo with one.They tend to come apart pretty regularly in hogs. It kills them dead enough but they don't perform like I would expect a DG bullet to perform.

If the DGX is pulling apart like that then my comment about a firm ass kicking is still in order. There is no excuse for a branded DG bullet to perform that poorly.

I'd sure like to know if it was a DGX because if it was I will consider myself fore warned.

posted Hide Post
Mike,
I can tell you what I remember.
The fragmented bullet in the photo is the Hornady, it had a small metal piece inside that can out and was fragmented in the buffalo.
The first buffalo I shot, was right on the shoulder, he bucked, then Richie (PH) but in a back up shot as he ran away.
The buffalo ran about 50 yards into cover and stood there and waited. I popped him again, and he ran off another 15 yards and took two more solids.
He finally laid down. The bullet in the photo is what we dug out of him. My brother was shooting a 458 Win Mag, his bullets also fragmented but there was enough lead on a 500 grain bullet to carry the punch on through.
I left the bullets with Richie after I got some Barnes X, to use for target practice.