New
Find
Notify
Tools

Defensive rifles a Poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What type, what cailber and where and when you plan or think you might use one. The one you would grab when you really need it.

Just some questions on what, why and when we own a defensive rifle.

Have fun comments welcome

Question:
What action does your defensive rifle have

Choices:
Semi auto
Bolt
Pump
Lever
other

Question:
What caliber does it use

Choices:
.223/5.56
308.7x51
30-06
7.62x54
7.62x39
A pistol cal
other

Question:
How accurate is it

Choices:
2 inch groups at 100
1 inch groups at a100
.5 inch groups at 100

Question:
Where do plan to use it

Choices:
Around the house
In the feild
Traveling
I try to have one available to me at all times

Question:
At what ranges do you see yourself usng it

Choices:
100 yards and under
200 yards and under
300 yards and under
400 yards and under
500 yards and under
over 500 yards

Question:
Why and when would you need it

Choices:
Home invasion
Personal attack when your out and about
Semi military/terrorist attack in your area
Oh the crap has hit the fan all persons for themselfs
I am LEO and Military and use it on the job
Various wild animals

Question:
How much ammo do have ready to grab with the rifle

Choices:
The ammo thats in/ attached to it
One extra reload
I have battle gear all ready to go ammo in mags,clips ect.

Question:
Whats sights

Choices:
Iron sights
Peep sights
Optics
Optics plus back up sights

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been an AK guy for years. Currently a HDI AK-101 with a few mods and backed up with a Chinese Man Purse holding 5x30rd mags is my primary rifle. In my search for a suitable .22LR (nobody makes a decent 22LR AK) training rifle I came across the S&W M&P15-22. Many thousands of rounds later I have come to appreciate the AR platform. Gotta thin the herd to make room and soon a nice AR will be my primary rifle. It wil be in 5.56x45.

I will keep 1 AK (a Hungarian AMD-65) as a back-up/family loaner JIC.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I have a model 92, 45 Colt in the bedroom for a house gun.
It holds 10 rounds of 300 grain SWC. Seems that this would be enough.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only times I have needed a rifle for various bad things, it was a bolt actioned .375H&H.

I can't honestly say that a .375 is a great choice if you are dealing with civil insurrection, but I can't think of any civilian issue where you need to stop one something that it will not absolutely stop with 1 shot. The rifle is sub MOA and it has a pretty expensive hunting scope with back up iron sights.

Sure it will overpenetrate, but if I am shooting in town, that is a shotgun role anyhow.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
DEFENSIVE is the key word in my answering this..

20" 12ga sxs.. TWO triggers

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
Looks like the 556/223 is the go to rifle/carbine choice, makes sense, but does have limitations to 300 and under. Note optics an irons are well represented as well.

Let me guess, the much maligned AR platform?

The Mouse (gun) that roars....

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is interisting to see the data come in.

I thought I would see some semi auto 30-06 data come in for all the Grand owners out there.

But appears a 5.56 carbine/rifle with some optics on it is top choice

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mamma can shoot an AR-15 accurately out to 300yds.

The old geezer next to her with the DPMS 308 is me.

If the ATF get off their ass, both will be suppressed by summer.

Rich

the best sight system, imho, is a good 2-7X IR on the 223, and the new Bushnell 2.5-16X on the 308. Both with the Dueck buis.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With all the talk about how great the Garand is

I am really surprise no one keeps one around as a personal defensive weapon.

Could it be that they weigh to much have, limited ammo cap, can't put optics on easy, use out dated clips instead of mags ect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but a Garand is not a defensive weapon. It is a do anything battle rifle designed for offensive purposes when air support could not be called in.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammoloader:
I'm no expert but a Garand is not a defensive weapon. It is a do anything battle rifle designed for offensive purposes when air support could not be called in.

Except hold more then 8 rounds,not easy to mount optics on ect. There are reasons the next gen rifles came along.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Garand was king of the battlefield in it's day. It and the cartridge it fires are still no slouch when it comes to a battle rifle.

That said, the scenarios have changed since WWII and Korea ended.

We fought jungle wars, where the M16 was and still is, King. For sub-350yd engagement scenarios it is tops.

The cartridge is not a good intermediate range cartridge, let alone these extended range engagements we are involved in the past decade.

I would love to see the military go to a mission specific pair of MBRs. 18" AR-10s in 6.5x284, and the M4 in it's latest iteration.

Fortunately, we are not under any restraints, other than select-fire rifles when it comes to laying out our own $$$.

For the ever popular "Zombie Wars" possibly coming to a neighborhood near you:

I have a 7STW for real long range shooting.
I have the DPMS for closer ranges where volume might enter into the mission.
I have a couple AR-15's for closer range, where volume will come into the equation.

with a couple 870's, things are good here, or will be, out at the ranch.

It is a pleasant means of passing the time, writing scenarios; and then planning for them.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a 7STW for real long range shooting.
I have the DPMS for closer ranges where volume might enter into the mission.
I have a couple AR-15's for closer range, where volume will come into the equation.

with a couple 870's, things are good here, or will be, out at the ranch.

Isn't grand to live in a country that we can own so many differant firearms. dancing

That said if the inventor had his way we would have had a magazine feed medium cal rifle for WW2 in 276.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry guys but actually, and no disrespect to the men that carried it, a design flawed by the insistence that it be 30-06 and not as orginally designed 276 and that it have a non-detachable magazine.

Now had it been 276 and thus TEN ROUNDS it might just have had useful. Or had it a detachable magazine.

Now it was in 1936 probably BETTER than any other weapon of any other potential enemy but that doesn't mean it was not a design that was flawed by insistence on it being 30 calibre and not having a drop magazine.

The M14 was everything that the M1 ought to have been from the very start.

And was there anything better at the time?

Had been...since 1908...the Mondragon

Posts: 6814 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:

Sorry guys but actually, and no disrespect to the men that carried it, a design flawed by the insistence that it be 30-06 and not as orginally designed 276 and that it have a non-detachable magazine.

Now had it been 276 and thus TEN ROUNDS it might just have had useful. Or had it a detachable magazine.

Now it was in 1936 probably BETTER than any other weapon of any other potential enemy but that doesn't mean it was not a design that was flawed by insistence on it being 30 calibre and not having a drop magazine.

The M14 was everything that the M1 ought to have been from the very start.

And was there anything better at the time?

Had been...since 1908...the Mondragon

Maybe not better but the Russian SVT 40 wasn't all that bad. The German even drew some designs off captured ones for their new rifle. The Finns used them up till 1958 I believe. There was more of a lack of training problem with them for the Soviet Army then there were technical ones.

Although never built during the war, but definitely drawn up was the French MAS 49/56. The French inventors escaped to England with the design,but the British wanted no part in making it. There are no bugs on that rifle. It's a solid very dependable design, but not used in WWII.

Now if you go to a smaller cartridge the German STg44 wasn't too bad either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In todays World, for an American Citizen, an AR 15 in 223/5.56 is VERY hard to beat. Very hard, everything considered.

If a person just cannot go AR/223, for what ever reason...

I know some that will use only an AK in 30 Russian Short. I know some that will not touch any AK...

When it gets to 308/7.62mm, the M1-A, FN-FAL or the H&K 91 will give excellent service.
Some like a 308 AR...

For the money a M1 Garand is hard to beat, especially for a person trained in its use.

Bottom line is, pick the rifle you believe in, and train with it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter
To specifically answer your question, if I could have only one, it would be an H&K 91 in 308/7.62NATO.
Scope would be a 4X Hendsolt or S&B with the Ballistic cam.

one of us
posted Hide Post
NE450 N02 I use the HK a bit ran tactical courses with it scoped and unscoped.

While it was relieable and accurate when it came to the up close fast engagement of targets. My fellow shooters and my self found it lacking to heavy and slow to respone.

With lighter rifles in 223 we were always getting faster and more hits in shorter time periods. For fixed position longer ranges its hard to beat a good 308.

For up close fast and personal I'll take a lighter faster rifle any day.

We also found that when shooting through brush we got as many key holes with the 308 as the 223.

Like you I also carried many differant rifles on the job. In the end a 223 carbine fit the bill more often then not.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think making the Garand a 30 06 was a mistake. The US Army had billions of rounds of the stuff on hand and a miniscule budget. Easy to hindsight this stuff today.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite defensive gun is (dont laugh) a MAS 49/56.
I have converted FAL mags for it and the rifle has never jammed or failed in any way.
Its so damned ugly it has to work....lol

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1A, scout rifle, many thirty round mags. You know what they say "The best defense, is a good offense"

if I am in a position to need a rifle, I want one shooting a 30 cal round. That means point blank, thru walls, into cars, cinder block(maybe not thru, every time, but you could influence someone's thought process if they were taking cover behind a cinder block wall).
It has the ballistics to do a fantastic job at stand off distances too. It has all the punch needed for a rifle's job.

I also have 223's for the wife,
I guess this makes me one of those "Preppers" or whatever that new show is called.

I work for a large utility company, and the most realistic threat I can imagine, and do something about, is some organization systematically attacking the power generation and distribution networks. Couple that with some other sort of attack(dirty nuke, bio, cyber, other?) and you might be able to gain an advantage in whatever strategic shenanigans they were undertaking. Or, most likely, a very large solar storm, that knocks the hell out of our systems.

I wonder how long it would take for the "social fabric" to start to break down, once the lights go out?

LT

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

While it was relieable and accurate when it came to the up close fast engagement of targets. My fellow shooters and my self found it lacking to heavy and slow to respone.

I agree with your post. It is very hard to beat a 223/5.56 for close in "stuff". With SP/HP/Ballistic Tip bullets they are very effective if the target is not behind too thick of cover. The guns are loighter as well as the ammo.

For most the 223/5.56 is the way to go.

I just like the 308/7.62 for its increased penetration, and more thump at longer ranges.
A combination of Federal 150gr Ballistic Tips, and Federal Barnes 150gr X bullets gives me a bullet with good expansion at longer ranges and the X bullet shoots just about through anything, with in reason of course.

And most of all I really like the 91.
I have been shooting one since 1977.

With lighter rifles in 223 we were always getting faster and more hits in shorter time periods. For fixed position longer ranges its hard to beat a good 308.

We also found that when shooting through brush we got as many key holes with the 308 as the 223.

Like you I also carried many differant rifles on the job. In the end a 223 carbine fit the bill more often then not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low_tech:
M1A, scout rifle, many thirty round mags. You know what they say "The best defense, is a good offense"

if I am in a position to need a rifle, I want one shooting a 30 cal round. That means point blank, thru walls, into cars, cinder block(maybe not thru, every time, but you could influence someone's thought process if they were taking cover behind a cinder block wall).
It has the ballistics to do a fantastic job at stand off distances too. It has all the punch needed for a rifle's job.

I also have 223's for the wife,
I guess this makes me one of those "Preppers" or whatever that new show is called.

I work for a large utility company, and the most realistic threat I can imagine, and do something about, is some organization systematically attacking the power generation and distribution networks. Couple that with some other sort of attack(dirty nuke, bio, cyber, other?) and you might be able to gain an advantage in whatever strategic shenanigans they were undertaking.

I wonder how long it would take for the "social fabric" to start to break down, once the lights go out?

LT

To answer your last question 4 to 10 day. That's about the amount of time a human can go without food and water before they turn violent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To answer your last question 4 to 10 day. That's about the amount of time a human can go without food and water before they turn violent.

sounds reasonable to me.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked two of the big grocery store managers just how much food they stock. Due to the economy and freshness dating; they hope to turn 80% of the inventory over every three days. That means trucks coming every hour of the day and night, 365 a year.

I take that to mean that in seventy-two hours the shelves will be pretty much bare.

I also asked around the convenience/gas stations around. They resupply gasoline every two to four days.

I am not a Zombie/Apocalytic scenario doomsday survivalist, but it did get me to start working two years ago on the Mormon thing about having a years supply of canned and dried food stuffs on hand.

Same with the other things, like ammunition and components, but about 2002. I am still shooting primers I bought for $9.70 per thousand.

Sorry to HiJack the thread, but it sort of seems to be evolving in that direction of having enough to make it a year, and the means to defend your home and family against most probabilities...

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
P-Dog, I didn't see "all of the above" as an answer?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
P-Dog, I didn't see "all of the above" as an answer?

LOL that would fit many of us here I belive.

I thought of several other questions for the poll. But one can't add them with out getting rid of all the info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think "I can arm the neighborhood" would have been an appropriate box as well, but that would be bragging, eh?

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I think "I can arm the neighborhood" would have been an appropriate box as well, but that would be bragging, eh?

Rich

That would fit a lot of us also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I don't think making the Garand a 30 06 was a mistake. The US Army had billions of rounds of the stuff on hand and a miniscule budget. Easy to hindsight this stuff today.

While this is an often quooted reason and is the one Cited by The Chief of Staff of the US Army General Douglas MacArthur, there is a flaw in this arguement.

The "millions of rounds" of M1 ball ammunition
were nearly useless for the US M1 "Garand"
because it was determined before this that a steady diet of the M1 Cartridge would reduce a garand to worn, bent and broken pieces...

Thus why the war was motly fought with the Cal30 M2 cartridge with the flat based 150gr bullet specifically designed for the Garand Rifle.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to respond as this was a one item poll. I would wager that most have several choices available.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:

I agree with your post. It is very hard to beat a 223/5.56 for close in "stuff". With SP/HP/Ballistic Tip bullets they are very effective if the target is not behind too thick of cover. The guns are loighter as well as the ammo.

For most the 223/5.56 is the way to go.

I just like the 308/7.62 for its increased penetration, and more thump at longer ranges.
A combination of Federal 150gr Ballistic Tips, and Federal Barnes 150gr X bullets gives me a bullet with good expansion at longer ranges and the X bullet shoots just about through anything, with in reason of course.

And most of all I really like the 91.
I have been shooting one since 1977.

After katrina I got rid of the 223's and went with 30 cal. 300 blk for fast and close, (308) scar 17 for everything else. The scar is as fast from target to target as most ar 223. It is almost the same weight, and points well. Double taps just a hair slower, but with 308 double taps normanly are not needed. 300 blk just as fast as my 223 but hit harder.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

P dog shooter,
Some how my reply to your reply did not make it into my above post.

I agree with you comments on the 223 for fast up close stuff. They are pretty good to 400 yards, even 500 yards with good ammo and a good optic, like an ACOG [good BC reticles in them], if you are using good SP or HP sporting ammo.

And as a plus you can carry lot lof ammo for the same weight vs a 308.

However, now I live in the country, and just would prefer, IF I could have ONLY ONE, the H&K 91, with the mentioned scope. I prefer the increased stand off and power of the 308, especially against cover and vehicles.

But I do agree for most people is is very hard to beat a good AR15.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
M1 Carbine, with twin 30round mags I trust in a "jungle clip" in the rifle, pair of 15round mags in a pouch attached to the Butt.

That's 90 rounds as soon as I pick it up.

And the 30round mags are loaded alternating BALL
and SP ammo. I train to double tap with this firearm.
(Repeat this mantra: "anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.")

I consider the 30carbine round to be equal to a 41mag when loaded with soft point ammo and the rifle made for it to be more functionally reliable than an AR-platform. (Reliabilty is inversely proportional to the CUBE of the number of individual parts in a device)
And from my experience with several Mini14's that if I need to trust my life to a rifle I'll choose the M1 Carbine over a mini14 every day of the week.

Compared to any pistol cartridge carbine? whatever it is the carbine outclasses in power or accuracy

My M1 Carbine wears an Aimpoint2000 Red dot sight and so it
and the cartridge it is chambered for is more in line as a self-defense tool than an offensive weapon.

The carbine is "Soda can" accurate at 100yards so anyone
further away armed with a pistol is not as much of a threat
to me as I am to them.

I know that the combination of the carbine & Aimpoint in my hands is a spectacularly effective tool on running Jackrabbits.
Anything that can actually pose a threat to me is bigger, slower
and less likely to evade my fire.

as a running fox discovered not that long ago

a Self-defense arm is all about engagement range one would expect in a "Self defense" situation, which to me implies "close range" You don't need a 200yd, 300yd or 500yd longarm for defending yourself.

If it's a serious situation and I actually grab my "go bag"
I'd have a total of over 1200rounds.

Any situation that cannot be fixed with 1200rounds is likely un-fixable without others. on either side of you

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan

I have shot several 30cal Carbines over the years. With 30 round magazines they have been the MOST unreliable Military rifle I have ever fired, bar NONE.

With USGI 15 rounders they shoot OK, but they seriously lack "power" when compared to the 5.56 or the 7.62x39. Especially when SP ammo is used in each.

My brother in law has one now and I shoot it on a regular basis.

Also I have been friends with a few WWII veterans and a few Korean Veterans, many that are "gun people" and all of them related to me that the 30cal carbine was nearly worthless, when they used in in ACTUAL COMBAT. ALL of them to a MAN, got a hold of a Garand ASAP.

Except for one of my good shooting buddies. He went to a Garand in Korea, but when he was in Vietnam, Republic of, he was a crew Chief in the Air Force. On the Air Base He used a Thompson in 45 ACP. Upon his arrival he traded a bottle of whiskey for it.

After 3 [or 4 I cannot remember] tours, he traded it to his replacement for a bottle of whiskey.

Now I will admit that the 30 Cal Carbine is a very handy little rifle...

But IMHO it cannot hold a candle to an AR or an AK, again IMHO of course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the price people want for carbines one can buy a AR.

I shot carbines over the years The family has one now my 5'3 105lb daughter inlaws finds it just the trick.

You don't want her shooting at you with 15 round mags it works fine.

I would much rather she has that then something bigger that she has a hard time handling.

It will really ruin your day getting punched with a 110gr sp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed quail and squirrel with a sling shot (wrist rocket), rabbit and squirrel with a crossbow and squirrel with a blow-gun. While none of the above use a quad-rail, flash-hider, bayonet lug, or optics they were capable of getting the job done. Most anything can be used as a weapon in a time of need or provocation.

Admittedly the best defensive/offensive weapon is your mind and your ability to adapt. No .308 or .223 will do a bit of good if your not prepared mentally to deal with the situation. Didn't see that one on the poll list. Just my perspective.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't see that one on the poll list. Just my perspective.

Man the list was long as it is I could have added a lot more ? but had to stop some where

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:

P dog shooter,
Some how my reply to your reply did not make it into my above post.

I agree with you comments on the 223 for fast up close stuff. They are pretty good to 400 yards, even 500 yards with good ammo and a good optic, like an ACOG [good BC reticles in them], if you are using good SP or HP sporting ammo.

And as a plus you can carry lot lof ammo for the same weight vs a 308.

However, now I live in the country, and just would prefer, IF I could have ONLY ONE, the H&K 91, with the mentioned scope. I prefer the increased stand off and power of the 308, especially against cover and vehicles.

But I do agree for most people is is very hard to beat a good AR15.

I know you have sent a lot more rounds down range than I have. Have you shot a scar 17 (308) or the 300 blk on a good ar platform. My concerns about the 223 is that the rounds that penetrate are not good fight stoppers, and that the HP bullets that work well as a fight stopper don't shoot through barriers very well. In 223 the barns tsx is as good as it will get but costly.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD The 300BLK and the 6.8SPC do offer heavier bullets, and many feel they hit harder, especially up close, especially with military type ball ammo

However you can increase the effectiveness of the 223/5.56 in the Civilian and police world by using sporting ammo.

All of the 55 to 70gr SP and most of the HP ammo is much more effective than ball or Green tip ammo, except when it comes to penetration.

Which is actually a plus for most Urban defensive situations.

However you can have penetration and expansion with the proper choice of bullets. Pick a Barnes X, Federal Tactical [a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet], or a Nosler Partition, and you will have increased penetration of obsticals, and increased penetration in life forms as well. These make good hunting bullets for smaller deer sized animals in the 223 also. Expanding ammo really elevates the performance of the 223/5.56, as it does in any calibre, even the 7.62x39.